Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 22, 2012, 11:04am
Have to say that The member Hotel yesterday was the best pre-match boozer I've been in for a long time. Really glad that The Swan opposite wouldn't let away fans in as The member Hotel was a real gem. A great selection of hand-pulled real ales and a menu of bottles speciality ales and beers which was amazing.

In hindsight I should have just stayed in there instead of going to the game and started working my way through the menu. The one that was 11.3% ABV would have been interesting I reckon.
Posted by: aaron rattray, April 22, 2012, 11:27am; Reply: 1
I was in the dugout bar at the ground and that was a good place and i had a good chat with a telford fan and his younger child
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 22, 2012, 11:57am; Reply: 2
Quoted from aaron rattray
I was in the dugout bar at the ground and that was a good place and i had a good chat with a telford fan and his younger child

I wonder if anyone saw you and can confirm that, great story though, it's what the match day experience is all about.
Posted by: aaron rattray, April 22, 2012, 4:10pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Marinerz93

I wonder if anyone saw you and can confirm that, great story though, it's what the match day experience is all about.

I was, i walked through the door and a woman asked me if i had a good journey
Posted by: I believe in Cod, April 22, 2012, 4:31pm; Reply: 4

flipping hell thats like top end jeremy paxman question that

I bet that convo was a real thriller
Posted by: aaron rattray, April 22, 2012, 4:40pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from I believe in Cod

flipping hell thats like top end jeremy paxman question that

I bet that convo was a real thriller

No i went and sat down next to a gentleman and his younger son and i had the conversation with him and his younger son
Posted by: alvinghammariner, April 22, 2012, 4:59pm; Reply: 6

No i went and sat down next to a gentleman and his younger son and i had the conversation with him and his younger son

now now, what has this forum told you about befriending young children.
Posted by: pseudonym, April 22, 2012, 5:26pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from alvinghammariner

Like when I befriended you ;D

Posted by: aaron rattray, April 22, 2012, 5:33pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from alvinghammariner

Did no such thing
Posted by: OptimisticMariner, April 22, 2012, 5:43pm; Reply: 9
The member Hotel?

I'm guessing this is the "swear filter" at work again. :)
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, April 22, 2012, 6:30pm; Reply: 10

tricky to get his son older than him  :)
Posted by: STB, April 22, 2012, 6:33pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from OptimisticMariner
The member Hotel?

I'm guessing this is the "swear filter" at work again. :)

The correct name in the tackle Hotel
Posted by: kingofthekippers, April 22, 2012, 6:50pm; Reply: 12
It could have been worse. They could have called it the member Inn.
Posted by: aaron rattray, April 22, 2012, 6:51pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from STB

The correct name in the tackle Hotel

In other words the c.o.c.k hotel without the dots but i was in a far better place
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, April 22, 2012, 8:06pm; Reply: 14

In other words the c.o.c.k hotel without the dots but i was in a far better place

Aaron: The Co-ck Hotel is my local, it is so far ahead of 'The Dugout bar' at the ground, you are obviously a complete berk. One sells eight different Real Ales, a cask cider and a selection of Belgian and Continental bottled beers: the other sells lager to kids.

Posted by: Shithouse Rat, April 22, 2012, 9:00pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

Aaron: The Co-ck Hotel is my local, it is so far ahead of 'The Dugout bar' at the ground, you are obviously a complete berk. One sells eight different Real Ales, a cask cider and a selection of Belgian and Continental bottled beers: the other sells lager to kids.

Maybe, just maybe he wanted a pint of lager and not real ale.  Jesus there are some right pompus fuckwits that post on here.
Posted by: LeeNogan, April 22, 2012, 9:01pm; Reply: 16
Is this Aaron person for real or is he the figment of somebodies imagination. Can an individual be so dim...........is that what our education system is turning out. This board used to be worth reading...........
Posted by: ska face, April 22, 2012, 9:17pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Shithouse Rat

Maybe, just maybe he wanted a pint of lager and not real ale.  Jesus there are some right pompus fuckwits that post on here.

