Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 4, 2014, 5:09pm
If what we were told on here is right, that some board members wanted PH gone at the end of last season, then now is the last opportunity to save this season. Fenty talks about not propping up BP forever, how about not propping up this manager forever? Where we are at present after 3 winnable games 4 points out of 9, is not acceptable and this season has just about gone already.

Nothing against the man personally, but he will not get us promotion as long as he's got a hole in his bottom. Not that he's the only problem.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 4, 2014, 5:10pm; Reply: 1
Hurst out .
Posted by: Mariners_15, October 4, 2014, 5:15pm; Reply: 2
Time for a change...

UTM
Posted by: Belfast Town, October 4, 2014, 5:15pm; Reply: 3
The decision surely rests on whether promotion is now a lost cause this season. A new manager will need time to bed-in and will not achieve promotion, so the season has to be written off before we find a new manager. I don't think we're in this postion.......yet.
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 4, 2014, 5:15pm; Reply: 4
Defeat today and he may have gone, but nicking a point may save him for now.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 4, 2014, 5:18pm; Reply: 5
It's his old pal John-Lewis who's saved him for now, but ironically it's playing him constantly and tinkering with everything else in the team that's ultimately going to cost him his job.
Posted by: lancspontooner, October 4, 2014, 5:20pm; Reply: 6
He's had time and doesn't look capable of getting the players motivated. Real downfall was not signing another experienced goal-scoring striker (and so relying on LJL). It's a shame but as a season ticket holder I'm not going on Tuesday night if he's in charge. Last Tuesday's performance was an absolute disgrace - and I've seen a few over 40 odd years.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 4, 2014, 5:25pm; Reply: 7
Seriously got to go..

Fenty , if you dont act then im seriously going to question your sanity or your vision for our club!
Posted by: DavidB, October 4, 2014, 5:26pm; Reply: 8
6 points from the play-offs, two-thirds of the season left, at least 2 key players to come back from injury - an away draw, and moving up a couple of places - yet it seems some people can't wait to get back on the 'sack the manager' bandwagon (I wonder how many actually saw the performance first hand today, rather than listening to the radio commentary?).
Posted by: pontoon442, October 4, 2014, 5:26pm; Reply: 9
PH should have gone end of last season, no need to wait any longer - they'll soon be concentrating on the worthless FA Trophy
Posted by: GyMariner, October 4, 2014, 5:28pm; Reply: 10
I haven't missed a home game out of choice for my whole life barring being ill or away, and this is the first time where i just don't want to go anymore. A change may bring a spark of life back.

Act now Fenty.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 4, 2014, 5:28pm; Reply: 11
No motivation , that was clear from the first minute .  Enoughs enough . That performance was pathetic , and as manager he's responsible ultimately. Decision time for Mr F and he knows it now .
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 4, 2014, 5:29pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Belfast Town
The decision surely rests on whether promotion is now a lost cause this season. A new manager will need time to bed-in and will not achieve promotion, so the season has to be written off before we find a new manager. I don't think we're in this postion.......yet.

This is a good post and one that can be answered by Christmas or even probably now.  We have played 14 games, are now 12 points off top spot and 6 points of the play off's.

Personally I would give him until Christmas, if we are not in the play off's and performing as a promotion chasing team then he goes.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 4, 2014, 5:29pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from DavidB
6 points from the play-offs, two-thirds of the season left, at least 2 key players to come back from injury - an away draw, and moving up a couple of places - yet it seems some people can't wait to get back on the 'sack the manager' bandwagon (I wonder how many actually saw the performance first hand today, rather than listening to the radio commentary?).

Oh for fvck sake !
Posted by: DavidB, October 4, 2014, 5:29pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
No motivation , that was clear from the first minute .  Enoughs enough . That performance was pathetic , and as manager he's responsible ultimately. Decision time for Mr F and he knows it now .

Were you at the game? Or is this just your view based on the commentary?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 4, 2014, 5:31pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from DavidB

I saw it , did you ?
Posted by: DavidB, October 4, 2014, 5:32pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Oh for fvck sake !

Interesting response.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 4, 2014, 5:34pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from DavidB

Interesting response.

