11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
bradzmilne
July 17, 2014, 9:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,400
Gold Stars: 29
It's just another dig at a northern town, happened before and will happen again. "Just look at how them peasants live" comes to mind.
Don't forget guys, if your from England but don't live in London - no-one really cares. Yes, I'm bitter haha.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 103
grimps
July 17, 2014, 12:21pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,117
Gold Stars: 46
It's a comedy !
We can take a joke , get over it you bunch of fannies
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 103
psgmariner
July 17, 2014, 12:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I am really looking forward to it.

Will be interesting to see if he perfects the Grimsby accent. Wonder if he has consulted Cod Almighty's dictionary:

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=220

Private Message
Reply: 82 - 103
Marinerz93
July 17, 2014, 1:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from highcliff mariner
[/b]

Really ,Just45%  are "decent" ? so the majority arn't then .

Do you believe that the majority conform with generally accepted standards of respectability and moral behaviour.  We are not talking about what has become common place acceptability of standards of respect and moral behaviour.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 103
forza ivano
July 17, 2014, 1:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,173
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from nickmariners

Actually, Kazakhstan invested millions in its infrastructure, advertising and brand management to rectify/capitalise (take your pick) on the image presented by Sacha bc. Whether this forced investment will pay off, time will tell, currently I believe it's a net loss  - but you can bet that Sacha bc's goal was not to help to regenerate that country - nor our town.

Yes, Grimsby does have countless challenges to face, but I'm not comfortable with this comedian bringing them to the world's attention - there really IS such a thing as BAD publicity.

However - since film is going ahead, our best response is to greet it with good humour, and to present positive aspects of the place. Even though sbc IS a cheeky f+++ing urine-taker.

really do hope the marketing dept is aware of the film coz i think there will definitely be a upsurge of interet in the club from home and abroad and i'd love to think they'll have a strategy in place to deal with it and exploit it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 103
KingstonMariner
July 17, 2014, 3:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Do we have any similarities with Kazakhstan?

I seem to recall they have a swimming pool with a filtration system that can remove 90% of human solid waste. Cleethorpes has a pool with a scratchy floor.

They have the annual Running of the Jew and we have the annual Running of the Yorkie.

Any more?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 103
forza ivano
July 17, 2014, 11:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,173
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Do we have any similarities with Kazakhstan?

I seem to recall they have a swimming pool with a filtration system that can remove 90% of human solid waste. Cleethorpes has a pool with a scratchy floor.

They have the annual Running of the Jew and we have the annual Running of the Yorkie.

Any more?

There are certainly no similarities between the Kazakh president and anyone in charge of gtfc. The Kazakh president is a dictator who brooks no criticism and closes down any opposing views in the media, . Furthermore he wants to name his capital city, his personal building project, after himself. It would be the equivalent of our beloved benefactor calling our wonderful new stadium the 'fenty dome'. All this just shows the huge differences between these two much loved leaders despite both of them being elected by almost unfeasably huge numbers of their grateful followers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 103
moosey_club
July 17, 2014, 11:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from forza ivano

really do hope the marketing dept is aware of the film coz i think there will definitely be a upsurge of interet in the club from home and abroad and i'd love to think they'll have a strategy in place to deal with it and exploit it

Quality....you should be on stage  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 103
KingstonMariner
July 18, 2014, 7:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano

There are certainly no similarities between the Kazakh president and anyone in charge of gtfc. The Kazakh president is a dictator who brooks no criticism and closes down any opposing views in the media, . Furthermore he wants to name his capital city, his personal building project, after himself. It would be the equivalent of our beloved benefactor calling our wonderful new stadium the 'fenty dome'. All this just shows the huge differences between these two much loved leaders despite both of them being elected by almost unfeasably huge numbers of their grateful followers

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 103
barralad
July 20, 2014, 10:15am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from petethemariner

Well i seem to remember Kazakhstan threatening Cohen with legal action and i think
it would be fair to say it had more of a negative impact on the image of that country
than a positive one, the damage that can be done is to the image of the Town, we  have been tarred with a bad image (unfairly IMO) for decades and this will just make it worse.
It's OK for  you basing yourself in Farsley, we who actually live in this Town will be the
butt of the inevitable jokes - i am a  Grimbarian, born and bred and proud of it - sick
of the jokes about my birthplace, if i am  being over sensitive then so be it, i d'ont expect everyone to agree, but its how i feel and just my opinion.

I'm just surprised that people think this film will do anything to Grimsby's reputation other than confirm the views that people who already slag it off have. It's not as though this is a town that generates favourable opinion anyway and Cohen is somehow trying to change peoples views. Christ on a bike the name itself has been a source of amusement to some for years. I and I suspect thousands of others will not have our opinions of the town swayed by it and will see it for what it is the selection of an easy target to make a film maker some money to pay his bills...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Sacha Baron Cohen new Grimsby look

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.