Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, October 2, 2014, 9:27am
Do people consider Hurst to have been here for 1 year or 4 years. Does his reign as Rob Scott's joint manager count or are people judging him solely on his solo stint?

Think it's a relevant point as to how people judge his success or lack of.

Does he need more time or has he had too much is the point i'm trying to make.
Posted by: carrot top, October 2, 2014, 9:58am; Reply: 1
In my opinion he is set in his ways and he will not take us out of this league. He has had long enough. I question some of his signings and his lack of ability in bringing in a competent striker. I also question the the tactics when LJL is on the field as this is really detrimental to Hannah's style of play (off the shoulder). Punting up the field is hopeless when we should be looking to get around the back. I thought that was why he signed Makreth who got round the back on Saturday which resulted in Arnold's goal.

The other night the players did not look to be up for it and that is the Manager's responsibility. Something is clearly not right and our inconsistency proves it.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 2, 2014, 11:15am; Reply: 2
I think we  all agree the signings he has made have been good ones,

We have a very strong team,

BUT

Why are we 13th in the league after 13 games, ?
Posted by: biggles9999, October 2, 2014, 11:35am; Reply: 3
Quoted from grimsby pete
I think we  all agree the signings he has made have been good ones,

We have a very strong team,

BUT

Why are we 13th in the league after 13 games, ?

I am not a Hurst apologist, at the moment I am on the border of wanting a change, but you keep quoting this one as if a team has never had a bad start and the best teams always shoot out of the blocks. Plenty of teams have started slowly and yet still gone on to be successful during a season.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 2, 2014, 11:41am; Reply: 4
Just over 3 and a half years.
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 2, 2014, 1:02pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from biggles9999

I am not a Hurst apologist, at the moment I am on the border of wanting a change, but you keep quoting this one as if a team has never had a bad start and the best teams always shoot out of the blocks. Plenty of teams have started slowly and yet still gone on to be successful during a season.

Yes but they may  have  taken action to rectify their weaknesses,can you really say that you have any confidence for Hurst to solve our striker problem,which was apparent before the season started.Now we are nearly a third of the way through the season it still has not  been addressed.This is the issue: the inability of Hurst to identify a problem and solve it quickly. Until the issues are recognised and addressed we will just be treading water and getting further out of touch with the leaders,that is reality.
Posted by: maxfox44, October 2, 2014, 1:15pm; Reply: 6
I prefer a slightly different view, Hurst has brought in some decent players who I think are probably good enough to in contention for promotion.  But he's reached his limited and making a change now, could spark the team to go on the run we now need.  All I hear from the pro-Hurst is..."who would you get?  Or, new manager would have to start again, writing off the season".  But surely, a change of approach doesn't have to be about starting from scratch, does it?
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 2, 2014, 1:23pm; Reply: 7
Agree with you max ,think we have got some decent players,but not in the striking department ,which has been  obvious from pre-season.Hurst's failure is not addressing this.
Posted by: Garth, October 2, 2014, 1:24pm; Reply: 8
A new manager would be told to work with the players we have with possibly three new additions, take it or leave it
Posted by: maxfox44, October 2, 2014, 1:43pm; Reply: 9
That's positive in my opinion, Garth.  A potential manager could be interviewed on the basis of, "this is your squad, tell us how you'd play with them", "there is room in the budget for three players, what positions would you improve and with whom."

The financial constraints prevents mass-sweeping changes, which the pro-Hurst band are suggesting would happen if we made a change.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, October 2, 2014, 1:49pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from ginnywings
Do people consider Hurst to have been here for 1 year or 4 years. Does his reign as Rob Scott's joint manager count or are people judging him solely on his solo stint?

Think it's a relevant point as to how people judge his success or lack of.

Does he need more time or has he had too much is the point i'm trying to make.

Whatever supports their argument of either:

(He's not been here two mins) give him a chance, or
He's excrement (he's never going to get us out, even if we give him three / four / five / sixty years, bring back AB etc)
Posted by: biggles9999, October 2, 2014, 1:51pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from friskneymariner

Yes but they may  have  taken action to rectify their weaknesses,can you really say that you have any confidence for Hurst to solve our striker problem,which was apparent before the season started.Now we are nearly a third of the way through the season it still has not  been addressed.This is the issue: the inability of Hurst to identify a problem and solve it quickly. Until the issues are recognised and addressed we will just be treading water and getting further out of touch with the leaders,that is reality.

