MyDogsThoughts
April 23, 2012, 4:12pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'm not sure how easy it is to patronise people when you're a grown man pretending to be a dog on the internet.

Difficult but I try: after all 'it's a dogs life'.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
kingofthekippers
April 23, 2012, 4:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
The problem stems back decades. In the 1960's there was a frenzy of takeovers of small, regional breweries who had a long pedigree and cared passionately about the product they sold because their audience was local and knew what they liked.

The companies that bought them were the bigger national brewers who wanted to gain market share and economies of scale. Once bought the local breweries ceased to make their own ales and the new owners started pushing their own mass-produced product through the pubs they had just bought - Hewitts purchase by Bass is a prime example of this.

In the 1970's the move from cask ales to keg beer in order to increase profits sounded the death-knell for British ale-making. In the 1980's the biggest brewers just went through the motions of making beer as they had become nothing but money-making machines that cared little for product quality and customer satisfaction becasue they knew Joe Public had nowhere else to turn to.

Now our main breweries are foreign-owned and compete with each other to sell as much carbonated urine as they can. In the last 30 years standards have fallen so far that many people aged under 40 have little true appreciation for what ale can offer, other than as a means to get drunk quickly. The national palate is being destroyed and that is why twenty- and thirtysomethings think the likes of Fosters and Carling are great.

Thankfully some fine local brewers still remain - Bateman's for one - and ale production (as opposed to beer manufacture) is increasing with some fine microbreweries and their ales now out there.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
April 23, 2012, 4:37pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Shithouse Rat

Maybe, just maybe he wanted a pint of lager and not real ale.  Jesus there are some right pompus fuckwits that post on here.

How rude: do you talk to all Dogs like that or have I upset you?

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
mr viv
April 23, 2012, 4:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Quoted from aaron rattray
I was in the dugout bar at the ground and that was a good place and i had a good chat with a telford fan and his younger child

What the bar where it was £3.40 a pint of lager and £2.30 half a coke.........ye it was ace!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
Maringer
April 23, 2012, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from kingofthekippers
The problem stems back decades. In the 1960's there was a frenzy of takeovers of small, regional breweries who had a long pedigree and cared passionately about the product they sold because their audience was local and knew what they liked.

The companies that bought them were the bigger national brewers who wanted to gain market share and economies of scale. Once bought the local breweries ceased to make their own ales and the new owners started pushing their own mass-produced product through the pubs they had just bought - Hewitts purchase by Bass is a prime example of this.

In the 1970's the move from cask ales to keg beer in order to increase profits sounded the death-knell for British ale-making. In the 1980's the biggest brewers just went through the motions of making beer as they had become nothing but money-making machines that cared little for product quality and customer satisfaction becasue they knew Joe Public had nowhere else to turn to.

Now our main breweries are foreign-owned and compete with each other to sell as much carbonated urine as they can. In the last 30 years standards have fallen so far that many people aged under 40 have little true appreciation for what ale can offer, other than as a means to get drunk quickly. The national palate is being destroyed and that is why twenty- and thirtysomethings think the likes of Fosters and Carling are great.

Thankfully some fine local brewers still remain - Bateman's for one - and ale production (as opposed to beer manufacture) is increasing with some fine microbreweries and their ales now out there.

Apparently, this post makes you an elitist beer snob.

Anyway, I've always been a little bit disappointed that I never had the chance to try any Hewitts beer. My Dad tells me it was pretty good. Not really a great fan of Batemans beer, to tell the truth, although I've sunk a few XXXB over the years as that's not a bad pint.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
Les Brechin
April 23, 2012, 5:37pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Bateman's ales certainly have a unique taste. You can always tell a pint of Bateman's with your eyes shut.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
MyDogsThoughts
April 23, 2012, 5:59pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from voice of reason

I'd say that sums you up too having an argument about what is a better pub with a 14/15 yr old...

What a strange bloke? you are: you obviously no nothing about me or Dogs in general. I think I'll blank you from now on. Plesae do not reply to any of my posts, thank you for understanding.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
welshmariner
April 23, 2012, 6:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted Text
Anyway, I've always been a little bit disappointed that I never had the chance to try any Hewitts beer. My Dad tells me it was pretty good.

Tell yer Dad he had excellent taste - Hewitts was a brilliant brew.  There was also an excellent pint of Old Tom at the Honest Lawyer (Carr Lane?)  Memory dims - or it could be the Hewitts!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
pseudonym
April 23, 2012, 6:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from welshmariner

Tell yer Dad he had excellent taste - Hewitts was a brilliant brew.  There was also an excellent pint of Old Tom at the Honest Lawyer (Carr Lane?)  Memory dims - or it could be the Hewitts!
Was it Old Tom in the Spiders Web on Carr Lane ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
welshmariner
April 23, 2012, 6:32pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from pseudonym
Was it Old Tom in the Spiders Web on Carr Lane ?

Yus, the Spider's - that's the one!  I seem to remember a pianist there at the weekend? Old Tom was a beautiful dark old ale - strong, too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The member Hotel

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.