Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 66 Guests

Just back!

This thread currently has 6,986 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Sussexmariner
March 24, 2012, 5:40pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +624
Gold Stars: 18
On the train to london anyway!

Looked like town went for the draw with only Duffy up front, Luton had 70% is possession, Pearson and miller were superb as we're the town fans!! All in all i'lll take the point

A few Asian green grocer stalls went mammaries up on Luton high street after the match!!

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
siy2k5
March 24, 2012, 5:43pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
Ooooh melons everywhere!!

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 63
hertfordshire mariner
March 24, 2012, 5:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
We offered nothing up front for the first 60 mins,  we looked a lot better when elding and mason came on and could of sneeked all 3 points. Draw was a fair result in the end. Quality Surport yet again from town.

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 63
oldludensian
March 24, 2012, 6:03pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
We offered nothing up front for the first 60 mins,  we looked a lot better when elding and mason came on and could of sneeked all 3 points. Draw was a fair result in the end. Quality Surport yet again from town.

How many Town?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 63
Chrisblor
March 24, 2012, 6:05pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,989
Gold Stars: 243
Duffy and Wood were both abject. We must stop playing Wood in midfield. He cannot keep possession or pass a ball and simply isn't technically good enough to play in the middle of the park. Duffy looked at fault for their goal as he did not close down their man and let him easily play in the cross we conceded from. We were so much better with both of them off the pitch. Hughes-Mason was superb and his goal was top class. The managers really should be giving him a lot more playing time as he looks threatening every time I've seen him play. Miller and Pearson were brilliant.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 63
Imperial Corner
March 24, 2012, 6:40pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Outplayed for about 80 minutes with barely a shot on goal, aimless hoofs forward, and only some resolute defending keeping us in it, but we deserved something for the spirit shown at the end.

KH-M could have had a hat-trick in the short time he was on: missed one, scored one, and got pulled down charging towards the keeper. What does he have to do to get a start? Loved his reaction when he scored, he went absolutely apeshit in front of the town fans.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 63
hertfordshire mariner
March 24, 2012, 6:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from oldludensian

How many Town?

at a guess about 500

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 63
Chrisblor
March 24, 2012, 6:47pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,989
Gold Stars: 243
Highlight today (equaliser aside) was the whole stand taking the urine out of the fat Frank Lampard lookalike in the Luton executive boxes. The gobby twit soon shut up once a steward came and told him off.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 63
Marinerz93
March 24, 2012, 6:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
A deserved draw in the end but a different approach could have seen a goal feast for either side, Luton fans booing at the end will further dent their players confidence.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 63
hertfordshire mariner
March 24, 2012, 7:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker

at a guess about 500

actually prob closer to 600, it was hard to tell, the end was full but most people had to sit sideways so took up more than one seat.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 63
lemezma
March 24, 2012, 7:27pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
they were there for the  taking. too worried about stopping them. if we had played our finishing eleven front the start we would have won. Bradley wood was a waste of a shirt. centre backs magnificent. too much tinkering for me at present. its not over but we have to win six out of seven
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 63
Theimperialcoroner
March 24, 2012, 7:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,351
Gold Stars: 103
I'll take a draw, but think they were there for the taking and as such very disappointed with the way we were set up at the start. We needed to win much more than them, so why hand the initiative to them. Once we got at them and actually started to want/need to creat5e chances, we looked a much better team. They are not a patch on York on that showing

Coulson, Pearson, Meller and Disley had very good games, Couslon in particular ran himself into the ground, especially after having to do Duffy's running too for the 1st hour. The fans were superb, with some cracking taunting of the lad in the Exec boxes. TBF to him and his group, they seemed to take it as banter and were applauding the Town fans at the end.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 63
upthestripes
March 24, 2012, 7:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
How was Wright?
Also how did Winn do?  He was mentioned a lot in the commentary, but every time it was for giving the ball away or putting in a bad pass/cross.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 63
nickmariners
March 24, 2012, 7:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
We were pretty well organised throughout, kept our shape, and showed willing and high fitness right til the end - even if we seemed to be  a little lacking in goalwards ambition in the first half.

Pearson and Miller were great, and I thought Macca controlled his area well and made a couple of very good stops -- one in the first half was really terrific.

