Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The myth of tinkering?!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 230 Guests

The myth of tinkering?!

This thread currently has 5,041 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MeanwoodMariner
September 29, 2014, 4:25pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I agree with the OP. There's also the myth of him having "favourites" who are undroppable. I think Disley has played fewer games than any of the other centre mids but every time he does get a game someone says he's picking his favourites again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
September 29, 2014, 4:34pm
Guest User
What a great point !  
Reply: 11 - 47
ginnywings
September 29, 2014, 5:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Nothing wrong with changing personnel and players, as well as formations. I just don't think he is very astute at it.  I also think that he is very slow to make changes and never to my knowledge has made a change at half time. Think ljl  should have been on sooner on Saturday for instance. Get the feeling he is 're-active rather than active.

Then again, I'm a joiner, so what the hell do I know?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
September 29, 2014, 5:28pm
Guest User
If a manager isn't "tinkering" with his team he isn't doing his job, surely?
Reply: 13 - 47
September 29, 2014, 5:33pm
Guest User
I also think he's a little slow to make some changes too.
But in his defence, if you react too quickly and it goes wrong, you look like completely clueless.

One that I vaguely remember is the Kiddy one where he admitted post match he was thinking about changing things sooner but said sometimes you've got to allow the game to settle down. (or words to that effect)

What's been more a concern for me over past seasons is the slow starts.
I hope we can continue to get on the front foot from the off more often than not.

Quoted from 137
If a manager isn't "tinkering" with his team he isn't doing his job, surely?

Exactly - team picks itself after a win ? I think not...
Reply: 14 - 47
chaos33
September 29, 2014, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
A lot of really good points in this thread.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
grimsby pete
September 29, 2014, 7:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I bet Paul has a really good laugh when he reads this thread,

AND

We know he does.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
Garth
September 29, 2014, 7:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from ginnywings
Nothing wrong with changing personnel and players, as well as formations. I just don't think he is very astute at it.  I also think that he is very slow to make changes and never to my knowledge has made a change at half time. Think ljl  should have been on sooner on Saturday for instance. Get the feeling he is 're-active rather than active.

Then again, I'm a joiner, so what the hell do I know?

You may be able to advise him on draws
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
barralad
September 29, 2014, 7:24pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from 3610

Interesting points.

'The playing of certain players out of position over others'.....  Does this actually happen that often?

In terms of playing different systems to only nullify the opposition, I would be interested to know where did this originally come from? A direct quote from hurst? 'We are changing tactics completely because we are worried about Dover?' Or is it just assumed that if we change tactics against a team it's only to nullify them and not to focus on their weak points?

I would also say that trust in the youth team players is another subject completely.

Excellent point IMO

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
September 29, 2014, 7:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
I just don't think he is very astute at it.  

If that's your opinion then fair enough- no arguing with that.  I just find it very hard to come to that conclusion on something that isn't measurable in anyway.

If you make changes and you win. It doesn't mean those changes were the right ones.

If you make changes and lose. It doesn't mean those changes were the wrong ones.

There is no real way of telling for sure one way or another. We may have won or lost by more without any changes?!

Interesting how you think he is re active- when many people believe he is a 'tinkerer' which would suggest he is over 'pro active' in their eyes! All about opinions!
Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The myth of tinkering?!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.