April 22, 2012, 10:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from aaron rattray

I was, i walked through the door and a woman asked me if i had a good journey

This story just gets better, give us the full story, start from when you got on the coach.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
STB
April 22, 2012, 10:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from ska face

I think that sums up a fair proportion of the 'real ale brigade'. Fair enough, some people look for different things in beer, but on a number of occasions I've seen people openly laughed at by bar staff in real ale pubs when asking for something that you might find in an off-licence. Only a week ago I was in The Sheffield Tap, a pub with a ridiculously large selection of drinks, and the barman looked at my friend like he'd just curled out a 12-inch turd on the bar when he had the audacity to mention he "only wanted a pint" and asked what he'd reccommend.

Fooking annoying when some beardy twaat asks for a pint of Stinking Scrotum at the bar.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
voice of reason
April 23, 2012, 9:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

Aaron: The Co-ck Hotel is my local, it is so far ahead of 'The Dugout bar' at the ground, you are obviously a complete berk. One sells eight different Real Ales, a cask cider and a selection of Belgian and Continental bottled beers: the other sells lager to kids.

I'd say that sums you up too having an argument about what is a better pub with a 14/15 yr old...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
cmackenzie4
April 23, 2012, 9:10am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from kingofthekippers
It could have been worse. They could have called it the member Inn.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
Maringer
April 23, 2012, 9:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from ska face

I think that sums up a fair proportion of the 'real ale brigade'. Fair enough, some people look for different things in beer, but on a number of occasions I've seen people openly laughed at by bar staff in real ale pubs when asking for something that you might find in an off-licence. Only a week ago I was in The Sheffield Tap, a pub with a ridiculously large selection of drinks, and the barman looked at my friend like he'd just curled out a 12-inch turd on the bar when he had the audacity to mention he "only wanted a pint" and asked what he'd reccommend.

That's a problem with the barman, not people who like Real Ale. Your mate did the right thing asking for a recommendation and didn't deserve the barman acting like a mammary.

The problem is that the vast majority of beer served on draught in UK pubs is just utter urine - Carling, Worthingtons, Boddingtons and any of the 'Continental' lagers brewed on licence over here in the UK. Drink a pint of Stella, Kronenbourg or San Miguel on the continent and you'll enjoy a decent lager. Have one over here and you'll be drinking something brewed down to the lowest budget which is full of preservatives which are there so the landlords can leave a barrel on for weeks and make the stuff taste worse as well as giving worse hangovers. The Heineken we get on draught here is brewed on the continent but is still pumped full of the same preservatives which make it taste shite and also give you a stinking head. Don't get me started on the "Cold" and "Extra Cold" beers or the "Smooth" nitrokeg crap either. All just gimmicks to stop you tasting how poor the beer actually is.

In comparison, real ale needs to be looked after and is only 'ready' at certain dates so it's not as good for the don't-give-a-crap landlords who just want to ship stuff out regardless of quality. That said, some real ale is just crap in any case and plenty of pubs don't have a clue about keeping it properly so you won't always get a good pint there. Better to take a gamble with a real ale and hope for a good pint than be guaranteed a bad one with rubbish keg stuff.

There's no excuse for the atrocious lager we have to endure in this country. The problem is that lots of people will drink any old crap as long as it contains alcohol. On the continent, you don't get this situation as people won't drink it if it tastes rubbish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
voice of reason
April 23, 2012, 10:12am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

That's a problem with the barman, not people who like Real Ale. Your mate did the right thing asking for a recommendation and didn't deserve the barman acting like a mammary.

The problem is that the vast majority of beer served on draught in UK pubs is just utter urine - Carling, Worthingtons, Boddingtons and any of the 'Continental' lagers brewed on licence over here in the UK. Drink a pint of Stella, Kronenbourg or San Miguel on the continent and you'll enjoy a decent lager. Have one over here and you'll be drinking something brewed down to the lowest budget which is full of preservatives which are there so the landlords can leave a barrel on for weeks and make the stuff taste worse as well as giving worse hangovers. The Heineken we get on draught here is brewed on the continent but is still pumped full of the same preservatives which make it taste shite and also give you a stinking head. Don't get me started on the "Cold" and "Extra Cold" beers or the "Smooth" nitrokeg crap either. All just gimmicks to stop you tasting how poor the beer actually is.

In comparison, real ale needs to be looked after and is only 'ready' at certain dates so it's not as good for the don't-give-a-crap landlords who just want to ship stuff out regardless of quality. That said, some real ale is just crap in any case and plenty of pubs don't have a clue about keeping it properly so you won't always get a good pint there. Better to take a gamble with a real ale and hope for a good pint than be guaranteed a bad one with rubbish keg stuff.

There's no excuse for the atrocious lager we have to endure in this country. The problem is that lots of people will drink any old crap as long as it contains alcohol. On the continent, you don't get this situation as people won't drink it if it tastes rubbish.

Which highlights the problem with most 'real ale' drinkers... What a patronising mammary...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
Maringer
April 23, 2012, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from voice of reason

Which highlights the problem with most 'real ale' drinkers... What a patronising mammary...

A brilliantly-argued counterpoint.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
voice of reason
April 23, 2012, 10:35am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

A brilliantly-argued counterpoint.

I wasn't arguing a 'counterpoint' I was pointing out an observation...

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
Mariner_501
April 23, 2012, 10:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28

I'd say that sums you up too having an argument about what is a better pub with a 14/15 yr old...

Yep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
Maringer
April 23, 2012, 11:17am
Barley Wine Drinker

I wasn't arguing a 'counterpoint' I was pointing out an observation...

Call me crazy, but I just like drinking beer which actually tastes nice. I'm the same about food as well.

Bizarre, I know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The member Hotel

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.