Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Richard Cranium, September 22, 2014, 9:24pm
All I seem to read on here is what booze establishments are the fans visiting on their GTFC days out.
They don't  seem to care about the importance of our teams performances,
Saddos
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 22, 2014, 9:25pm; Reply: 1
Welcome back! ;)
Posted by: Richard, September 22, 2014, 9:27pm; Reply: 2
to be fair its a meeting place  and we need to get tunned in  :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 22, 2014, 9:36pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Richard Cranium
All I seem to read on here is what booze establishments are the fans visiting on their GTFC days out.
Saddos

For some it's part of the day out, and following Town sometimes drives you to the amber nectar.
I couldn't imagine darts fans happy with a cup of tea.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 22, 2014, 9:48pm; Reply: 4
;D
Posted by: pizzzza, September 22, 2014, 9:51pm; Reply: 5
booze establishments

Pub?
Posted by: Belfast Town, September 22, 2014, 9:52pm; Reply: 6
The booze is an anaesthetic to numb the pain.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 22, 2014, 10:13pm; Reply: 7
To be honest, for the last few seasons it's becoming more about the day out itself, which is more that often spoilt by the football.

I also like to visit different pubs, try different local beers/ciders etc.

The way I look at it these days is that it's not a proper awayday if you arrive after noon and I'm obviously going to spend the majority of the lead up to the game in the local public houses rather than looking round the shopping centres.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 22, 2014, 11:21pm; Reply: 8
To a lot of people having a drink or two before the game adds to the experience. I don't see how anyone can have a go at anyone who actually makes the effort to trek across the country to watch their team live. Save your contempt for the plastics who spend the day watching their "team" in a pub and jumping up and down and shouting at a screen.I bet most of them drink a lot more as well.
Posted by: ponnyfan, September 22, 2014, 11:27pm; Reply: 9
Saddos

All part of the away experience....lighten up  ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 22, 2014, 11:29pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from GrimRob
To a lot of people having a drink or two before the game adds to the experience. I don't see how anyone can have a go at anyone who actually makes the effort to trek across the country to watch their team live. Save your contempt for the plastics who spend the day watching their "team" in a pub and jumping up and down and shouting at a screen.I bet most of them drink a lot more as well.

Oh how I wished I could have stayed in the pub in Donny half an hour or so longer.

On my way home yesterday afternoon I had a 1 hour 20 minute wait at Donny train station so went out of the station and into a pub which was showing the Leicester v Man Utd game which was full of Man U plastics getting excited and shouting and cheering "their" team onto another comfortable win. I had to leave with Man Utd 3-1 up.

Would loved to have been in there as Leicester rattled in the 4 goals that came after.
Posted by: gaz57, September 23, 2014, 7:37am; Reply: 11
It helps you sing when your drinking. UTM   ;D
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, September 23, 2014, 7:46am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Les Brechin
The way I look at it these days is that it's not a proper awayday if you arrive after noon and I'm obviously going to spend the majority of the lead up to the game in the local public houses rather than looking round the shopping centres.

What about the.museums les ;-)

Posted by: Richard, September 23, 2014, 8:36am; Reply: 13
Quoted from gaz57

we could sing this instead of fishing
Posted by: St. Pauli, September 23, 2014, 10:56am; Reply: 14
Saddos

... so ... at least once you wanted to start a thread ???
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 23, 2014, 12:07pm; Reply: 15
GTFC watching is not the same without a beer or three inside you.

Les was in the same two pubs as me on Saturday and the second pub (the King & Castle) was full of football fans from both teams chatting about their teams and interchanging knowledge with each other. Real Ale rather than Lager was being drunk and normal football fans actually do get on with each other in pubs that cater for ale lovers, beer and football can bind people no matter who you support.

I have followed GTFC for many, many years and always try and get at least one pint in before the game no matter where it is, my CAMRA Good Beer Guide is consulted before leaving home and like loads of others I often enjoy the pre-match pint more than the football we have played over the last few years.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 23, 2014, 12:29pm; Reply: 16
I love football,

I love Grimsby Town,

I love wine,

What's the matter with that ?

(wine)(wine)(wine)(wine)(yahoo)
Posted by: lobsterpot, September 23, 2014, 2:41pm; Reply: 17
These days watching town is such a bind that it is all about the day out, getting merry then come 5 to 3 the football kinda gets in the way it's that bad but it's also the reason we go out for the day in the 1st place so always doable IMO.
Next month we've got a carful going to Torquay for the weekend. 2 of them have no interest in town but are coming along to get sloshed and goto the game. Sad barstewards need to get a life eh? No this is life ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 23, 2014, 4:13pm; Reply: 18
It drops the inhibitions!!!!

How sh1te have grounds gone now there's no drinking. We get no more streakers for a start
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 23, 2014, 5:36pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts
GTFC watching is not the same without a beer or three inside you.