Were u there davidB?
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, October 4, 2014, 5:35pm; Reply: 18
95% of the problem is up top
Would any of our strikers get in the teams above us? No they wouldn't

Quick check of match stats from other matches today shows a number of teams above us had same shots on target... but they won cos they are ruthless, lethal and consistent in front of goal

Defensively we are one of best in league but we have to have the capability of winning games 2-1, 3-2, 4-2 etc... and we are miles away

We are treading water and despite being pretty patient, pretty supportive of the manager I feel it's time for a change

We are not progressing (injuries to key players has not helped) and the failure to entice a goalscorer to BP is becoming increasingly hard to fathom

Lose or draw Tuesday and he'll be gone - 2700/2800 crowd I would think and that could be the deciding factor whatever happens... even a 1-0 win and bore fest

We need a man manager, a motivator to spark a very good squad at this level; you can have all the coaching badges in the world but if you can't inspire then it's pointless

Hurst has done a decent job but it's time to be bold and say enough is enough; if he goes I hope he gets a job in football cos he's a decent, honest man.

I would like to see a young manager, possibly his first job, ex-Prem Lge or Championship player looking for a step up on managerial ladder; if they are keen enough they'll come here...Martin O'Neill started at Grantham

Why not gamble? I'd hate a journeyman, been around the block type...the club and fans need a huge lift and a feeling of optimism

UTM!!!
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 4, 2014, 5:36pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from DavidB

Thanks for the comments Mrs Hurst, nice of you to come on here.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 4, 2014, 5:39pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from DavidB

Can't be arsed to listen and I certainly can't be arsed to go on Tuesday. In fact, I'm even using my son's parents evening as an excuse not to go as I have been offered a free ticket - that's how bad it is under Hurst/Fenty whoever the manager is.
Posted by: ackomariner, October 4, 2014, 5:39pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from arryarryarry

;D whs  ;D
Posted by: DavidB, October 4, 2014, 5:40pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from arryarryarry

That was uncalled for.
Posted by: MarinerWY, October 4, 2014, 5:41pm; Reply: 23
as i said on the match thread, it's pretty hard to mitigate for this.

im not convinced that sacking a manager at this stage would be a good idea. that said, i'm drunk off and frustrated with the situation, and increasinlgy losing any confidence i might have had that hurst is the man for the job.
Posted by: ackomariner, October 4, 2014, 5:41pm; Reply: 24
Hurst seen his ar se on the radio
Posted by: denni266, October 4, 2014, 5:43pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from DavidB

Are you Hursts personal minder ,, Rose tinted glasses or what
Posted by: ginnywings, October 4, 2014, 5:44pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ackomariner

Feeling the pressure methinks.
Posted by: MarinerWY, October 4, 2014, 5:45pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from denni266

not really, just someone with a different perspective on the situation than you.
Posted by: MarinerWY, October 4, 2014, 5:47pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from arryarryarry

well that's a legitimate and well-thought out response to a different perspective, and not at all immature.
Posted by: Caesar, October 4, 2014, 5:47pm; Reply: 29
Said I would wait till seeing us today before really having a verdict on Hurst. On the train back now and for the first time I am in the full Hurst out camp.

Will not bay for his blood at matches and will fully back the team all the way. I am desperately hoping I will have to come on here and eat a large slice of Humble pie soon. Nothing would make me happier but I no longer believe Hurst can get us promoted. We were poor and created very little against a very poor Dartford team, a late peno equaliser does not hide the fact Hurst had no idea how to change the game when they played better in the second half and then took the lead.  

I would pull the trigger now, if we don't I seriously hope I am proven foolish for this post.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 4, 2014, 5:47pm; Reply: 30
If he goes now, we have time to get a guy in who can take a good squad into the play-offs. If we leave it any longer you may as well kiss goodbye to the season.

Act now John, take a risk and make a move that may go someway to salvage something from your awful tenure at this club.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 5:48pm; Reply: 31
I don't want to see any man lose his job, especially a bloke who is managing at this awful level. He might not get another chance at a full time club from here.

