Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Time to pull the trigger
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 333 Guests

Time to pull the trigger

This thread currently has 7,887 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Eastendmariner
October 4, 2014, 9:46pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 22
Louth in the south Yep he's had three years that's long enough he's had some money The fan's patience I
I didn't see a lot today that inspired me and to be honest  you play yr best players at all times none of this tinkering bollox we are in the non league not champions league  time for a change b4 we all become so disalusioned we are down to gates of  1,000 Hurst out

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
DavidB
October 4, 2014, 9:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
Quoted from ackomariner

David, you've still not answered my previous question.......how many more years should he have?  You cannot disrupt this season because were going nowhere with ph in charge

Simple answer: review at the end of this season, but reserve the option to make a change if realistic chances of making the play-offs are fading significantly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 86
DavidB
October 4, 2014, 10:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
Quoted from friskneymariner
DavidB I think you have misunderstood what some of are saying,we are not saying going up by the automatic route is the measure of success,but the fact that Hurst ambition no further than getting to the play offs.He should be firing his team up to be champions ,not being satisfied with a play off place,and that is very much as he comes across.

I think that's the problem, how people perceive him! I would guess that his ambition is the top spot, but that the play-off route followed by promotion is a realistically achievable goal. And perhaps he's very determined and working hard getting the players to achieve this over a campaign rather than being 'gung-ho' and over-promising in his press conferences! I realise some people (fans and players) respond better to a more energetic, arms waving on the touchline. 'sorting things out' type style - but if that's not someone's natural personality it doesn't mean they haven't the ability, desire or determination to achieve things in a different way.

I suspect that - like us - he's far from satisfied currently!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2014, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from DavidB

Simple answer: review at the end of this season, but reserve the option to make a change if realistic chances of making the play-offs are fading significantly.

Like now, you mean  
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
October 4, 2014, 10:51pm
Guest User
After the game today I wanted Hurst finished and gone by tonight so he and us fans could be put out of our misery, but on reflection I can just about bare with the thought of him remaining in charge for two more glorious mornings, because if rumours are true Monday morning will be a great day for the sane fans amongst us knowing full well The most stubborn town manager in living memory will be driving that company car back down the M180 for one last time.

If your reading this Hurst it's nothing personnel you seem a good bloke, and I'll give you your due you seem to have a good eye for a player at this level it's just that your not very good at managing them, I would argue last years team was stronger than this seasons and I'd go as far as to say we were as good if not better than luton, we should of been challenging for the title rather than have the team playing with a playoff hopefuls mindset.

Ps good luck with the future you could make a great scout and if your stuck for a lift back to Rotherham message me as I've got the day off Monday an I'll be more than glad to take you back.
Reply: 74 - 86
KingstonMariner
October 4, 2014, 11:24pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DavidB
6 points from the play-offs, two-thirds of the season left, at least 2 key players to come back from injury - an away draw, and moving up a couple of places - yet it seems some people can't wait to get back on the 'sack the manager' bandwagon (I wonder how many actually saw the performance first hand today, rather than listening to the radio commentary?).

I did go an we were shite. Hurst's decisions are indefensible. Lots of other people who went said the same.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
KingstonMariner
October 4, 2014, 11:35pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

How can you possibly say this? It's a total guess on your part. The problem with making him caretaker is that he could easily get 3-4 wins under his belt, get the job by default, and turn out to be rubbish. Then we'd have to pay both him and PH off and start from scratch.

If we can't get a suitable replacement lined up straight away then the simple answer is to change manager in the summer than it can all be done properly.

I"d take that!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
KingstonMariner
October 4, 2014, 11:39pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from DavidB

That's a fairer post!

It's very clear that fans' confidence has fallen in Paul Hurst's ability to achieve the ultimate goal we all want this season (although for some they don't accept that achieving that via anything other than automatic promotion is acceptable). It's also noticeable that there are two groups, those who never had confidence in Hurst, and those whose doubt is more recent. It's very concerning: continued support and belief in the team is vital both financially and for the confidence of the team; and the increasing volume of criticism is likely to influence others' opinions, both fans and the Board.

Of course I'm bothered by the results, performances and style of play! I'm a fan, and have seen both the highs and also much more abject lows than now (not in League position, but in the 'health' of the club and the quality of the squads, managers and performances). If the current situation was really hopeless then I too would be arguing that change was needed; but I've yet to be convinced that it isn't capable of improvement. I'm arguing that it's difficult to judge - see my post on the 'Message to John Fenty' thread for some of the factors that need to be assessed.

Two things I do believe, however:

1) this level of criticism of the manager and players (e.g. some of the posts tonight about  LJL) will only add pressure and undermine confidence further - and that could be a big factor in hindering turning things around; and

2) JF has past form in seemingly being influenced by fans' / message board criticisms of a manager, and the resulting decisions have turned out disastrously: mid-season disruption could just as easily undermine any chance of promotion this season (it doesn't guarantee success and can increase the risk of failure!) That's not to say that changing the manager couldn't work - just that it needs very careful consideration, and not be a decision taken in reaction to message board demands.  

Some of us were saying he should've gone at the end of last season. The sooner he goes the better. We're unlikely to get anywhere with hurst. Experience has proved that. And that's 40 odd years of watching Town talking. You don't have to wait tip the end of the season to see that we are rank outsiders. I'm sure John Fenty realises that if he's honest with himself too. Years of watching gives you that sense of when things are likely to go well or not.

Wait tip the end of the season and the new manager has less time to get the squad signed, and organised and playing the way he wants. Change now and there's still a chance of turning this season around.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
KingstonMariner
October 4, 2014, 11:40pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from DavidB

An experienced driver can read the road and judge what is likely to happen and act early. You don't wait for the crash before you change course.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
barralad
October 5, 2014, 7:42am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Alfie
There's a board meeting on Monday to discuss his future. Big concerns about performances and team selections.

Source: two board members on the train home.

Has to go IMO. Terrible today. Experienced, wily old head like Ronnie Moore or Micky Adams for me.

We only have four board members. One definitely wasn't there and John Fenty certainly didn't go by train. The other two as far as I'm aware didn't travel to the game together. You may be right but isn't there just a possibility that you've been "wound up"?

You may of course be right and if so I'll be promoting you as the Fishy oracle from Monday onwards....

On a similar note JF was at Peterborough services on the way home where a group of Town fans left him in no doubt about their feelings on the current situation....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Time to pull the trigger

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.