I think that sums up a fair proportion of the 'real ale brigade'. Fair enough, some people look for different things in beer, but on a number of occasions I've seen people openly laughed at by bar staff in real ale pubs when asking for something that you might find in an off-licence. Only a week ago I was in The Sheffield Tap, a pub with a ridiculously large selection of drinks, and the barman looked at my friend like he'd just curled out a 12-inch turd on the bar when he had the audacity to mention he "only wanted a pint" and asked what he'd reccommend.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 22, 2012, 9:20pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from ska face

I think that sums up a fair proportion of the 'real ale brigade'. Fair enough, some people look for different things in beer, but on a number of occasions I've seen people openly laughed at by bar staff in real ale pubs when asking for something that you might find in an off-licence. Only a week ago I was in The Sheffield Tap, a pub with a ridiculously large selection of drinks, and the barman looked at my friend like he'd just curled out a 12-inch turd on the bar when he had the audacity to mention he "only wanted a pint" and asked what he'd reccommend.

I love snobbery in all its forms, so amusing.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 22, 2012, 9:30pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from ska face

I think that sums up a fair proportion of the 'real ale brigade'.

[img]http://comeheretome.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/realale.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Marinerz93, April 22, 2012, 10:18pm; Reply: 20

This story just gets better, give us the full story, start from when you got on the coach.
Posted by: STB, April 22, 2012, 10:21pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ska face

Fooking annoying when some beardy twaat asks for a pint of Stinking Scrotum at the bar.
Posted by: voice of reason, April 23, 2012, 9:03am; Reply: 22

I'd say that sums you up too having an argument about what is a better pub with a 14/15 yr old...
Posted by: cmackenzie4, April 23, 2012, 9:10am; Reply: 23
Quoted from kingofthekippers

;D
Posted by: Maringer, April 23, 2012, 9:51am; Reply: 24
Quoted from ska face

That's a problem with the barman, not people who like Real Ale. Your mate did the right thing asking for a recommendation and didn't deserve the barman acting like a mammary.

The problem is that the vast majority of beer served on draught in UK pubs is just utter urine - Carling, Worthingtons, Boddingtons and any of the 'Continental' lagers brewed on licence over here in the UK. Drink a pint of Stella, Kronenbourg or San Miguel on the continent and you'll enjoy a decent lager. Have one over here and you'll be drinking something brewed down to the lowest budget which is full of preservatives which are there so the landlords can leave a barrel on for weeks and make the stuff taste worse as well as giving worse hangovers. The Heineken we get on draught here is brewed on the continent but is still pumped full of the same preservatives which make it taste shite and also give you a stinking head. Don't get me started on the "Cold" and "Extra Cold" beers or the "Smooth" nitrokeg crap either. All just gimmicks to stop you tasting how poor the beer actually is.

In comparison, real ale needs to be looked after and is only 'ready' at certain dates so it's not as good for the don't-give-a-crap landlords who just want to ship stuff out regardless of quality. That said, some real ale is just crap in any case and plenty of pubs don't have a clue about keeping it properly so you won't always get a good pint there. Better to take a gamble with a real ale and hope for a good pint than be guaranteed a bad one with rubbish keg stuff.

There's no excuse for the atrocious lager we have to endure in this country. The problem is that lots of people will drink any old crap as long as it contains alcohol. On the continent, you don't get this situation as people won't drink it if it tastes rubbish.
Posted by: voice of reason, April 23, 2012, 10:12am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Maringer

That's a problem with the barman, not people who like Real Ale. Your mate did the right thing asking for a recommendation and didn't deserve the barman acting like a mammary.

The problem is that the vast majority of beer served on draught in UK pubs is just utter urine - Carling, Worthingtons, Boddingtons and any of the 'Continental' lagers brewed on licence over here in the UK. Drink a pint of Stella, Kronenbourg or San Miguel on the continent and you'll enjoy a decent lager. Have one over here and you'll be drinking something brewed down to the lowest budget which is full of preservatives which are there so the landlords can leave a barrel on for weeks and make the stuff taste worse as well as giving worse hangovers. The Heineken we get on draught here is brewed on the continent but is still pumped full of the same preservatives which make it taste shite and also give you a stinking head. Don't get me started on the "Cold" and "Extra Cold" beers or the "Smooth" nitrokeg crap either. All just gimmicks to stop you tasting how poor the beer actually is.

