This thread currently has 4,913 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
April 22, 2012, 11:04am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Have to say that The member Hotel yesterday was the best pre-match boozer I've been in for a long time. Really glad that The Swan opposite wouldn't let away fans in as The member Hotel was a real gem. A great selection of hand-pulled real ales and a menu of bottles speciality ales and beers which was amazing.

In hindsight I should have just stayed in there instead of going to the game and started working my way through the menu. The one that was 11.3% ABV would have been interesting I reckon.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
aaron rattray
April 22, 2012, 11:27am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I was in the dugout bar at the ground and that was a good place and i had a good chat with a telford fan and his younger child

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 56
Marinerz93
April 22, 2012, 11:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from aaron rattray
I was in the dugout bar at the ground and that was a good place and i had a good chat with a telford fan and his younger child

I wonder if anyone saw you and can confirm that, great story though, it's what the match day experience is all about.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 56
aaron rattray
April 22, 2012, 4:10pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

I wonder if anyone saw you and can confirm that, great story though, it's what the match day experience is all about.

I was, i walked through the door and a woman asked me if i had a good journey

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 56
I believe in Cod
April 22, 2012, 4:31pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +14 / -3

flipping hell thats like top end jeremy paxman question that

I bet that convo was a real thriller

Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 56
aaron rattray
April 22, 2012, 4:40pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from I believe in Cod

flipping hell thats like top end jeremy paxman question that

I bet that convo was a real thriller

No i went and sat down next to a gentleman and his younger son and i had the conversation with him and his younger son

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 56
alvinghammariner
April 22, 2012, 4:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114

No i went and sat down next to a gentleman and his younger son and i had the conversation with him and his younger son

now now, what has this forum told you about befriending young children.

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 56
pseudonym
April 22, 2012, 5:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from alvinghammariner

Like when I befriended you

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 56
aaron rattray
April 22, 2012, 5:33pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from alvinghammariner

Did no such thing

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 56
OptimisticMariner
April 22, 2012, 5:43pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / -1
The member Hotel?

I'm guessing this is the "swear filter" at work again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 56
Rob_in_Grimsby
April 22, 2012, 6:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8

tricky to get his son older than him  

moribus facit hominem
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
STB
April 22, 2012, 6:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from OptimisticMariner
The member Hotel?

I'm guessing this is the "swear filter" at work again.

The correct name in the tackle Hotel

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
kingofthekippers
April 22, 2012, 6:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
It could have been worse. They could have called it the member Inn.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
aaron rattray
April 22, 2012, 6:51pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from STB

The correct name in the tackle Hotel

In other words the c.o.c.k hotel without the dots but i was in a far better place

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
April 22, 2012, 8:06pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38

In other words the c.o.c.k hotel without the dots but i was in a far better place

Aaron: The Co-ck Hotel is my local, it is so far ahead of 'The Dugout bar' at the ground, you are obviously a complete berk. One sells eight different Real Ales, a cask cider and a selection of Belgian and Continental bottled beers: the other sells lager to kids.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
Shithouse Rat
April 22, 2012, 9:00pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

Aaron: The Co-ck Hotel is my local, it is so far ahead of 'The Dugout bar' at the ground, you are obviously a complete berk. One sells eight different Real Ales, a cask cider and a selection of Belgian and Continental bottled beers: the other sells lager to kids.

Maybe, just maybe he wanted a pint of lager and not real ale.  Jesus there are some right pompus fuckwits that post on here.

[img]http://www.musicquizworld.com/images/banner_bobmarley.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
LeeNogan
April 22, 2012, 9:01pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Is this Aaron person for real or is he the figment of somebodies imagination. Can an individual be so dim...........is that what our education system is turning out. This board used to be worth reading...........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
ska face
April 22, 2012, 9:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,763
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Shithouse Rat

Maybe, just maybe he wanted a pint of lager and not real ale.  Jesus there are some right pompus fuckwits that post on here.