Les was in the same two pubs as me on Saturday and the second pub (the King & Castle) was full of football fans from both teams chatting about their teams and interchanging knowledge with each other. Real Ale rather than Lager was being drunk and normal football fans actually do get on with each other in pubs that cater for ale lovers, beer and football can bind people no matter who you support.

I have followed GTFC for many, many years and always try and get at least one pint in before the game no matter where it is, my CAMRA Good Beer Guide is consulted before leaving home and like loads of others I often enjoy the pre-match pint more than the football we have played over the last few years.

Is this you drinking with your 'Pal's

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/4jqf41.gif[/IMG]

Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 23, 2014, 7:40pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from gaz57

I find you spill a lot that way though.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 23, 2014, 10:28pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Marinerz93

Is this you drinking with your 'Pal's

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/4jqf41.gif[/IMG]

Yes, I am the one pretending to be a pirate with a patch over my eye.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 24, 2014, 8:05am; Reply: 22

I sold the data system to CAMRA for that book!!
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 24, 2014, 9:53am; Reply: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I sold the data system to CAMRA for that book!!

I have loads of copies from down the years and I also write some of the reviews of the pubs for my area in each edition. The 2015 issue came out last week: sells thousands every year and not just to CAMRA members (currently at around 160,000 paid up members).

Posted by: Les Brechin, September 24, 2014, 10:28am; Reply: 24

I have loads of copies from down the years and I also write some of the reviews of the pubs for my area in each edition. The 2015 issue came out last week: sells thousands every year and not just to CAMRA members (currently at around 160,000 paid up members).

I traveled over from York on Saturday MDT. You would have enjoyed the Friday afternoon/evening we spent at The York Beer Festival. Over 450 Real Ales and 100 Real Ciders, all lined up in alphabetical order in one of the longest tents/marquees I've ever seen.

We tried to get through them all but had to give up around number 250 I think.  ;)
Posted by: Alfie, September 24, 2014, 10:31am; Reply: 25
In my past experience, a fascination with real ale is a sure-sign of a proper bore.
Posted by: LH, September 24, 2014, 10:37am; Reply: 26
Whilst I enjoy an ale now and again I cannot stand drink snobbery (unless of course someone who has a pair of testicles orders a WKD or Smirnoff Ice etc). Beers are essential before and after Town games for me. I probably put 10% of the Findus bar takings in every week when we play poorly first half.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 24, 2014, 10:39am; Reply: 27
Quoted from lobsterpot
These days watching town is such a bind that it is all about the day out, getting merry then come 5 to 3 the football kinda gets in the way it's that bad but it's also the reason we go out for the day in the 1st place so always doable IMO.
Next month we've got a carful going to Torquay for the weekend. 2 of them have no interest in town but are coming along to get sloshed and goto the game. Sad barstewards need to get a life eh? No this is life ;)

Living the dream in Torquay following the Mariners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKtoTxltN5I
Posted by: Maringer, September 24, 2014, 11:14am; Reply: 28
Quoted from LH
Whilst I enjoy an ale now and again I cannot stand drink snobbery (unless of course someone who has a pair of testicles orders a WKD or Smirnoff Ice etc). Beers are essential before and after Town games for me. I probably put 10% of the Findus bar takings in every week when we play poorly first half.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to drink nice beer, given the chance. It doesn't necessarily have to be proper cask-conditioned ale as you can have good lagers and other beers as well - the problem is that the usual suspects served up by most pubs are simply rubbish and full of chemical crap to keep them from going off too quickly.

What frustrates me is that the same 'foreign' lagers brewed under license in the UK (Stella, Kronenbourg, etc) are utterly rubbish in comparison to their counterparts on the continent which simply taste much better. For the stuff brewed over here, the brewing companies simply don't care how the beers taste just as long as they contain the right amount of alcohol. We'll drink any old crap so they get away with it over here. On the continent, they won't drink it unless it tastes good so they get better beers.

Decent beer doesn't need to be a snobbish thing - you can never accuse Wetherspoons pubs of snobbery!

As for the matchday itself, I personally like to concentrate on the game and don't generally have a beer before most home matches. I'll generally have a couple of pints at away matches but don't tend to have any more than that as the mind starts to wander - especially when faced with some of the dross football from recent seasons!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 24, 2014, 2:11pm; Reply: 29

I went from working for the company that printed it to the company that produced the database and typeset it!!
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 24, 2014, 2:33pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin

I traveled over from York on Saturday MDT. You would have enjoyed the Friday afternoon/evening we spent at The York Beer Festival. Over 450 Real Ales and 100 Real Ciders, all lined up in alphabetical order in one of the longest tents/marquees I've ever seen.

We tried to get through them all but had to give up around number 250 I think.  ;)

I would have enjoyed that Les.