In comparison, real ale needs to be looked after and is only 'ready' at certain dates so it's not as good for the don't-give-a-crap landlords who just want to ship stuff out regardless of quality. That said, some real ale is just crap in any case and plenty of pubs don't have a clue about keeping it properly so you won't always get a good pint there. Better to take a gamble with a real ale and hope for a good pint than be guaranteed a bad one with rubbish keg stuff.

There's no excuse for the atrocious lager we have to endure in this country. The problem is that lots of people will drink any old crap as long as it contains alcohol. On the continent, you don't get this situation as people won't drink it if it tastes rubbish.

Which highlights the problem with most 'real ale' drinkers... What a patronising mammary...
Posted by: Maringer, April 23, 2012, 10:28am; Reply: 26
Quoted from voice of reason

Which highlights the problem with most 'real ale' drinkers... What a patronising mammary...

A brilliantly-argued counterpoint.
Posted by: voice of reason, April 23, 2012, 10:35am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Maringer

A brilliantly-argued counterpoint.

I wasn't arguing a 'counterpoint' I was pointing out an observation...
Posted by: Mariner_501, April 23, 2012, 10:36am; Reply: 28

I'd say that sums you up too having an argument about what is a better pub with a 14/15 yr old...

Yep.
Posted by: Maringer, April 23, 2012, 11:17am; Reply: 29

I wasn't arguing a 'counterpoint' I was pointing out an observation...

Call me crazy, but I just like drinking beer which actually tastes nice. I'm the same about food as well.

Bizarre, I know.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 23, 2012, 11:36am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Maringer

Call me crazy, but I just like drinking beer which actually tastes nice. I'm the same about food as well.

Bizarre, I know.

It did make me smile on Saturday when a Town fan in there was perusing the different handpulls on offer whilst waiting to be served and when asked what he wanted said "a pint of bitter please"

Posted by: Dan, April 23, 2012, 12:13pm; Reply: 31
What's wrong with that?
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 23, 2012, 12:20pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Dan
What's wrong with that?

A bit similar to someone going into a butchers and asking for "some meat please" or the deli counter in the supermarket and asking for "a piece of cheese"
Posted by: Dan, April 23, 2012, 12:25pm; Reply: 33
Seems legit to me.
Posted by: voice of reason, April 23, 2012, 12:50pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Maringer

Bizarre, I know.

What is bizarre is that anyone who doesn't like drinking real ale is labelled as 'drinking any old crap as long as it contains alcohol'...

Call me crazy but I find that patronising, hence my original comment...  ;)
Posted by: Chrisblor, April 23, 2012, 12:59pm; Reply: 35
I didn't go in because it was called member Hotel.

I also don't mind drinking pints of Carling or Becks or Carlsberg or Fosters so make of that what you will.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, April 23, 2012, 1:02pm; Reply: 36
I've been a Real Ale twit for years and hope to continue being one for years to come: lager is for kids, or after some hard labour, a 'lawn-mower' drink.

I also like being patronising about it; I leave a pub if it doesn't sell 'Real Ale' because that is what I like, and so should everybody else!
Posted by: Maringer, April 23, 2012, 1:07pm; Reply: 37
I wouldn't have a problem if the 'basic' beer in this country was decent, but Carling/Worthingtons etc etc is just rubbish. You only need to taste it to discover this.

On the other hand, every other country I've visited has had local beers ranging between decent and good - even Ireland, where the lager may be as rubbish as in the UK, but the stout is generally decent (if overrated). I just find it frustrating that every other country in Europe has decent local beers while we're stuck with utter dross.

In addition to real ale, I'm partial to a decent lager from time to time. We just don't get any decent lager on draught in the UK.

Why should the Stella in Belgium (produced in an enormous factory brewery in Leuven) taste good in comparison to the horrible stuff brewed here? Similarly Kronenbourg, San Miguel, Staropramen etc etc.

