mariner91
September 14, 2014, 10:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from barralad
It is very unfair to say that he doesn't put the effort in and his misses yesterday could, quite conceivably be down to lack of match practice. Where I think he is sadly lacking is in his awareness of things around him-hence his repeated off-sides.
As for side footed goals I'd have settled for them coming off his backside yesterday!

I don't think it is. He doesn't put himself about, he doesn't challenge the defenders on the ground or in the air. Frankly it's as though he isn't even on the pitch at times.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 78
grimsby pete
September 14, 2014, 10:52am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from pontoonlew
I've always called for Hannah to start but he was absolutely dreadful. I still believe a lot of it is that Hurst had drained his confidence over the past year.

A striker plays with confidence when he is scoring goals,

To score goals however he needs 3 things,

1. The confidence of  his manager,

2. Knowing he will play every week,

3. Not looking over his shoulder to see if he is going to be subbed.

He never  has had a really long run in the side since he has signed,

Whether we have that 20 goal a season striker in him is still debatable imo.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 78
pontoonlew
September 14, 2014, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
I agree with you Pete, just like with countless strikers before. Last season alone Hurst destroyed Cook & Southwell with his shocking man management of his forwards. Surprise surprise they're both having great seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 78
DocTower
September 14, 2014, 11:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Ross , even in his earlier career with Belper was always getting caught off side . My ex work colleagues son played with him and was asking hos he was getting on . So its part of Rosses game that will never be removed ,
Quick through balls seem IMO to be the only way you accommodate his style . Being sat on the bench for bit parts isn't . Also the managers tactics haven't helped with the emphasis of your front line being Lewis .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 78
barralad
September 14, 2014, 11:03am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from pontoonlew
I agree with you Pete, just like with countless strikers before. Last season alone Hurst destroyed Cook & Southwell with his shocking man management of his forwards. Surprise surprise they're both having great seasons.

You should be a politician fella!!!!

Cook is playing at probably his level. Southwell isn't playing in the Conference.

Who are the others in the countless list?

As a pro footballer Hannah should be able to adopt the attitude of "I'll show him"-yesterday he did nothing of note to persuade the manager that he is worth a revision of the line up

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 78
DocTower
September 14, 2014, 11:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from barralad

You should be a politician fella!!!!

Cook is playing at probably his level. Southwell isn't playing in the Conference.

Who are the others in the countless list?

As a pro footballer Hannah should be able to adopt the attitude of "I'll show him"-yesterday he did nothing of note to persuade the manager that he is worth a revision of the line up

Like Pontoonlew said , Hursts man management appears to leave alot to be desired .
These strikers who you mentioned never really got an extended run , one bad game and you didn't see them for weeks . Then when they did get a chance everyone was expecting a Messi like performace ..
Picking his favorites whatever is going to be his downfall .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 78
mariner91
September 14, 2014, 11:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

Would be more of a statement if they weren't playing part time football at a lower level.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 78
pontoonlew
September 14, 2014, 11:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
How can Cook be at 'about his level' in 2 out of 3 Conference seasons he scored goals? It was only the last season where he got barely a sniff and publicaly slated by the manager that he didn't score goals.

Hurst did it with Southwell, he deeply frustrated Hearn. Further down the pitch he's already done in to Winfarrah this season. I'm sure if you gave me an hour or so there would be a lot more players I could name who at some point have suffered from Hursts dreadful man management.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 78
mariner91
September 14, 2014, 11:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
How can Cook be at 'about his level' in 2 out of 3 Conference seasons he scored goals? It was only the last season where he got barely a sniff and publicaly slated by the manager that he didn't score goals.

Hurst did it with Southwell, he deeply frustrated Hearn. Further down the pitch he's already done in to Winfarrah this season. I'm sure if you gave me an hour or so there would be a lot more players I could name who at some point have suffered from Hursts dreadful man management.

What did he do with Southwell exactly? Give him some chances to grab his place and see him not take them? And what did he do to frustrate Hearn? Genuinely you've lost me on that one. Winfarrah I agree deserved to keep his place after his first game.

Cook did fairly well in his first season with us but I was still never convinced by him really. His second season he was very poor and looked grossly out of shape. When his chances came he didn't take them. But I do agree you shouldn't slate a player publicly, that is for the dressing room.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 78
MuddyWaters
September 14, 2014, 12:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from mariner91

What did he do with Southwell exactly? Give him some chances to grab his place and see him not take them? And what did he do to frustrate Hearn? Genuinely you've lost me on that one. Winfarrah I agree deserved to keep his place after his first game.

How many Conference games did Southwell start? He started 3 cup games and scored 5 goals including 1 from the bench. I know he's not the same type of player as LJL but his strike rate was better than any other at the club.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ross Hannah

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.