Great Town support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 63
siy2k5
March 24, 2012, 7:53pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
For all lutons possession they offered little or nothing up front. We offered even less! Khm had some dodgy touches when he first came on but settled quickly and was our most dangerous player and took his goal really well. Wood was anonymous until he went to the right wing...he then disappeared completely. The back 4 were solid, except for one mistake from silk which nearly cost a goal.

Overall happy with a point, but as others have said they were there for the taking if we'd been more adventurous from the start.

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 63
siy2k5
March 24, 2012, 7:54pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
For all lutons possession they offered little or nothing up front. We offered even less! Khm had some dodgy touches when he first came on but settled quickly and was our most dangerous player and took his goal really well. Wood was anonymous until he went to the right wing...he then disappeared completely. The back 4 were solid, except for one mistake from silk which nearly cost a goal.

Overall happy with a point, but as others have said they were there for the taking if we'd been more adventurous from the start.

Quoted from marinerian

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 63
marinerian
March 24, 2012, 7:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Maca sounded awsome in goal.

Elding & Hughes- Mason sounded vey good and the ball stuck better up front.

Duffy just sounded like he fouled a lot.

Coulson wtf does he take corners? Get Silk & Townsend need to be taking corners imo as both can crosd.

KH-M is going to be a big star here i reckon.

Him, Hearn & Elding are so different but all 3 give bags of effort!

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 63
MK Mariner
March 24, 2012, 8:13pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +7
Agree with most people on here, Luton had the majority of position with out really threatening too much. We don't really seem to have a 'plan B' when Hearn isn't playing. We didn't play badly but we often played poitless/aimless balls upfront, which was frustrating! Great support and a good away point!

Also, Gary Silk isn't good enough, simple as.  

Watching Town for 18 Years!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 63
March 24, 2012, 8:15pm
Guest User
KHM should definatly be given the chance on Tuesday.
Reply: 18 - 63
buckstown
March 24, 2012, 8:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,243
Gold Stars: 80
Pretty much echo earlier comments - we just about deserved a point for the spirit and the defensive display.
Miller was epic this afternoon, organising, talking, leading. Pearson wasn't far behind but it was aways going to be tough defending for 90 minutes and so it proved.
Thought we were toothless up front on Tuesday (other than the two set pieces we scored from) and it was the same today. Kovacs was very good for them and Duffers didn't get a kick. Our rare attacks went down the left and Winn had a bad day at the office.
Elding picked it up when he came on and although I think KHM looks lightweight his pace offers something different and he took his chance very well.
All in all we definitely have a defence to trust but we need a fit Liam. He offers so much more than just putting the ball in the net.
Chatting to a Luton fan in the pub before the game and he says they are very worried about even making the play offs and his fears look justified.
Have to say it was nice to go to a game with a crowd for a change. Town fans were superb as ever, probably 600, and the atmosphere was excellent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 63
March 24, 2012, 8:35pm
Guest User
Has anybody heard anything on Hearns injury and if he will be fit on Tuesday?
Reply: 20 - 63
EY Mariner
March 24, 2012, 8:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
It says a lot about how far we have progressed in the last three or four months that so many posters are apparently disappointed with an away draw at Luton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 63
MargeMariner
March 24, 2012, 8:55pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
We gave them far too much respect especially in the first half. Duffy found it difficult to get anything from some pretty abysmal whack it up front service.
Wright made a difference and seemed to be playing just in front of the back four.
Like others I thought Pearson and Miller were awesome particularly the former although best defending of the match came when Miller slid in after Winn had been rather too easily muscled off the ball and took the ball away from a Luton player as he looked to shoot from almost point blank range.
All the evidence suggests that Bradley Wood hasn't got the passing skills to play in midfield. Constantly gave the ball away.
Great goal from KH-M but credit must go to Elding for a fantastic flick on.
McKeown made a great save in the first half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 63
cleefish
March 24, 2012, 8:57pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
I am afraid  Duffy proved yet again that he is not up to this league football IMHO he would struggle to get a game on Bradley pitches.
IT sounds as if given a few more starts KHM will be a good investment for town  as every time he as played  he gives us more options up front he is very fast myself I would love to see more.UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 63
aaron rattray
March 24, 2012, 9:09pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
just got back. im sure people saw me. that person in the box the fat one who got told off was an idiot simple as

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 63
moosey_club
March 24, 2012, 9:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 230
Not sure what the gameplan actually was from the duo, if they went with a must not lose and maybe sneak one from a corner plan then they pretty much got that, however we are chasing the play offs so need to win games not draw them.
Having said that for me the game went like this;
chased it around for first 25 - 30 mins
weathered that storm and started to play a little ourselves once the players had settled into the system but without creating anything concrete
game petered out to half time with one effort of note for them Mckeown doing superbly to get down

second half started as the first, they bossing it without particularly causing any issues
scrappy goal for them from a corner, poor punch from Mckeown, no closing down, half a challenge...goal!!