I find it very frustrating!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 23, 2012, 1:19pm; Reply: 38

I also like being patronising about it; I leave a pub if it doesn't sell 'Real Ale' because that is what I like, and so should everybody else!

I'm not sure how easy it is to patronise people when you're a grown man pretending to be a dog on the internet.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 23, 2012, 1:21pm; Reply: 39

Ched Evans doesn't need reminding about that!

Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, April 23, 2012, 4:12pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'm not sure how easy it is to patronise people when you're a grown man pretending to be a dog on the internet.

Difficult but I try: after all 'it's a dogs life'.

Posted by: kingofthekippers, April 23, 2012, 4:37pm; Reply: 41
The problem stems back decades. In the 1960's there was a frenzy of takeovers of small, regional breweries who had a long pedigree and cared passionately about the product they sold because their audience was local and knew what they liked.

The companies that bought them were the bigger national brewers who wanted to gain market share and economies of scale. Once bought the local breweries ceased to make their own ales and the new owners started pushing their own mass-produced product through the pubs they had just bought - Hewitts purchase by Bass is a prime example of this.

In the 1970's the move from cask ales to keg beer in order to increase profits sounded the death-knell for British ale-making. In the 1980's the biggest brewers just went through the motions of making beer as they had become nothing but money-making machines that cared little for product quality and customer satisfaction becasue they knew Joe Public had nowhere else to turn to.

Now our main breweries are foreign-owned and compete with each other to sell as much carbonated urine as they can. In the last 30 years standards have fallen so far that many people aged under 40 have little true appreciation for what ale can offer, other than as a means to get drunk quickly. The national palate is being destroyed and that is why twenty- and thirtysomethings think the likes of Fosters and Carling are great.

Thankfully some fine local brewers still remain - Bateman's for one - and ale production (as opposed to beer manufacture) is increasing with some fine microbreweries and their ales now out there.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, April 23, 2012, 4:37pm; Reply: 42

How rude: do you talk to all Dogs like that or have I upset you?
Posted by: mr viv, April 23, 2012, 4:57pm; Reply: 43

What the bar where it was £3.40 a pint of lager and £2.30 half a coke.........ye it was ace!!!!!
Posted by: Maringer, April 23, 2012, 5:30pm; Reply: 44
The problem stems back decades. In the 1960's there was a frenzy of takeovers of small, regional breweries who had a long pedigree and cared passionately about the product they sold because their audience was local and knew what they liked.

The companies that bought them were the bigger national brewers who wanted to gain market share and economies of scale. Once bought the local breweries ceased to make their own ales and the new owners started pushing their own mass-produced product through the pubs they had just bought - Hewitts purchase by Bass is a prime example of this.

In the 1970's the move from cask ales to keg beer in order to increase profits sounded the death-knell for British ale-making. In the 1980's the biggest brewers just went through the motions of making beer as they had become nothing but money-making machines that cared little for product quality and customer satisfaction becasue they knew Joe Public had nowhere else to turn to.

Now our main breweries are foreign-owned and compete with each other to sell as much carbonated urine as they can. In the last 30 years standards have fallen so far that many people aged under 40 have little true appreciation for what ale can offer, other than as a means to get drunk quickly. The national palate is being destroyed and that is why twenty- and thirtysomethings think the likes of Fosters and Carling are great.

Thankfully some fine local brewers still remain - Bateman's for one - and ale production (as opposed to beer manufacture) is increasing with some fine microbreweries and their ales now out there.

Apparently, this post makes you an elitist beer snob.

Anyway, I've always been a little bit disappointed that I never had the chance to try any Hewitts beer. My Dad tells me it was pretty good. Not really a great fan of Batemans beer, to tell the truth, although I've sunk a few XXXB over the years as that's not a bad pint.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 23, 2012, 5:37pm; Reply: 45
Bateman's ales certainly have a unique taste. You can always tell a pint of Bateman's with your eyes shut.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, April 23, 2012, 5:59pm; Reply: 46

What a strange bloke? you are: you obviously no nothing about me or Dogs in general. I think I'll blank you from now on. Plesae do not reply to any of my posts, thank you for understanding.

