MyDogsThoughts
September 24, 2014, 2:33pm Report to Moderator

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +40
Quoted from Les Brechin

I traveled over from York on Saturday MDT. You would have enjoyed the Friday afternoon/evening we spent at The York Beer Festival. Over 450 Real Ales and 100 Real Ciders, all lined up in alphabetical order in one of the longest tents/marquees I've ever seen.

We tried to get through them all but had to give up around number 250 I think.  

I would have enjoyed that Les.

I managed to get to the Bridgnorth beer festival, my only CAMRA one so far this year. Hope to make the Oxford one in October, I've hired a bus for our branch to go. Took a group of people to the Brugge beer festival in Feb and will be in Prague shortly for some brewery tours. Not a huge lager/pilsner fan but I can usually find something I like when overseas. Even the guys behind the bar at the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam found me some bottles of dark stronger stuff on one visit.

Willy's for me before the game on Saturday.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
September 24, 2014, 2:42pm Report to Moderator

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Alfie
In my past experience, a fascination with real ale is a sure-sign of a proper bore.

I know where you are coming from, but not 'all' Real Ale drinkers wear sandals, have beards, smell like a dirty cat and talk about nothing but 'old spunk trumpet' and it's alcohol content compared to 'the Dogs Boll@cks' and it's maltiness with a citrus hops aroma, etc, etc.

I obviously do and I can pontificate until the cows come home on beery subjects, but not all of us are like that!

PS. I seem to remember meeting a TOWN fan in Cheltenham one year who was living in Lincoln and making a living out of being a 'beer writer': anybody know who I mean?

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
Maringer
September 24, 2014, 2:44pm Report to Moderator
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +52 / -11
Approval: +8,280
I read an article about the York Beer Festival the other day and couldn't believe how many beers they have on there! A ridiculously large affair.

Would be nice to visit it some time, that's for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
September 24, 2014, 2:48pm Report to Moderator

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I read an article about the York Beer Festival the other day and couldn't believe how many beers they have on there! A ridiculously large affair.

The Winter Gardens in Cleethorpes used to be hired by the local CAMRA guys every year and they always had a good selection, not as big as York (or Hull) but still a good amount: not sure where or if it is still happening anymore in Cleethorpes/Grimsby.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
Maringer
September 24, 2014, 3:11pm Report to Moderator
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +52 / -11
Approval: +8,280
After the demise of the Winter Gardens, I did go to one at Cleethorpes Memorial Hall but I don't recall if that was an official CAMRA one or not.

In recent years, the Lions have held small-scale affairs at the Cromwell Banqueting Suite (i.e Cleethorpes Masonic Hall) and once or twice in the engine shed of the railway.

Not on a par with the old Winter Gardens ones though which were great fun - I liked the Wursts they used to have on sale to wash down with the beer!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
Les Brechin
September 24, 2014, 3:22pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 4.78
Rep Score: +110 / -21
Approval: +7,223
Quoted from Maringer

It was definitely the biggest I've ever been to, and it was packed too. We did well though as we went in the afternoon (about 2pm) and there was no queue to to get in but when we left about 7.30-7.45pm the queue to get in was unbelievable. It must have been at least a 30-40 minute wait from the back of the queue to get in. At £5 and £7 for non-CAMRA members just to get in they must have made an absolute fortune when you consider it ran from Wednesday to Saturday.

The price of the beer was pretty reasonable though (most were between £3 and £4 a pint) and you could buy in thirds, halves or pints.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16023.52

LATEST DONATION - FROM COLLECTION TIN ON COUNTER AT WORK - APRIL 2019 AMOUNT RAISED £60.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
September 24, 2014, 4:00pm Report to Moderator

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Just remembered I went to the Lincoln Beer Festival in the Drill Hall this year, very good and well laid out. 8 Sail brewery had a little festival I went to also, just outside Boston in a village called Heckington, with: wait for it................a windmill with 8 sails on it! I wonder where they got the name for the brewery?

I had by two yearly trip to Green Week in Berlin last Jan too: it is a huge International food and drink exhibition and great fun. I drink and eat my way around the world with my wife and a couple from Edinburgh who we know from when we lived out there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
Marinerz93
September 24, 2014, 4:18pm Report to Moderator

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +87 / -12
Approval: +5,760
[youtube]tZmDWltBziM[/youtube]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 24, 2014, 4:32pm Report to Moderator

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 3.01
Rep Score: +58 / -16
Approval: +2,816
Maybe it's just local to round here, but I found most of the CAMRA officiants os complete and utter knobs. Half had their "favourite" pubs /ales, and would only praise those. I remember serving a local beer called BOB (wick war brewery) to them one night. Had only been tapped for 6 hours but they wanted to try it. Thy then said about it being cloudy in their next publication of 'the tippler' magazine.

But, going back to the OP, the 2 go hand in hand. A love of town and a love of beer

All I needed was the love you gave

All I needed for another day

And all I ever knew

Was ogbu

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
September 24, 2014, 4:52pm Report to Moderator

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93
[youtube]tZmDWltBziM[/youtube]

Drinking good beer in moderation does not hard anyone: be it a lager/pilsner, keg, craft or cask real ale.

The art is to know when to stop no matter which beer you chose to drink, just make it a decent one not Carling or UK brewed Continental beers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Booze more important than GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.