Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The myth of tinkering?!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 273 Guests

The myth of tinkering?!

This thread currently has 5,054 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
September 29, 2014, 7:30pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ginnywings
Nothing wrong with changing personnel and players, as well as formations. I just don't think he is very astute at it.  I also think that he is very slow to make changes and never to my knowledge has made a change at half time. Think ljl  should have been on sooner on Saturday for instance. Get the feeling he is 're-active rather than active.

Then again, I'm a joiner, so what the hell do I know?

We said the same. Oates had gone before the hour mark....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
DocTower
September 29, 2014, 7:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from ginnywings
Nothing wrong with changing personnel and players, as well as formations. I just don't think he is very astute at it.  I also think that he is very slow to make changes and never to my knowledge has made a change at half time. Think ljl  should have been on sooner on Saturday for instance. Get the feeling he is 're-active rather than active.

On the same wave length as you . Slow to change , Oaks was running on empty on 60 mins . Regarding the formations of 4 5 1 0r 4 4 2 or 4 3 3 . It was mentioned on tv that even in the premier it takes them , who are better quality and more skillful than us, a few games to get accustomed to that particular style

Then again I'm old and don't know what I'm on about !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
Tom13
September 29, 2014, 7:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from ginnywings

Totally agree with the OP but this is a very valid point, it often frustrates me when players who look exhausted have to play on until the 70th minute or when we're losing and the changes aren't made until the 65th minute, often 10 minutes too late.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
September 29, 2014, 9:43pm
Guest User
Perhaps the point being missed about Oates is he hadn't had a lot of game time and needed mins under his belt.
So still think Hurst did the right thing keeping him on for a bit longer, giving him a good blow out.
Hopefully it will have done him the world of good and he will strip fitter in the future.

Reply: 23 - 47
chaos33
September 29, 2014, 11:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
That is a good point. The only way Oates is going to gain fitness and experience/knowledge is to get game time under his belt and we need him to do that to get the best out of him. That said, I think it's almost a dead cert that he will be replaced by LJL on Tuesday (seems to be a consensus that this is what we should do too) and will have to be content with coming off the bench. I think, if you see Oates coming on as a sub at 60 - 70 mins or so, you'd have some confidence that he could score a goal or cause problems for tiring defenders, especially big, slow-turning types like Macdonald.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
headingly_mariner
September 30, 2014, 9:42am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from barralad

We said the same. Oates had gone before the hour mark....

True but the game was won, the lad needs minutes on the pitch to get fit and Lenny was coming back from an injury, it wasnt an urgent situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
Garth
September 30, 2014, 10:01am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from headingly_mariner

True but the game was won, the lad needs minutes on the pitch to get fit and Lenny was coming back from an injury, it wasnt an urgent situation.

Agree, different if we were losing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
September 30, 2014, 4:40pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
That is a good point. The only way Oates is going to gain fitness and experience/knowledge is to get game time under his belt and we need him to do that to get the best out of him. That said, I think it's almost a dead cert that he will be replaced by LJL on Tuesday (seems to be a consensus that this is what we should do too) and will have to be content with coming off the bench. I think, if you see Oates coming on as a sub at 60 - 70 mins or so, you'd have some confidence that he could score a goal or cause problems for tiring defenders, especially big, slow-turning types like Macdonald.

Good points in return !

Have to say I don't think it would necessarily be so terrible to see the same lineup.
What I'm wondering is whether LJL is the type of player who could change a game.
On the one hand he's big so maybe this constitutes a "Plan B".
On the other, he's not what you'd call a "grab you a goal" player per se. (though judging by when he came on Sat looked unlucky)

I suppose Oates has certainly fitted into the "change a game" category though.
Reply: 27 - 47
rancido
September 30, 2014, 5:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Garth

You may be able to advise him on draws

.......or dovetailing a team together!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
grimsby pete
September 30, 2014, 5:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
This thread is getting plane daft.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The myth of tinkering?!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.