But it's definitely time for a change. Like most on here I imagine, the majority of my mates are Town fans and he has lost the support of the supporters. There are signs the players aren't playing for him, has he lost the dressing room? I don't think anybody believes he will lead us to promotion.

Aside from the forwards, we have a very good squad, the title looks beyond us already but we can make the play offs and with a bit of momentum we can still go up. I wonder about the mental strength of the players as well, they are not blameless but they are Hurst's players and Hurst must go. He has proved unable to attract a forward of any note, instead we get a kid from Barnsley who can't get through 30 minutes as a sub without blowing out of his bottom. We are all sick of listening to him talk up the opposition (usually part time plumber / footballers) whilst adapting his team to counter their 'threats'. He should be sending our professional footballers out there feeling ten feet tall, not with instructions not to push on too much as Bob the builder has a bit of pace!

If he isn't sacked someone can have my season ticket for Tuesday as I've had enough of his turgid football.
Posted by: chicaneuk, October 4, 2014, 5:50pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from 75
I don't want to see any man lose his job, especially a bloke who is managing at this awful level. He might not get another chance at a full time club from here.

But it's definitely time for a change. Like most on here I imagine, the majority of my mates are Town fans and he has lost the support of the supporters. There are signs the players aren't playing for him, has he lost the dressing room? I don't think anybody believes he will lead us to promotion.

Aside from the forwards, we have a very good squad, the title looks beyond us already but we can make the play offs and with a bit of momentum we can still go up. I wonder about the mental strength of the players as well, they are not blameless but they are Hurst's players and Hurst must go. He has proved unable to attract a forward of any note, instead we get a kid from Barnsley who can't get through 30 minutes as a sub without blowing out of his bottom. We are all sick of listening to him talk up the opposition (usually part time plumber / footballers) whilst adapting his team to counter their 'threats'. He should be sending our professional footballers out there feeling ten feet tall, not with instructions not to push on too much as Bob the builder has a bit of pace!

If he isn't sacked someone can have my season ticket for Tuesday as I've had enough of his turgid football.

I think that pretty much sums it up for me too. Sadly, I think it really is time for change.

Posted by: Tom13, October 4, 2014, 5:51pm; Reply: 33
I wouldn't say Hurst would struggle to get another job at this level (not saying we should keep him btw), someone like Lincoln (whose fans are unhappy with their manager also) would suit him quite well because he wouldn't be expected to play as expansive football in a mid-table team.
Posted by: samg, October 4, 2014, 5:54pm; Reply: 34
About time the players stood up to be counted - that starting 11 should be despatching teams like Dartford,and also the 11 that started against Southport on Tuesday (the team that was picked was the team most of us would have picked) Hurst can pick and prepare the team but it's up to the players to start performing!
Posted by: DavidB, October 4, 2014, 6:01pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from denni266

No, I've just got different views to you. And I like to wear glasses which I hope are tinted by perspective and fairness (with an enduring bias to the success of GTFC).

My reason for posting on this thread is because I'm reacting to an apparent bandwagon of anti-Hurst views, where it seems that some people can't wait for an opportunity to call for his sacking. I believe it's important to reflect some balance (in case the absence of any counter-views is interpreted by some as indicating that there's 100% support on the Fishy for sacking Hurst!).

Anybody would think we're out of contention for the play-offs, with a weak disjointed squad and poor players - none of those is the case. Yes, recent results and performances could have been better - and it would be great to be promoted without the angst of the play-offs - but whilst there is still a good chance of being promoted and the ability within the club to achieve this I'd rather direct my energies to supporting these efforts rather than undermining confidence amongst players, management and fellow-fans.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 4, 2014, 6:11pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from DavidB

No, I've just got different views to you. And I like to wear glasses which I hope are tinted by perspective and fairness (with an enduring bias to the success of GTFC).

My reason for posting on this thread is because I'm reacting to an apparent bandwagon of anti-Hurst views, where it seems that some people can't wait for an opportunity to call for his sacking. I believe it's important to reflect some balance (in case the absence of any counter-views is interpreted by some as indicating that there's 100% support on the Fishy for sacking Hurst!).

