Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Question about the manager.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 250 Guests

Question about the manager.

This thread currently has 7,030 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
LongEatonMariner
October 2, 2014, 1:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings
Do people consider Hurst to have been here for 1 year or 4 years. Does his reign as Rob Scott's joint manager count or are people judging him solely on his solo stint?

Think it's a relevant point as to how people judge his success or lack of.

Does he need more time or has he had too much is the point i'm trying to make.

Whatever supports their argument of either:

(He's not been here two mins) give him a chance, or
He's excrement (he's never going to get us out, even if we give him three / four / five / sixty years, bring back AB etc)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
biggles9999
October 2, 2014, 1:51pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from friskneymariner

Yes but they may  have  taken action to rectify their weaknesses,can you really say that you have any confidence for Hurst to solve our striker problem,which was apparent before the season started.Now we are nearly a third of the way through the season it still has not  been addressed.This is the issue: the inability of Hurst to identify a problem and solve it quickly. Until the issues are recognised and addressed we will just be treading water and getting further out of touch with the leaders,that is reality.

I think that Hurst has tried to solve the striker problem, although been unsuccessful. I was surprised to hear that Rory Fallon had been on trial with us, is this the player that was supposed to get the hair standing on the back of our necks?

I think that too a degree he has been unlucky with players. Its all well and good saying that we knew Pittman was injury prone, but players can get over these problems and he probably thought that he would be able to bring in another one before the season - that he didnt is his fault. But then again how was he to also legislate for Arnold and Hannah picking up injuries at the start of the season? In Hurst's mind he may well think that he actually has 5 strikers on the books currently.

For me the biggest issue that Hurst hasnt solved is not our striker problem as such, it is our playing style. There are times when we play some excellent football and we look dangerous. But then there is too much time when we do look long and high for too quickly, rather than play to our strengths of getting the ball into LJL's feet (imo our best target men in this sense) and look to play one twos.

There does seem to be a bit of a push to do this but some small errors are still being made. A big stand out for me on Tuesday was that Southport, for fairly large periods of the game, were sat very deep giving us a lot of opportunities from distance. In theory this would also mean you could look to slip the ball into the channels between full back and centre back. Yet Lennell was making these runs rather than Hannah (who was dropping short) which based on what I see of the two is completely backwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 62
grimsby pete
October 2, 2014, 5:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from biggles9999

I am not a Hurst apologist, at the moment I am on the border of wanting a change, but you keep quoting this one as if a team has never had a bad start and the best teams always shoot out of the blocks. Plenty of teams have started slowly and yet still gone on to be successful during a season.

I think if you read my post I have always said , it's not how you start its how you finish,

My main complaint this season is, with the best squad we have had Hurst can not get the players to play well more than 2 games in a row.

I hope he proves me wrong and gets us promoted,

If he does , I will run round the docks naked,

OOPS!!!!  I think somebody said that a few years back.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
Teestogreen
October 2, 2014, 5:46pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
The way Town played with John Paul Pitman in the team and Patrick McLaughlin was a delight. The balance, desire, confidence in team players play was right.  JPP is injured and Patrick is subbing. I think this is the subtle difference between, where we were (earlier in the season) and where we are now.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
moosey_club
October 2, 2014, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220

.This is the issue: the inability of Hurst to identify a problem and solve it quickly.
Until the issues are recognised and addressed we will just be treading water and getting further out of touch with the leaders,that is reality.

Not quite true...if a defender sneezes he will have a loanee in before the seal on the kleenex is broken.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 62
gtfc82
October 2, 2014, 7:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from Teestogreen
The way Town played with John Paul Pitman in the team and Patrick McLaughlin was a delight. The balance, desire, confidence in team players play was right.  JPP is injured and Patrick is subbing. I think this is the subtle difference between, where we were (earlier in the season) and where we are now.

Agree with that! Also the change back to 442 has led to a 'lump it to Lenny' style which is incredibly predictable, boring and rarely works!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
grimsby pete
October 2, 2014, 7:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I see Clay has got a bug

Left in the changing rooms from the Chester lot I bet.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
ginnywings
October 2, 2014, 8:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
This thread has not gone the way I thought and has turned into another anti Hurst procession. I was just curious as to people's opinions about his tenure. Was the slate wiped clean when Scott was given the heave-ho, and if so, does he deserve more time like a new manager would be afforded?

Town don't do simple. They appoint joint managers just to put a new twist on things.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
Cod Cheeks
October 2, 2014, 8:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
I think the real manager is sat in the directors box and has been for some years
The only thing missing is the walki talki
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
mariner2000
October 2, 2014, 8:58pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3

Yes but they may  have  taken action to rectify their weaknesses,can you really say that you have any confidence for Hurst to solve our striker problem,which was apparent before the season started.Now we are nearly a third of the way through the season it still has not  been addressed.This is the issue: the inability of Hurst to identify a problem and solve it quickly. Until the issues are recognised and addressed we will just be treading water and getting further out of touch with the leaders,that is reality.

I agree there is a striker problem but it's bigger than that even if he brought in the best possible striker we would still no doubt not play the right tactics for the players we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 19 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Question about the manager.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.