Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 10:51am
I know the Mariners Trust have taken over running the bars but I reckon the bar in the away end could do with a bit of a revamp as even H&W fans yesterday were mocking it. It doesn't really give visiting fans a decent impression of the club.

This is a post and a picture from their forum.

Quoted Text
Yeah, we were taught a lesson really - utterly bossed out of it. I'm aware though, we've been fairly spoiled by cup performances against higher level sides over the years, this was the proper working over that might usually be expected (given their place in the Premier and ours in the South).

Still, damn good fun despite it all, lots of singing in the last 15 regardless, friendly people all around, but my highlight was the bar in the away end. The shutters were still down at 2:15 and we had to ask for it to be opened, and once we made it inside, it appeared we were the first away fans to request this since Ted Heath was PM.

[img]http://p6.hostingprod.com/@vanityprojectfanzine.com/football/70sbar3.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Super Clive, December 16, 2012, 10:59am; Reply: 1
;D

I'm sure its good enough for the 20 or so fans that come every other week.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, December 16, 2012, 11:01am; Reply: 2
That's pretty embarrassing to be fair !
Posted by: Meza, December 16, 2012, 11:01am; Reply: 3
That is appalling we really do need a new stadium it might have been acceptable in the 70-80's but there hasn't been any work done to it well not that I can think of anyway.  It reminds me of a Sunday league changing room.
Posted by: aaron rattray, December 16, 2012, 11:06am; Reply: 4
Looks like a kitchen
Posted by: AdamHaddock, December 16, 2012, 11:06am; Reply: 5
That's pretty shocking. Looks like the lounge from a derilict care home.
Posted by: Meza, December 16, 2012, 11:13am; Reply: 6
So how much do you spend, a few grand atleast to make a little more comfortable for away fans?
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 11:16am; Reply: 7
I'm assuming that this is the only bar in the away end and there's not another main one.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, December 16, 2012, 11:19am; Reply: 8
The priority was the home bars and we haven't exactly had the time to get started on this. The thing is, how much do you spend on a bar that gets 20 odd people there once every other week ? .. Are we not meant to make the environment as uncomfortable as possible for the away side ??
Posted by: Youngy, December 16, 2012, 11:26am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
The priority was the home bars and we haven't exactly had the time to get started on this. The thing is, how much do you spend on a bar that gets 20 odd people there once every other week ? .. Are we not meant to make the environment as uncomfortable as possible for the away side ??

Exactly. There is no point spending time or funds for away support facilities when the majority of the time you'll be making a loss.

Most non league grounds don't even have away bars for this very reason
Posted by: Super Clive, December 16, 2012, 11:29am; Reply: 10
It's not a patch on Yorks away facilities. Money is better spent on some perspex for pontoon corner leftside
Posted by: Youngy, December 16, 2012, 11:30am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Super Clive
It's not a patch on Yorks away facilities. Money is better spent on some perspex for pontoon corner leftside

And outdoor heaters for the Pontoon kiosk bar.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, December 16, 2012, 11:34am; Reply: 12
close that bar and let them in the one with entrance at the car park
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 11:36am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Youngy

Exactly. There is no point spending time or funds for away support facilities when the majority of the time you'll be making a loss.

Most non league grounds don't even have away bars for this very reason

Most non-league grounds actually have very good facilities for both home AND away fans and to be honest I can't see why we can't allow away fans into the Lower Findus bar before the game. Almost every other club in this league has bar facilities that are available to all fans.
Posted by: rancido, December 16, 2012, 11:43am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Les Brechin

Most non-league grounds actually have very good facilities for both home AND away fans and to be honest I can't see why we can't allow away fans into the Lower Findus bar before the game. Almost every other club in this league has bar facilities that are available to all fans.

Very good points Les. We are relatively new to the non-league scene and approach away supporters like we used to with total segregation. The non-league scene seems to be more friendly as regards away supporters with less of the trouble associated with the tribal support off a lot of league clubs.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 11:49am; Reply: 15
Quoted from rancido

Very good points Les. We are relatively new to the non-league scene and approach away supporters like we used to with total segregation. The non-league scene seems to be more friendly as regards away supporters with less of the trouble associated with the tribal support off a lot of league clubs.

