Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 196 Guests

Just Back...

This thread currently has 9,482 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
MarinersOnTheUp
December 28, 2013, 5:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
In the car at least! (Typing on phone so may be a few spelling mistakes ect so apologies if there are.)

Quite frustrating to watch really, reminded me a lot of a York game a few seasons ago where we were 2-0 down, got back to 2-2 and then lost 3-2. (FAT Quarter final?). Seemed to start slowly and let them get on top of us. Did well later on to get back to 2-2 and had a good 10/15 minutes and disappointed to go on and concede again.

Very out of character performance from this town team i'm honest, could have honestly compared it to a game under wood in our first season in this hell hole. We missed Big Mac and could have done with the shop and neilson on from the start.

Maybe i'm being a bit harsh purely out of being disappointed but oh well, can't win them all. Looking forward to the derby and another win!
Come on you mariners. Wonder if we'll get the usual 'Now what?' thread with some idiot questioning the managers position that we usually get when an unbeaten run comes to an end?

UTM

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Chrisblor
December 28, 2013, 5:18pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
Disgusting decision from the referee to award the free kick they scored from. Thomas was being fouled if anything.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 72
MarinersOnTheUp
December 28, 2013, 5:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Quoted from Chrisblor
Disgusting decision from the referee to award the free kick they scored from. Thomas was being fouled if anything.

The sooner we get out of this league the better although the referees aren't too much better in the league if I remember rightly.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 72
BIGChris
December 28, 2013, 5:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Didn't deserve anything on the balance of play.
Looked very lethargic first half and got punished. Got back into it and then after the equaliser petered out.

Maybe the changes were necessary but Cook or Colbeck didn't do there chances of a recall much good.

Best player on the pitch was Dan Whitaker by a mile.

Many had a feeling this was a game too far and were proved right. Total rest between now and Wed when I would be surprised to see more than 300 imps after today's hammering
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 72
Hagrid
December 28, 2013, 5:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Looked tired today but not going to moan as a run has to come to an end and fair play to the lads for getting it back to 2~2. Good free kick from their lad but never a free kick in the first place. Onwards and upwards and start a new run against the gimps. Mention to their captain nunber 23 i think, he was excellent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 72
grimsby pete
December 28, 2013, 5:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Two games in two days is hard enough,

BUT

When you have been kicked all over the place in the first game,

We can forgive the players for not being at their best.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 72
December 28, 2013, 5:30pm
Guest User
It is disappointing but our unbeaten run had to come to an end at some time. Now we need a reaction against Lincoln to see us get back on track. If we can put together another 15 match unbeaten run then it will put us in a good chance of getting a play-off spot.
Reply: 6 - 72
dapperz fun pub
December 28, 2013, 5:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Gutted but not suprised the gimps will suffer because of this result
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 72
ginnywings
December 28, 2013, 5:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
We don't score enough from open play and the strikers don't score enough generally. Too reliant on set plays for my liking.

Hannah, LJL and Cook have 12 goals between them and Hearn is still second top scorer with 5, despite hardly kicking a ball. Hannah has a few pens as well.

We need more firepower and another defender in Jan.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 72
springstomind
December 28, 2013, 5:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
We were poor first half with some bad defending for the goals, but after 2-2 I thought we looked like pushing on, but as all have said my thoughts all the way through the game 23 Whitaker run the show and looked a different class, he was everywhere... I think in another day we would beat them butMacclesfield worked wxtremely hard when we had the ball and in the end probably just about deserved the win... Let's push in from here, in hurst we trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 72
Abdul19
December 28, 2013, 5:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from ginnywings
We don't score enough from open play and the strikers don't score enough generally. Too reliant on set plays for my liking.

Hannah, LJL and Cook have 12 goals between them and Hearn is still second top scorer with 5, despite hardly kicking a ball. Hannah has a few pens as well.

We need more firepower and another defender in Jan.

