Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from gaz57
It helps you sing when your drinking. UTM  

I find you spill a lot that way though.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
September 23, 2014, 10:28pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Quoted from Marinerz93

Is this you drinking with your 'Pal's

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/4jqf41.gif[/IMG]

Yes, I am the one pretending to be a pirate with a patch over my eye.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
MuddyWaters
September 24, 2014, 8:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

I have followed GTFC for many, many years and always try and get at least one pint in before the game no matter where it is, my CAMRA Good Beer Guide is consulted before leaving home and like loads of others I often enjoy the pre-match pint more than the football we have played over the last few years.

I sold the data system to CAMRA for that book!!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
September 24, 2014, 9:53am

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I sold the data system to CAMRA for that book!!

I have loads of copies from down the years and I also write some of the reviews of the pubs for my area in each edition. The 2015 issue came out last week: sells thousands every year and not just to CAMRA members (currently at around 160,000 paid up members).

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
Les Brechin
September 24, 2014, 10:28am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,702
Gold Stars: 174

I have loads of copies from down the years and I also write some of the reviews of the pubs for my area in each edition. The 2015 issue came out last week: sells thousands every year and not just to CAMRA members (currently at around 160,000 paid up members).

I traveled over from York on Saturday MDT. You would have enjoyed the Friday afternoon/evening we spent at The York Beer Festival. Over 450 Real Ales and 100 Real Ciders, all lined up in alphabetical order in one of the longest tents/marquees I've ever seen.

We tried to get through them all but had to give up around number 250 I think.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
Alfie
September 24, 2014, 10:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
In my past experience, a fascination with real ale is a sure-sign of a proper bore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
LH
September 24, 2014, 10:37am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Whilst I enjoy an ale now and again I cannot stand drink snobbery (unless of course someone who has a pair of testicles orders a WKD or Smirnoff Ice etc). Beers are essential before and after Town games for me. I probably put 10% of the Findus bar takings in every week when we play poorly first half.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
promotion plaice
September 24, 2014, 10:39am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from lobsterpot
These days watching town is such a bind that it is all about the day out, getting merry then come 5 to 3 the football kinda gets in the way it's that bad but it's also the reason we go out for the day in the 1st place so always doable IMO.
Next month we've got a carful going to Torquay for the weekend. 2 of them have no interest in town but are coming along to get sloshed and goto the game. Sad barstewards need to get a life eh? No this is life

Living the dream in Torquay following the Mariners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKtoTxltN5I

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
Maringer
September 24, 2014, 11:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from LH
Whilst I enjoy an ale now and again I cannot stand drink snobbery (unless of course someone who has a pair of testicles orders a WKD or Smirnoff Ice etc). Beers are essential before and after Town games for me. I probably put 10% of the Findus bar takings in every week when we play poorly first half.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to drink nice beer, given the chance. It doesn't necessarily have to be proper cask-conditioned ale as you can have good lagers and other beers as well - the problem is that the usual suspects served up by most pubs are simply rubbish and full of chemical crap to keep them from going off too quickly.

What frustrates me is that the same 'foreign' lagers brewed under license in the UK (Stella, Kronenbourg, etc) are utterly rubbish in comparison to their counterparts on the continent which simply taste much better. For the stuff brewed over here, the brewing companies simply don't care how the beers taste just as long as they contain the right amount of alcohol. We'll drink any old crap so they get away with it over here. On the continent, they won't drink it unless it tastes good so they get better beers.

Decent beer doesn't need to be a snobbish thing - you can never accuse Wetherspoons pubs of snobbery!

As for the matchday itself, I personally like to concentrate on the game and don't generally have a beer before most home matches. I'll generally have a couple of pints at away matches but don't tend to have any more than that as the mind starts to wander - especially when faced with some of the dross football from recent seasons!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
MuddyWaters
September 24, 2014, 2:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235

I went from working for the company that printed it to the company that produced the database and typeset it!!
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Booze more important than GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.