8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Stevie Saunders
September 14, 2014, 6:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
If Hannah isn;t scoring then he offers nothing really
Seems a stupid thing to say about a striker but - despite the morons behind me in Ponny slagging Lenny off after 4 minutes, wanting him to be brought off when he was injured thus leaving us with 10 men, and just waiting for the poor sod to make a mistake of any kind, most 'fair minded' people can see that LJL offers a lot in terms of holding the ball up, and bringing other players into the play

Still, it's always 'super Rossy Hannah' whatever he does
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 78
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 14, 2014, 7:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Stevie Saunders
If Hannah isn;t scoring then he offers nothing really
Seems a stupid thing to say about a striker but - despite the morons behind me in Ponny slagging Lenny off after 4 minutes, wanting him to be brought off when he was injured thus leaving us with 10 men, and just waiting for the poor sod to make a mistake of any kind, most 'fair minded' people can see that LJL offers a lot in terms of holding the ball up, and bringing other players into the play

Still, it's always 'super Rossy Hannah' whatever he does

Whoever plays out wide or as second striker must feel under tremendous pressure to score goals in this side, knowing that game after game the main striker is unlikely to do it.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 78
Stevie Saunders
September 14, 2014, 7:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
I accept your point on main striker
We have a main striker who is generally a really good player but can't score a hatful or consistently and another (Hannah) who has 'offsideitis', wh gets knocked off the ball easily, and whose control is pretty poor

Quite a problem to be honest and we now have the best all round striker and possible 20+ goals (Pittman) out injured for weeks

Deflated and hacked off!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 78
TownSNAFU5
September 14, 2014, 7:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,872
Gold Stars: 42
Hannah would benefit with a run of games.  The rub being that he hasn't played more often because he was not considered good enough or suitable to work with his fellow striker.

In truth, Hannah has never replicated the number of goals he scored when first on loan to us. He also looks as if he was born offside.  

Overall, we are now struggling with our strikers when other parts of the team are not functioning as well as they should do.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 78
grimsby pete
September 14, 2014, 8:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I have been watching football and supporting the Mariners for nearly 60 years now,

I played as a striker and feel I know what goes through ones head and what is needed to be good at your job,

So I will give you my opinion on our strikers past and present ( for what it is worth )

John Lewis will never be prolific we all know he works his socks off and I would have loved to play along side him,( at this level he should be scoring a few more goals to keep his place in the team )

Ross Hannah is a goal scorer but he needs the ball played in the right places for him to put them away, we do not seem to be able to do that very well,

Andy Cook was the type of player that needed the boss to put his arms around him and keep telling him how good he is, that did not happen, So he lacked confidence

Dayle Southwell showed promise and deserved a bit more game time to prove his worth, he never got it,( I would have given him another contract and then loaned him to Boston )

Some of you will say, why should a manager have to tell a player how good he is all the time,

Well it works at Chelsea , Lampard was told nearly every day he was the best midfield in the world,

He did not believe his boss but it gave him confidence to do things and score goals,

It is the managers job not only to get the team to play a certain way but to make sure that all the players understand their role and that they have the confidence to fulfil it,

Once all the players understand what their role in the formation is and they are happy and confident to do it, you just might get some consistency and some reward for every bodies hard work ie promotion.

I feel a lot of the above is not been done , so if the said manager finds himself out of a job he can only blame himself,

One final point if the manager keeps on about the other side, you start to believe they are better than they are and the fear factor creeps in,

Top managers might mention one or two things to look out for but they will tell their players never mind about them,

You go out and work hard and show them how good we are.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 78
barralad
September 14, 2014, 8:33pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well get ready for plenty of my views on your opinions because that is what a forum/message board is about. Or am I to believe (with your sanctimonious attitude) that it should only be available for those who wish to toe the party line.

I'm fed up of listening to/reading why we should continue to tolerate 10 years of failure and I see no sign from our current manager that this will change any time soon. Convince me otherwise!

What is this party line you keep going on about?  I say it as I see it and at least I can say I've seen it with my own eyes....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 78
barralad
September 14, 2014, 8:40pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Hannah would benefit with a run of games.  The rub being that he hasn't played more often because he was not considered good enough or suitable to work with his fellow striker.

In truth, Hannah has never replicated the number of goals he scored when first on loan to us. He also looks as if he was born offside.  

Overall, we are now struggling with our strikers when other parts of the team are not functioning as well as they should do.  

I do think Hannah would benefit from a run of games-the trouble is in a team that doesn't seem, in general, to create a lot of chances, the pressure is on from the start.
I don't really get this we don't provide him with the right sort of service-both chances on Saturday were put on a plate. I actually think he could form a decent partnership with LJL over time-time that he may well have if JPPs injury is a bad one.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 78
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 14, 2014, 8:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,684
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from barralad

I do think Hannah would benefit from a run of games-the trouble is in a team that doesn't seem, in general, to create a lot of chances, the pressure is on from the start.
I don't really get this we don't provide him with the right sort of service-both chances on Saturday were put on a plate. I actually think he could form a decent partnership with LJL over time-time that he may well have if JPPs injury is a bad one.

I admire your optimism Barra but do not recall them playing all that great when paired together last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 78
DocTower
September 14, 2014, 9:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from barralad

We attempt to play football but we just aren't , and never look dangerous . When we do get in the box our excitement level rarely get my juices flowing .  Regarding striker partnerships  as much as I would love John and Ross to be the Keegan Tochack of Grimsby  I really can't see it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 78
MuddyWaters
September 14, 2014, 9:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from barralad

Didn't you watch them last season? The best Hannah played was with Cook against Huddersfield.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ross Hannah

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.