We kept trying but to no effect until KHM was introduced, he was positive, lively and snatched at a half chance before he got his goal a short while later, nice running with the ball and a good finish. Our only real threats on goal today came while he was on the pitch.

Snatched a point from a game where we did very little to deserve one.  Thats football !!

No real quality to our play today. Strikers fed off scraps all day, Duffy had a hard task dealing with high balls against Kovacs with no support. Midfield did absolutely nothing creative all day and defenders and midfielders happy clearing the ball regardless of the time they had to control the play a little.
Invited too much pressure by giving away needless fouls and wasting possession.

Pearson for me MOM just over Miller.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 63
craigy
March 24, 2012, 9:28pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +92
Quoted from cleefish
I am afraid  Duffy proved yet again that he is not up to this league football IMHO he would struggle to get a game on Bradley pitches.

are you one of these people who slate duffy to hell when he doesnt have a good game, and then when he scores/wins the game you jump up and down singing his name?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 63
MargeMariner
March 24, 2012, 9:33pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
From behind his keyboard after listening to the radio.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 63
TAGG
March 24, 2012, 9:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from cleefish
IT sounds as if given a few more starts KHM will be a good investment for town  as every time he as played  he gives us more options up front he is very fast myself I would love to see more.UTMM

Did you go to the game to pass a comment like that about Duffy????????????????????
Dont you think that anyone up front on his own for most of the first half with excrement service would look crap???????????????
wish people would get off his back

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 63
gobby
March 24, 2012, 9:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Grand day out, Town showed they had spirit and fight. Miller was MOM for me run close by Pearson, unbelievable save from Macca towards the end of the first half. Duffy did not get the service he needed but every time he went for the ball he committed a foul which IMO was out of fustration. When 1-0 down S&H did the right thing with the substitutions and it worked and we got what we deserved from the game. Lino at our end was shocking and the Town support was bloody cracking. (And the curry on the high street was spot on)
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 63
marinette
March 24, 2012, 10:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Pearson my MOM.  We showed more spirit than class, but I came away happy. Atmosphere was good and had a great day out in Luton.  Enjoyed it.

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
Theimperialcoroner
March 24, 2012, 10:57pm

Trouble with Duffy is that he just doesn't work hard enough. Was notable that when Elding came on, despite being shorter than Duffy, managed to win a few against Kovacs, he did this by wanting it a bit more than Duffy, he put himself about and ruffled a few feathers, doing more in 30 mins than Duffy did in the previous 60. I'm not one to hate any player, but Duffy simply doesn't cut the mustard.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
80sglory
March 24, 2012, 11:50pm
Guest User
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I'll take a draw, but think they were there for the taking and as such very disappointed with the way we were set up at the start. We needed to win much more than them, so why hand the initiative to them. Once we got at them and actually started to want/need to creat5e chances, we looked a much better team.

Sounds very believable !  

To those who went, do you think any of the subs could have come on at half time ?
Not sure why we waited for them to score before making the changes ?

Also if Bradley Wood (playing right midfield) was as poor as some say, what were they waiting for with KHM ?
Reply: 32 - 63
Theimperialcoroner
March 25, 2012, 12:01am

Quoted from 1600

Sounds very believable !  

To those who went, do you think any of the subs could have come on at half time ?

Also if Bradley Wood (playing right midfield) was as poor as some say, what were they waiting for with KHM ?

I don't agree with the starting line up so yes the subs should have come on sooner, 60mins sooner. Without any real pace in the team we looked a bunch of cloggers. The exception to this was Coulson who ran himself silly. We just looked better balanced and sharper with Duffy and Wood out of the team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
alvinghammariner
March 25, 2012, 2:50am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
Just back to Reading after missing the last direct train from london, too much drinking with paris mariner!   Bradley wood is not a midfielder, central or right. We looked a lot better 4-4-2, and a great goal by KHM! bedtime!