I think that sums up a fair proportion of the 'real ale brigade'. Fair enough, some people look for different things in beer, but on a number of occasions I've seen people openly laughed at by bar staff in real ale pubs when asking for something that you might find in an off-licence. Only a week ago I was in The Sheffield Tap, a pub with a ridiculously large selection of drinks, and the barman looked at my friend like he'd just curled out a 12-inch turd on the bar when he had the audacity to mention he "only wanted a pint" and asked what he'd reccommend.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
moosey_club
April 22, 2012, 9:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,297
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ska face

I think that sums up a fair proportion of the 'real ale brigade'. Fair enough, some people look for different things in beer, but on a number of occasions I've seen people openly laughed at by bar staff in real ale pubs when asking for something that you might find in an off-licence. Only a week ago I was in The Sheffield Tap, a pub with a ridiculously large selection of drinks, and the barman looked at my friend like he'd just curled out a 12-inch turd on the bar when he had the audacity to mention he "only wanted a pint" and asked what he'd reccommend.

I love snobbery in all its forms, so amusing.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
Abdul19
April 22, 2012, 9:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,589
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ska face

I think that sums up a fair proportion of the 'real ale brigade'.

[img]http://comeheretome.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/realale.jpg[/img]

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
Marinerz93
April 22, 2012, 10:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

This story just gets better, give us the full story, start from when you got on the coach.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
STB
April 22, 2012, 10:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from ska face

Fooking annoying when some beardy twaat asks for a pint of Stinking Scrotum at the bar.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
voice of reason
April 23, 2012, 9:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17

I'd say that sums you up too having an argument about what is a better pub with a 14/15 yr old...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
cmackenzie4
April 23, 2012, 9:10am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from kingofthekippers

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
Maringer
April 23, 2012, 9:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,659
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from ska face

That's a problem with the barman, not people who like Real Ale. Your mate did the right thing asking for a recommendation and didn't deserve the barman acting like a mammary.

The problem is that the vast majority of beer served on draught in UK pubs is just utter urine - Carling, Worthingtons, Boddingtons and any of the 'Continental' lagers brewed on licence over here in the UK. Drink a pint of Stella, Kronenbourg or San Miguel on the continent and you'll enjoy a decent lager. Have one over here and you'll be drinking something brewed down to the lowest budget which is full of preservatives which are there so the landlords can leave a barrel on for weeks and make the stuff taste worse as well as giving worse hangovers. The Heineken we get on draught here is brewed on the continent but is still pumped full of the same preservatives which make it taste shite and also give you a stinking head. Don't get me started on the "Cold" and "Extra Cold" beers or the "Smooth" nitrokeg crap either. All just gimmicks to stop you tasting how poor the beer actually is.

In comparison, real ale needs to be looked after and is only 'ready' at certain dates so it's not as good for the don't-give-a-crap landlords who just want to ship stuff out regardless of quality. That said, some real ale is just crap in any case and plenty of pubs don't have a clue about keeping it properly so you won't always get a good pint there. Better to take a gamble with a real ale and hope for a good pint than be guaranteed a bad one with rubbish keg stuff.

There's no excuse for the atrocious lager we have to endure in this country. The problem is that lots of people will drink any old crap as long as it contains alcohol. On the continent, you don't get this situation as people won't drink it if it tastes rubbish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
voice of reason
April 23, 2012, 10:12am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

That's a problem with the barman, not people who like Real Ale. Your mate did the right thing asking for a recommendation and didn't deserve the barman acting like a mammary.

The problem is that the vast majority of beer served on draught in UK pubs is just utter urine - Carling, Worthingtons, Boddingtons and any of the 'Continental' lagers brewed on licence over here in the UK. Drink a pint of Stella, Kronenbourg or San Miguel on the continent and you'll enjoy a decent lager. Have one over here and you'll be drinking something brewed down to the lowest budget which is full of preservatives which are there so the landlords can leave a barrel on for weeks and make the stuff taste worse as well as giving worse hangovers. The Heineken we get on draught here is brewed on the continent but is still pumped full of the same preservatives which make it taste shite and also give you a stinking head. Don't get me started on the "Cold" and "Extra Cold" beers or the "Smooth" nitrokeg crap either. All just gimmicks to stop you tasting how poor the beer actually is.

