11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
petethemariner
July 16, 2014, 9:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I can only hope so Highcliff, but sadly i think it will perpetuate the opinion of
many (who probably haven' t even visited the Town) that this is a fair reflection
and i think we will unfortunately become a standing joke.
I really hope you are right though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 103
Grimal
July 16, 2014, 9:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Marinerz93
When I was in HM Forces I was based around the UK and overseas.  I always loved coming back home but every time I came back I could see the Town getting worse on each visit.  I now work from Boston/Lincoln/Scunthorpe/Rotherham/Wakefield and Grimsby area.  I see more boarded up houses and rough areas in Grimsby than anywhere else.  I also see more people bimbling along like the walking dead because they are either off their face on drugs or are drunk.  The amount of people I see walking around Town with tinnies in there hand at 9am is ridiculous.

The money generated in this Town should see it as one of the most affluent areas in the North.  The lion-share of blame lays at the feet of the council.  I hope that Sacha rips the Town a new one and the councillors finally realise how their incompetence and ineptness has cost the Town so dearly.

You mention you work out of Boston,I lived there for 45 yrs and God knows which part of Boston you work from but from what I've seen and know it's a far worse town for Drugs and Tinnies and muggings than Grimsby will ever be. Boston/Spalding area have the third highest drug related deaths in the country (FACT). I have no fear of walking out at night in any part of Grimsby but there are several areas in Boston I would never venture after dark. I have friends living there and they never go out at night unless in their cars.Next time you work from boston just have a walk down Fydell street any time night and day,you will see more tinnies down that road alone than the the whole of Grimsby. I moved to Grimsby 7 years ago and don't regret it one bit.
When I told people I had moved to Grimsby,some said,what ever have you moved there for ,my answer was, have you ever been, most said no but the name Grimsby doesn't sound very nice,I will agree with that. My answer was don't knock it until you've visited.The ones that have visited us have been pleasantly surprised.We had the choice of moving to Grimsby or Nottingham and we chose Grimsby,no contest.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 103
Rodley Mariner
July 16, 2014, 9:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
What exactly are we fearing? That the thousands of Japanese and American tourists who flood in each year will spend their Yen and Dollars elsewhere? It'll be a urine-take but what damage can it actually do? What negative impacts has Kazakhstan seen? I'll be honest and say that if it doesn't materially damage the Town then I couldn't care less what it makes people think and I can't really see what damage it can do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 103
petethemariner
July 16, 2014, 9:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
What exactly are we fearing? That the thousands of Japanese and American tourists who flood in each year will spend their Yen and Dollars elsewhere? It'll be a urine-take but what damage can it actually do? What negative impacts has Kazakhstan seen? I'll be honest and say that if it doesn't materially damage the Town then I couldn't care less what it makes people think and I can't really see what damage it can do.

Well i seem to remember Kazakhstan threatening Cohen with legal action and i think
it would be fair to say it had more of a negative impact on the image of that country
than a positive one, the damage that can be done is to the image of the Town, we  have been tarred with a bad image (unfairly IMO) for decades and this will just make it worse.
It's OK for  you basing yourself in Farsley, we who actually live in this Town will be the
butt of the inevitable jokes - i am a  Grimbarian, born and bred and proud of it - sick
of the jokes about my birthplace, if i am  being over sensitive then so be it, i d'ont expect everyone to agree, but its how i feel and just my opinion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 103
Grimal
July 16, 2014, 9:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Marinerz93

Like I said earlier, the areas I work in vary every day and I get a chance to visit many places both good and bad.  I can go days or even weeks without working in the GY area but as soon as I do, I see them, tinnies in hand, I see it more here than anywhere else.  The decent folk in this Town have been slipping into the minority for years so the larger majority won't even be bothered.  As a percentage of 90K no idea, who would, but I would say it is higher here than a lot of Northern Towns from what I have seen.

I have spoken to people who have come here for housing (UK citizens) and they are shocked at some of the areas they have moved into. [/b] It also speaks volumes about one of the housing associations when they would rather have an eastern Europeans living in one of their houses than a local.
[b]

I had 3 houses that I rented out in Peterborough and I also prefered Eastern Europeans as Tenants, The houses they rented were always spotless and rent always paid on time, unlike some "locals" we had in at various times,good and bad tenants in all nationalities I suppose but I can understand the housing associations.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 103
Eastendmariner
July 16, 2014, 9:46pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
To be honest I think that we are getting a little carried away with the gy image being tarnished forever. Everyone that has been to the place has and will have a pop.you can name so many other towns that are dumps Grimsby is not alone. I love gy I  love the club, I couldn't live there though not because I have doubts it's the job situation. Those pics could be taken anywhere they are a part of The  image that is portrayed of people less fortunate than the well offs..let's hope in 8 month's time Grimsby are back in the news for all the right reasons  our return to the football league .

Up the Mariners

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 103
grimsby pete
July 16, 2014, 9:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
For the people who have never been to Grimsby but watch the film,

In all honesty we will be able to say to them,

" Yes Grimsby did look like a shithole in the film but it was filmed in Southend "  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 103
Rodley Mariner
July 16, 2014, 10:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from petethemariner

Well i seem to remember Kazakhstan threatening Cohen with legal action and i think
it would be fair to say it had more of a negative impact on the image of that country
than a positive one, the damage that can be done is to the image of the Town, we  have been tarred with a bad image (unfairly IMO) for decades and this will just make it worse.
It's OK for  you basing yourself in Farsley, we who actually live in this Town will be the
butt of the inevitable jokes - i am a  Grimbarian, born and bred and proud of it - sick
of the jokes about my birthplace, if i am  being over sensitive then so be it, i d'ont expect everyone to agree, but its how i feel and just my opinion.

I didn't realise that by 'basing' myself in Farsley I'd lost my right to an opinion. For what it's worth I do think you're being over-sensitive especially given that it's a year from release and you've seen none of it. You're obviously proud of being from Grimsby, as am I and I'll still be proud whatever the film says and whatever people think.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 103
louth_in_the_south
July 16, 2014, 10:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,646
Gold Stars: 94
I can't wait for it to come out . I'll be pi.ssing myself at it ha ha cod heads

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 103
petethemariner
July 16, 2014, 10:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
No Rodley, on the GET website we saw more footage last week and to be perfectly
honest  it would have been  massively harsh  even for the very worst areas of this
Town, we will be slaughtered and its not even filmed here.
I'm not suggesting you have no right to an opinion, merely that its much easier to
be philospohical about it when its not your doorstep that's being portrayed unfairly.
As i said, i d'ont care if people think i am being  over sensitive, i probably am, i am just
sick of cheap jibes about the Town of my birth, its time we stopped being so apathetic
about it and  accepting our  tedious deprecation and 'gallows humour'.
People should read Grimals first post on this subject.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Sacha Baron Cohen new Grimsby look

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.