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
lobsterpot
March 25, 2012, 9:15am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
As others have stated, anyone up top on his own struggles! I am not Duffys biggest fan but was it last home game when he came from nowhere and flung himself into a challenge to win a lost header? The guy can only do what he is good at which is try and hold it up when played in yesterdays position or flick it on when in a front 2. Like someone else posted earlier, it's a doffo matter when he is slamming a header in or volleying home! Whether an individual or the team as a whole have a good game or a excrement game, i'm pretty sure S and H kow more about them than we do so get behind the boys not boo like the usual bunch of cnuts do, be better than them cos the players don't need to hear it, they know when they've been $hit they don't need telling!

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
lukeo
March 25, 2012, 9:27am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.06
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,420
Gold Stars: 149
I'd give Elding and KHM a run out Tuesday and really go at them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 63
PalaceMariner
March 25, 2012, 11:33am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Quoted from 1600

Sounds very believable !  

As a first time poster this seems like a good place to start. I firmly believe the two managers got their team selection wrong. Duffy was hopelessly outnumbered and we got nobody up to support him. Luton must have breathed a huge sigh of relief with the game coming as it did on the back of a 3-0 hammering.
We definitely needed some pace to take the game to them.
At half time a lot of Town fans were saying that we'd come for a point but if we weren't careful we'd get nowt.
Not sure what Hughes-Mason has to do to get a start in what is a one paced team without Hearn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
Marinerz93
March 25, 2012, 12:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from PalaceMariner

As a first time poster this seems like a good place to start. I firmly believe the two managers got their team selection wrong. Duffy was hopelessly outnumbered and we got nobody up to support him. Luton must have breathed a huge sigh of relief with the game coming as it did on the back of a 3-0 hammering.
We definitely needed some pace to take the game to them.
At half time a lot of Town fans were saying that we'd come for a point but if we weren't careful we'd get nowt.
Not sure what Hughes-Mason has to do to get a start in what is a one paced team without Hearn.

good comments especially the bit in bold.  Looking at Luton they seem to be struggling of late and their fans seem to be hitting the players confidence by booing if they don't like what they see.  Luton have been in or around the play-off's from the 8th game of the season hitting the top spot after 10 games.  After that the highest they peaked was at 3rd which they held until the last 3 weeks.  They now seem to be slipping out and the Luton fans are getting on Brabins back.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
arryarryarry
March 25, 2012, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Trouble with Duffy is that he just doesn't work hard enough. Was notable that when Elding came on, despite being shorter than Duffy, managed to win a few against Kovacs, he did this by wanting it a bit more than Duffy, he put himself about and ruffled a few feathers, doing more in 30 mins than Duffy did in the previous 60. I'm not one to hate any player, but Duffy simply doesn't cut the mustard.

I agree.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
Abdul19
March 25, 2012, 1:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,639
Gold Stars: 220
All this talk of Luton being there for the taking; to be fair to them, they haven't lost at home in the league since the day we drew at Bath.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
davmariner
March 25, 2012, 1:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,987
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Abdul19
All this talk of Luton being there for the taking; to be fair to them, they haven't lost at home in the league since the day we drew at Bath.

From the sounds of it they were! Having been thumped by Forest Green last tuesday and beaten at home by York in the FA Trophy.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
wigworld
March 25, 2012, 1:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Abdul19

Yesterday was the first goal they've conceded in the league at home, since November.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 63
ska face
March 25, 2012, 2:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,931
Gold Stars: 856
I think we were set up well defensively, packing the middle of the park left them with the only option of going wide and slinging crosses in, and with Miller & Pearson up against Danny Crowe and their other centre forward (who was about 5'9'') that was never a contest we were going to lose. They never got in behind us and the only time McKeown looked troubled was when he got down excellently just before half time. We were unlucky in the fact that probably our most effective outlet last week in Winn took a knock early on and seemed to be struggling a fair bit, he was definitely limping heavily at one point.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
Abdul19
March 25, 2012, 2:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,639
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from wigworld

Yesterday was the first goal they've conceded in the league at home, since November.