Posted by: welshmariner, April 23, 2012, 6:04pm; Reply: 47
Quoted Text
Anyway, I've always been a little bit disappointed that I never had the chance to try any Hewitts beer. My Dad tells me it was pretty good.

Tell yer Dad he had excellent taste - Hewitts was a brilliant brew.  There was also an excellent pint of Old Tom at the Honest Lawyer (Carr Lane?)  Memory dims - or it could be the Hewitts!
Posted by: pseudonym, April 23, 2012, 6:20pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from welshmariner

Tell yer Dad he had excellent taste - Hewitts was a brilliant brew.  There was also an excellent pint of Old Tom at the Honest Lawyer (Carr Lane?)  Memory dims - or it could be the Hewitts!
Was it Old Tom in the Spiders Web on Carr Lane ?
Posted by: welshmariner, April 23, 2012, 6:32pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from pseudonym
Was it Old Tom in the Spiders Web on Carr Lane ?

Yus, the Spider's - that's the one!  I seem to remember a pianist there at the weekend? Old Tom was a beautiful dark old ale - strong, too.
Posted by: Shithouse Rat, April 23, 2012, 6:44pm; Reply: 50

How rude: do you talk to all Dogs like that or have I upset you?

Firstly, I'm not talking to a dog, I'm replying to a (supposedly) grown man who pretends to be a dog.  Secondly, you couldn't upset me if you tried, I just thought that your reply to Aaron made you come across as a pompous nincompoop.  After reading further posts made by yourself on this thread, I can only assume that my intial assumption was correct.
Posted by: voice of reason, April 23, 2012, 7:01pm; Reply: 51

What a strange bloke? you are: you obviously no nothing about me or Dogs in general. I think I'll blank you from now on. Plesae do not reply to any of my posts, thank you for understanding.

I'm a strange bloke?  ;D  You're the one pretending to be a dog... And you're right, I know nothing about you other than what shite you come out with on here and to be fair, I wouldn't want to know any more about you, pretending to be a dog says more than enough....  ??)

Sorry for replying and thanks for your understanding...  ;)
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, April 23, 2012, 8:53pm; Reply: 52

Firstly, I'm not talking to a dog, I'm replying to a (supposedly) grown man who pretends to be a dog.  Secondly, you couldn't upset me if you tried, I just thought that your reply to Aaron made you come across as a pompous nincompoop.  After reading further posts made by yourself on this thread, I can only assume that my intial assumption was correct.

Good job we support the same football team then: or we'd not get on at all. I hope you don't mind but I'll also blank your good self from now on, the same as v o r.

Posted by: moosey_club, April 23, 2012, 8:57pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Les Brechin
Bateman's ales certainly have a unique taste. You can always tell a pint of Bateman's with your eyes shut.

I think the same applies to any beer with a bit of practice, i find the knack is to just remember what you ordered in the first place before closing your eyes and tasting. I get it right just about every time.   :P
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, April 24, 2012, 12:04pm; Reply: 54
I was reading about Hewitts yesterday! I found this site and was tempted to try and find the book:

http://www.hewittsbook.co.uk/

Also led me over to Fulstow's brewery page. I'd never heard of them and they apparently produce a new beer every single week! Is there anywhere in Grimsby I can get hold of their bottles or is it a trip to Louth?
Posted by: marinerian, April 24, 2012, 12:12pm; Reply: 55

;D ;D ;D well said MDT
Posted by: moosey_club, April 25, 2012, 12:25am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I was reading about Hewitts yesterday! I found this site and was tempted to try and find the book:

http://www.hewittsbook.co.uk/

Also led me over to Fulstow's brewery page. I'd never heard of them and they apparently produce a new beer every single week! Is there anywhere in Grimsby I can get hold of their bottles or is it a trip to Louth?

The corner shop on Chelmsford Ave Westward Ho used to stock Fuglestou(?) is it? That was a couple of years back though.
Print page generated: May 25, 2024, 12:22pm