11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
brad_gtfc
September 17, 2014, 12:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from pontoonlew

Arnold's primary position isn't up front though is it? Anybody could see that 3 strikers (one with a history of injuries) wasn't going to be enough. In fact Hurst knows that himself yet has spent 3 bloody months failing to find one.

Hurst definitely should've gone and bought another striker, but if there isn't one out there who's going to better our squad then its pointless.
I know Hurst has had his faults, nobody is perfect but he hasn't half being unlucky. The recall of Boyce was a big blow, losing Thomas another. Going forward whoever is in the side we look good, just surprisingly, silly defending seems to have cost us recently. You can't legislate or blame Hurst for that, there is only so much he can do from the sidelines.
Also, Arnold has said his favoured position is upfront.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 102
Cott_Mike
September 17, 2014, 12:26pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +14
First game of the season for me last night.

I was pleasantly surprised. What impressed me most was seeing us having a decent midfield for the first time in a long time.

We also played some nice passing football.

Disley gives you a goal threat, but it looks like his legs have gone.

Like the look of Clay and Brown, plus the lad at left back Magnay.

Overall an encouraging performance.

Will definately be going back (beats the rubbish you see week in week out in the premier league).
Finally big shout out to the 450 town fans, made some great noise and got behind the team for the full 90 minutes.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 102
FishOutOfWater
September 17, 2014, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Rick12
Good to read.With hard work and dedication a lot can be achieved.Hopefully come end the end of the season we are in the playoffs or even winning the league although I admit its a tough call given we are a bit of the pace already

Thought I'd even out your scores with a tick seeing as though the red x phantom seems to be out and about again  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 52 - 102
kingster72
September 17, 2014, 1:05pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
Yes a good point maybe last night, but so everyone says it should have be 3.  It wasn't, so another 2 points missed and therefore its not a good point after all!  
Everyone says in the circumstances, so we are full-time, Halifax part-time, so should we not be beating part-timers?
Time to get real, it's been an awful start, just 3 wins from 10, with one of the biggest budgets.
I'll give the players credit for a better performance last night, but time for a manager to inspire wins, not draws and defeats against teams with much poorer resources.
#HURSTOUT  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 102
Rick12
September 17, 2014, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Thought I'd even out your scores with a tick seeing as though the red x phantom seems to be out and about again  
Nice gesture thanks.All opinion though isn't it so I take it with a pinch of salt  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 3:05pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I hope you are omitting me from any judgement you have cast down.

I am simply saying yes we got a point and it seems the 1st half was good but it needs to carried on with another result at kiddy.

we have 5 wins in the league in the last 19 matches going back to end of last season, that is poor form no matter how you look at it.

i didn't even realise it was that bad tbh.

LOL you make it sound almost biblical...Actually I wasn't including you because I hadn't read anything that you'd written...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 102
jonnyboy82
September 17, 2014, 3:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from barralad

LOL you make it sound almost biblical...Actually I wasn't including you because I hadn't read anything that you'd written...

May you be reprieved from any satanic act I had presumed  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 3:33pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Chrisblor

This mammary for tat nonsense is getting pathetic. Grow up and accept that some posters are allowed to be critical if they want to be. It's not embarrassing or negativity in most cases - there have been a lot of well considered critiques of the squad and Hurst's shortfallings from some of the so called 'Usual Suspects'. For example yes we played well last night, but if we'd had a striker who could hold the ball up then we'd probably have gone on to win. Hannah put in loads of effort last night, but it was so easy for their defenders to knock him off the ball when it was played into his feet and that led to many of our attacks breaking down. Hurst has to take some blame there because he didn't sign enough strikers, and failed to bring one in after two of them were injured. Drawing last night doesn't make up for the fact we have made stupid defensive mistakes, missed a number of clear chances and dropped points in recent games.

Cheers for your judgement on my maturity. The people I was referring to are a. those that didn't make any well considered critiques because b. they weren't there. I came back from Halifax on a bit of a "high" because I'd witnessed what I believed to be a very competent performance from a team that was up against it due to injuries and had suffered a bad defeat on Saturday. I came on here hoping for some decent debate regarding the performance and found thankfully loads of it. I don't really have to justify myself but will say I've got no problem at all with people who don't agree with my view on the current situation and acknowledge the well thought out nature and validity of some of the posts listing the short comings in the current set up regularly. What I find embarrassing is people hi-jacking threads about last night's game with comments demeaning the achievement of a point away at one of our main rivals whilst adding nothing of use to the discussion when they haven't attended the game. As freedom of speech works both ways I will reserve my right to criticise them for it whatever others may think of it.
As for the rest of your post I couldn't personally agree more with the majority of it although would take issue with the view that Hurst hasn't signed enough strikers as I believe four should be adequate for any team at our level. The fact that the injuries only happened on Saturday made it very difficult for Hurst to actually get "someone in" before last night's game-as indeed he stated in yesterday's Telegraph. But that, as I'm sure you will agree, is what opinions are all about

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 102
barralad
September 17, 2014, 3:37pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from kingster72
Yes a good point maybe last night, but so everyone says it should have be 3.  It wasn't, so another 2 points missed and therefore its not a good point after all!  
Everyone says in the circumstances, so we are full-time, Halifax part-time, so should we not be beating part-timers?
Time to get real, it's been an awful start, just 3 wins from 10, with one of the biggest budgets.
I'll give the players credit for a better performance last night, but time for a manager to inspire wins, not draws and defeats against teams with much poorer resources.
#HURSTOUT  

Can I just say...I didn't think it "should have been three" I thought a draw was a fair result....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 102
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 17, 2014, 3:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

Can I just say...I didn't think it "should have been three" I thought a draw was a fair result....

You were there and I wasn't but the commentary and reports suggest you are spot on in your assessment of last night's game. The two sides were reasonably evenly matched.  It means we played as well as the opposition.

The question I would ask though is why people accept that to be a fair result. Logically it makes no sense. For a "big" full time club visiting a part time club, a win would have been the expected result. A performance that results in a draw in those circumstances must surely be considered a below par performance, or else the opposition played above themselves. Well, Halifax certainly didn't do that did they? So that leaves us not playing well enough to do what we ought to be expecting, get 3 points.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 102
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well done players and gaffer

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.