Nuff said! You've made my point much better than I did!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
aldi_01
March 25, 2012, 2:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Duffy is better coming of the bench IMO. Wood just isn't good enough...he is an example of how excrement we have been the last few years. We loved him because he put effort in and worked his balderdash off, now we have a better squad with a real right back and players who are better than him he is shown for what he is...a runner. Can't knock effort etc but he isn't a technically gifted player at all and certainly not good enough for midfield. He was non existent.

Elding did well when he came on and KHM settled down after a couple of iffy touches. We could've won it at the end and I think if KHM had played a few more times he would have left the defender for dead and bagged another.

I see Luton bottling it again. Brabin clearly has little tactical awareness and they're fans reactions at the end said a lot...for the possession they had they didn't cause much hassle for us or is it because we have a good back four these days....

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
BIGChris
March 25, 2012, 3:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Wood had a decent game on Tuesday at right back and imo is generally competent there. Yet to see him do anything to support the theory of some that he would boost our midfield
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
Paris Mariner
March 25, 2012, 3:51pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I am literally just back in my flat from the match. I thought it was a negative approach to go 4-5-1 in a must win game. They should have given KHM a o from the start with Elding. Duffy, for me, proved yet again why he's a super-sub and not a starter - he doesn't work hard enough off the ball. The 4-5-1 gave us little outlet up top and Duffy's lack of movement increased this. You could see the difference when Elding came on - we got in the game more. or the first 30 minutes we camped in our half!

Pearson was my MOTM. He won just about everything that came his way. The goal was a nice passing move and finish and I go so carried away with the brilliant atmosphere (during the whole match) that I thought we was going to nick the 3 points at the death. I'll take a point though on reflection.

Lastly, I really enjoyed Luton as an away day. The Bricklayers Arm was a good pub, I enjoyed the quirkiness of the entrance to the away end, the atmosphere from the Town fans was great and I thought both teams (when they had the ball) tried to play good passing football.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 63
80sglory
March 25, 2012, 4:08pm
Guest User
Quoted from BIGChris
Wood had a decent game on Tuesday at right back and imo is generally competent there. Yet to see him do anything to support the theory of some that he would boost our midfield

I agree he's a competent right back - I don't see him making many mistakes there.

One other thing I'll say in his favour is he sometimes provides a sense of urgency, especially when he comes on as sub.
Take York -  he quickly made himself avaliable for the throw in(urgency from throw in's is something we often seem to lack) and didn't waste any time putting the ball in the box resulting in Coulson's headed equaliser.

Last thing I'll say is yes, he may have limitations in midfield but it's not a role he's played very much(will extra games there help ?)and he's put in there to do a particular job i.e. harrying and getting stuck in.
Reply: 48 - 63
arryarryarry
March 25, 2012, 4:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from aldi_01

Brabin clearly has little tactical awareness ....

Unfortunately for an hour or so neither did our managers

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
marinette
March 25, 2012, 5:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Paris Mariner

Lastly, I really enjoyed Luton as an away day.

Yeah, it gets the thumbs up from me too.  Colourful and interesting - there are far more dreary, run-down and depressing places (Burslem and Barrow for a start).  We had time for a wander before the match and the people we encountered seemed friendly enough.  My car was perfectly safe parked in the town centre, and I personally felt much safer than I do in places like London and Liverpool.  I'd go again (if I could afford the petrol).

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 63
aaron rattray
March 25, 2012, 6:24pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
about wood. hes got some pace and that sometimes gets us out of trouble and he wants to do well. i think hes a good player

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
alvinghammariner
March 25, 2012, 7:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
Quoted from 1600

I agree he's a competent right back - I don't see him making many mistakes there.

One other thing I'll say in his favour is he sometimes provides a sense of urgency, especially when he comes on as sub.
Take York -  he quickly made himself avaliable for the throw in(urgency from throw in's is something we often seem to lack) and didn't waste any time putting the ball in the box resulting in Coulson's headed equaliser.

Last thing I'll say is yes, he may have limitations in midfield but it's not a role he's played very much(will extra games there help ?)and he's put in there to do a particular job i.e. harrying and getting stuck in.

I agree that Wood will improve as a midfielder the more he plays there, however I don't think this is the time of the season to experiment.