I agree. We've had 2 season to get used to it but hopefully next season we can go back to the "league total segregation" mentality but it is a bit embarrassing for the club if even fans of Havant & Waterlooville are taking the urine.
Posted by: chaos33, December 16, 2012, 12:01pm; Reply: 16
Be honest, it's hardly much worse that the main stand bar. Can't see why we would expect the facilties at BP to be much better than they are, or why we should spend any money at all until we know more about the future of the stadium. If money is tight, we're lkely to be moving and the average number of away fans is 30, the Osmond bar is way down the list of priorities for me, and rightly so.
Posted by: Alfie, December 16, 2012, 12:20pm; Reply: 17
Leave it be until we're playing proper football towns again.
Couldn't give a monkeys what Havant and Waterlooville think nor do I even know where it is.  

This whole "having a lovely day out with the away fans" is nearly as gay as clapping the visiting numbers on the attendance.
Posted by: rancido, December 16, 2012, 12:22pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Alfie
Couldn't give a monkeys what Havant and Waterlooville think nor do I even know where it is.  

This whole "having a lovely day out with the away fans" is nearly as gay as clapping the visiting numbers on the attendance.

FFS
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), December 16, 2012, 12:54pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from rancido

FFS

totally agree looking at that picture I'd say that where spoiling them, I hope that radiator was turned off.
Posted by: bradzmilne, December 16, 2012, 12:54pm; Reply: 20
I would be very disappointed if the trust started to spend money on away fans rather than the group of supporters there ment to be a voice for.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 1:05pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Alfie

For me though, supporting Town is more about just travelling X amount of hours to watch 90 minutes of football. To me it just as much about the day out, having a few pre-match pints with fellow Town fans and also the home fans. If I'd have been travelling since 6am and found those facilities available I think I'd have been pretty disappointed.

The only good thing about this league is the friendliness of the majority of clubs down here and when (hopefully this season) we get out of this league that's the one thing I will miss. If that makes me gay then guilty as charged Your Honour.
Posted by: Alfie, December 16, 2012, 1:16pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Les Brechin

For me though, supporting Town is more about just travelling X amount of hours to watch 90 minutes of football. To me it just as much about the day out, having a few pre-match pints with fellow Town fans and also the home fans. If I'd have been travelling since 6am and found those facilities available I think I'd have been pretty disappointed.

The only good thing about this league is the friendliness of the majority of clubs down here and when (hopefully this season) we get out of this league that's the one thing I will miss. If that makes me gay then guilty as charged Your Honour.

Part of me can appreciate that fully but do you not miss turning up to proper footballing towns and actually realising that you're in a place where a football match is the most important thing that afternoon? I go to an away game now, get off the train and it's just another leafy, middle class, market town that's never seen a proper game of football in its life? I bet half the people I passed on the way to the station in places like Telford or Buxton didn't even know there was a match on.

I can full appreciate wanting a few bevvies before the game but I just miss the days when it used to be acceptable to tell "proper" football clubs' fans to sit down and shut up... rather than clapping their pathetic, amateur turn outs and wishing them a lovely afternoon. The bars a bit of a disgrace but when these teams are bringing the numbers that they bring, i'd tell them to bring a hipflask rather than wasting our money paying someone to open it.

For the record, i'm not having a go at fans getting along. It's just the 'friendliness' and 'niceities' of this league that make me despise it even more.

Ah well, one more year...
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 1:21pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Alfie

Part of me can appreciate that fully but do you not miss turning up to proper footballing towns and actually realising that you're in a place where a football match is the most important thing that afternoon? I go to an away game now, get off the train and it's just another leafy, middle class, market town that's never seen a proper game of football in its life? I bet half the people I passed on the way to the station in places like Telford or Buxton didn't even know there was a match on.