I think that Hurst has tried to solve the striker problem, although been unsuccessful. I was surprised to hear that Rory Fallon had been on trial with us, is this the player that was supposed to get the hair standing on the back of our necks?

I think that too a degree he has been unlucky with players. Its all well and good saying that we knew Pittman was injury prone, but players can get over these problems and he probably thought that he would be able to bring in another one before the season - that he didnt is his fault. But then again how was he to also legislate for Arnold and Hannah picking up injuries at the start of the season? In Hurst's mind he may well think that he actually has 5 strikers on the books currently.

For me the biggest issue that Hurst hasnt solved is not our striker problem as such, it is our playing style. There are times when we play some excellent football and we look dangerous. But then there is too much time when we do look long and high for too quickly, rather than play to our strengths of getting the ball into LJL's feet (imo our best target men in this sense) and look to play one twos.

There does seem to be a bit of a push to do this but some small errors are still being made. A big stand out for me on Tuesday was that Southport, for fairly large periods of the game, were sat very deep giving us a lot of opportunities from distance. In theory this would also mean you could look to slip the ball into the channels between full back and centre back. Yet Lennell was making these runs rather than Hannah (who was dropping short) which based on what I see of the two is completely backwards.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 2, 2014, 5:34pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from biggles9999

I think if you read my post I have always said , it's not how you start its how you finish,

My main complaint this season is, with the best squad we have had Hurst can not get the players to play well more than 2 games in a row.

I hope he proves me wrong and gets us promoted,

If he does , I will run round the docks naked,

OOPS!!!!  I think somebody said that a few years back. :B
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 2, 2014, 5:46pm; Reply: 13
The way Town played with John Paul Pitman in the team and Patrick McLaughlin was a delight. The balance, desire, confidence in team players play was right.  JPP is injured and Patrick is subbing. I think this is the subtle difference between, where we were (earlier in the season) and where we are now.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 2, 2014, 7:05pm; Reply: 14

.This is the issue: the inability of Hurst to identify a problem and solve it quickly.
Until the issues are recognised and addressed we will just be treading water and getting further out of touch with the leaders,that is reality.

Not quite true...if a defender sneezes he will have a loanee in before the seal on the kleenex is broken.

Posted by: gtfc82, October 2, 2014, 7:32pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Teestogreen
The way Town played with John Paul Pitman in the team and Patrick McLaughlin was a delight. The balance, desire, confidence in team players play was right.  JPP is injured and Patrick is subbing. I think this is the subtle difference between, where we were (earlier in the season) and where we are now.

Agree with that! Also the change back to 442 has led to a 'lump it to Lenny' style which is incredibly predictable, boring and rarely works!!
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 2, 2014, 7:41pm; Reply: 16
I see Clay has got a bug

Left in the changing rooms from the Chester lot I bet.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 2, 2014, 8:01pm; Reply: 17
This thread has not gone the way I thought and has turned into another anti Hurst procession. I was just curious as to people's opinions about his tenure. Was the slate wiped clean when Scott was given the heave-ho, and if so, does he deserve more time like a new manager would be afforded?

Town don't do simple. They appoint joint managers just to put a new twist on things.
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, October 2, 2014, 8:32pm; Reply: 18
I think the real manager is sat in the directors box and has been for some years
The only thing missing is the walki talki
Posted by: mariner2000, October 2, 2014, 8:58pm; Reply: 19

I agree there is a striker problem but it's bigger than that even if he brought in the best possible striker we would still no doubt not play the right tactics for the players we have.
Posted by: mariner2000, October 2, 2014, 9:04pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from grimsby pete

I think if you read my post I have always said , it's not how you start its how you finish,

My main complaint this season is, with the best squad we have had Hurst can not get the players to play well more than 2 games in a row.