Yeah,  when we were 3-2 down I looked at the LJL-Southwell combo and just thought 'nah'!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 72
Alfie
December 28, 2013, 5:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Fair play to Macclesfield. Better team on the day. Considering their budget is smaller than Lincoln's, you've got to give them credit for knocking it about and trying to attack. Said just before the free-kick that they'd be gutted if they didn't win it. Whitaker could be one to look at in the summer - looked a class above.

Cook, Colbeck and Paddy did little to earn their place in the side. Cook looked a shadow of his former self and i'm bemused as to why Colbeck seemed so tired...?!

That said, not sure anyone came out with much credit really. Would've been a very cheeky point had we got it.

Important to empathise that, with results elsewhere, it's not the end of the world and only one defeat. A good rest and back on with it on NYD.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 72
Garth
December 28, 2013, 5:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Thought a draw would have been a fair result being as we fought back from a two goal deficit, can`t say they were lucky just sharper than us on the day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 72
gobby
December 28, 2013, 5:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 7
Weak first half, got better for 20 minutes in the 2nd and fought well to draw level then did not keep the pressure on as they were crumbling and allowed them back into it. Weak Referee.  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 72
oldun
December 28, 2013, 6:13pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I must say I am pleased with the comments on here so far. No one is on the teams back. Shows how far we have come in terms of being behind the teams. I have watched football for long enough to understand that these games and results happen from time to time and we just need to stick together and go again. On the day we were well short but did well to get back level. Thing was to many players had an off day and we really missed Scott Kerr to keep possession in midfield and control things. Agree with all the comments about Macc captain, Whitaker who was excellent in midfield, he picked up all the loose balls and started most of their attacks, having said that we gave him acres of room and nobody picked him up all game. The winning free kick looked a bit of a gift but was well taken and on the day Macc deserved to win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 72
marinette
December 28, 2013, 6:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from grimsby pete
Two games in two days is hard enough,

BUT

When you have been kicked all over the place in the first game,

We can forgive the players for not being at their best.

Thought it was perhaps a bit of a wake-up call for us, as Macclesfield looked fresher, faster and fitter for the majority of the game.  We've been cruising just recently and the results have been coming right for us - the fact that we were losing badly today suddenly seemed to hit home, and our players reacted brilliantly.  It shows real character to stage a comeback like that, even if it didn't last.

Reading Pete's post above made me think again though - probably had a bit of the stuffing knocked out of us at Lincoln, which was only two days ago.  Did Macc play Boxing day as well?  (Their game might not have been as physically and mentally gruelling as ours - don't know - they certainly looked more lively and in control.)

Anyway, perhaps we needed a result like that to keep us on our toes.  Hope it doesn't do our league push too much damage.  McKeown my MOM.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 72
gobby
December 28, 2013, 6:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from marinette

Thought it was perhaps a bit of a wake-up call for us, as Macclesfield looked fresher, faster and fitter for the majority of the game.  We've been cruising just recently and the results have been coming right for us - the fact that we were losing badly today suddenly seemed to hit home, and our players reacted brilliantly.  It shows real character to stage a comeback like that, even if it didn't last.

Reading Pete's post above made me think again though - probably had a bit of the stuffing knocked out of us at Lincoln, which was only two days ago.  Did Macc play Boxing day as well?  (Their game might not have been as physically and mentally gruelling as ours - don't know - they certainly looked more lively and in control.)

Anyway, perhaps we needed a result like that to keep us on our toes.  Hope it doesn't do our league push too much damage.  McKeown my MOM.

And its nice to see you back posting young lady.
UTMM

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 72
marinette
December 28, 2013, 6:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gobby

And its nice to see you back posting young lady.
UTMM

Thanks gobby.  

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 72
cmackenzie4
December 28, 2013, 6:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
That Kissock is a decent player too.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 72
GrimRob
December 28, 2013, 6:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
We gifted them the first goal and did well to come back and looked the likely winner especially after then pen save. Stunning winner, he'll  be telling his grandchildren about that (I won't mine though). Need 3 points against Lincoln.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 72
mariner91
December 28, 2013, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,252
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from marinette

Yeah they played Hyde who are dogshite and not rough as fook like Lincoln. I do think Lincoln knocking the stuffing out us affected us today.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 72
mariner91
December 28, 2013, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Oh and Cook shouldn't start again for a while. He just doesn't look like a footballer, I know he scored some goals last year but he offered nothing today other than a few flick ons. He can control it better with his head than his feet!