In comparison, real ale needs to be looked after and is only 'ready' at certain dates so it's not as good for the don't-give-a-crap landlords who just want to ship stuff out regardless of quality. That said, some real ale is just crap in any case and plenty of pubs don't have a clue about keeping it properly so you won't always get a good pint there. Better to take a gamble with a real ale and hope for a good pint than be guaranteed a bad one with rubbish keg stuff.

There's no excuse for the atrocious lager we have to endure in this country. The problem is that lots of people will drink any old crap as long as it contains alcohol. On the continent, you don't get this situation as people won't drink it if it tastes rubbish.

Which highlights the problem with most 'real ale' drinkers... What a patronising mammary...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
Maringer
April 23, 2012, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from voice of reason

Which highlights the problem with most 'real ale' drinkers... What a patronising mammary...

A brilliantly-argued counterpoint.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
voice of reason
April 23, 2012, 10:35am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

A brilliantly-argued counterpoint.

I wasn't arguing a 'counterpoint' I was pointing out an observation...

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
Mariner_501
April 23, 2012, 10:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28

I'd say that sums you up too having an argument about what is a better pub with a 14/15 yr old...

Yep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
Maringer
April 23, 2012, 11:17am
Barley Wine Drinker

I wasn't arguing a 'counterpoint' I was pointing out an observation...

Call me crazy, but I just like drinking beer which actually tastes nice. I'm the same about food as well.

Bizarre, I know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
Les Brechin
April 23, 2012, 11:36am

Quoted from Maringer

Call me crazy, but I just like drinking beer which actually tastes nice. I'm the same about food as well.

Bizarre, I know.

It did make me smile on Saturday when a Town fan in there was perusing the different handpulls on offer whilst waiting to be served and when asked what he wanted said "a pint of bitter please"

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
Dan
April 23, 2012, 12:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
What's wrong with that?

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
Les Brechin
April 23, 2012, 12:20pm

Quoted from Dan
What's wrong with that?

A bit similar to someone going into a butchers and asking for "some meat please" or the deli counter in the supermarket and asking for "a piece of cheese"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
Dan
April 23, 2012, 12:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Seems legit to me.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
voice of reason
April 23, 2012, 12:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Bizarre, I know.

What is bizarre is that anyone who doesn't like drinking real ale is labelled as 'drinking any old crap as long as it contains alcohol'...

Call me crazy but I find that patronising, hence my original comment...  

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
Chrisblor
April 23, 2012, 12:59pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,948
Gold Stars: 239
I didn't go in because it was called member Hotel.

I also don't mind drinking pints of Carling or Becks or Carlsberg or Fosters so make of that what you will.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
April 23, 2012, 1:02pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
I've been a Real Ale twit for years and hope to continue being one for years to come: lager is for kids, or after some hard labour, a 'lawn-mower' drink.

I also like being patronising about it; I leave a pub if it doesn't sell 'Real Ale' because that is what I like, and so should everybody else!

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
Maringer
April 23, 2012, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I wouldn't have a problem if the 'basic' beer in this country was decent, but Carling/Worthingtons etc etc is just rubbish. You only need to taste it to discover this.

On the other hand, every other country I've visited has had local beers ranging between decent and good - even Ireland, where the lager may be as rubbish as in the UK, but the stout is generally decent (if overrated). I just find it frustrating that every other country in Europe has decent local beers while we're stuck with utter dross.

In addition to real ale, I'm partial to a decent lager from time to time. We just don't get any decent lager on draught in the UK.

Why should the Stella in Belgium (produced in an enormous factory brewery in Leuven) taste good in comparison to the horrible stuff brewed here? Similarly Kronenbourg, San Miguel, Staropramen etc etc.

