July 21, 2014, 8:35am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from RoboCod

I don't think that's right.

It is right. The Everton fans saw fit to sing "You Only SINK When You're Fishing" through a minutes silence for one of a pair of Grimsby trawlers lost in storms with all hands in the North Sea a day or so before the game. It added particular satisfaction to a great win.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 103
RoboCod
July 21, 2014, 8:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I was always told that the original "SING when we're fishing'  came up a few years before that though, not in 1979 when it went on to became a popular chant. I remember the Everton game at BP had a minutes silence for Paddy Hamilton but I don't recall any Everton taunts, unless it was another Everton game. We have a decent win ratio against them after all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 103
bax
July 21, 2014, 9:36am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Ships Cat
I've always thought that, from a marketing point of view the town should have used the name Great Grimsby a lot more. I do think the film will show us in a negative light, but this is also an opportunity to have our say about the positives of the area and maybe reinvent ourselves.

That would involve those in high places have the imagination and nouse to do that. And let's face it, it's not there at council level.

It is possible to turn around the outside view of an area - look at the campaign to turn Hull around through the City of Culture bid? So many people pulling together and look at the external investment.

If the powers that be hired imaginative PR and marketing people then they could use this film for good. But don't hold your breath.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 103
barralad
July 21, 2014, 10:33am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from RoboCod
I was always told that the original "SING when we're fishing'  came up a few years before that though, not in 1979 when it went on to became a popular chant. I remember the Everton game at BP had a minutes silence for Paddy Hamilton but I don't recall any Everton taunts, unless it was another Everton game. We have a decent win ratio against them after all.

Bizarrely the minutes silence for Paddy Hamilton took place before the third round game against Notts County in the same season. That was observed impeccably by the Magpies fans IIRC.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Sacha Baron Cohen new Grimsby look

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.