Anybody would think we're out of contention for the play-offs, with a weak disjointed squad and poor players - none of those is the case. Yes, recent results and performances could have been better - and it would be great to be promoted without the angst of the play-offs - but whilst there is still a good chance of being promoted and the ability within the club to achieve this I'd rather direct my energies to supporting these efforts rather than undermining confidence amongst players, management and fellow-fans.

Have you had them happy pills? We've got zero chance of promotion.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 4, 2014, 6:14pm; Reply: 37
I politely told the chairman at HT it was time for a change . I can't see how he could have thought he wasnt going to have to make a difficult decision tonight until LJL got that lucky pen that delays the inevitable . Hursts a good bloke , unlike that clown Scott or Newell . Unfortunately the fans patience has just about run out , he's had 3 years , it's not working , it nearly has but that's not enough .
Hurst out .
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 4, 2014, 6:17pm; Reply: 38
In reply to DavidB: it is the performances of the players that underminded the confidence of the fans.Paul Hurst has  had a very easy ride so far and had the the support of the fans.It is because of his ineptitude that this has evaporated.We started the season woefully unprepared,his failure to get another striker before the transfer window closed,was brush off ,by we can get one when the loan window opens,where is one then.

Perhaps this is a case of '' you can fool all of the people some of the time etc. ''
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 4, 2014, 6:20pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from DavidB

People have been supporting those efforts ever since we fell into this crappy league and thus far it has got the team absolutely nowhere. Standing still is the step before the relegation battle not the step before promotion. As the manager signs the players and selects the team and decides the tactics he is the one who is most accountable for the current malaise. There is no optimism in the stands because there is no optimism in the club - that's the way it works David, not the other way round. There's only two people who can alter that.
Posted by: chaos33, October 4, 2014, 6:24pm; Reply: 40
And i'd like those two people out of the club.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 4, 2014, 6:24pm; Reply: 41

Were u there davidB?

Obviously DavidB wasn't there .

If he fooking was he would probably be thinking along the same lines
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 6:29pm; Reply: 42
I politely told the chairman at HT it was time for a change .  

What was his reaction or response?
Posted by: Garth, October 4, 2014, 6:29pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from ackomariner

As long as Bender did`nt ;)
Posted by: 75 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 6:30pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from 1739

What was his reaction or response?

He decontructed Louthinthesouths half time pie.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 4, 2014, 6:31pm; Reply: 45
Get a replacement lined up first otherwise we'll end up with Doig.
Posted by: DavidB, October 4, 2014, 6:31pm; Reply: 46

Obviously DavidB wasn't there .

If he fooking was he would probably be thinking along the same lines

I wasn't, but it's arguably a big presumption to think that I'd have had a different opinion had I been there!
And my original question was about how many of the 'Hurst out' posters had been there (obviously you were, but I suspect many would have been listening to JT like me - I'd find it hard to jump to such a conclusion from the commentary alone).
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 4, 2014, 6:36pm; Reply: 47
I politely told the chairman at HT it was time for a change . I can't see how he could have thought he wasnt going to have to make a difficult decision tonight until LJL got that lucky pen that delays the inevitable . Hursts a good bloke , unlike that clown Scott or Newell . Unfortunately the fans patience has just about run out , he's had 3 years , it's not working , it nearly has but that's not enough .
Hurst out .

what did he say or did he politely ignore you ?
Posted by: Alfie, October 4, 2014, 6:41pm; Reply: 48
There's a board meeting on Monday to discuss his future. Big concerns about performances and team selections.

Source: two board members on the train home.

Has to go IMO. Terrible today. Experienced, wily old head like Ronnie Moore or Micky Adams for me.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 4, 2014, 6:42pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Alfie
There's a board meeting on Monday to discuss his future. Big concerns about performances and team selections.

Has to go IMO. Terrible today. Experienced, wily old head like Ronnie Moore or Micky Adams for me.

