Marinerz93
July 16, 2014, 11:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from petethemariner

Really? Lets take a ludicrously high figure of 1 in 10 walking zombie like under
the influence of drink or drugs - that would be in excess of 9000 people, even
with  10% percentage permanently  'out of their heads' that means 80 odd thousand
people who aren't - or aren't these folk 'decent' as well?
If you really mean that Marinerz  i think you are  very, very wrong.
I am not for one moment suggesting that Grimsby is some form of Northern Monte Carlo
we all know the areas where Cohens representation of the Town is  probably a fair one but my point is that this is still a vast minority - i and tens of thousand of others have lived in this Town all of our lives and i consider myself extremely 'decent'. as i
am sure  most others do and are..
All about opinions, but d'ont tar the majority with the brush of the small minority.

I wasn't saying the majority of this Town is off it's face or drunk, I said it seems to me that there is a larger percentage here from what I have seen in Grimsby compared to other Northern Towns.

Years ago the decent people were the majority, not now, not from what I've seen.  80,000 decent people in GY, I'll have what ever your supping  , my guestimate is 45% of decent people left in this Town.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 103
MeanwoodMariner
July 16, 2014, 11:10pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
With respect, do you really believe the people of this country who haven't visited
Grimsby will really believe that Grimsby isn't how it is portrayed in the film? As a Town
we will be ridiculed to the point of offence, are we really worse than Scunthorpe and
dozens of other Northern Towns? IMO No..

I may well be naive but I just don't see what harm it will do. People with a bit of sense will realise it's a comedy and not a documentary. If it's a genuinely funny film that does well then it will be "good" for the town merely by association.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 103
Marinerz93
July 16, 2014, 11:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Grimal

You mention you work out of Boston,I lived there for 45 yrs and God knows which part of Boston you work from but from what I've seen and know it's a far worse town for Drugs and Tinnies and muggings than Grimsby will ever be. Boston/Spalding area have the third highest drug related deaths in the country (FACT). I have no fear of walking out at night in any part of Grimsby but there are several areas in Boston I would never venture after dark. I have friends living there and they never go out at night unless in their cars.Next time you work from boston just have a walk down Fydell street any time night and day,you will see more tinnies down that road alone than the the whole of Grimsby. I moved to Grimsby 7 years ago and don't regret it one bit.
When I told people I had moved to Grimsby,some said,what ever have you moved there for ,my answer was, have you ever been, most said no but the name Grimsby doesn't sound very nice,I will agree with that. My answer was don't knock it until you've visited.The ones that have visited us have been pleasantly surprised.We had the choice of moving to Grimsby or Nottingham and we chose Grimsby,no contest.

Never been down Fydell Street but many a lunch time in The Waterfront pub by the river, and working in that area, yes I saw a couple with tinnies.  I'm usually heading home at 4pm so I'll take your word for how bad it is after dark.

To be fair, Boston over the last few years has had to cope with an influx of undesirables that other countries were glad to see the back of.   The illegal alcohol factory that exploded being one example.

I know I used Boston to detail the area I cover but it isn't a Northern Town  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 103
petethemariner
July 16, 2014, 11:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Marinerz93

I wasn't saying the majority of this Town is off it's face or drunk, I said it seems to me that there is a larger percentage here from what I have seen in Grimsby compared to other Northern Towns.

Years ago the decent people were the majority, not now, not from what I've seen.  80,000 decent people in GY, I'll have what ever your supping  , my guestimate is 45% of decent people left in this Town.

So 55% of the population aren't decent because you have seen some scumbags on your travels  through the rougher parts of Grimsby? Well we will have to agree to differ on  this one - if you  really think that more than one in every  2 people isn't 'decent' you are doing a disservice to the  people of Grimsby and  its completely utterly untrue in my opinion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 103
petethemariner
July 17, 2014, 12:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Marinerz93

Let me make one final point ( i can hear the cheering) I'm not trying to suggest we
have 80000 Mother Teresas in Grimsby, those 80000+ people have the same various shortcomings,failings  and faults that  everyone has, whether they live in Grimsby or Henley on Thames, it depends on your interpretation of decent, but i can tell you something, there is no way we have  even the 10% of the population that i used as an example that spends their time permanently p!ssed ,drugged up to the eyeballs or
behaving in the sort of way that Cohen is showing in his film.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 103
forza ivano
July 17, 2014, 7:30am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,167
Gold Stars: 265

Well i seem to remember Kazakhstan threatening Cohen with legal action and i think
it would be fair to say it had more of a negative impact on the image of that country
than a positive one, the damage that can be done is to the image of the Town, we  have been tarred with a bad image (unfairly IMO) for decades and this will just make it worse.
It's OK for  you basing yourself in Farsley, we who actually live in this Town will be the
butt of the inevitable jokes - i am a  Grimbarian, born and bred and proud of it - sick
of the jokes about my birthplace, if i am  being over sensitive then so be it, i d'ont expect everyone to agree, but its how i feel and just my opinion.

Wrong on Kazakhstan Peter. Tourism to Kazakhstan massively increased as a direct result of the film
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 103
highcliff mariner
July 17, 2014, 8:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from Marinerz93

Really ,Just45%  are "decent" ? so the majority arn't then .
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 103
scrumble
July 17, 2014, 8:12am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Guessing from what you see on the streets is hardly an accurate way of measuring the quality of the townsfolk. For a start you will notice baseball capped chav arsing about, bottle of White Lightening in hand, but you don't notice Mrs Miggins on the way to the pie shop. Then there's the fact that during the day the majority of decent people are hard at work, and not dossing around on the street corner. Its like going in the hospital and saying 90% of the people in Grimsby are ill because that is all you can see.

I'm not saying Grimsby is perfect, but it isn't any different to any other big town or city. God knows I've worked in enough excrement holes, speaking of which, Hull certainly isn't any better.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 103
nickmariners
July 17, 2014, 9:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from forza ivano

Wrong on Kazakhstan Peter. Tourism to Kazakhstan massively increased as a direct result of the film

Actually, Kazakhstan invested millions in its infrastructure, advertising and brand management to rectify/capitalise (take your pick) on the image presented by Sacha bc. Whether this forced investment will pay off, time will tell, currently I believe it's a net loss  - but you can bet that Sacha bc's goal was not to help to regenerate that country - nor our town.

Yes, Grimsby does have countless challenges to face, but I'm not comfortable with this comedian bringing them to the world's attention - there really IS such a thing as BAD publicity.

However - since film is going ahead, our best response is to greet it with good humour, and to present positive aspects of the place. Even though sbc IS a cheeky f+++ing urine-taker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 103
RoboCod
July 17, 2014, 9:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from scrumble

I'm not saying Grimsby is perfect, but it isn't any different to any other big town or city. God knows I've worked in enough excrement holes, speaking of which, Hull certainly isn't any better.

This is exactly the point. It's a problem for England (the UK actually). Maybe it's part of the problem as to why the country's in such a social mess, we seem to have a trait of nasty sneeriness for anything outside of our 'patch'. Here in Lincoln I could show you some of the estates and Downhill areas as bad as anywhere else (lived off Sincil Bank just 10 years ago, the change down there is more than alarming), having a 'nice' area is always a big bonus for distracting this though.
I like Baron Cohen's humour, it's sharp and keenly observed but this one already smacks of a bit of creative laziness...chav in an England top, let's base him in a Northern Town....hey, here's one that even has the word 'grim' in its name.
I'll reserve judgement but I can see it only bringing negative thoughts of the town from people, on the whole, who know little of Grimsby in the first place.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Sacha Baron Cohen new Grimsby look

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.