I can full appreciate wanting a few bevvies before the game but I just miss the days when it used to be acceptable to tell "proper" football clubs' fans to sit down and shut up... rather than clapping their pathetic, amateur turn outs and wishing them a lovely afternoon. The bars a bit of a disgrace but when these teams are bringing the numbers that they bring, i'd tell them to bring a hipflask rather than wasting our money paying someone to open it.

For the record, i'm not having a go at fans getting along. It's just the 'friendliness' and 'niceities' of this league that make me despise it even more.

Ah well, one more year...

On the flip side though you'll probably find most people in places like Accrington, Dagenham, Burton and Morecambe who have no idea there's a game on too.

And it's...Ah well, 5 more months.  ;)

Posted by: moosey_club, December 16, 2012, 1:52pm; Reply: 24
Was in there for the game the other week when Town gave the corner section of the Osmond to home fans. Never knew it existed until then.
Thought it was quite.... "quaint" and to be honest i would rather be in there than stood up outside at the "bar" at the back of the pontoon.
IMO the away fans have better facilities than the Pontoon when it comes to having a pint.
Posted by: aaron rattray, December 16, 2012, 2:00pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from bradzmilne
I would be very disappointed if the trust started to spend money on away fans rather than the group of supporters there ment to be a voice for.

We got to try and make it a good place to visit and then they might come back and spend some money which helps us you daft ****
Posted by: mariner83, December 16, 2012, 2:07pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from aaron rattray

We got to try and make it a good place to visit and then they might come back and spend some money which helps us you daft ****t

I don't want them to come back, it would mean we're in this league again.
Posted by: Simariner, December 16, 2012, 2:21pm; Reply: 27
This looks like the small bar in the main stand....?
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, December 16, 2012, 2:25pm; Reply: 28

We got to try and make it a good place to visit and then they might come back and spend some money which helps us you daft ****

No we don't.. The likes of Dartford and Hyde will only bring 20 something fans regardless of how good the bar looks. What is the point of spending hundreds on a bar when we don't know how much longer we will be in BP?

Now whose the daft stupid twit?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, December 16, 2012, 2:32pm; Reply: 29
Well even if the new stadium plans are revived, we're going to be at BP for at least 3-4 more years so there's no reason why we can't spend just a couple of grand on a light refurb and some new furniture.
Posted by: aaron rattray, December 16, 2012, 2:35pm; Reply: 30

No we don't.. The likes of Dartford and Hyde will only bring 20 something fans regardless of how good the bar looks. What is the point of spending hundreds on a bar when we don't know how much longer we will be in BP?

But when somebody has a big following and if they think the bar is shite they wont go in it again to spend money next season aswell
Posted by: mariner83, December 16, 2012, 2:36pm; Reply: 31

But when somebody has a big following and if they think the bar is shite they wont go in it again to spend money next season aswell

for 2 maybe 3 teams that I can think of that? Not all of them will be spending money in the bar anyway.
Posted by: aaron rattray, December 16, 2012, 2:37pm; Reply: 32

And dartford bought over 100 here now who is the stupid twit?
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, December 16, 2012, 2:43pm; Reply: 33

And dartford bought over 100 here now who is the stupid twit?

Not the issue though it.. Fans don't come to the game for a beer they come to watch their team play. Do you see away players tweeting about the state of the changing room? NO..

BP has to look as intimidating as possible for the away lot imo.

The Away bar facilities have been brought up in Trust meetings various times before, there was a fair bit to do over the summer as it was as our own fans took priority.
Posted by: marinerian, December 16, 2012, 2:44pm; Reply: 34
It makes no sense spending money on the away bars. They are not open long enough and would not bring in the revenue to justify it unfortunately.

There are pubs away fans can go in,

I have been in the away bar in the corner of the Osmond, It was ok, ffs all I wanted was a beer, I as a fan and drinker do not need 5* facilities to drink a glass of beer in a football ground. Also look at other clubs higher up, they have poxy kiosks.

