Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The myth of tinkering?!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 272 Guests

The myth of tinkering?!

This thread currently has 5,048 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
September 30, 2014, 5:59pm
Guest User
I thought you wood chip in Pete.
Can we please stick to the joint ?
Reply: 30 - 47
TAGG
September 30, 2014, 11:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,958
Gold Stars: 124
Talking about tinkering.
We had Hannah & Oates up front on Saturday and won at a canter playing some great stuff on the deck. So Hurst "tinkers" and drops Oates and sticks in LJL thus changing the whole dynamic of the way we played tonight.
It was easy for Big Mac to mop up everything that was lobed into LJL tonight.
Why change a winning team???????????????????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Maringer
September 30, 2014, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,472
Gold Stars: 185
Oates did pretty much nothing on Saturday so a change was understandable.

The difference was that Chester weren't up and at 'em in the same way as Southport tonight and, of course, the rest of our players weren't simply awful on Saturday as they were tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
TAGG
October 1, 2014, 12:06am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Oates did pretty much nothing on Saturday so a change was understandable.

The difference was that Chester weren't up and at 'em in the same way as Southport tonight and, of course, the rest of our players weren't simply awful on Saturday as they were tonight.

If you read my post you will see Im saying that we played the ball on the deck with Oates and Hannah and did very well with that system so why change??????????.
Sticking LJL in (not criticising LJL)  changes the whole way we played from Saturday but you will never agree being a Hurst apologist.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
Maringer
October 1, 2014, 12:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm not apologising for Hurst or his choices, I'm pointing out that Oates did nothing at all on Saturday so expecting him to keep his place doesn't make sense. The way our midfield played (or didn't play) tonight, I think we would have been hoofing it aimlessly regardless of who was up front. LJL was definitely out of sorts and got absolutely no change from their big No. 5 (who played better than McDonald), so I shudder to think how young Oates would have done had he started. When Oates did come on, we continued to punt it forward which was food and drink to their 3 central defenders.

The idea that we only punted because LJL was on the pitch doesn't really hold true because in our better performances and results with LJL in the team, we have passed the ball well and played some good football. The punting tonight was a reflection of the bad performance, not the only cause of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
GorgeousGeorge
October 1, 2014, 12:20am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +30
Quoted from Maringer
I'm not apologising for Hurst or his choices, I'm pointing out that Oates did nothing at all on Saturday so expecting him to keep his place doesn't make sense. The way our midfield played (or didn't play) tonight, I think we would have been hoofing it aimlessly regardless of who was up front. LJL was definitely out of sorts and got absolutely no change from their big No. 5 (who played better than McDonald), so I shudder to think how young Oates would have done had he started. When Oates did come on, we continued to punt it forward which was food and drink to their 3 central defenders.

The idea that we only punted because LJL was on the pitch doesn't really hold true because in our better performances and results with LJL in the team, we have passed the ball well and played some good football. The punting tonight was a reflection of the bad performance, not the only cause of it.

Who decides the tactics, the players on the pitch or the manager?  If it's the players then why do we need a manager?  If it's the manager, he keeps getting it wrong.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
October 1, 2014, 12:21am
Guest User
We had no joy in the air tonight, a fair point.
But equally we played it on the deck a fair bit too I thought, we just couldn't unlock them.
If Oates was the reason perhaps things would have been different when he came on as sub.
Suffice to say it wasn't.
Reply: 36 - 47
Maringer
October 1, 2014, 12:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Do you really think the manager told the players to go out and punt it forward towards their 3 giant centre-backs, because I certainly don't. The buck stops with the manager but tonight the fault was mostly with the players.

Pretty much every time we attempted to pass the ball around, we struggled tonight due to inaccuracy, poor movement and overall poor performances. The midfield was hopeless tonight. Was it any surprise that the defenders, especially, ended up punting it forward all too often? I lost count of the times we lost possession through simple passes going straight into touch or the ball just being kicked straight to the opposition.

I just hope that we can put this game behind us quickly as I really didn't expect we could play as poorly as that at home against one of the weaker teams in the division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
TAGG
October 1, 2014, 12:28am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

You are a Hurst apologist.
Hope you happy together at the end of the season when we are still in this excrement league.

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Maringer
October 1, 2014, 12:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

You are a Hurst apologist.
Hope you happy together at the end of the season when we are still in this excrement league.

Oh, grow up.

I'm stating that I understand many of the choices made by the manager because they are sensible. Are they working? Not all the time, no.

I've stated in the Stick or Twist thread that I'm not a fan of sacking managers in mid-season, let alone less than 2 months into the season. Getting a new manager in at this point is much more likely to be a failure than a success so that's my viewpoint. There aren't exactly a lot of talented and successful managers available willing to come to a non-league club at this time of the year either, are there?

I think we're good enough to reach the play-offs and I think we will. Hope we ultimately play well enough to win promotion if we get there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The myth of tinkering?!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.