mariner91
September 14, 2014, 12:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,255
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How many Conference games did Southwell start? He started 3 cup games and scored 5 goals including 1 from the bench. I know he's not the same type of player as LJL but his strike rate was better than any other at the club.

I'm sure, if I had the time or inclination, that I could trawl this message board and find countless posts saying he wasn't good enough and very few saying he was. There seems to be a strange habit at the minute of looking back on ineffective strikers with rose tinted glasses.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 78
mariner91
September 14, 2014, 12:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How many Conference games did Southwell start? He started 3 cup games and scored 5 goals including 1 from the bench. I know he's not the same type of player as LJL but his strike rate was better than any other at the club.

And those three goals were all against Coalville, they're three leagues below us ffs, I reckon I could score 3 past them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 78
DocTower
September 14, 2014, 12:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from mariner91

I'm sure, if I had the time or inclination, that I could trawl this message board and find countless posts saying he wasn't good enough and very few saying he was. There seems to be a strange habit at the minute of looking back on ineffective strikers with rose tinted glasses.

Think thst this shows the frustration of all the fans seeing what we had and ehat we have now . No progression as we were promised . Players come and go we are here for life , we see different things to what thd manager sees . Unfortunately most fans can see where it's going wrong but the most important man can't .  To even have a contract as a professional footballer to many would be a dream come true . To be a professional footballer you must have had the skill and ability to be awarded one in the first place . It's the managers job to enhance the abilty and mentality of the player whatever division they are in . Some do it better than others ,  what camp are we in ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 78
LH
September 14, 2014, 12:20pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I don't know how anyone can question the ability of the self-titled Goal Machine.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 78
mariner91
September 14, 2014, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DocTower

Think thst this shows the frustration of all the fans seeing what we had and ehat we have now . No progression as we were promised . Players come and go we are here for life , we see different things to what thd manager sees . Unfortunately most fans can see where it's going wrong but the most important man can't .  To even have a contract as a professional footballer to many would be a dream come true . To be a professional footballer you must have had the skill and ability to be awarded one in the first place . It's the managers job to enhance the abilty and mentality of the player whatever division they are in . Some do it better than others ,  what camp are we in ?

I think Pittman is an improvement on anything we've had since Hearn in his prime but predictably is injured.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 78
arryarryarry
September 14, 2014, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from mariner91

Being an ineffective striker never stopped Hurst picking LJL.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 78
barralad
September 14, 2014, 12:34pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from DocTower

Think thst this shows the frustration of all the fans seeing what we had and ehat we have now . No progression as we were promised . Players come and go we are here for life , we see different things to what thd manager sees . Unfortunately most fans can see where it's going wrong but the most important man can't . To even have a contract as a professional footballer to many would be a dream come true . To be a professional footballer you must have had the skill and ability to be awarded one in the first place . It's the managers job to enhance the abilty and mentality of the player whatever division they are in . Some do it better than others ,  what camp are we in ?

Therein lies the real problem. Just reading this board there are countless opinions as to what is going wrong which vary depending on the latest result.As far as I know none of us are professionals. I wouldn't know where to start in installing a central heating system but I'm safe in the knowledge that there are people out there who can so I don't have to try. In my defence of him I've second guessed what Hurst was thinking tactically but in reality have no idea. It's not a problem really as this is just a message board that people use to let off steam but for me the problem comes when we do actually think we know the job!  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 78
Madeleymariner
September 14, 2014, 12:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
I just think Hurst coaches good stuff out of the players. We have signed some good players on paper who seem to do well for a few weeks after they arrive then just seem to get worse and worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 78
barralad
September 14, 2014, 12:36pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from mariner91

Nostalgia i.e. the pain of looking back (It's from the Greek) Bit like those who want this country to return to what it was like in the 50s

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 78
KingstonMariner
September 14, 2014, 12:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mariner91

So you would say that this MB should pick the team?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.