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
forza ivano
March 26, 2012, 12:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,304
Gold Stars: 266
agree with most of what's been written.
mckeown made 1 great save but the majority of stuff was long range shots straight at him. his distribution wasn't very good and was 1 reason why we had to absorb so much pressure.
thought winn wasn't that bad - 1 plus is his crosses invariably hit the right area.

main point : have s&h explained the reasoning behind their bizarre decision to go 4-5-1 which ,correct me if i'm wrong, we have never played thiss eason?
also why was elding dropped? seems like a gamble that failed to pay off - hope they go back to 4-4-2 with khm up top with elding or duffy
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
Mariner Ronnie
March 26, 2012, 6:14pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
first half - we never really got in the game, luton looked threatening, pearson was outstanding at keeping them at bay,
second half - when elding and KHM was brought on it seemed to have changed everything, what pace KHM has, definately needs to be on from start,
also the atmosphere there was absolutely outstanding, the fans were great in voice

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
marinette
March 26, 2012, 7:48pm
Vodka Drinker
I heard Paul Hurst being interviewed on my way home tonight.  He said KHM did well, but when he was asked if KHM had merited a start, kind of skirted round the issue.  He hinted that ... ahem... 'Liam, Elds and Duffs' were physically a bit stronger than KHM and it also sounded as if Liam would get straight back in the team as soon as he was fit.  Would Liam and KHM make a decent striking partnership?  

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 63
Mariner Ronnie
March 26, 2012, 7:49pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Quoted from marinette
I heard Paul Hurst being interviewed on my way home tonight.  He said KHM did well, but when he was asked if KHM had merited a start, kind of skirted round the issue.  He hinted that ... ahem... 'Liam, Elds and Duffs' were physically a bit stronger than KHM and it also sounded as if Liam would get straight back in the team as soon as he was fit.  Would Liam and KHM make a decent striking partnership?  

it's worth a try i reckon

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
marinette
March 26, 2012, 7:53pm
Vodka Drinker
The impression I got from Hurst was that they think KHM is just a lad learning his trade and he's done well so far and given them something to think about.....but.....?  The 'but' sounded a bit dubious.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 63
pseudonym
March 26, 2012, 8:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from marinette
The impression I got from Hurst was that they think KHM is just a lad learning his trade and he's done well so far and given them something to think about.....but.....?  The 'but' sounded a bit dubious.
Perhaps Scott and Hurst have different opinions on him

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
80sglory
March 26, 2012, 11:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from marinette

Sorry to be a scratched record but...

Think he's saying if he's up against big centre backs or the opposition park the bus, he's probably less likely to be as effective than if the game is open and there's the space for him to run into.

So guess it looks like it's up to S&H to try and work out how Tamworth might approach the game and choose the right team or tactics accordingly.
Reply: 59 - 63
Maringer
March 27, 2012, 9:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,756
Gold Stars: 189
To be fair, when he came on against Tamworth the other week he achieved absolutely nothing. I know he only got 20 minutes or so, but he is pretty lightweight and I agree he may struggle against big, packed defences.

I'm also not convinced that we know how to use pacy players well enough. KHM's goal on Saturday was a good example how to play things, isolating defenders and letting him run on. However, you can't always do that. We used to use Reddy pretty effectively - chip the ball over the defence towards the corners and let him run on to it.

If Tamworth play in a similar way to the game at BP, one thing I would like to see is more shots coming in on goal. With such a packed defence, it doesn't take much for to get a deflection which can creep in. It would also be nice to be more of a threat from corners as we were pretty ineffective against the Lambs the other week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 63
marinerian
March 27, 2012, 10:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Get our full backs taking corners as they are the onlg 2 who can cross

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 63
ticker_1610
March 27, 2012, 11:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Tamworth have as of yesterday signed two loan players from MK Dons, one midfielder and one striker. Interesting to see if they improve a pretty poor team, or struggle to fit in at this level with new team mates and lack of match fitness!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 63
80sglory
March 27, 2012, 2:53pm
Guest User
From watching the MP preview I thought they were brand new too ticker.
But unfortunately they signed on Thursday, played vs Gateshead on Saturday and Baldock apparently did well.  
Won't be an easy game but no doubt we're the better team and we can do it (realistically we have to !)
Reply: 63 - 63
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.