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 72
GrimRob
December 28, 2013, 6:41pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from cmackenzie4
That Kissock is a decent player too.

he's not known as the non-league Messi for nothing

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 72
Marinerz93
December 28, 2013, 7:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I was hoping that we at least got a point from this game but on the balance of play, Macc deserved their win.  On another note it was glorious to see the Gimps smashed 5-1 by the Shaymen.  Alfreton are on a great run and 8,500 saw Luton smash Kidderminster 6-0.

I hope the lads see the Gimps result and try and go for a cricket score, could we see more than 5 against the Gimps at BP?

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 72
Abdul19
December 28, 2013, 7:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from GrimRob

he's not known as the non-league Messi for nothing

Not often Messi's on the bench!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 72
mariner91
December 28, 2013, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93
I was hoping that we at least got a point from this game but on the balance of play, Macc deserved their win.  On another note it was glorious to see the Gimps smashed 5-1 by the Shaymen.  Alfreton are on a great run and 8,500 saw Luton smash Kidderminster 6-0.

I hope the lads see the Gimps result and try and go for a cricket score, could we see more than 5 against the Gimps at BP?

No, we don't look dangerous enough from open play.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 72
moosey_club
December 28, 2013, 7:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
They looked fresher, had the numbers in midfield to free up Whitaker to dictate the play, at 33 he has all the experience and as a Man Utd product has the basic elements of control and passing.
We massively missed Kerr as Paddy just not upto the job.

Good fight back but when we levelled it we sat off again and i dont think the subsitutions helped if anything we lost momentum.

Just ahve to start another run now.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 72
barralad
December 28, 2013, 7:43pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Cannot add very much to what's been said. I got a feeling of deja vu from last season when we lost Niven for a few games and didn't seem able to replace him. I thought we missed Kerr today in the same way. Pure speculation on my part but I don't think their number 23 would have had the freedom he had today had Kerr been in our side.

Oh and never have I seen substitutions have less positive impact than they did today. Apart from one mazy run I cannot think of much Neilson did to help the cause and Southwell looked way off the pace...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 72
brad_gtfc
December 28, 2013, 7:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
We lost to the better team on the day. Other than a 15 minute spell around our goals we were poor. We looked tired not only physically but mentally, even Pearsons decision making today wasn't up to his best and usually he's a class above everyone.
Missed Kerr in midfield. Disley and Paddy just didn't get the right balance in there hence Whittaker having so much time and space, he looked a cut above everybody on that pitch.
Would definitely agree with whats being said about needing more firepower. Cook was absolutely abysmal today.

All in all, it's not the end of the world and that 'free-kick' was deserving of winning any game, we lost to a better side on the day, just important how we bounce back against Lincoln.
Also can't believe fans who boo the team, really annoys me, pathetic people.

UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 72
cmackenzie4
December 28, 2013, 8:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Just can't get my head round why any Town fan would boo us.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 72
Mariner21
December 28, 2013, 8:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
Has anyone ever seen fenty boo our team?

Tan on the other hand...god the media hate the man! He doesn't do himself any favours mind. Sums up what is wrong with the game these days
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 72
hook line and sinker
December 28, 2013, 8:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
it was a shame that we got back into it from 2 down,saved a peno and then let in the free kick in.The lad taking it on the right side of the box with his left peg was only putting it one place.was a soft goal to concede that at his near post.other than that macca has been nothing short of unbelievable for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 72
DocTower
December 28, 2013, 8:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
I knew this was going to be one of those games . Battered to hell on boxing day , and a changed line up . It proves how think or squad really is , although we have , on paper a moderate 4 or 5 reserves , they don't always step up to first team expectations .
Even after we got back to two all , they always seemed to be the team in the ascendancy . Their 23 , well , he ran that midfield , so much time and space time after time .
Bogey side , better side , roll on Lincoln ,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 72
RichMariner
December 28, 2013, 9:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I wonder if you've got the time to read the thoughts of someone who wasn't actually at the game today...