I think I just did a sex wee.
Posted by: grimps, October 4, 2014, 6:55pm; Reply: 50
Hurst is not learning or improving in anyway shape or form.
He makes the same mistakes every season and It'll only get worse once he embarks on his FA trophy campaign , Sack him tonight Mr Fenty and put him out of his misery and give us a small chance of getting in the play offs.
Even Doig might be good enough if he has seen the mistakes Hurst has been making and can get the best 11 playing
Posted by: gtfc82, October 4, 2014, 6:57pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Alfie

I hope you're right, but I find these 'i heard from a reliable source' posts hard to believe!
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 4, 2014, 6:58pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from MarinerWY

well that's a legitimate and well-thought out response to a different perspective, and not at all immature.

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

Posted by: fiveallive, October 4, 2014, 7:00pm; Reply: 53
Steve Burr for me he plays the right way his teams play for 90 mins, and he has picked up some diamonds at this level.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 4, 2014, 7:02pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from fiveallive
Steve Burr for me he plays the right way his teams play for 90 mins, and he has picked up some diamonds at this level.

yep.

done well with teams with half the budget of us so lets see what he can do with a club with more resources.

his kiddy teams were always impressive.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 4, 2014, 7:15pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from GrimRob
Get a replacement lined up first otherwise we'll end up with Doig.

What is wrong with that ?

I think Doig will get us to play better football than Hurst,

Give him the job as c/taker until we get the right man in,

Unless the right man can start on Tuesday morning.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 4, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from grimsby pete

I'd prefer a new start on Monday myself Pete
Posted by: RoboCod, October 4, 2014, 7:24pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'd prefer a new start on Monday myself Pete

Ok, job's yours 8)
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 4, 2014, 8:17pm; Reply: 58
David B canes people for not being at the game and says making a judgement via a radio commentary is unacceptable then finally admits he listened on the radio himself ;D

David 3300 watched the non performance against Southport and I will give you the benefit of doubt and assume you were there please explain why we should persevere with Hurst,what has he done since the Gateshead Play Off defeat to justify his role?
Posted by: DavidB, October 4, 2014, 8:25pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from 1mickylyons
David B canes people for not being at the game and says making a judgement via a radio commentary is unacceptable then finally admits he listened on the radio himself ;D

David 3300 watched the non performance against Southport and I will give you the benefit of doubt and assume you were there please explain why we should persevere with Hurst,what has he done since the Gateshead Play Off defeat to justify his role?

Please re-read my post - that is a misrepresentation.

In answer to the second part of your post I suggest you re-read my other recent posts: they argue for balance and perspective in the light of several 'season's over' type comments.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 4, 2014, 8:35pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from DavidB

Please re-read my post - that is a misrepresentation.

In answer to the second part of your post I suggest you re-read my other recent posts: they argue for balance and perspective in the light of several 'season's over' type comments.

David im genuinely curious as to why fellow Town fans think we should stick with him at this point and yes ive read your posts but you don't suggest any benefit to keeping him?Do you enjoy the style of football being served at present?If the style doesn't bother you and you are only interested in results are they acceptable?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 4, 2014, 9:08pm; Reply: 61
I resent the fact that we keep getting told our wish to see PH replaced is a knee jerknreaction and does not take intonaccount injuries etc. After the play off loss there was a considered debate about his future and whilst many of us wanted change we could accept PH getting another chance to get us up.

However, the over riding caveat was that the standard of entertainment improve. When I have gone home following the 3-2 losses, at home to Macclesfield last year and Lincoln this, I at least enjoyed the matches and would be happy to go next game. But these are a rarity as are quality winning performances, they happen but all too rarely.

After a quarter of the season the entetainment has not improved nor has the consistency of the team who appear to fear playing at BP where we are in reality crying out for something to cheer and a team to once again be proud of.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 4, 2014, 9:12pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from grimsby pete

How can you possibly say this? It's a total guess on your part. The problem with making him caretaker is that he could easily get 3-4 wins under his belt, get the job by default, and turn out to be rubbish. Then we'd have to pay both him and PH off and start from scratch.

If we can't get a suitable replacement lined up straight away then the simple answer is to change manager in the summer than it can all be done properly.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 4, 2014, 9:17pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
I resent the fact that we keep getting told our wish to see PH replaced is a knee jerknreaction and does not take intonaccount injuries etc. After the play off loss there was a considered debate about his future and whilst many of us wanted change we could accept PH getting another chance to get us up.