I hope he proves me wrong and gets us promoted,

If he does , I will run round the docks naked,

OOPS!!!!  I think somebody said that a few years back. :B

I agree with the bit about how you finish but again it comes down to what faith we have in hurst to have the ability to change things, to identify the team's strengths etc.  And again I would ask why we are having the same conversations we had last year,,,,,

Separate question, does anyone think the poor starts are down to the one year contracts and constant changes in the squads each year,....?  Settled squad equals good start to season??
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 2, 2014, 9:16pm; Reply: 21
We are having the same conversations because the lessons are not learnt. We don't seem to get our full squad in until a couple a weeks before the start of the season at even then we are scrabbling out for players.
This close  season was a farce with P.H. putting all his eggs in the Jennings/Bhogal basket without having a plan B.
He should have known his squad for this season at the middle of may.  
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 2, 2014, 10:28pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from ginnywings
This thread has not gone the way I thought and has turned into another anti Hurst procession. I was just curious as to people's opinions about his tenure. Was the slate wiped clean when Scott was given the heave-ho, and if so, does he deserve more time like a new manager would be afforded?

Town don't do simple. They appoint joint managers just to put a new twist on things.

The slate can't be wiped clean because they both stated that they agreed on team selections and formations.  Performances since he has sole responsibility have been inconsistent and when it really mattered the team has been found wanting.  

He should have been given a written warning for the teams performance on Tuesday night.  No Town team should turn out such a excrement performance at BP, it should be a given that they deliver 100% effort, 100% fight, 100% passion, 100% commitment.

I am just not convinced by his teams performances or his fascination with LJL.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 2, 2014, 11:01pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from mariner2000

I agree with the bit about how you finish but again it comes down to what faith we have in hurst to have the ability to change things, to identify the team's strengths etc.  And again I would ask why we are having the same conversations we had last year,,,,,

Separate question, does anyone think the poor starts are down to the one year contracts and constant changes in the squads each year,....?  Settled squad equals good start to season??

We were discussing this very point in the pub after Tuesday's debacle. For conference, and many league 2 clubs, it appears financial constraints appear to severely limit a club's willingness to look beyond one year deals. This means that in most clubs a squad is changing half their playing personnel every season. This does mean that you will spend time every year getting used to how new players move, react, want the ball played etc. however, given this scenario applies to the majority of clubs at this level it remains a pretty level playing field.

Lets face it we seem to have retained certain players , bignot, who we may have wanted to let go but clauses triggered that he stay.

On to Ginny's original question and I would take into account the four years he has been here as many of the complaints about style, quality of signings, PR etc all apply throughout his tenure. Looking back our most successful strike force was Hearn and Elding, we brought in Cook and elding was on his bike. Cook had a pretty decent first season but found himself out the team. We know play LJL and i have said previously that PH's stubborness in this area will ultimately cost him his job. Personally, i would not even call,LJL a striker but someone who plays up front. I must watch a different player to many of our fans as I do not think he is particularly good in the air, he does not hold the ball up that well, his second touch is a tackle, he rarely brings other players into the game and he scores very few goals, on the bright side he tries hard!

My only reservation about elbowing PH is the forlorn hope that if fit his chosen pairing would be Pitman and Arnold. Fitness problems mean this will probably never get off the ground and perhaps it is just wishful thinking on my part that he would be open to such a change.
Posted by: Tommy, October 2, 2014, 11:54pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from biggles9999

I'm the same currently Bigs.

We could do worse than Hurst but I can't see us ever winning this league under him. And unless there is anyone available who could take over and get more out of the squad then it's a risk getting rid.

But I've lost a lot of faith in him over several things. I'm not a knee-jerk reaction kinda guy and can always take the positives out of something, but lack of understanding of different systems, failure to implement a playing style, changing to combat opposition so much and failure to make timely, proactive changes to effect a game all lead me to doubt his abilities.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 3, 2014, 12:05am; Reply: 25
Quoted from ginnywings

He has had more than a seasons worth of games on his own now. While the previous record with Scott should not be scrubbed as they always said it was joint decisions he will ultimately be judged on his stand alone performance.

Hursts Stand Alone League Record (inc play offs)

W = 25
D = 16
L = 15

Doesnt actually look that bad in black and white but too many draws there in a 3 for a win points league.  It tots up to play offs over a seasons worth of games and the big game results dont inspire.
Posted by: Garth, October 3, 2014, 10:09am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Tommy

I'm the same currently Bigs.

We could do worse than Hurst but I can't see us ever winning this league under him. And unless there is anyone available who could take over and get more out of the squad then it's a risk getting rid.