But I was at Lincoln on Boxing Day and that was an energy-sapping game if ever I saw one. It was a pretty bruising encounter and I said to my other half immediately after the game I'd be surprised if we won our home game v Macc.

So when I checked the score at half time and saw us 2-0 down, I couldn't say I was surprised.

But what pleased me was that we fought back to make it 2-2. Ok, so we lost it at the end, and on the balance of play it sounded like Macc just about deserved it, but I really didn't see that fightback coming after that battle at Sincil Bank just a couple of days before.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 33 - 72
grimsby pete
December 28, 2013, 9:01pm

Exile
Quoted from marinette

Welcome back Marinette we have missed your input.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 72
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 28, 2013, 9:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Agree with most posts that the better team won today but, although a great free kick to win the game it should not have been awarded, as Thomas clearly played the ball.

Also agree with concerns about balance of midfield without Kerr and as I have said all season think we need an addition in this area of the field as no real clear cut chances created in last two games from open play. The goalscoring form of front players a real concern and contrast that with mobility and finishing of Macclesfield's front two who always looked dangerous.

Dont really want to single out players but Cook & Colbeck had poor games with Colbeck unable to beat his full back or make use of the open space he was often afforded particularly in the second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 72
The Yard Dog
December 28, 2013, 9:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Really missed Kerr today, their was no link-up from the back to the front players, which allowed their skipper to control the game, like Kerr does for Town. Once we got to 2-2 we allowed them back into the game, rather pushing for the third.  Poor decision by the ref, where I was it looked like a foul on Thomas and at the end we should have had a penalty (if Thomas was a foul, that was no different).  No sure how long Kerr is going to be out for,but we need him back ASAP.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 72
TownSNAFU5
December 28, 2013, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
I did not go to Lincoln but from the reports it looked today the team were still recovering mentally and physically. We badly missed Kerr today.  No adequate replacement in the squad for his specific role.

Macclesfield were full of energy and purpose.  A yard quicker to the ball.  They closed down ever Town player in the first half. We showed character getting back to 2-2.  However, they then looked more likely to get the winner than we did.   They came back stronger and kept possession very well, frustrating us.  

We were undone by 2 very well taken goals. (Although the free-kick for the winner was wrong). The squad is not as strong as it looks as the new players did not do themselves justice.

Combining all the above factors has produced just 1 defeat in 15.  We nearly got a point as well, even if not deserved.  Their searching long-ball in the 46th minute nearly made it 3-0 and game over.

Bring on Lincoln to make amends.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 72
marinette
December 28, 2013, 10:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Welcome back Marinette we have missed your input.

Thanks Pete - it was easy to go wandering off when things were going so swimmingly well for Town.

Weird how the merest hint of trouble at t' mill has brought me scuttling back, looking for reassurance and wanting to compare notes.    

Not that I think Town are in any serious trouble.  I think we've got a good team, especially if we manage to keep it fairly settled and get back into the groove of winning again.  That's probably our next big test.  

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 72
psgmariner
December 28, 2013, 10:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Macclesfield were worthy winners and impressed me.

We missed Kerr and John-Lewis as we were over run in midfield and Hannah and Cook were both ineffectual.

The pluses are that we made a game of it after looking dead and buried at half time, Southwell provided a rare bright spark in his cameo up front and Mckeown finally saved a penalty. Crowd was ok as well.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 72
chicaneuk
December 28, 2013, 11:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from oldun
I must say I am pleased with the comments on here so far. No one is on the teams back. Shows how far we have come in terms of being behind the teams. I have watched football for long enough to understand that these games and results happen from time to time and we just need to stick together and go again. On the day we were well short but did well to get back level. Thing was to many players had an off day and we really missed Scott Kerr to keep possession in midfield and control things. Agree with all the comments about Macc captain, Whitaker who was excellent in midfield, he picked up all the loose balls and started most of their attacks, having said that we gave him acres of room and nobody picked him up all game. The winning free kick looked a bit of a gift but was well taken and on the day Macc deserved to win.