I find it very frustrating!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
Rodley Mariner
April 23, 2012, 1:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178

I also like being patronising about it; I leave a pub if it doesn't sell 'Real Ale' because that is what I like, and so should everybody else!

I'm not sure how easy it is to patronise people when you're a grown man pretending to be a dog on the internet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
FishOutOfWater
April 23, 2012, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37

Ched Evans doesn't need reminding about that!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
April 23, 2012, 4:12pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'm not sure how easy it is to patronise people when you're a grown man pretending to be a dog on the internet.

Difficult but I try: after all 'it's a dogs life'.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
kingofthekippers
April 23, 2012, 4:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
The problem stems back decades. In the 1960's there was a frenzy of takeovers of small, regional breweries who had a long pedigree and cared passionately about the product they sold because their audience was local and knew what they liked.

The companies that bought them were the bigger national brewers who wanted to gain market share and economies of scale. Once bought the local breweries ceased to make their own ales and the new owners started pushing their own mass-produced product through the pubs they had just bought - Hewitts purchase by Bass is a prime example of this.

In the 1970's the move from cask ales to keg beer in order to increase profits sounded the death-knell for British ale-making. In the 1980's the biggest brewers just went through the motions of making beer as they had become nothing but money-making machines that cared little for product quality and customer satisfaction becasue they knew Joe Public had nowhere else to turn to.

Now our main breweries are foreign-owned and compete with each other to sell as much carbonated urine as they can. In the last 30 years standards have fallen so far that many people aged under 40 have little true appreciation for what ale can offer, other than as a means to get drunk quickly. The national palate is being destroyed and that is why twenty- and thirtysomethings think the likes of Fosters and Carling are great.

Thankfully some fine local brewers still remain - Bateman's for one - and ale production (as opposed to beer manufacture) is increasing with some fine microbreweries and their ales now out there.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
April 23, 2012, 4:37pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker

How rude: do you talk to all Dogs like that or have I upset you?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
mr viv
April 23, 2012, 4:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2

What the bar where it was £3.40 a pint of lager and £2.30 half a coke.........ye it was ace!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
Maringer
April 23, 2012, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The problem stems back decades. In the 1960's there was a frenzy of takeovers of small, regional breweries who had a long pedigree and cared passionately about the product they sold because their audience was local and knew what they liked.

The companies that bought them were the bigger national brewers who wanted to gain market share and economies of scale. Once bought the local breweries ceased to make their own ales and the new owners started pushing their own mass-produced product through the pubs they had just bought - Hewitts purchase by Bass is a prime example of this.

In the 1970's the move from cask ales to keg beer in order to increase profits sounded the death-knell for British ale-making. In the 1980's the biggest brewers just went through the motions of making beer as they had become nothing but money-making machines that cared little for product quality and customer satisfaction becasue they knew Joe Public had nowhere else to turn to.

Now our main breweries are foreign-owned and compete with each other to sell as much carbonated urine as they can. In the last 30 years standards have fallen so far that many people aged under 40 have little true appreciation for what ale can offer, other than as a means to get drunk quickly. The national palate is being destroyed and that is why twenty- and thirtysomethings think the likes of Fosters and Carling are great.

Thankfully some fine local brewers still remain - Bateman's for one - and ale production (as opposed to beer manufacture) is increasing with some fine microbreweries and their ales now out there.

Apparently, this post makes you an elitist beer snob.

Anyway, I've always been a little bit disappointed that I never had the chance to try any Hewitts beer. My Dad tells me it was pretty good. Not really a great fan of Batemans beer, to tell the truth, although I've sunk a few XXXB over the years as that's not a bad pint.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
Les Brechin
April 23, 2012, 5:37pm

Bateman's ales certainly have a unique taste. You can always tell a pint of Bateman's with your eyes shut.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
April 23, 2012, 5:59pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker

What a strange bloke? you are: you obviously no nothing about me or Dogs in general. I think I'll blank you from now on. Plesae do not reply to any of my posts, thank you for understanding.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
welshmariner
April 23, 2012, 6:04pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted Text
Anyway, I've always been a little bit disappointed that I never had the chance to try any Hewitts beer. My Dad tells me it was pretty good.