However, the over riding caveat was that the standard of entertainment improve. When I have gone home following the 3-2 losses, at home to Macclesfield last year and Lincoln this, I at least enjoyed the matches and would be happy to go next game. But these are a rarity as are quality winning performances, they happen but all too rarely.

After a quarter of the season the entetainment has not improved nor has the consistency of the team who appear to fear playing at BP where we are in reality crying out for something to cheer and a team to once again be proud of.

If Town had managed to launch some attacks or get Southport under sustained pressure there were literally hundreds waiting to get behind them but instead they got 90 mins of nothing and only gave a few murmurs of abuse to Brodie.
Posted by: DavidB, October 4, 2014, 9:17pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from 1mickylyons

David im genuinely curious as to why fellow Town fans think we should stick with him at this point and yes ive read your posts but you don't suggest any benefit to keeping him?Do you enjoy the style of football being served at present?If the style doesn't bother you and you are only interested in results are they acceptable?

That's a fairer post!

It's very clear that fans' confidence has fallen in Paul Hurst's ability to achieve the ultimate goal we all want this season (although for some they don't accept that achieving that via anything other than automatic promotion is acceptable). It's also noticeable that there are two groups, those who never had confidence in Hurst, and those whose doubt is more recent. It's very concerning: continued support and belief in the team is vital both financially and for the confidence of the team; and the increasing volume of criticism is likely to influence others' opinions, both fans and the Board.

Of course I'm bothered by the results, performances and style of play! I'm a fan, and have seen both the highs and also much more abject lows than now (not in League position, but in the 'health' of the club and the quality of the squads, managers and performances). If the current situation was really hopeless then I too would be arguing that change was needed; but I've yet to be convinced that it isn't capable of improvement. I'm arguing that it's difficult to judge - see my post on the 'Message to John Fenty' thread for some of the factors that need to be assessed.

Two things I do believe, however:

1) this level of criticism of the manager and players (e.g. some of the posts tonight about  LJL) will only add pressure and undermine confidence further - and that could be a big factor in hindering turning things around; and

2) JF has past form in seemingly being influenced by fans' / message board criticisms of a manager, and the resulting decisions have turned out disastrously: mid-season disruption could just as easily undermine any chance of promotion this season (it doesn't guarantee success and can increase the risk of failure!) That's not to say that changing the manager couldn't work - just that it needs very careful consideration, and not be a decision taken in reaction to message board demands.  
Posted by: ackomariner, October 4, 2014, 9:23pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from DavidB

That's a fairer post!

It's very clear that fans' confidence has fallen in Paul Hurst's ability to achieve the ultimate goal we all want this season (although for some they don't accept that achieving that via anything other than automatic promotion is acceptable). It's also noticeable that there are two groups, those who never had confidence in Hurst, and those whose doubt is more recent. It's very concerning: continued support and belief in the team is vital both financially and for the confidence of the team; and the increasing volume of criticism is likely to influence others' opinions, both fans and the Board.

Of course I'm bothered by the results, performances and style of play! I'm a fan, and have seen both the highs and also much more abject lows than now (not in League position, but in the 'health' of the club and the quality of the squads, managers and performances). If the current situation was really hopeless then I too would be arguing that change was needed; but I've yet to be convinced that it isn't capable of improvement. I'm arguing that it's difficult to judge - see my post on the 'Message to John Fenty' thread for some of the factors that need to be assessed.

1) this level of criticism of the manager and players (e.g. some of the posts tonight about  LJL) will only add pressure and undermine confidence further - and that could be a big factor in hindering turning things around; and

2) JF has past form in seemingly being influenced by fans' / message board criticisms of a manager, and the resulting decisions have turned out disastrously: mid-season disruption could just as easily undermine any chance of promotion this season (it doesn't guarantee success and can increase the risk of failure!) That's not to say that changing the manager couldn't work - just that it needs very careful consideration, and not be a decision taken in reaction to message board demands.  

David, you've still not answered my previous question.......how many more years should he have?  You cannot disrupt this season because were going nowhere with ph in charge
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 4, 2014, 9:27pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from DavidB

That's a fairer post!

