Maringer
September 14, 2014, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,497
Gold Stars: 185
This thread is just flipping bizarre.

From reading the past few pages I've learnt that, apparently, when our strikers miss easy chances (cf. Hannah yesterday), it is because they haven't either:

a) been played enough
b) been encouraged enough

However, it is never:

c) their fault for missing easy chances

When they don't score enough goals or even look like scoring (cf. Cook and Southwell over the past couple of seasons), it is because they haven't either:

a) been played enough

but is never:

c) their fault for not playing well

If they move to a different club and begin to score some goals, it is apparently because they have either:

a) been played enough

but is nothing to do with the fact that they are:

c) playing at a lower level against teams filled mostly with amateurs instead of plenty with professionals

If you want to criticise the players for not being good enough, no problem, but let's not create some psychobabble bullshite that we're missing chances because Hurst hasn't given the players a cuddle and a pat on the head before the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 78
chaos33
September 14, 2014, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Good points mate.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 78
Tom13
September 15, 2014, 1:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
I'd also add that Hannah had a bloody long run of games in the team last year and played pretty much no different to how he played yesterday last year.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 78
DocTower
September 15, 2014, 7:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Tom13
I'd also add that Hannah had a bloody long run of games in the team last year and played pretty much no different to how he played yesterday last year.

Add to that , our midfield didn't supply to ball , and as a striking partnership Ross and John don't compliment each other. Well thats my view for what it's worth . Just wish we had something positive to talk about .

Think I might go and book myself a holiday for the end of October , somewhere sunny .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 78
DocTower
September 15, 2014, 7:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from grimsby pete
I have been watching football and supporting the Mariners for nearly 60 years now,

I played as a striker and feel I know what goes through ones head and what is needed to be good at your job,

So I will give you my opinion on our strikers past and present ( for what it is worth )

John Lewis will never be prolific we all know he works his socks off and I would have loved to play along side him,( at this level he should be scoring a few more goals to keep his place in the team )

Ross Hannah is a goal scorer but he needs the ball played in the right places for him to put them away, we do not seem to be able to do that very well,

Andy Cook was the type of player that needed the boss to put his arms around him and keep telling him how good he is, that did not happen, So he lacked confidence

Dayle Southwell showed promise and deserved a bit more game time to prove his worth, he never got it,( I would have given him another contract and then loaned him to Boston )

Some of you will say, why should a manager have to tell a player how good he is all the time,

Well it works at Chelsea , Lampard was told nearly every day he was the best midfield in the world,

He did not believe his boss but it gave him confidence to do things and score goals,

It is the managers job not only to get the team to play a certain way but to make sure that all the players understand their role and that they have the confidence to fulfil it,

Once all the players understand what their role in the formation is and they are happy and confident to do it, you just might get some consistency and some reward for every bodies hard work ie promotion.

I feel a lot of the above is not been done , so if the said manager finds himself out of a job he can only blame himself,

One final point if the manager keeps on about the other side, you start to believe they are better than they are and the fear factor creeps in,

Top managers might mention one or two things to look out for but they will tell their players never mind about them,

You go out and work hard and show them how good we are.

This is one of the most sensible and reasoned summaries I have read for a long time .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 78
Marinerdan
September 15, 2014, 8:23am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
The more I've seen of Hannah the more I fear we've been sold a pup. He's Slow, short, weak can't finish and lacks the guile and awareness to get into dangerous  onside positions.The player we had on loan is long gone. Increasingly he's reminding me of the type of player we've been plagued with over the last 10 years, players who are great on loan when they're trying to win a contract but woeful once they have one.

Let's not forget Hannah was involved in some very tough contract negotiations when he came here, I wouldn't be suprised if he was one of, if not the the top earners at the club.  Sadly for the money we've got tied up in Hannah we could have probably paid Gregory's salary at Halifax 3 or 4 times.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 78
barralad
September 15, 2014, 8:48am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Maringer
This thread is just flipping bizarre.

From reading the past few pages I've learnt that, apparently, when our strikers miss easy chances (cf. Hannah yesterday), it is because they haven't either:

a) been played enough

However, it is never:

c) their fault for missing easy chances

When they don't score enough goals or even look like scoring (cf. Cook and Southwell over the past couple of seasons), it is because they haven't either:

a) been played enough

but is never:

c) their fault for not playing well

If they move to a different club and begin to score some goals, it is apparently because they have either:

a) been played enough

but is nothing to do with the fact that they are:

c) playing at a lower level against teams filled mostly with amateurs instead of plenty with professionals

If you want to criticise the players for not being good enough, no problem, but let's not create some psychobabble bullshite that we're missing chances because Hurst hasn't given the players a cuddle and a pat on the head before the game.

Genius.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 78
barralad
September 15, 2014, 8:51am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Didn't you watch them last season? The best Hannah played was with Cook against Huddersfield.

Yeah-Did you?

As I recall the whole team played out of their skins against Huddersfield. I'd have been very surprised if they hadn't got themselves pumped up for that game....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 78
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2014, 9:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,237
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad

Yeah-Did you?

As I recall the whole team played out of their skins against Huddersfield. I'd have been very surprised if they hadn't got themselves pumped up for that game....

Surprised with your selective memory that you can remember.....
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 78
TownSNAFU5
September 15, 2014, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
looking at things deeper,  it is probably that the strikers we have bought in recent years have not been good enough or not right for GTFC.  (Hearn and Connell accepted). They are probably many different  reasons for this.

Hannah scored goals on loan, Cook and Soares (remember him) both scored goals for so called smaller teams and/or PT teams in this Division.  I know Soares was not a striker but he did score goals. We can also buy strikers that have a poor injury record, and get injured (the ex-Crawley striker and Pittman). Hearn is excepted because he at least scored goals for one season.  

When they get in our first team they stop scoring frequently.  Some fans will also say that once we have the strikers here, that we do not play the right ones in the team.

The manager(s) have made poor decisions in buying strikers, and/or better strikers did not want to come to Grimsby, or we have been very unlucky.  I cannot think money is an issue each time, only when FGR are involved.

You cannot be unlucky all the time.  So another factor could be that we don't develop and coach strikers.  Or that they fans get on the players back more than other clubs.  

Scunthorpe, and to a lesser extend Halifax, have shown excellent judgement in recent years in securing good strikers.  Scunny have made a good profit from unearthing talent on the cheap, getting goals from them and then selling them on.  We seem incapable of doing this (bar the signing on Hearn),

Whatever the reasons, the decisions made by the manager(s) have cost us dearly.    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ross Hannah

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.