But I've lost a lot of faith in him over several things. I'm not a knee-jerk reaction kinda guy and can always take the positives out of something, but lack of understanding of different systems, failure to implement a playing style, changing to combat opposition so much and failure to make timely, proactive changes to effect a game all lead me to doubt his abilities.

My thoughts exactly,  but if you think about it you have to ask yourself truthfully will he get us promoted this season or even next, if your answer is I don`t think so then it will not be much a risk to change will it, unless you fear a new man might relegate us
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 3, 2014, 10:38am; Reply: 27
Quoted from moosey_club

He has had more than a seasons worth of games on his own now. While the previous record with Scott should not be scrubbed as they always said it was joint decisions he will ultimately be judged on his stand alone performance.

Hursts Stand Alone League Record (inc play offs)

W = 25
D = 16
L = 15

Doesnt actually look that bad in black and white but too many draws there in a 3 for a win points league.  It tots up to play offs over a seasons worth of games and the big game results dont inspire.

I think that confirms what a lot of us are saying,

He is a decent manager but we really need a very good one to get us promoted,

If we stick with Paul we will always be there or there abouts,

Let's hope we just get lucky one season,

Please Please Please make it this season.

Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 3, 2014, 12:18pm; Reply: 28
There are too many IFs from PH....

IF we had not started the season without suspensions

IF we had not had injuries

IF the strikers he targeted signed

IF the referee had not made that decision

IF the offside had been given

IF we had not had an off day

IF in hindsight he had not changed the team

IF in hindsight he had changed the team

IF his substitution had the impact he expected

IF the opposition had not parked the bus

Too many IFs
Posted by: rancido, October 3, 2014, 5:06pm; Reply: 29
I think PH would be a good manager for a club at this level with no aspirations of getting any higher. He would suit a part-time club who saw their position in this league as the highest they could ever attain eg  Dover ,Welling, Telford or Altrincham. I'm not having a go at these clubs but in general they have reached their limit and so has PH.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, October 3, 2014, 5:16pm; Reply: 30
In answer to original question I think it slightly depends on what went on behind scenes when joint managers. If Hurst was slightly more senior then potentially long enough if not and Scott was then more time.
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 3, 2014, 6:30pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from rancido
I think PH would be a good manager for a club at this level with no aspirations of getting any higher. He would suit a part-time club who saw their position in this league as the highest they could ever attain eg  Dover ,Welling, Telford or Altrincham. I'm not having a go at these clubs but in general they have reached their limit and so has PH.

This point of view is the best way to rate Hurst, he may develop what it takes in a few seasons but at this moment in time he doesn't have the mental hardness required to command a standard of play that ensures consistency.
Posted by: brad_gtfc, October 3, 2014, 6:38pm; Reply: 32
I like Hurst, I just don't think he's the manager to get us out of this league. I've supported him alot, and for me, I judge him on his time on his own here. The thing is for me, from what I've seen, we've got some quality players in there but the current manager isn't getting the best out of them. We have had such an inconsistent start to the season and the changes in personnel and formation haven't helped. Granted some of them have being enforced. With the players we have available we need to stop worrying about the opposition and just be more positive, ball on the floor, quick tempo. Lennie gets alot of stick, but he's chipped in with a few assists with some lovely passes so why we insist on constantly going long I'll never know. I feel we need a management change as we have the players there, we just need a slight change of ethos and for me Paul seems a little bit stuck in his ways and abit stubborn.
Posted by: kingster72, October 4, 2014, 6:45am; Reply: 33
The question I have is, why are we going into today's game with him still in charge?  

We'll win today to give him two more games, he'll lose one and draw one and so, on and on, and on, and on....  

He should have been sacked towards the end of last season, he wasn't.  He should have been sacked in the summer, he wasn't.  He should have been sacked after several low points already this season, he hasn't been.  What dirt does he have on Lord Fenty?  Probably none, just further illustration that JF has no clue, which is why he needs to go too.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Posted by: codcheeky, October 4, 2014, 7:34am; Reply: 34
Quoted from kingster72
The question I have is, why are we going into today's game with him still in charge?  

We'll win today to give him two more games, he'll lose one and draw one and so, on and on, and on, and on....  

