Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 261 Guests

Just Back...

This thread currently has 9,548 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner21
December 28, 2013, 8:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
Has anyone ever seen fenty boo our team?

Tan on the other hand...god the media hate the man! He doesn't do himself any favours mind. Sums up what is wrong with the game these days
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 72
hook line and sinker
December 28, 2013, 8:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
it was a shame that we got back into it from 2 down,saved a peno and then let in the free kick in.The lad taking it on the right side of the box with his left peg was only putting it one place.was a soft goal to concede that at his near post.other than that macca has been nothing short of unbelievable for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 72
DocTower
December 28, 2013, 8:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
I knew this was going to be one of those games . Battered to hell on boxing day , and a changed line up . It proves how think or squad really is , although we have , on paper a moderate 4 or 5 reserves , they don't always step up to first team expectations .
Even after we got back to two all , they always seemed to be the team in the ascendancy . Their 23 , well , he ran that midfield , so much time and space time after time .
Bogey side , better side , roll on Lincoln ,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 72
RichMariner
December 28, 2013, 9:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I wonder if you've got the time to read the thoughts of someone who wasn't actually at the game today...

But I was at Lincoln on Boxing Day and that was an energy-sapping game if ever I saw one. It was a pretty bruising encounter and I said to my other half immediately after the game I'd be surprised if we won our home game v Macc.

So when I checked the score at half time and saw us 2-0 down, I couldn't say I was surprised.

But what pleased me was that we fought back to make it 2-2. Ok, so we lost it at the end, and on the balance of play it sounded like Macc just about deserved it, but I really didn't see that fightback coming after that battle at Sincil Bank just a couple of days before.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 33 - 72
grimsby pete
December 28, 2013, 9:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from marinette

Thought it was perhaps a bit of a wake-up call for us, as Macclesfield looked fresher, faster and fitter for the majority of the game.  We've been cruising just recently and the results have been coming right for us - the fact that we were losing badly today suddenly seemed to hit home, and our players reacted brilliantly.  It shows real character to stage a comeback like that, even if it didn't last.

Reading Pete's post above made me think again though - probably had a bit of the stuffing knocked out of us at Lincoln, which was only two days ago.  Did Macc play Boxing day as well?  (Their game might not have been as physically and mentally gruelling as ours - don't know - they certainly looked more lively and in control.)

Anyway, perhaps we needed a result like that to keep us on our toes.  Hope it doesn't do our league push too much damage.  McKeown my MOM.

Welcome back Marinette we have missed your input.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 72
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 28, 2013, 9:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Agree with most posts that the better team won today but, although a great free kick to win the game it should not have been awarded, as Thomas clearly played the ball.

Also agree with concerns about balance of midfield without Kerr and as I have said all season think we need an addition in this area of the field as no real clear cut chances created in last two games from open play. The goalscoring form of front players a real concern and contrast that with mobility and finishing of Macclesfield's front two who always looked dangerous.

Dont really want to single out players but Cook & Colbeck had poor games with Colbeck unable to beat his full back or make use of the open space he was often afforded particularly in the second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 72
The Yard Dog
December 28, 2013, 9:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,501
Gold Stars: 74
Really missed Kerr today, their was no link-up from the back to the front players, which allowed their skipper to control the game, like Kerr does for Town. Once we got to 2-2 we allowed them back into the game, rather pushing for the third.  Poor decision by the ref, where I was it looked like a foul on Thomas and at the end we should have had a penalty (if Thomas was a foul, that was no different).  No sure how long Kerr is going to be out for,but we need him back ASAP.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 72
TownSNAFU5
December 28, 2013, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
I did not go to Lincoln but from the reports it looked today the team were still recovering mentally and physically. We badly missed Kerr today.  No adequate replacement in the squad for his specific role.

Macclesfield were full of energy and purpose.  A yard quicker to the ball.  They closed down ever Town player in the first half. We showed character getting back to 2-2.  However, they then looked more likely to get the winner than we did.   They came back stronger and kept possession very well, frustrating us.  

We were undone by 2 very well taken goals. (Although the free-kick for the winner was wrong). The squad is not as strong as it looks as the new players did not do themselves justice.

Combining all the above factors has produced just 1 defeat in 15.  We nearly got a point as well, even if not deserved.  Their searching long-ball in the 46th minute nearly made it 3-0 and game over.

Bring on Lincoln to make amends.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 72
marinette
December 28, 2013, 10:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from grimsby pete

Welcome back Marinette we have missed your input.

Thanks Pete - it was easy to go wandering off when things were going so swimmingly well for Town.

Weird how the merest hint of trouble at t' mill has brought me scuttling back, looking for reassurance and wanting to compare notes.    

Not that I think Town are in any serious trouble.  I think we've got a good team, especially if we manage to keep it fairly settled and get back into the groove of winning again.  That's probably our next big test.  

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 72
psgmariner
December 28, 2013, 10:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Macclesfield were worthy winners and impressed me.

We missed Kerr and John-Lewis as we were over run in midfield and Hannah and Cook were both ineffectual.

The pluses are that we made a game of it after looking dead and buried at half time, Southwell provided a rare bright spark in his cameo up front and Mckeown finally saved a penalty. Crowd was ok as well.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.