Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Question about the manager.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 201 Guests

Question about the manager.

This thread currently has 7,060 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TAGG
October 4, 2014, 9:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,969
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from ginnywings

That is not the task of the fans, it is the task of the board. Other clubs seem to find successful mangers, even if it takes a few attempts.

The fact that we turned to Neil Woods in our darkest hour shows how clueless the decision makers are at this club. They just seem to be happy to pootle along in the Conference as long as we look like we might get a play off spot and maybe a bit of dosh from a cup run or two.

Also Rob keeps referring to a vocal minority which is not my experience. Just about every Town fan i know (quite a lot) is not happy with Hurst at the helm and most of them have stopped going to games. I've missed the last 2 myself and that's something i haven't done for a long time.

The Scunny and Huddersfield games last season reminded me what it is supposed to be like watching football but occasions like that are as rare as rocking horse excrement nowadays.

Like many, i've been bored into submission.

Great post ginny
I have not stopped going yet but its on the horizon. I have stopped going to watch Town once that was about 10 games into Newell's reign but went straight back after he left UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
mariner tommy
October 4, 2014, 9:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
I'm a season ticket holder, I go every game.
Every season I say to myself, that's enough, no season ticket this year.
But I still get one, year in, year out.
Every game I say to myself, this is it, this is the turning point. I am still waiting.
We will get out of this league, I just don't know when, even if it's only by the law of averages, but we will.
Until that day comes I will carry on being happy when we win and moaning all the way home when we lose.
Because that's what this club means to me. I wish I could get rid of the passion inside to give it a rest for a while, but I can't.
So I for one will just carry on week in week out watching every game as I have done for years.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
DocTower
October 4, 2014, 9:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from ginnywings

That is not the task of the fans, it is the task of the board. Other clubs seem to find successful mangers, even if it takes a few attempts.

The fact that we turned to Neil Woods in our darkest hour shows how clueless the decision makers are at this club. They just seem to be happy to pootle along in the Conference as long as we look like we might get a play off spot and maybe a bit of dosh from a cup run or two.

Also Rob keeps referring to a vocal minority which is not my experience. Just about every Town fan i know (quite a lot) is not happy with Hurst at the helm and most of them have stopped going to games. I've missed the last 2 myself and that's something i haven't done for a long time.

The Scunny and Huddersfield games last season reminded me what it is supposed to be like watching football but occasions like that are as rare as rocking horse excrement nowadays.

Like many, i've been bored into submission.

your last line sums it up . We have been bored into submission . Blind faith , brain washed whatever it is . Once you get out of the habit of going to watch Town it's hard to return . No excitement , no inspiration no hope .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
grimsby pete
October 4, 2014, 9:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Maybe we need a poll to say Hurst should stay or go.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
ginnywings
October 4, 2014, 10:09am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from grimsby pete
Maybe we need a poll to say Hurst should stay or go.

OOh! Naughty.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
MuddyWaters
October 4, 2014, 10:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from DocTower

your last line sums it up . We have been bored into submission . Blind faith , brain washed whatever it is . Once you get out of the habit of going to watch Town it's hard to return . No excitement , no inspiration no hope .

Exactly. Watching Town is 0% aspiration, 100% perspiration and somewhere in the middle desperation.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
mariner91
October 4, 2014, 10:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,576
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Exactly. Watching Town is 0% aspiration, 100% perspiration and somewhere in the middle desperation.

If you're sweating from sitting down watching a game I think you need to exercise more!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 4, 2014, 10:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You are right. You only have to read the "get real" and "playoff place is a success" posts on here to see that a lot of fans have lost true aspiration for the club after so long in this crap league. The next step is celebrating an escape from relegation.

The lack of ambition in the club is gradually wearing away the ambitions of the supporters and that will eventually be reflected in lower gates, less money, less success, less ambition ............

That cycle will never be broken by sensible, safety first, budget conscious managers who don't have the spark to enthuse and won't risk an exciting and attacking playing style to woo back the doubters.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
MeanwoodMariner
October 4, 2014, 11:06am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from GrimRob

They are deluding themselves that PH is anywhere near being sacked. Two terrific wins followed by one disappointing defeat is not the precursor to a sacking.

This has kept occurring to me. Clearly there are some very passionate fans on here that want him gone, and are even surprised that he hasn't been sacked already. But away from the Fishy there seems very little hint that the board are even considering it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
friskneymariner
October 4, 2014, 11:15am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Spot on Mariner Tommy, I have been supporting Town for over fifty years,each game means a 100 mile round trip.
In all those years close relatives have died ,relationship have come and gone ,children have been born, grown up and left the nest.The one constant in my life has been Grimsby Town,however I am nearly at the point when enough is enough.
I am sorry to say this ,but I am so frustrated at the inability of the management to address what is the bleeding obvious,that I am questioning my commitment.
The thing is Mr Fenty if I feel like this how many others feel similar.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Question about the manager.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.