Yes it is old and has not been used o kept in a good condition for a long time, so small steps and looking for affordable and sensible ways to improve it has to be the answer imo.
Posted by: aaron rattray, December 16, 2012, 2:45pm; Reply: 35

Not the issue though it.. Fans don't come to the game for a beer they come to watch their team play. Do you see away players tweeting about the state of the changing room? NO..

BP has to look as intimidating as possible for the away lot imo.

The Away bar facilities have been brought up in Trust meetings various times before, there was a fair bit to do over the summer as it was as our own fans took priority.

Provides some income
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, December 16, 2012, 2:48pm; Reply: 36

Provides some income

OK...

Utility costs
staffing costs
revovation costs

in exchange for the small income at the away bar isn't viable in my opinion.

If we were to improve our away bar facilities, I should be done when we are getting higher away followings to BP on a regular basis.
Posted by: supertown, December 16, 2012, 2:49pm; Reply: 37
can you hire that room for a do ;)
Posted by: BIGChris, December 16, 2012, 2:51pm; Reply: 38
the away bar has been 'low priority' given the funds and number of active helpers we have available, however the bar does have sky sports and for the numbers who attend (yesterday the away following was less than 30 and only about 20% of those went anywhere near the bar) it has to be cost effective. The bar is an improvement, but, as others have said we are reluctant to spend larger amounts when the return is minimal.

The issue is made worse when the Trust aren't allowed to open the away bar for the bigger followings such as Mansfield and Lincoln which would be greater pay days and make it a more cost effective across the season. This is a police/health and safety decision

The alternative is to go back to the outside 'hatch' serving. Personaly i think the facilities on offer are much better than they were and at least it is inside. My biggest dissapointment is that we arent able to provide the Pontoonites with their own internal bar facility but at least arranging for them to use the Lower Findus facility pre and post match is a help, however small.

The ground is old and as such there is little more the Trust can do to revamp the actual buildings but by cleaning the away bar, installing Sky TV and actually staffing the facility we have improved things.
Posted by: Youngy, December 16, 2012, 2:51pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from marinerian
It makes no sense spending money on the away bars. They are not open long enough and would not bring in the revenue to justify it unfortunately.

There are pubs away fans can go in,

I have been in the away bar in the corner of the Osmond, It was ok, ffs all I wanted was a beer, I as a fan and drinker do not need 5* facilities to drink a glass of beer in a football ground. Also look at other clubs higher up, they have poxy kiosks.

Yes it is old and has not been used o kept in a good condition for a long time, so small steps and looking for affordable and sensible ways to improve it has to be the answer imo.

Exactly, most Premier League grounds don't even offer a bar for away supporters. It's usually bottled beer at a kiosk and nothing more.

The bars at BP have greatly improved since the Trust came in, they've prioritised the facilities to our support and rightly so. Maybe when we go back to getting average away followings of over 100 then we can look into modernising the away bar but it's a complete waste of money whilst where in the BSP
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 2:53pm; Reply: 40

Dartford brought almost 150 this season. That's hardly 20 something is it?
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, December 16, 2012, 2:55pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Les Brechin

My point was we don't have a sustainable number of fans in the Osmond Stand to make the renovation of the Bar viable ..
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 2:56pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from BIGChris
the away bar has been 'low priority' given the funds and number of active helpers we have available, however the bar does have sky sports and for the numbers who attend (yesterday the away following was less than 30 and only about 20% of those went anywhere near the bar) it has to be cost effective. The bar is an improvement, but, as others have said we are reluctant to spend larger amounts when the return is minimal.

The issue is made worse when the Trust aren't allowed to open the away bar for the bigger followings such as Mansfield and Lincoln which would be greater pay days and make it a more cost effective across the season. This is a police/health and safety decision

The alternative is to go back to the outside 'hatch' serving. Personaly i think the facilities on offer are much better than they were and at least it is inside. My biggest dissapointment is that we arent able to provide the Pontoonites with their own internal bar facility but at least arranging for them to use the Lower Findus facility pre and post match is a help, however small.

The ground is old and as such there is little more the Trust can do to revamp the actual buildings but by cleaning the away bar, installing Sky TV and actually staffing the facility we have improved things.