He should have been sacked towards the end of last season, he wasn't.  He should have been sacked in the summer, he wasn't.  He should have been sacked after several low points already this season, he hasn't been.  What dirt does he have on Lord Fenty?  Probably none, just further illustration that JF has no clue, which is why he needs to go too.

Happy Saturday everyone.

How do you know this? Do you have a hotline to Fenty or are you just following the negative bolocks on here half of it spouted by "fans" who don`t even bother to go.  who would you replace him with? All the constant critisisers should at least be a little constructive and come up with a name or two of managers who have a better track record and would be willing to come to Grimsby
Posted by: GrimRob, October 4, 2014, 8:09am; Reply: 35
Quoted from codcheeky

How do you know this? Do you have a hotline to Fenty or are you just following the negative bolocks on here half of it spouted by "fans" who don`t even bother to go.  who would you replace him with? All the constant critisisers should at least be a little constructive and come up with a name or two of managers who have a better track record and would be willing to come to Grimsby

They don't have one. They are deluding themselves that PH is anywhere near being sacked. Two terrific wins followed by one disappointing defeat is not the precursor to a sacking. We'd have to lose multiple games close together and fall completely out of the play-off picture. At the moment we are very much in the hunt for  promotion and are more or less on the same points total as all the other fancied runners. No doubt they too have vocal minorities on forums calling for their heads, if you look hard enough.
Posted by: TAGG, October 4, 2014, 8:30am; Reply: 36
Quoted from GrimRob

They don't have one. They are deluding themselves that PH is anywhere near being sacked. Two terrific wins followed by one disappointing defeat is not the precursor to a sacking. We'd have to lose multiple games close together and fall completely out of the play-off picture. At the moment we are very much in the hunt for  promotion and are more or less on the same points total as all the other fancied runners. No doubt they too have vocal minorities on forums calling for their heads, if you look hard enough.

I don't know who you talk to or where you sit at the games but all this about ''vocal minoritiies'' is as far as i can see balderdash.
At the game and in the boozer before and after every game I have not heard any one say they want Hurst to stay in fact its the opposite.
I think I'm in a very large 'vocal majority'
Hurst out before it to late to change anything.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 4, 2014, 8:37am; Reply: 37
Quoted from GrimRob

Our home form is simply not good enough to get us promoted. It wasn't last season and it won't be this. Why? Because our negative manager doesn't send his team out to impose themselves and spends too much time worrying about the opposition. Add that to an obsession with a non scoring strike force and you have no chance.

I'll also add that the club needs to soon decide whether it wants to be a big fish in a crap league with a crap stadium or something better than that because a new stadium is a pointless exercise at our current level.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 4, 2014, 8:39am; Reply: 38
Quoted from codcheeky

How do we know whether or not they would come and work for Mr Fenty? Don't forget that Scott/Hurst weren't first choice!
Posted by: ginnywings, October 4, 2014, 9:07am; Reply: 39
Quoted from codcheeky

That is not the task of the fans, it is the task of the board. Other clubs seem to find successful mangers, even if it takes a few attempts.

The fact that we turned to Neil Woods in our darkest hour shows how clueless the decision makers are at this club. They just seem to be happy to pootle along in the Conference as long as we look like we might get a play off spot and maybe a bit of dosh from a cup run or two.

Also Rob keeps referring to a vocal minority which is not my experience. Just about every Town fan i know (quite a lot) is not happy with Hurst at the helm and most of them have stopped going to games. I've missed the last 2 myself and that's something i haven't done for a long time.

The Scunny and Huddersfield games last season reminded me what it is supposed to be like watching football but occasions like that are as rare as rocking horse excrement nowadays.

Like many, i've been bored into submission.
Posted by: TAGG, October 4, 2014, 9:20am; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

That is not the task of the fans, it is the task of the board. Other clubs seem to find successful mangers, even if it takes a few attempts.

The fact that we turned to Neil Woods in our darkest hour shows how clueless the decision makers are at this club. They just seem to be happy to pootle along in the Conference as long as we look like we might get a play off spot and maybe a bit of dosh from a cup run or two.

Also Rob keeps referring to a vocal minority which is not my experience. Just about every Town fan i know (quite a lot) is not happy with Hurst at the helm and most of them have stopped going to games. I've missed the last 2 myself and that's something i haven't done for a long time.

