6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
psgmariner
October 3, 2014, 7:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
The Malt Shovel in Dartford is the recommendation.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 56
MarinerWY
October 3, 2014, 10:56am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Part of the day out for me, get there early, explore a new town - I like my ales so I like to find a decent pub and try a few pints that are specific to the area. Well, depending, that's a usual away day, but if it's a match with a massive buzz about it I get to where the mass of Town fans are. But it's not often these days we have a match like that!

Don't think it has any bearing on how much I care about the teams performance. Reckon we're allowed to enjoy the day out, after all we're travelling and paying a fair amount to support Town, don't really understand how the OP can begrudge people having a few pints at the same time, unless he/she is on a wind-up that is (which is fairly likely!).
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 56
grimsby pete
October 3, 2014, 11:09am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
We should have a poll,

DO you drink more before the game than after ?

Yes if we have won,

NO if we have lost

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 56
brad_gtfc
October 3, 2014, 7:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
All part of the day out for me. Experience some great pubs all over the country that you normally wouldn't visit. Let's be honest, the match tends to ruin the day out most of time. Another plus point, it numbs the pain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 56
northbankmariner
October 4, 2014, 12:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Agree with other posters on here in that having a pint or two at an away match is part of the whole match day experience. Meeting up with fellow like minded individuals who you would have nothing in common with apart from a love of football and your team is part and parcel of why fans go to football as opposed to staying at home and watching it on tv. Also it is a good chance to have a bit of good natured banter with opposition fans, genuine football fans. Let's not forget that us fans have and many still do make great efforts and cover large distances to support town and sometimes can be doing a 7 to 8 hour round trip. That is a long day out just for 90 minutes of entertainment? I use that term lightly lol, so to me part of the justification of driving a long distance is to make it a complete day out not just the football, the two go hand in hand. If you were going say to the theatre would you not have a drink or maybe a meal out first? It would add to the evenings entertainment surely, and that is all a pre match pint does for me. Long may the pre match drink continue. UTM

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 56
Rick12
October 4, 2014, 1:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from promotion plaice

For some it's part of the day out, and following Town sometimes drives you to the amber nectar.
I couldn't imagine darts fans happy with a cup of tea.
Agree for many part of the football fans lifestyle

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 56
Barrattstander
October 4, 2014, 1:27pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Let's be honest, the match tends to ruin the day out most of time.

Agreed, for the last ten years, or so, the actual game is the low point of the day, so why do we do it still ?

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Booze more important than GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.