Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › The myth of tinkering?!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 188 Guests

The myth of tinkering?!

This thread currently has 5,019 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
TAGG
October 1, 2014, 12:44am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,982
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Maringer

Oh, grow up.

I'm stating that I understand many of the choices made by the manager because they are sensible. Are they working? Not all the time, no.

I've stated in the Stick or Twist thread that I'm not a fan of sacking managers in mid-season, let alone less than 2 months into the season. Getting a new manager in at this point is much more likely to be a failure than a success so that's my viewpoint. There aren't exactly a lot of talented and successful managers available willing to come to a non-league club at this time of the year either, are there?

I think we're good enough to reach the play-offs and I think we will. Hope we ultimately play well enough to win promotion if we get there.

"good enough to reach the play-offs" ye maybe so but not with Hurst in charge.
Its not "mid-season" only the first quarter so there is plenty of time to turn us into a promotion team if Fenty pulls his finger out and sacks this idiot.
I dont know what managers are out there.
You keep supporting him and be happy when we are still in this excrement hole getting 2000 attendances at the end of the season.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
arryarryarry
October 1, 2014, 12:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Maringer
I'm not apologising for Hurst or his choices, I'm pointing out that Oates did nothing at all on Saturday so expecting him to keep his place doesn't make sense. The way our midfield played (or didn't play) tonight, I think we would have been hoofing it aimlessly regardless of who was up front. LJL was definitely out of sorts and got absolutely no change from their big No. 5 (who played better than McDonald), so I shudder to think how young Oates would have done had he started. When Oates did come on, we continued to punt it forward which was food and drink to their 3 central defenders.

The idea that we only punted because LJL was on the pitch doesn't really hold true because in our better performances and results with LJL in the team, we have passed the ball well and played some good football. The punting tonight was a reflection of the bad performance, not the only cause of it.

That's never stopped him continuing to play LJL when he has been crap, just as he was tonight, so it will be interesting to see if he starts with LJL on Saturday.

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
ginnywings
October 1, 2014, 7:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Hurst had to play LJL. He's bigger, stronger, fitter and more experienced than Oates and putting him in was the right move.

My gripe is that after LJL and Hannah, neither of whom look like scoring regularly, the cupboard is bare. We have no forward options in the squad and that is squarely the fault of Hurst.

If you base your attack around LJL, you're asking for trouble unless you have a very prolific striker alongside him. Once again, we have no-one threatening the scoring charts.

Cue someone saying that it doesn't matter who scores. The others aint scoring regularly either.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 1, 2014, 8:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
There is a mindset in the players. Given time to play and a charitable side that doesn't pressure them in midfield like Chester, they will play the ball around on the floor. Even then the back 4 is always anxious to by-pass midfield and bang the ball into the channels. There are times when the ghost of Mike Lyons is at work because this was his one and only tactic. Chase the ball down and force an error.

Hurst is afraid. You don't have to be Mystic Meg to realise that. He says or implies to players to pass and move if they have time, otherwise play it safe. When he puts LJL in the team that naturally encourages the tactic because he is such a physical asset.

A manager like Buckley would have been incandescent on the touchline, berating players for not doing what he told them and for not continuing to pass the opposition to death. Hurst doesn't know whether he wants them to excrement, shave or shower so his side is schizophrenic. They look clueless and they are clueless because they have no regular, disciplined way to play.

If Hurst wants to play up and under then he should sell Neillson, Brown, Clay, Arnold and co. and go buy Brodie again. Then buy a copy of the Mike Lyons coaching manual. It's cheap, just one page with big print that says "Hit the illegitimate into the corners".

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
barralad
October 1, 2014, 3:27pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from TAGG

You are a Hurst apologist.
Hope you happy together at the end of the season when we are still in this excrement league.

Yah! boo! sucks!  I can't think of a decent argument so I'll abuse you instead....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
MeanwoodMariner
October 1, 2014, 3:38pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from ginnywings

My gripe is that after LJL and Hannah, neither of whom look like scoring regularly, the cupboard is bare. We have no forward options in the squad and that is squarely the fault of Hurst.

If you base your attack around LJL, you're asking for trouble unless you have a very prolific striker alongside him. Once again, we have no-one threatening the scoring charts.

I've defended Hurst quite a bit but there's very little argument against this.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
DocTower
October 1, 2014, 4:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223

A manager like Buckley would have been incandescent on the touchline, berating players for not doing what he told them and for not continuing to pass the opposition to death. Hurst doesn't know whether he wants them to excrement, shave or shower so his side is schizophrenic. They look clueless and they are clueless because they have no regular, disciplined way to play.

If Hurst wants to play up and under then he should sell Neillson, Brown, Clay, Arnold and co. and go buy Brodie again. Then buy a copy of the Mike Lyons coaching manual. It's cheap, just one page with big print that says "Hit the illegitimate into the corners".[/quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes AB would have been shouting and jumping up and down like a mad man .
All we have is PH and DM chatting . What imput does our assistant manager have ?
At times we looked like eleven individuals who were picked out of the stands , a bit harsh I know but still frustrated by if all , and its only October 1st .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
Garth
October 1, 2014, 4:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quote  I know but still frustrated by if all , and its only October 1st

Me too that match and display hurts like hell and it will take a while to recover
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › The myth of tinkering?!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.