Me and a friend were listening to the commentary on Mariners Player this evening and we said that we thought it'd be pretty harsh for the fans who turned out, to boo the team off after the loss - especially after such a long unbeaten run, and getting those two goals back so quickly into the second half. Glad to see that general level of respect for the lads runs on here on the forum too.

Guess they just had one too many mince pies over christmas

Onwards and upwards - lets give Lincoln a beating at home and get our good vibe back!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 72
oldun
December 29, 2013, 12:50am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
In the main stand the boos were for the ref, for the free kick decision which led to their winner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 72
Stranger in the Park
December 29, 2013, 1:34am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
I just hope this does not turn into the classic mid season slump that seems to happen to Town virtually every year. With the transfer window openning  it is so easy to try a quick fix but end up with an unsettled team. I do think there is room for improvement or at least decent backup for the key rolls in defence. .Another frontman would not go amiss as poor old LJL has run himself into the ground for half a season and noticeably at Lincoln he was a shadow of his previous busy self. Cook and Southwell I feel should be put out on loan to get them match fit as they offer very little when they do come on.Hannahs workrate cannot be faulted but he cannot do all the biz himself either.

Even though we have a good record over Lincoln I would expect that they will still come and try to rough us up on our own turf and todays result will spur them on...a Town win is by no means a certainty so I hope a rest until matchday is in order.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 72
GorgeousGeorge
December 29, 2013, 1:45am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +30
We had to lose sometime, as will luton, as will cambridge.  Let's move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 72
gobby
December 29, 2013, 8:12am

Whiskey Drinker
As other posters have said the booing we heard was for the Ref not the team.
UTMM

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 72
Madeleymariner
December 29, 2013, 9:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Seems to me that Macc sat back on their 2 nil lead and let us get on top but once we equalised they went for it again until they had the lead again, get a feeling the comeback was more down to them than us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 72
prestonmariner
December 29, 2013, 9:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +250
I agree with sentiments that Macc looked a good side, but i think we allowed them the time to look good.
Most times in the game, it was hard to see which team was at home, and which was away.
Kerr's absence didn't allow Disley to play in the free creative role he's been allowed to play recently.
Thought Cook look lazy today, and hasn't done his chances of a recall any good.
Movement off the ball was poor, and the final ball was lazy and indecisive.
I think we need to try find another striker in January, we don't seem to have enough goal threat up front IMO.
This defeat was going to come at some point, and as PH says, it's all about how we react.

UTM

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 72
TownSNAFU5
December 29, 2013, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
With the strikers and combinations that we have, more goals are needed from midfield to help-out.  We have improved slightly here but this does not happen enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 72
BIGChris
December 29, 2013, 11:07am
Season Ticket Holder
This thread started off with the vast majority saying we were just a bit tired following Lincoln, recognising we had lost just once in 15 games but now it seems that we aren't good enough up front, midfield don't score and get dominated and the defence is poor and macca should have saved the 3rd goal by anticipating it was going in the top corner!

Maybe the previous 14 games were lucky and we won against the run of play
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 72
highcliff mariner
December 29, 2013, 11:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from BIGChris
This thread started off with the vast majority saying we were just a bit tired following Lincoln, recognising we had lost just once in 15 games but now it seems that we aren't good enough up front, midfield don't score and get dominated and the defence is poor and macca should have saved the 3rd goal by anticipating it was going in the top corner!

were going downhill fast , i expect to be on the recieving end of a good spanking NYD .....after the game hopefully

UTM

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 72
Garth
December 29, 2013, 11:56am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from BIGChris

