Private Message
Reply: 20 - 102
GrimRob
September 16, 2014, 10:48pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
The players gave everything and they played to the strengths of the people on the pitch. Halifax were going to win everything in the air so Town had to pass the ball and they did so superbly on occasions with Neilson at the heart of everything. There was no way that was a team who have lost faith in the manager.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 102
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 16, 2014, 11:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from GrimRob
The players gave everything and they played to the strengths of the people on the pitch. Halifax were going to win everything in the air so Town had to pass the ball and they did so superbly on occasions with Neilson at the heart of everything. There was no way that was a team who have lost faith in the manager.

Rob its not the players who have lost faith but many of us fans. A good result tonight and interesting point on another thread that if some golden chances had been taken, including tonight, how different things may look. From feedback tonight it appears we had the most success when we played it on the floor and that is the style, supported by the briefly seen pressing game, that will bring us success. I would like to see Pitman and Arnold down the centre playing this style but said after the Dover game that I did not think PH would ever go down that route and still not convinced.

The missed chances, although shared amongst a number of players, highlights our need for that quality striker that has eluded us since Hearn's injury.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 102
Fcukthescunts
September 16, 2014, 11:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Went tonight (my first game of season) honestly thought we were better team although they looked more likely to score our defence looked shaky at time then solid the next. I am not totally convinced on Hurst but if we play like that we will be up there but all about consistency now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 102
GrimRob
September 16, 2014, 11:08pm

Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Rob its not the players who have lost faith but many of us fans. A good result tonight and interesting point on another thread that if some golden chances had been taken, including tonight, how different things may look. From feedback tonight it appears we had the most success when we played it on the floor and that is the style, supported by the briefly seen pressing game, that will bring us success. I would like to see Pitman and Arnold down the centre playing this style but said after the Dover game that I did not think PH would ever go down that route and still not convinced.

The missed chances, although shared amongst a number of players, highlights our need for that quality striker that has eluded us since Hearn's injury.

I think most of the fans still have faith in the manager. A few vociferous posters on here is a tiny fraction of fans.

There are many ways to play football. If it was an indisputable fact that paying a pressing, passing game every match was the most successful
then everyone would do it. Tonight we played to suit the personnel and system on the pitch, which is what you should do IMHO. If you have bigger forwards on then it makes sense to utilise their height more. I think it's good that we can vary our style and play different ways, it keeps the opposition guessing.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 24 - 102
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 16, 2014, 11:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Well I would guess that Fishy posters cover a fair cross section of our overall fan base, certainly where I sit in the upper findus he does not have a lot of support. We all want him to achieve but I just feel the inconsistency in results is the only constant in our results.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 102
ginnywings
September 16, 2014, 11:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimRob

I think most of the fans still have faith in the manager. A few vociferous posters on here is a tiny fraction of fans.

There are many ways to play football. If it was an indisputable fact that paying a pressing, passing game every match was the most successful
then everyone would do it. Tonight we played to suit the personnel and system on the pitch, which is what you should do IMHO. If you have bigger forwards on then it makes sense to utilise their height more. I think it's good that we can vary our style and play different ways, it keeps the opposition guessing.

Most of the fans I know don't have faith in the manager. The ones that are still going to games that is.  To say it's a few vociferous posters on here is well wide of the mark in my experience of talking to many Town fans.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 102
GrimRob
September 16, 2014, 11:32pm

Quoted from ginnywings

Most of the fans I know don't have faith in the manager. The ones that are still going to games that is.  To say it's a few vociferous posters on here is well wide of the mark in my experience of talking to many Town fans.

Well we have two trust representatives on the board so I guess they are gauging opinion. I guess most people just know like-minded friends who tend to be a similar age and background, to get a truly representative poll is difficult. My impression is we are nowhere near at the stage with the crowd where we were with the other sackings of the Fenty era: Rodger, Woods and Buckley (Newell sacking was a bit different).

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 27 - 102
GrimRob
September 16, 2014, 11:32pm

Quoted from ginnywings

Well we have two trust representatives on the board so I guess they are gauging opinion. I guess most people just know like-minded friends who tend to be a similar age and background, to get a truly representative poll is difficult. My impression is we are nowhere near at the stage with the crowd where we were with the other sackings of the Fenty era: Rodger, Woods and Buckley (Newell sacking was a bit different). Plus I feel the players totally back the manager which they didn't with some of the names I have mentioned.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 28 - 102
KK_DOG
September 16, 2014, 11:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
I am fully behind the Manager and fully behind the team. We were excellent tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well done players and gaffer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.