Very good post and nice to see someone try and genuinely answer some questions sensibly without resorting to personal insults. I confess to going over the top myself at times and I usually regret it. My gripe with Paul Hurst is his endless negativity before games David I feel he constantly undermines the team by talking up the opposition and none of the great Managers at Town or elsewhere have ever done this it`s a total cop out on his part. What it allows him is in the event Town lose he can say I told you so and so was dangerous for Dartford/Southport blah blah blah.I would think you have read Buckley`s book and in there not once does he say anything about worrying over the opposition imagine Southport turning up at Blundell Park last Tuesday with the papers predicting an avalanche of goals and a wall of noise it would have them on the backfoot instead well we all saw...........
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 4, 2014, 9:33pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from DavidB

I wasn't, but it's arguably a big presumption to think that I'd have had a different opinion had I been there!
And my original question was about how many of the 'Hurst out' posters had been there (obviously you were, but I suspect many would have been listening to JT like me - I'd find it hard to jump to such a conclusion from the commentary alone).

Thankyou for admitting DB .
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 4, 2014, 9:35pm; Reply: 68
Steve Burr for me .
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 4, 2014, 9:36pm; Reply: 69
DavidB I think you have misunderstood what some of are saying,we are not saying going up by the automatic route is the measure of success,but the fact that Hurst ambition no further than getting to the play offs.He should be firing his team up to be champions ,not being satisfied with a play off place,and that is very much as he comes across.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, October 4, 2014, 9:46pm; Reply: 70
Louth in the south Yep he's had three years that's long enough he's had some money The fan's patience I
I didn't see a lot today that inspired me and to be honest  you play yr best players at all times none of this tinkering bollox we are in the non league not champions league  time for a change b4 we all become so disalusioned we are down to gates of  1,000 Hurst out
Posted by: DavidB, October 4, 2014, 9:49pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from ackomariner

David, you've still not answered my previous question.......how many more years should he have?  You cannot disrupt this season because were going nowhere with ph in charge

Simple answer: review at the end of this season, but reserve the option to make a change if realistic chances of making the play-offs are fading significantly.
Posted by: DavidB, October 4, 2014, 10:01pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from friskneymariner
DavidB I think you have misunderstood what some of are saying,we are not saying going up by the automatic route is the measure of success,but the fact that Hurst ambition no further than getting to the play offs.He should be firing his team up to be champions ,not being satisfied with a play off place,and that is very much as he comes across.

I think that's the problem, how people perceive him! I would guess that his ambition is the top spot, but that the play-off route followed by promotion is a realistically achievable goal. And perhaps he's very determined and working hard getting the players to achieve this over a campaign rather than being 'gung-ho' and over-promising in his press conferences! I realise some people (fans and players) respond better to a more energetic, arms waving on the touchline. 'sorting things out' type style - but if that's not someone's natural personality it doesn't mean they haven't the ability, desire or determination to achieve things in a different way.

I suspect that - like us - he's far from satisfied currently!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 4, 2014, 10:02pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from DavidB

Simple answer: review at the end of this season, but reserve the option to make a change if realistic chances of making the play-offs are fading significantly.

Like now, you mean  8)
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 10:51pm; Reply: 74
After the game today I wanted Hurst finished and gone by tonight so he and us fans could be put out of our misery, but on reflection I can just about bare with the thought of him remaining in charge for two more glorious mornings, because if rumours are true Monday morning will be a great day for the sane fans amongst us knowing full well The most stubborn town manager in living memory will be driving that company car back down the M180 for one last time.

If your reading this Hurst it's nothing personnel you seem a good bloke, and I'll give you your due you seem to have a good eye for a player at this level it's just that your not very good at managing them, I would argue last years team was stronger than this seasons and I'd go as far as to say we were as good if not better than luton, we should of been challenging for the title rather than have the team playing with a playoff hopefuls mindset.