The Scunny and Huddersfield games last season reminded me what it is supposed to be like watching football but occasions like that are as rare as rocking horse excrement nowadays.

Great post ginny
I have not stopped going yet but its on the horizon. I have stopped going to watch Town once that was about 10 games into Newell's reign but went straight back after he left UTM
Posted by: mariner tommy, October 4, 2014, 9:23am; Reply: 41
I'm a season ticket holder, I go every game.
Every season I say to myself, that's enough, no season ticket this year.
But I still get one, year in, year out.
Every game I say to myself, this is it, this is the turning point. I am still waiting.
We will get out of this league, I just don't know when, even if it's only by the law of averages, but we will.
Until that day comes I will carry on being happy when we win and moaning all the way home when we lose.
Because that's what this club means to me. I wish I could get rid of the passion inside to give it a rest for a while, but I can't.
So I for one will just carry on week in week out watching every game as I have done for years.

UTM
Posted by: DocTower, October 4, 2014, 9:36am; Reply: 42
Quoted from ginnywings

your last line sums it up . We have been bored into submission . Blind faith , brain washed whatever it is . Once you get out of the habit of going to watch Town it's hard to return . No excitement , no inspiration no hope .

Posted by: grimsby pete, October 4, 2014, 9:48am; Reply: 43
Maybe we need a poll to say Hurst should stay or go. ;D ;D
Posted by: ginnywings, October 4, 2014, 10:09am; Reply: 44
Quoted from grimsby pete
Maybe we need a poll to say Hurst should stay or go. ;D ;D

OOh! Naughty.  ;D
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 4, 2014, 10:17am; Reply: 45
Quoted from DocTower

your last line sums it up . We have been bored into submission . Blind faith , brain washed whatever it is . Once you get out of the habit of going to watch Town it's hard to return . No excitement , no inspiration no hope .

Exactly. Watching Town is 0% aspiration, 100% perspiration and somewhere in the middle desperation.
Posted by: mariner91, October 4, 2014, 10:24am; Reply: 46
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Exactly. Watching Town is 0% aspiration, 100% perspiration and somewhere in the middle desperation.

If you're sweating from sitting down watching a game I think you need to exercise more!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 4, 2014, 10:34am; Reply: 47
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You are right. You only have to read the "get real" and "playoff place is a success" posts on here to see that a lot of fans have lost true aspiration for the club after so long in this crap league. The next step is celebrating an escape from relegation.

The lack of ambition in the club is gradually wearing away the ambitions of the supporters and that will eventually be reflected in lower gates, less money, less success, less ambition ............

That cycle will never be broken by sensible, safety first, budget conscious managers who don't have the spark to enthuse and won't risk an exciting and attacking playing style to woo back the doubters.

Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 4, 2014, 11:06am; Reply: 48
Quoted from GrimRob

They are deluding themselves that PH is anywhere near being sacked. Two terrific wins followed by one disappointing defeat is not the precursor to a sacking.

This has kept occurring to me. Clearly there are some very passionate fans on here that want him gone, and are even surprised that he hasn't been sacked already. But away from the Fishy there seems very little hint that the board are even considering it.

Posted by: friskneymariner, October 4, 2014, 11:15am; Reply: 49
Spot on Mariner Tommy, I have been supporting Town for over fifty years,each game means a 100 mile round trip.
In all those years close relatives have died ,relationship have come and gone ,children have been born, grown up and left the nest.The one constant in my life has been Grimsby Town,however I am nearly at the point when enough is enough.
I am sorry to say this ,but I am so frustrated at the inability of the management to address what is the bleeding obvious,that I am questioning my commitment.
The thing is Mr Fenty if I feel like this how many others feel similar.

Posted by: pontoonlew, October 4, 2014, 12:04pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from GrimRob

It saddens me that people are this flipping deluded.
Posted by: ackomariner, October 4, 2014, 12:10pm; Reply: 51
Spot on Mariner Tommy, I have been supporting Town for over fifty years,each game means a 100 mile round trip.
In all those years close relatives have died ,relationship have come and gone ,children have been born, grown up and left the nest.The one constant in my life has been Grimsby Town,however I am nearly at the point when enough is enough.
I am sorry to say this ,but I am so frustrated at the inability of the management to address what is the bleeding obvious,that I am questioning my commitment.
The thing is Mr Fenty if I feel like this how many others feel similar.

