aaron rattray
December 16, 2012, 2:35pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

No we don't.. The likes of Dartford and Hyde will only bring 20 something fans regardless of how good the bar looks. What is the point of spending hundreds on a bar when we don't know how much longer we will be in BP?

Now whose the daft stupid twit?

But when somebody has a big following and if they think the bar is shite they wont go in it again to spend money next season aswell

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 76
mariner83
December 16, 2012, 2:36pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from aaron rattray

But when somebody has a big following and if they think the bar is shite they wont go in it again to spend money next season aswell

for 2 maybe 3 teams that I can think of that? Not all of them will be spending money in the bar anyway.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 31 - 76
aaron rattray
December 16, 2012, 2:37pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker

No we don't.. The likes of Dartford and Hyde will only bring 20 something fans regardless of how good the bar looks. What is the point of spending hundreds on a bar when we don't know how much longer we will be in BP?

Now whose the daft stupid twit?

And dartford bought over 100 here now who is the stupid twit?

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 76
Wrawby_Mariner
December 16, 2012, 2:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6

And dartford bought over 100 here now who is the stupid twit?

Not the issue though it.. Fans don't come to the game for a beer they come to watch their team play. Do you see away players tweeting about the state of the changing room? NO..

BP has to look as intimidating as possible for the away lot imo.

The Away bar facilities have been brought up in Trust meetings various times before, there was a fair bit to do over the summer as it was as our own fans took priority.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 33 - 76
marinerian
December 16, 2012, 2:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
It makes no sense spending money on the away bars. They are not open long enough and would not bring in the revenue to justify it unfortunately.

There are pubs away fans can go in,

I have been in the away bar in the corner of the Osmond, It was ok, ffs all I wanted was a beer, I as a fan and drinker do not need 5* facilities to drink a glass of beer in a football ground. Also look at other clubs higher up, they have poxy kiosks.

Yes it is old and has not been used o kept in a good condition for a long time, so small steps and looking for affordable and sensible ways to improve it has to be the answer imo.

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 76
aaron rattray
December 16, 2012, 2:45pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker

Not the issue though it.. Fans don't come to the game for a beer they come to watch their team play. Do you see away players tweeting about the state of the changing room? NO..

BP has to look as intimidating as possible for the away lot imo.

The Away bar facilities have been brought up in Trust meetings various times before, there was a fair bit to do over the summer as it was as our own fans took priority.

Provides some income

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 76
Wrawby_Mariner
December 16, 2012, 2:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862

Provides some income

OK...

Utility costs
staffing costs
revovation costs

in exchange for the small income at the away bar isn't viable in my opinion.

If we were to improve our away bar facilities, I should be done when we are getting higher away followings to BP on a regular basis.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 36 - 76
supertown
December 16, 2012, 2:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,460
Gold Stars: 53
can you hire that room for a do
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 76
BIGChris
December 16, 2012, 2:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
the away bar has been 'low priority' given the funds and number of active helpers we have available, however the bar does have sky sports and for the numbers who attend (yesterday the away following was less than 30 and only about 20% of those went anywhere near the bar) it has to be cost effective. The bar is an improvement, but, as others have said we are reluctant to spend larger amounts when the return is minimal.

The issue is made worse when the Trust aren't allowed to open the away bar for the bigger followings such as Mansfield and Lincoln which would be greater pay days and make it a more cost effective across the season. This is a police/health and safety decision

The alternative is to go back to the outside 'hatch' serving. Personaly i think the facilities on offer are much better than they were and at least it is inside. My biggest dissapointment is that we arent able to provide the Pontoonites with their own internal bar facility but at least arranging for them to use the Lower Findus facility pre and post match is a help, however small.

The ground is old and as such there is little more the Trust can do to revamp the actual buildings but by cleaning the away bar, installing Sky TV and actually staffing the facility we have improved things.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 76
Youngy
December 16, 2012, 2:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,663
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from marinerian
It makes no sense spending money on the away bars. They are not open long enough and would not bring in the revenue to justify it unfortunately.

There are pubs away fans can go in,

I have been in the away bar in the corner of the Osmond, It was ok, ffs all I wanted was a beer, I as a fan and drinker do not need 5* facilities to drink a glass of beer in a football ground. Also look at other clubs higher up, they have poxy kiosks.

Yes it is old and has not been used o kept in a good condition for a long time, so small steps and looking for affordable and sensible ways to improve it has to be the answer imo.

Exactly, most Premier League grounds don't even offer a bar for away supporters. It's usually bottled beer at a kiosk and nothing more.

The bars at BP have greatly improved since the Trust came in, they've prioritised the facilities to our support and rightly so. Maybe when we go back to getting average away followings of over 100 then we can look into modernising the away bar but it's a complete waste of money whilst where in the BSP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The bar in the away end

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.