Ps good luck with the future you could make a great scout and if your stuck for a lift back to Rotherham message me as I've got the day off Monday an I'll be more than glad to take you back.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 4, 2014, 11:24pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from DavidB

I did go an we were shite. Hurst's decisions are indefensible. Lots of other people who went said the same.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 4, 2014, 11:35pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from GrimRob

How can you possibly say this? It's a total guess on your part. The problem with making him caretaker is that he could easily get 3-4 wins under his belt, get the job by default, and turn out to be rubbish. Then we'd have to pay both him and PH off and start from scratch.

If we can't get a suitable replacement lined up straight away then the simple answer is to change manager in the summer than it can all be done properly.

I"d take that!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 4, 2014, 11:39pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from DavidB

That's a fairer post!

Some of us were saying he should've gone at the end of last season. The sooner he goes the better. We're unlikely to get anywhere with hurst. Experience has proved that. And that's 40 odd years of watching Town talking. You don't have to wait tip the end of the season to see that we are rank outsiders. I'm sure John Fenty realises that if he's honest with himself too. Years of watching gives you that sense of when things are likely to go well or not.

Wait tip the end of the season and the new manager has less time to get the squad signed, and organised and playing the way he wants. Change now and there's still a chance of turning this season around.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 4, 2014, 11:40pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from DavidB

An experienced driver can read the road and judge what is likely to happen and act early. You don't wait for the crash before you change course.
Posted by: barralad, October 5, 2014, 7:42am; Reply: 79
Quoted from Alfie

We only have four board members. One definitely wasn't there and John Fenty certainly didn't go by train. The other two as far as I'm aware didn't travel to the game together. You may be right but isn't there just a possibility that you've been "wound up"?

You may of course be right and if so I'll be promoting you as the Fishy oracle from Monday onwards.... :)

On a similar note JF was at Peterborough services on the way home where a group of Town fans left him in no doubt about their feelings on the current situation....
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 9:35am; Reply: 80
[quote=228]

We only have four board members. One definitely wasn't there and John Fenty certainly didn't go by train. The other two as far as I'm aware didn't travel to the game together. You may be right but isn't there just a possibility that you've been "wound up"?

quote]

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/two-new-board-members-977208.aspx

Dave Robert, Jon Wood and Chris Parker (Chris Parker replacemeant) now are all on the board. On top of that there is obviously Fenty.

Are Michael Chapman, Philip Day and  John Elsom also on the board as well?
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 9:35am; Reply: 81
[quote=228]

quote]

Dave Robert, Jon Wood and Chris Parker (Chris Parker replacemeant) now are all on the board. On top of that there is obviously Fenty.

Posted by: barralad, October 5, 2014, 10:22am; Reply: 82
Quoted from 1739
[quote=228]

quote]

I've no idea where you get the idea that Chris Parker is on the board from. I'm pretty sure one of Elsom and Chapman are no longer and I don't know who Philip Day is!

Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 10:34am; Reply: 83
Quoted from barralad

I've no idea where you get the idea that Chris Parker is on the board from. I'm pretty sure one of Elsom and Chapman are no longer and I don't know who Philip Day is!

I was under the impression that he was. He probably isn't.

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/new-director-on-board-1201500.aspx

Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 5, 2014, 12:40pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from barralad

I find it quite concerning that the Trust board don't know who's on the club board

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/club/whos_who/
Posted by: LookBackInAngers, October 6, 2014, 12:46pm; Reply: 85
Very wet drive down.Almost as wet a performance by many of the "team",BUT still we should have won.Don't know what that tells us.Will a good win on Tuesday paper over the cracks or provide encouragement for two tough and distant away games?
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 6, 2014, 12:58pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from GrimRob

How can you possibly say this? !.

It's a total guess on your part. The problem with making him caretaker is that he could easily get 3-4 wins under his belt, get the job by default, and turn out to be rubbish. Then we'd have to pay both him and PH off and start from scratch.  "2

1      I just open my mouth and words come out  ;D

2    Who can say anybody will make a success of anything unless you give them a chance, I did say c/taker unless we have somebody lined up,

3   So we wait until the end of the season and we still have not got a striker signed, gates will drop off and cost the club any money we would have to sign any decent players the new manager might want,

The time to act is now while we can still turn this season into a promotion season,

Not wait until it's too late.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 5:40am