It's a crying shame that you and many others with all those years supporting town are having these feelings as you describe, personally I think it's terrible.

I said after last season that I wouldn't renew my season ticket this year, but after all the statements from mr fenty, ph, ect.......I bought my two tickets for myself and my lad, but feel as though I've been lied to by the club and if ph and golden balls Lewis are still here next year then I won't be putting myself through it again.

Something needs to change drastically at the club from top to bottom for us to move forward, because were still in free fall after ten years and still falling IMHO
Posted by: Abdul19, October 4, 2014, 12:35pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from TAGG

I have stopped going to watch Town once that was about 10 games into Newell's reign but went straight back after he left UTM

Great time to return!
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 4, 2014, 12:39pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from GrimRob

I've felt the need to reply twice to this because I just can't get my head round it. Few questions;

Do you really believe people are calling for Hurst's head after one defeat? That the past year of desperately boring shite followed by the predictable play-off crash has been ignored (it has by you anyway) and people want him out because of 1 loss?

Do you see 10 points off top spot after just 13 games as acceptable?

Who are all these fancied runners we share the same points with Rob? Penniless Macclesfield perhaps? Newly promoted Eastleigh? How about Lincoln?

Do you seriously believe it's a minority? Honestly, you actually honestly have told yourself that?

Wake up Rob.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 4, 2014, 12:56pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from pontoonlew

I've felt the need to reply twice to this because I just can't get my head round it. Few questions;

Do you really believe people are calling for Hurst's head after one defeat? That the past year of desperately boring shite followed by the predictable play-off crash has been ignored (it has by you anyway) and people want him out because of 1 loss?

Do you see 10 points off top spot after just 13 games as acceptable?

Who are all these fancied runners we share the same points with Rob? Penniless Macclesfield perhaps? Newly promoted Eastleigh? How about Lincoln?

Do you seriously believe it's a minority? Honestly, you actually honestly have told yourself that?

Wake up Rob.

I'm beginning to think Rob has become a new breed, the trolling mod !  ;)

Posted by: rancido, October 4, 2014, 1:13pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
I think the real manager is sat in the directors box and has been for some years
The only thing missing is the walki talki

So this " real manager " picks the team and insists on LJL inclusion all the team? Maybe all these comments about PH not knowing what he is doing should really be aimed at " the real manager"!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 4, 2014, 1:31pm; Reply: 56
Over the last 2 seasons we have some excellent results and performances.  We have also had some dire performances and results.  The extreme contrast here highlights a) what can be achieved, and b) how poorly we can play.

The manager and team are are only consistent in their inconsistency.  This is so frustrating for the fans.  The manager seems to have a flaw in his character and/or managerial qualities that leads to these dips in results.  With the pattern established, it is likely to continue in the future.  Can we live with that?

Posted by: highcliff mariner, October 4, 2014, 2:51pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from ginnywings

Just about sums up how i and those around me feel, Like tagg i missed a season or two (last in the league and 1st in this shitehole) ut i'm starting to wane again , hence why we are sat on here watching the rain instead of at Dartford , DARTFORD !  
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 4, 2014, 3:00pm; Reply: 58
As I have said previously the most disturbing aspect is that people are becoming so resigned to mediocrity that apathy is setting in,that is more toxic than any comments made on this board.
Posted by: Mariners_15, October 4, 2014, 4:13pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

Nail meet head, well said Ginny...
Posted by: SlouchyMetal, October 4, 2014, 4:31pm; Reply: 60
sorry now Hurst, times up. today proves it. NOT GOOD ENOUGH ANYMORE
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 4, 2014, 5:05pm; Reply: 61
As I have said previously the most disturbing aspect is that people are becoming so resigned to mediocrity that apathy is setting in,that is more toxic than any comments made on this board.

I agree, first game of the season (including all the friendlies) I have missed today, just couldn't be arsed.

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 4, 2014, 5:11pm; Reply: 62
like Friskney I have been going for 50 years and have a season ticket but after Tuesday will not be attending any more games whilst PH is in charge and our two fronts players are Hannah and LJL.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 3:02pm