8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
December 16, 2012, 2:53pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,715
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

No we don't.. The likes of Dartford and Hyde will only bring 20 something fans regardless of how good the bar looks. What is the point of spending hundreds on a bar when we don't know how much longer we will be in BP?

Now whose the daft stupid twit?

Dartford brought almost 150 this season. That's hardly 20 something is it?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 76
Wrawby_Mariner
December 16, 2012, 2:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

My point was we don't have a sustainable number of fans in the Osmond Stand to make the renovation of the Bar viable ..
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 41 - 76
Les Brechin
December 16, 2012, 2:56pm

Quoted from BIGChris
the away bar has been 'low priority' given the funds and number of active helpers we have available, however the bar does have sky sports and for the numbers who attend (yesterday the away following was less than 30 and only about 20% of those went anywhere near the bar) it has to be cost effective. The bar is an improvement, but, as others have said we are reluctant to spend larger amounts when the return is minimal.

The issue is made worse when the Trust aren't allowed to open the away bar for the bigger followings such as Mansfield and Lincoln which would be greater pay days and make it a more cost effective across the season. This is a police/health and safety decision

The alternative is to go back to the outside 'hatch' serving. Personaly i think the facilities on offer are much better than they were and at least it is inside. My biggest dissapointment is that we arent able to provide the Pontoonites with their own internal bar facility but at least arranging for them to use the Lower Findus facility pre and post match is a help, however small.

The ground is old and as such there is little more the Trust can do to revamp the actual buildings but by cleaning the away bar, installing Sky TV and actually staffing the facility we have improved things.

I didn't realise that Chris. So there are no bar facilities at all in the away end for the larger followings?

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 76
marinerian
December 16, 2012, 3:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Quoted from BIGChris
the away bar has been 'low priority' given the funds and number of active helpers we have available, however the bar does have sky sports and for the numbers who attend (yesterday the away following was less than 30 and only about 20% of those went anywhere near the bar) it has to be cost effective. The bar is an improvement, but, as others have said we are reluctant to spend larger amounts when the return is minimal.

The issue is made worse when the Trust aren't allowed to open the away bar for the bigger followings such as Mansfield and Lincoln which would be greater pay days and make it a more cost effective across the season. This is a police/health and safety decision

The alternative is to go back to the outside 'hatch' serving. Personaly i think the facilities on offer are much better than they were and at least it is inside. My biggest dissapointment is that we arent able to provide the Pontoonites with their own internal bar facility but at least arranging for them to use the Lower Findus facility pre and post match is a help, however small.

The ground is old and as such there is little more the Trust can do to revamp the actual buildings but by cleaning the away bar, installing Sky TV and actually staffing the facility we have improved things.

Spot on BC!

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 76
BIGChris
December 16, 2012, 3:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Quoted from Les Brechin

They did indeed Les and the takings in the away bar for that game were over £250.

Against Braintree we took £26, Macclesfield £38, Forest Green £50 and Gateshead £14. These figures are gross, before costs. Nuneaton saw our biggest payday so far in the away end but the above possibly gives an insight in our reluctance to spend our members cash in significant amounts on this facility as there is so little return
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 76
BIGChris
December 16, 2012, 3:06pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Les Brechin

I didn't realise that Chris. So there are no bar facilities at all in the away end for the larger followings?

We were not permitted to open the bar for Mansfield and have already been told that we cannot open for the Lincoln game.

I dont recall there been drink available inside the ground at Sincil Bank when we visit?
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 76
Les Brechin
December 16, 2012, 3:07pm

Quoted from BIGChris

They did indeed Les and the takings in the away bar for that game were over £250.

Against Braintree we took £26, Macclesfield £38, Forest Green £50 and Gateshead £14. These figures are gross, before costs. Nuneaton saw our biggest payday so far in the away end but the above possibly gives an insight in our reluctance to spend our members cash in significant amounts on this facility as there is so little return

Given those figures though, surely it makes sense to allow the away fans access to the Lower Findus bar at games when there's a very low away following and not open the bar in the away end at all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 76
Les Brechin
December 16, 2012, 3:09pm

Quoted from BIGChris

We were not permitted to open the bar for Mansfield and have already been told that we cannot open for the Lincoln game.

I dont recall there been drink available inside the ground at Sincil Bank when we visit?

I missed the Boxing Day game last year as I was away but the last time I went we were allowed in their social club where I distinctly remember having a particularly nice roast pork roll with my pint.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 76
Abdul19
December 16, 2012, 3:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Les Brechin

Given those figures though, surely it makes sense to allow the away fans access to the Lower Findus bar at games when there's a very low away following and not open the bar in the away end at all.

Yep, or even not bother opening the away end at all.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 76
BIGChris
December 16, 2012, 3:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Les Brechin

I agree 100% but unfortunately we are unable to do so.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The bar in the away end

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.