Thats a bit harsh, we all know that the team is better now than last season and they have done a wonderful job so far, however it is a long season and still plenty of matches to play, its all about opinions and others are just as important as yours, the general feeling is that Cookie is not on song and with Hearn missing we need to replace him in January, we are in the play offs lets hope we can put another run together and see where it leads to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 72
rancido
December 29, 2013, 2:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Their No 23 is the kind of mid-fielder we have been looking for for a long time but we gave him too much room. We certainly looked lethargic and took a long time in getting into the game by which time we were 2-0 down. I think we showed spirit in getting back into the game but I feel that Macc were a better side on the day. As has been said Cookie looked lazy and as for Coulbeck he was his usual ineffective self. He only manages 1 decent game in about 7 and this wasn't it! He seems very reluctant to take on his full-back and he has no speed, even their 23 outrun him on several occasions and he is about 33/34 years old FFS. I was surprised when Rodman was replaced by Neilson as I thought a better option would have been to take Coulbeck off , at least Rodman can play on either wing. Their free kick was well struck but I felt that McKeown let himself down. A second or two before the kick was taken MacKeown decided to go to the far post to recheck his wall position and he hadn't quite got back to his original position when the ball was struck leaving him about a pace short of where he should have been. Just a minor point as it wasn't a free kick in the first place but sh*t happens in football.I'm sure with three days off the squad can put this behind them and take it out on Lincoln. Unfortunately it could easily be another clogging performance by them and one wonders what state we will be in to face Huddersfield.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
cleefish
December 29, 2013, 4:12pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
It was a hard game against twelve men IMHO Cook and Coulbeck  need to ship out their to lazy  don't turn up half the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
Hagrid
December 29, 2013, 4:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
just seen the free kick incident, very poor decision by the referee
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 72
BIGChris
December 29, 2013, 4:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from cleefish
It was a hard game against twelve men IMHO Cook and Coulbeck  need to ship out their to lazy  don't turn up half the game.

Colbeck had a very poor game but I'd never say he is lazy. Out of all our wide players he works the hardest
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 72
cmackenzie4
December 29, 2013, 4:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from BIGChris

Colbeck had a very poor game but I'd never say he is lazy. Out of all our wide players he works the hardest

Colbeck is limited as a footballer, but i strongly disagree that he is lazy.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
hook line and sinker
December 29, 2013, 5:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Colbeck is limited as a footballer, but i strongly disagree that he is lazy.

id rather see colbeck in the team every day of the week over rodman, i just dont see what rodman offers us.He doesnt defend for the team n attcking wise he beats his first and second man then trys to impersonate messi n loses the ball straight away 9 times out of 10 resulting in the opposing team catching us on the break.At least with colbeck he defends pretty well and is handy e.g when we clear from a corner n break away on the attack
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 72
Marinerz93
December 29, 2013, 6:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
The team as a whole took a battering at Lincoln, so the players coming in to the team would have that mindset too.  I think it was more like a mental block than anything and to overly critise anyone is harsh.  We know this team will pick itself up and go again and we should get behind the team regardless of who plays and smash Lincoln.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
FishOutOfWater
December 29, 2013, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from marinette

Echo the sentiments of those who've already welcomed you back Marinette

Always enjoy(ed) your input...your posts were frequently a beacon of light in the past dark days

Hopefully we're on the up this season but you can still provide us with some balance with your interesting and informative contributions to the "new" Fishy  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 58 - 72
grimsby pete
December 29, 2013, 6:30pm

Exile
Quoted from BIGChris

You should know the Fishy by now Chris.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
Mariner21
December 29, 2013, 7:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
Yep colbeck is definitely not lazy!

A little thick maybe but he gives his all every time he plays. Sadly he lacks quality which is understandable at this level.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 72
marinette
December 29, 2013, 10:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Echo the sentiments of those who've already welcomed you back Marinette

Always enjoy(ed) your input...your posts were frequently a beacon of light in the past dark days

Hopefully we're on the up this season but you can still provide us with some balance with your interesting and informative contributions to the "new" Fishy  

Thank you - that's very kind.  (Not sure I'll be able to live up to it, though!      )

I'll be honest - it did feel weird on here after the big 'shut-down' and 'reopening'.  I decided to go wandering off in search of some interesting politics (if there is such a thing).  During my travels I encountered some people who swear blind that David Cameron is a Marxist.  Hmmm...in hindsight, perhaps it's not so weird on here after all.     