Tell yer Dad he had excellent taste - Hewitts was a brilliant brew.  There was also an excellent pint of Old Tom at the Honest Lawyer (Carr Lane?)  Memory dims - or it could be the Hewitts!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
pseudonym
April 23, 2012, 6:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Quoted from welshmariner

Tell yer Dad he had excellent taste - Hewitts was a brilliant brew.  There was also an excellent pint of Old Tom at the Honest Lawyer (Carr Lane?)  Memory dims - or it could be the Hewitts!
Was it Old Tom in the Spiders Web on Carr Lane ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
welshmariner
April 23, 2012, 6:32pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from pseudonym
Was it Old Tom in the Spiders Web on Carr Lane ?

Yus, the Spider's - that's the one!  I seem to remember a pianist there at the weekend? Old Tom was a beautiful dark old ale - strong, too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
Shithouse Rat
April 23, 2012, 6:44pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +8 / -2

How rude: do you talk to all Dogs like that or have I upset you?

Firstly, I'm not talking to a dog, I'm replying to a (supposedly) grown man who pretends to be a dog.  Secondly, you couldn't upset me if you tried, I just thought that your reply to Aaron made you come across as a pompous nincompoop.  After reading further posts made by yourself on this thread, I can only assume that my intial assumption was correct.

[img]http://www.musicquizworld.com/images/banner_bobmarley.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 56
voice of reason
April 23, 2012, 7:01pm
Brandy Drinker

What a strange bloke? you are: you obviously no nothing about me or Dogs in general. I think I'll blank you from now on. Plesae do not reply to any of my posts, thank you for understanding.

I'm a strange bloke?    You're the one pretending to be a dog... And you're right, I know nothing about you other than what shite you come out with on here and to be fair, I wouldn't want to know any more about you, pretending to be a dog says more than enough....  

Sorry for replying and thanks for your understanding...  

Private Message
Reply: 51 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
April 23, 2012, 8:53pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker

Firstly, I'm not talking to a dog, I'm replying to a (supposedly) grown man who pretends to be a dog.  Secondly, you couldn't upset me if you tried, I just thought that your reply to Aaron made you come across as a pompous nincompoop.  After reading further posts made by yourself on this thread, I can only assume that my intial assumption was correct.

Good job we support the same football team then: or we'd not get on at all. I hope you don't mind but I'll also blank your good self from now on, the same as v o r.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 56
moosey_club
April 23, 2012, 8:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
Bateman's ales certainly have a unique taste. You can always tell a pint of Bateman's with your eyes shut.

I think the same applies to any beer with a bit of practice, i find the knack is to just remember what you ordered in the first place before closing your eyes and tasting. I get it right just about every time.  

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 56
Southwark Mariner
April 24, 2012, 12:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
I was reading about Hewitts yesterday! I found this site and was tempted to try and find the book:

http://www.hewittsbook.co.uk/

Also led me over to Fulstow's brewery page. I'd never heard of them and they apparently produce a new beer every single week! Is there anywhere in Grimsby I can get hold of their bottles or is it a trip to Louth?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 56
marinerian
April 24, 2012, 12:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15

well said MDT

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 56
moosey_club
April 25, 2012, 12:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I was reading about Hewitts yesterday! I found this site and was tempted to try and find the book:

http://www.hewittsbook.co.uk/

Also led me over to Fulstow's brewery page. I'd never heard of them and they apparently produce a new beer every single week! Is there anywhere in Grimsby I can get hold of their bottles or is it a trip to Louth?

The corner shop on Chelmsford Ave Westward Ho used to stock Fuglestou(?) is it? That was a couple of years back though.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 56
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The member Hotel

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.