8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
bradzmilne
December 16, 2012, 12:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,427
Gold Stars: 30
I would be very disappointed if the trust started to spend money on away fans rather than the group of supporters there ment to be a voice for.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 76
Les Brechin
December 16, 2012, 1:05pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,715
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Alfie
Leave it be until we're playing proper football towns again.
Couldn't give a monkeys what Havant and Waterlooville think nor do I even know where it is.  

This whole "having a lovely day out with the away fans" is nearly as gay as clapping the visiting numbers on the attendance.

For me though, supporting Town is more about just travelling X amount of hours to watch 90 minutes of football. To me it just as much about the day out, having a few pre-match pints with fellow Town fans and also the home fans. If I'd have been travelling since 6am and found those facilities available I think I'd have been pretty disappointed.

The only good thing about this league is the friendliness of the majority of clubs down here and when (hopefully this season) we get out of this league that's the one thing I will miss. If that makes me gay then guilty as charged Your Honour.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 76
Alfie
December 16, 2012, 1:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from Les Brechin

For me though, supporting Town is more about just travelling X amount of hours to watch 90 minutes of football. To me it just as much about the day out, having a few pre-match pints with fellow Town fans and also the home fans. If I'd have been travelling since 6am and found those facilities available I think I'd have been pretty disappointed.

The only good thing about this league is the friendliness of the majority of clubs down here and when (hopefully this season) we get out of this league that's the one thing I will miss. If that makes me gay then guilty as charged Your Honour.

Part of me can appreciate that fully but do you not miss turning up to proper footballing towns and actually realising that you're in a place where a football match is the most important thing that afternoon? I go to an away game now, get off the train and it's just another leafy, middle class, market town that's never seen a proper game of football in its life? I bet half the people I passed on the way to the station in places like Telford or Buxton didn't even know there was a match on.

I can full appreciate wanting a few bevvies before the game but I just miss the days when it used to be acceptable to tell "proper" football clubs' fans to sit down and shut up... rather than clapping their pathetic, amateur turn outs and wishing them a lovely afternoon. The bars a bit of a disgrace but when these teams are bringing the numbers that they bring, i'd tell them to bring a hipflask rather than wasting our money paying someone to open it.

For the record, i'm not having a go at fans getting along. It's just the 'friendliness' and 'niceities' of this league that make me despise it even more.

Ah well, one more year...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 76
Les Brechin
December 16, 2012, 1:21pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,715
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Alfie

Part of me can appreciate that fully but do you not miss turning up to proper footballing towns and actually realising that you're in a place where a football match is the most important thing that afternoon? I go to an away game now, get off the train and it's just another leafy, middle class, market town that's never seen a proper game of football in its life? I bet half the people I passed on the way to the station in places like Telford or Buxton didn't even know there was a match on.

I can full appreciate wanting a few bevvies before the game but I just miss the days when it used to be acceptable to tell "proper" football clubs' fans to sit down and shut up... rather than clapping their pathetic, amateur turn outs and wishing them a lovely afternoon. The bars a bit of a disgrace but when these teams are bringing the numbers that they bring, i'd tell them to bring a hipflask rather than wasting our money paying someone to open it.

For the record, i'm not having a go at fans getting along. It's just the 'friendliness' and 'niceities' of this league that make me despise it even more.

Ah well, one more year...

On the flip side though you'll probably find most people in places like Accrington, Dagenham, Burton and Morecambe who have no idea there's a game on too.

And it's...Ah well, 5 more months.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 76
moosey_club
December 16, 2012, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,269
Gold Stars: 226
Was in there for the game the other week when Town gave the corner section of the Osmond to home fans. Never knew it existed until then.
Thought it was quite.... "quaint" and to be honest i would rather be in there than stood up outside at the "bar" at the back of the pontoon.
IMO the away fans have better facilities than the Pontoon when it comes to having a pint.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 76
aaron rattray
December 16, 2012, 2:00pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Quoted from bradzmilne
I would be very disappointed if the trust started to spend money on away fans rather than the group of supporters there ment to be a voice for.

We got to try and make it a good place to visit and then they might come back and spend some money which helps us you daft ****

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 76
mariner83
December 16, 2012, 2:07pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from aaron rattray

We got to try and make it a good place to visit and then they might come back and spend some money which helps us you daft ****t

I don't want them to come back, it would mean we're in this league again.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 76
Simariner
December 16, 2012, 2:21pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
This looks like the small bar in the main stand....?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 76
Wrawby_Mariner
December 16, 2012, 2:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from aaron rattray

We got to try and make it a good place to visit and then they might come back and spend some money which helps us you daft ****

No we don't.. The likes of Dartford and Hyde will only bring 20 something fans regardless of how good the bar looks. What is the point of spending hundreds on a bar when we don't know how much longer we will be in BP?

Now whose the daft stupid twit?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 28 - 76
AdamHaddock
December 16, 2012, 2:32pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,841
Gold Stars: 26
Well even if the new stadium plans are revived, we're going to be at BP for at least 3-4 more years so there's no reason why we can't spend just a couple of grand on a light refurb and some new furniture.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The bar in the away end

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.