Private Message
Reply: 61 - 72
chaos33
December 29, 2013, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from cleefish

He's called Colbeck FFS. COlbeck, NOT Coulbeck. He's never been called Coulbeck and never will he be called Coulbeck. It's Joe Colbeck. Christ, he's only been playing for us for 2 years.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 72
Abdul19
December 29, 2013, 11:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from chaos33

He's called Colbeck FFS. COlbeck, NOT Coulbeck. He's never been called Coulbeck and never will he be called Coulbeck. It's Joe Colbeck. Christ, he's only been playing for us for 2 years.

On a similar note, I get annoyed by people calling John-Lewis 'Lewis'.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 72
Tom13
December 29, 2013, 11:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from Abdul19

And people who used to call Bradley Wood 'Woods'!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 72
diehardmariner
December 30, 2013, 4:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Bad day at the office.  Missed key players and we did seem a bit lethargic after the physical battering at Lincoln.

MacDonald, Kerr and LJL are at the spine of the team.  3 changes from that (enforced or not), is always going to have an impact.   Add to that two further parts of the 'spine' picking up knocks two days before -  Pearson taking a whack on his ribs and Disley doing well to not suffer a broken leg.  

We were poor.  The players who came in look like they lack games and sharpness.   Whenever you rest players, this is a risk you take.

We were never going to go unbeaten until the end of the season.  We've gone two-and-a-half months unbeaten, you don't do that with a team that isn't good enough.  Worst thing we can do is make changes for changes sake, panic and bring in another Brodie or Devitt.  

Reaction has to come in the form of another run of wins.  Not bringing in players who might not improve us but also upset the balance of the team.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 72
LongEatonMariner
December 30, 2013, 6:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Quoted from Tom13

And people who used to call Bradley Wood 'Woods'!

Don't get me started on who Macca is!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 72
RoboCod
December 30, 2013, 6:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Why can't we have some of the simple Town names of the past. Like Czuczman.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 72
The Yard Dog
December 30, 2013, 6:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from diehardmariner
[/b]Bad day at the office.  Missed key players and we did seem a bit lethargic after the physical battering at Lincoln.

MacDonald, Kerr and LJL are at the spine of the team.  3 changes from that (enforced or not), is always going to have an impact.   Add to that two further parts of the 'spine' picking up knocks two days before -  Pearson taking a whack on his ribs and Disley doing well to not suffer a broken leg.  

We were poor.  The players who came in look like they lack games and sharpness.   Whenever you rest players, this is a risk you take.

We were never going to go unbeaten until the end of the season.  We've gone two-and-a-half months unbeaten, you don't do that with a team that isn't good enough.  Worst thing we can do is make changes for changes sake, panic and bring in another Brodie or Devitt.  

Reaction has to come in the form of another run of wins.  Not bringing in players who might not improve us but also upset the balance of the team[b]

A very good summary.
The changes were forced by injuries,during a physical encounter at Sincil Bank (cannot play so lets kick the sh_t out off every team). I would have started Neilson rather than bringing on as a sub, he struggled to get into the game on Saturday.

I will open another debate,due to playing on Thursday against Kidderminster, meant we did not have a game on Saturday.  Some of the players went to Newcastle for the weekend, should they have stayed local and gone out to a restaurant together?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 72
grimsby pete
December 30, 2013, 6:44pm

Exile
Quoted from Abdul19

Bobby Cumming played for Town for years and he has been retired for years,

Yet people still call him Cummings,

Its NOT CUMMINGS ITS   CUMMING!!

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 72
FishOutOfWater
December 30, 2013, 7:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete

With you on that one Pete (but my first girlfriend was a Cumming so woe betide me if I'd ever got that wrong lol )

Another one people used to get wrong was Kev Drinkell spelling it Drinkall
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 70 - 72
brad_gtfc
December 30, 2013, 11:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
I cant understand people blaming McKeown for the 3rd, it's a hell of a free kick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 72
Tom13
December 30, 2013, 11:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from grimsby pete

And then when we signed Mickey Cummins, people kept calling him 'Cummings', that used to really annoy me!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 72
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.