I didn't realise that Chris. So there are no bar facilities at all in the away end for the larger followings?

Posted by: marinerian, December 16, 2012, 3:03pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from BIGChris

Spot on BC!
Posted by: BIGChris, December 16, 2012, 3:03pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Les Brechin

They did indeed Les and the takings in the away bar for that game were over £250.

Against Braintree we took £26, Macclesfield £38, Forest Green £50 and Gateshead £14. These figures are gross, before costs. Nuneaton saw our biggest payday so far in the away end but the above possibly gives an insight in our reluctance to spend our members cash in significant amounts on this facility as there is so little return
Posted by: BIGChris, December 16, 2012, 3:06pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Les Brechin

I didn't realise that Chris. So there are no bar facilities at all in the away end for the larger followings?

We were not permitted to open the bar for Mansfield and have already been told that we cannot open for the Lincoln game.

I dont recall there been drink available inside the ground at Sincil Bank when we visit?
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 3:07pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from BIGChris

They did indeed Les and the takings in the away bar for that game were over £250.

Against Braintree we took £26, Macclesfield £38, Forest Green £50 and Gateshead £14. These figures are gross, before costs. Nuneaton saw our biggest payday so far in the away end but the above possibly gives an insight in our reluctance to spend our members cash in significant amounts on this facility as there is so little return

Given those figures though, surely it makes sense to allow the away fans access to the Lower Findus bar at games when there's a very low away following and not open the bar in the away end at all.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 3:09pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from BIGChris

We were not permitted to open the bar for Mansfield and have already been told that we cannot open for the Lincoln game.

I dont recall there been drink available inside the ground at Sincil Bank when we visit?

I missed the Boxing Day game last year as I was away but the last time I went we were allowed in their social club where I distinctly remember having a particularly nice roast pork roll with my pint.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 16, 2012, 3:11pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Les Brechin

Given those figures though, surely it makes sense to allow the away fans access to the Lower Findus bar at games when there's a very low away following and not open the bar in the away end at all.

Yep, or even not bother opening the away end at all.
Posted by: BIGChris, December 16, 2012, 3:12pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Les Brechin

I agree 100% but unfortunately we are unable to do so.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 3:14pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from BIGChris

I agree 100% but unfortunately we are unable to do so.

What's actually stopping us doing that though Chris?

Posted by: bradzmilne, December 16, 2012, 3:16pm; Reply: 51

We got to try and make it a good place to visit and then they might come back and spend some money which helps us you daft stupid twit

'Daft stupid twit'?
Aaron honestly mate i think your a nice enough lad but no need for that.
I'm 99% certain the bar isn't aloud to be open for bigger followings anyway so there is no need to spend 100's of pounds on refurbing a bar that is going to allocate 20 away fans (I'm sure someone from the trust will correct me if i'm wrong) it would be frittering away the trusts already limited funding which could be spent else where for our fans. When you look at refurbing a bar that is going to cost money and for all of that money to be made back - the 20 or so away fans need to be bloody good drinkers.
The trust is the voice of our fans, almost the supporters voice piece to fenty and the only group of people that are realistically do anything for the fans to improve the match day experiance in these tough financial times. I'm pretty sure that our supporters would rather have the money spent on something that would enhance their viewing times rather than the away fans who might spend 1 game at blundell park each season - if that.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 16, 2012, 3:23pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from BIGChris

Police & local licensing authorities.

If we were to have any 'mixed' areas then the police bill makes everything non viable

Fair enough. I wasn't aware of that.

Posted by: shotandcursed, December 16, 2012, 6:43pm; Reply: 53

I dont think aaron is the daft stupid twit.  it is important the impression you give away customers imo.

It doesn't need hundreds spending on it. . . Just throw out the trestle table, put ine of tge old tvs from home bats in.

Word spreads about facilities. . . I have a good understanding of many of the hospitaluty standatds around the country without ever having been there.

You have a photo of the away facilities at bp on the net now. . . Thats all the publucity you need.