I managed to get to the Bridgnorth beer festival, my only CAMRA one so far this year. Hope to make the Oxford one in October, I've hired a bus for our branch to go. Took a group of people to the Brugge beer festival in Feb and will be in Prague shortly for some brewery tours. Not a huge lager/pilsner fan but I can usually find something I like when overseas. Even the guys behind the bar at the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam found me some bottles of dark stronger stuff on one visit.

Willy's for me before the game on Saturday.

Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 24, 2014, 2:42pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Alfie
In my past experience, a fascination with real ale is a sure-sign of a proper bore.

I know where you are coming from, but not 'all' Real Ale drinkers wear sandals, have beards, smell like a dirty cat and talk about nothing but 'old spunk trumpet' and it's alcohol content compared to 'the Dogs Boll@cks' and it's maltiness with a citrus hops aroma, etc, etc.

I obviously do and I can pontificate until the cows come home on beery subjects, but not all of us are like that!

PS. I seem to remember meeting a TOWN fan in Cheltenham one year who was living in Lincoln and making a living out of being a 'beer writer': anybody know who I mean?
Posted by: Maringer, September 24, 2014, 2:44pm; Reply: 32
I read an article about the York Beer Festival the other day and couldn't believe how many beers they have on there! A ridiculously large affair.

Would be nice to visit it some time, that's for sure.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 24, 2014, 2:48pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Maringer
I read an article about the York Beer Festival the other day and couldn't believe how many beers they have on there! A ridiculously large affair.

The Winter Gardens in Cleethorpes used to be hired by the local CAMRA guys every year and they always had a good selection, not as big as York (or Hull) but still a good amount: not sure where or if it is still happening anymore in Cleethorpes/Grimsby.

Posted by: Maringer, September 24, 2014, 3:11pm; Reply: 34
After the demise of the Winter Gardens, I did go to one at Cleethorpes Memorial Hall but I don't recall if that was an official CAMRA one or not.

In recent years, the Lions have held small-scale affairs at the Cromwell Banqueting Suite (i.e Cleethorpes Masonic Hall) and once or twice in the engine shed of the railway.

Not on a par with the old Winter Gardens ones though which were great fun - I liked the Wursts they used to have on sale to wash down with the beer!
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 24, 2014, 3:22pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Maringer

It was definitely the biggest I've ever been to, and it was packed too. We did well though as we went in the afternoon (about 2pm) and there was no queue to to get in but when we left about 7.30-7.45pm the queue to get in was unbelievable. It must have been at least a 30-40 minute wait from the back of the queue to get in. At £5 and £7 for non-CAMRA members just to get in they must have made an absolute fortune when you consider it ran from Wednesday to Saturday.

The price of the beer was pretty reasonable though (most were between £3 and £4 a pint) and you could buy in thirds, halves or pints.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 24, 2014, 4:00pm; Reply: 36
Just remembered I went to the Lincoln Beer Festival in the Drill Hall this year, very good and well laid out. 8 Sail brewery had a little festival I went to also, just outside Boston in a village called Heckington, with: wait for it................a windmill with 8 sails on it! I wonder where they got the name for the brewery?

I had by two yearly trip to Green Week in Berlin last Jan too: it is a huge International food and drink exhibition and great fun. I drink and eat my way around the world with my wife and a couple from Edinburgh who we know from when we lived out there.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 24, 2014, 4:18pm; Reply: 37
[youtube]tZmDWltBziM[/youtube]
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 24, 2014, 4:32pm; Reply: 38
Maybe it's just local to round here, but I found most of the CAMRA officiants os complete and utter knobs. Half had their "favourite" pubs /ales, and would only praise those. I remember serving a local beer called BOB (wick war brewery) to them one night. Had only been tapped for 6 hours but they wanted to try it. Thy then said about it being cloudy in their next publication of 'the tippler' magazine.

But, going back to the OP, the 2 go hand in hand. A love of town and a love of beer
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 24, 2014, 4:52pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Marinerz93
[youtube]tZmDWltBziM[/youtube]

Drinking good beer in moderation does not hard anyone: be it a lager/pilsner, keg, craft or cask real ale.

The art is to know when to stop no matter which beer you chose to drink, just make it a decent one not Carling or UK brewed Continental beers.

Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 24, 2014, 8:31pm; Reply: 40
Love this: I am not in it, but I could have been!

http://vimeo.com/64558227
Posted by: pizzzza, September 24, 2014, 9:10pm; Reply: 41
CAMRA members eh? Borderline trainspotters who think the stuff they drink is better than what everyone else drinks because it is made a bit differently. What's more important is the mates you go with and the good times you have, who cares what you drink as long as you enjoy it?
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 24, 2014, 9:14pm; Reply: 42
Love this: I am not in it, but I could have been!

http://vimeo.com/64558227

;D

The 'needs more hops' is almost as catchy as 'I need more cowbell'  ;D

Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 24, 2014, 9:46pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from pizzzza
CAMRA members eh? Borderline trainspotters who think the stuff they drink is better than what everyone else drinks because it is made a bit differently. What's more important is the mates you go with and the good times you have, who cares what you drink as long as you enjoy it?

Generalising mate.

Jamaicans are lazy and take drugs, Colombians deal in drugs and sell them to Jamaicans, Jocks and Yorkshire gits are tight, Americans wear loud checked trousers and are noisy (true), Russians are all corrupt, CAMRA member are elitist and think they know best about beer. All wrong apart from the US bit.
Posted by: St. Pauli, September 25, 2014, 10:16am; Reply: 44

Generalising mate.

Jamaicans are lazy and take drugs, Colombians deal in drugs and sell them to Jamaicans, Jocks and Yorkshire gits are tight, Americans wear loud checked trousers and are noisy (true), Russians are all corrupt, CAMRA member are elitist and think they know best about beer. All wrong apart from the US bit.

DON'T FORGET US GERMANS WITH THE TOWELS ON THE SUNBEDS !!!
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 25, 2014, 10:57am; Reply: 45
Quoted from St. Pauli

DON'T FORGET US GERMANS WITH THE TOWELS ON THE SUNBEDS !!!

Or that the French do not use soap and smell of onions.

Posted by: RalphFilthy, September 25, 2014, 11:22am; Reply: 46
I think this thread is beginning to throw a little light on the wildly differing interpretations of the same game people have ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 25, 2014, 1:09pm; Reply: 47

Or that the French do not use soap and smell of onions.

Well soap kills the good bactaria on our bodies and the French along with Bulgarians and most European countries do eat a lot of onions, ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 25, 2014, 1:11pm; Reply: 48
Plus I have stopped going on package holidays because you can never get a sunbed because of all those Germans. :P
Posted by: GYinScuntland, October 3, 2014, 12:40am; Reply: 49
Saddos

So.. Dartford? Is it Wetherspoons? Grapes?
Seriously though, what a prickish OP. What business is it of your good self if fully grown adults fancy a pint halfway through a 300+ mile round trip?
Posted by: psgmariner, October 3, 2014, 7:16am; Reply: 50
The Malt Shovel in Dartford is the recommendation.
Posted by: MarinerWY, October 3, 2014, 10:56am; Reply: 51
Part of the day out for me, get there early, explore a new town - I like my ales so I like to find a decent pub and try a few pints that are specific to the area. Well, depending, that's a usual away day, but if it's a match with a massive buzz about it I get to where the mass of Town fans are. But it's not often these days we have a match like that!

Don't think it has any bearing on how much I care about the teams performance. Reckon we're allowed to enjoy the day out, after all we're travelling and paying a fair amount to support Town, don't really understand how the OP can begrudge people having a few pints at the same time, unless he/she is on a wind-up that is (which is fairly likely!).
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 3, 2014, 11:09am; Reply: 52
We should have a poll,

DO you drink more before the game than after ?

Yes if we have won,

NO if we have lost

;D
Posted by: brad_gtfc, October 3, 2014, 7:18pm; Reply: 53
All part of the day out for me. Experience some great pubs all over the country that you normally wouldn't visit. Let's be honest, the match tends to ruin the day out most of time. Another plus point, it numbs the pain.
Posted by: northbankmariner, October 4, 2014, 12:58pm; Reply: 54
Agree with other posters on here in that having a pint or two at an away match is part of the whole match day experience. Meeting up with fellow like minded individuals who you would have nothing in common with apart from a love of football and your team is part and parcel of why fans go to football as opposed to staying at home and watching it on tv. Also it is a good chance to have a bit of good natured banter with opposition fans, genuine football fans. Let's not forget that us fans have and many still do make great efforts and cover large distances to support town and sometimes can be doing a 7 to 8 hour round trip. That is a long day out just for 90 minutes of entertainment? I use that term lightly lol, so to me part of the justification of driving a long distance is to make it a complete day out not just the football, the two go hand in hand. If you were going say to the theatre would you not have a drink or maybe a meal out first? It would add to the evenings entertainment surely, and that is all a pre match pint does for me. Long may the pre match drink continue. UTM
Posted by: Rick12, October 4, 2014, 1:08pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from promotion plaice

For some it's part of the day out, and following Town sometimes drives you to the amber nectar.
I couldn't imagine darts fans happy with a cup of tea.
Agree for many part of the football fans lifestyle

Posted by: Barrattstander, October 4, 2014, 1:27pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Let's be honest, the match tends to ruin the day out most of time.

Agreed, for the last ten years, or so, the actual game is the low point of the day, so why do we do it still ?

Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 12:32am