Shows a complete lack of business acumen on your part erawbs when you are shown up by a gcse student!
Posted by: Simariner, December 16, 2012, 6:59pm; Reply: 54
I'm still sure its the small bar (one of three) under the main stand.
Posted by: voice of reason, December 16, 2012, 7:02pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Les Brechin

You seem obsessed with this mingling with away fans scenario... Next you'll be asking that we congratulate the away team when they score a goal or take the points from us, maybe we should bring an extra flask to share with them??? ya know, make it really cosy for them...

The ground has got to be a bit intimidating and hostile... I mean, I'm all for a bit of friendly banter before and after the match but I certainly don't want to be sharing the lower with away fans, no matter how many...
Posted by: BIGChris, December 16, 2012, 7:10pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Simariner
I'm still sure its the small bar (one of three) under the main stand.

No Si. Those 3 bars remain in one shape or form. The Players Lounge (nearest the Pontoon) has redecorated, large TV's etc and many have commented that it is much more welcoming. The middle bar is run by the School of Excellence familys as an HQ (no alcohol in here) then there is the family lounge towards the Osmond end.

The away bar is in the corner between the Osmond and Main stands. I remember it as the 'gym' from the mid 1970's. No natural light, a bit of a dungeon
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 16, 2012, 7:14pm; Reply: 57
The Players Lounge is very good now BC and you get a good crowd in there most games the Trust have done a very good job regarding that.Well done.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 16, 2012, 7:32pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from voice of reason

You seem obsessed with this mingling with away fans scenario... Next you'll be asking that we congratulate the away team when they score a goal or take the points from us, maybe we should bring an extra flask to share with them??? ya know, make it really cosy for them...

The ground has got to be a bit intimidating and hostile... I mean, I'm all for a bit of friendly banter before and after the match but I certainly don't want to be sharing the lower with away fans, no matter how many...

With you on this.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 16, 2012, 7:37pm; Reply: 59

The Imp has been letting home/away fans mix this Season with no real problems but what happens when a team bring good numbers where will they go for a pt and more importantly how will the locals react?
Posted by: topuphere666, December 16, 2012, 7:37pm; Reply: 60
To be honest whenever I go to an away game I couldn't give a excrement about their bar or food vans! I go for the football! If I want a burger that is only just edible i'll call at Mc'ds on the way
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, December 16, 2012, 7:45pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from shotandcursed

I dont think aaron is the daft stupid twit.  it is important the impression you give away customers imo.

It doesn't need hundreds spending on it. . . Just throw out the trestle table, put ine of tge old tvs from home bats in.

Word spreads about facilities. . . I have a good understanding of many of the hospitaluty standatds around the country without ever having been there.

You have a photo of the away facilities at bp on the net now. . . Thats all the publucity you need.

Shows a complete lack of business acumen on your part erawbs when you are shown up by a gcse student!

I think the fact that the away bar is not viable and the fact that the trust has not pursued this yet shows the opposite.

Posted by: Youngy, December 16, 2012, 9:42pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from shotandcursed

So if you ran a pub and knew that the maximum amount of people walking past it averaged under 100 26ish days per year that you would spend time and money to do it up when the likely hood is that you would lose money? I would argue your business acumen is lacking

And if you read the other posts on this thread you would know that there is already a TV with Sky in the bar. It serves beer, it's a place to keep warm and sit down before the game, what more do people want?

The only fault I would say on the Trusts part for the away bar is that they don't publicise it to away fans before games (going on away teams forums etc) and there's no food served in there.
Posted by: wigworld, December 16, 2012, 9:57pm; Reply: 63
When we get back in the league, with better away followings, the trust could assess the situation again.
But for now,  the idea of spending money on doing up a bar that probably has less than 500 visitors a year is ridiculous.
Posted by: BIGChris, December 16, 2012, 10:08pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Youngy

The only fault I would say on the Trusts part for the away bar is that they don't publicise it to away fans before games (going on away teams forums etc) and there's no food served in there.

We do go on away clubs forumns and tell those clubs with active Trusts about the bar.

As for the food, there is no food served in the  Trust run bars because the food contract lies with an alternative supplier.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 16, 2012, 10:13pm; Reply: 65
Lol...you can tell the team are doing ok....the moaners are now spending 5 pages on a bar that isnt even intended for them....only on the fishy.  :P
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, December 16, 2012, 10:41pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from BIGChris

As for the food, there is no food served in the  Trust run bars because the food contract lies with an alternative supplier.

How long til the contract runs out and will the Trust be interested in taking it over?
Posted by: Chris, December 16, 2012, 11:40pm; Reply: 67
3 years I think, and if the chance came up to take it on, Id expect them to take it.

Re the away bar, it was certainly discussed last April/May but to make it really comfortable would have cost thousands. There would be virtually no chance or recouping the costs. Its been mentioned about using it as a function room but the club has three function rooms of its own and the Trust has potentially created another with the lower Findus.

There is no way any criticism can be levelled at the Trust for the work on the bars and the away fans concerns about the decor of a bar they might spend a half hour in are never likely to top the list of concerns IMO.
Posted by: jock dock tower, December 17, 2012, 7:49am; Reply: 68
Looks like luxury to me, what more do folk want?
Posted by: rancido, December 17, 2012, 1:21pm; Reply: 69

Intimidating and hostile to the visiting team but surely not for their supporters. Visiting supporters might be put off visiting our ground because of our " hostile and intimidating " attitude towards them with a resulting drop in revenue. It might not be that significant in the BSP but it could be more damaging in the Football League.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, December 17, 2012, 1:30pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from rancido

Intimidating and hostile to the visiting team but surely not for their supporters. Visiting supporters might be put off visiting our ground because of our " hostile and intimidating " attitude towards them with a resulting drop in revenue. It might not be that significant in the BSP but it could be more damaging in the Football League.

I think VOR is dead right on this one. Fans will come to BP regardless of the state of that bar. The fact is that is doesn't make enough money to open. When we get back into the Football League then it would probably be a different story. It wouldn't be viable to spending money on it yet, not until we know the bigger picture.
Posted by: Chrisblor, December 17, 2012, 1:55pm; Reply: 71
If a dingy bar puts you off going to watch your team in an away match you're not watching football for the right reasons. If a plush seat and fancy catering is what you're after then you should probably go buy a season ticket at the Emirates.
Posted by: voice of reason, December 17, 2012, 2:10pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from rancido

Nope, sorry Rancido I'm back to disagreeing with you.... If we make it intimidating for away fans whilst they're in the ground, within reason of course, then it will filter through to the away team too and maybe have a slight negative impact on their performance, IMO...
Posted by: rancido, December 17, 2012, 4:11pm; Reply: 73

Nope, sorry Rancido I'm back to disagreeing with you.... If we make it intimidating for away fans whilst they're in the ground, within reason of course, then it will filter through to the away team too and maybe have a slight negative impact on their performance, IMO...

I'm glad the status quo has been re-instated  ;)
Posted by: voice of reason, December 17, 2012, 5:39pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from rancido

I'm glad the status quo has been re-instated  ;)

Ha, not the only one... When I first agreed with you I did question whether I had gone completely bonkers or, if indeed, you was actually speaking sense for a change... Amazingly you was actually speaking sense and of course I hadn't gone bonkers...  ;)  :P
Posted by: SlouchyMetal, December 17, 2012, 6:40pm; Reply: 75
who's got a problem with my bar?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 17, 2012, 7:54pm; Reply: 76
Anyone notice what they had at Newport? Trellis (sp) tables selling cans. Did it intimidate anyone? No. Was it just good to be able to get a drink at half time? Yes. It was there as an add on for away fans. I've been to loads of away games with town, both league and non league, and how many times have we been able to get a beer at half time? Plenty. If people don't like it, fu(k em!! If the reason they are going to a game is to have a "plush pint" then they are going for the wrong reasons!
Print page generated: May 21, 2024, 4:50am