MuddyWaters
February 27, 2012, 11:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from pontoonlew

Who knows? I think the people who are against this are the people who are against Fenty as a whole. Think it's time people put aside their thoughts on Fenty and saw the bigger picture, because it's hampering people's views on it. If this was Parker I am sure a lot of you would have a different opinion.

Whatever anyone's view on Fenty, he is clearly very astute regarding the machinations of a boardroom, however this news should never have been delivered in what is (and I quote from Saturday's interview) 'a due, legal process'
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
Trawler
February 27, 2012, 11:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Which leads you to the next question..what is the benefit of a seat on the board if you don't have the shareholding & financial clout to go with it? You could argue that any chance to put forward the view of the fans is a good one but if you look at the vast range of opinions of people on here as a barometer, you could end up trying to please everybody and end up pleasing nobody.

The benefit IMHO is it's a voice for supporters who have joined the Trust. I trust in the Trust and its members to decide what issues are important and need airing at board level - regardless of the number of opinions.

There has been much debate about our unsustainable budgets in recent weeks. Hopefully a Trust member on the board will also help to ensure that club is run responsibly and is financially sustainable.   I think it is much easier for any insight about the real state of our finances to be gleaned by having someone "on the inside".

As for financial clout hopefully a seat on the board for the Trust means many more fans join the Trust.   A bigger Trust with more annual renewals and with better attended fund raising events will one day yield more financial clout.

Rose-tinted? perhaps.  But we cannot knock it until we have tried it.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 85
MuddyWaters
February 27, 2012, 11:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
I would like to trust the Trust but on the basis of what I am seeing/hearing/reading, it looks like there are way too many spokesmen/women at present to be coherent.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
Chris
February 27, 2012, 11:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I would like to trust the Trust but on the basis of what I am seeing/hearing/reading, it looks like there are way too many spokesmen/women at present to be coherent.

Chris Parker is the Chairman, Graham Precious is the designated communications person which will include interviews from time to time, a responsibility he shares with Chris Parker.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 85
forza ivano
February 27, 2012, 11:40am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,305
Gold Stars: 266
well, well, well.
this is a bit of a bolt from the blue - strange how, when the ballot was sent out, a place on the Board was a distant wish, something that might be considered in the future etc etc.
there then follows a number of people commenting on here that they'll be voting no, because they didn't feel we were getting anything in return for giving up 200,00 shares.many mentioned they felt the trust should have a place on the board, especially as they have far more to offer than messrs elsom and chapman.
then lo and behold a place on the board suddenly becomes available.
looks like the fishy really does run gtfc!!!

what do you think squarkus??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 85
Ipswin
February 27, 2012, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
FFS is there no limit to how low Fenty will go?

What a disgraceful move to announce this in the middle of the 'shares gift' ballot.

Was he that afraid it would be a 'no' vote that he threw this in at the 11th hour?

Or is it yet another one of his 'if you agree to this I'll do that' arm twisting moves

Will the offer stand if it is a 'no' vote ? (highly unlikely after this outrageous 'sweetener') If it has been made dependent on the Trust members voting 'yes' it is totally out of order and shows the man for what he is, in my opinion, a manipulative stop-at-nothing operator

The vote must surely be null and void if there is a chance just one voter has been swayed by this underhand late announcement. It should be put to the membership again after the Trust has taken its place on the board

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 85
MuddyWaters
February 27, 2012, 11:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

What a disgraceful move to announce this in the middle of the 'shares gift' ballot.

Was he that afraid it would be a 'no' vote that he threw this in at the 11th hour?

Or is it yet another one of his 'if you agree to this I'll do that' arm twisting moves

Will the offer stand if it is a 'no' vote ? (highly unlikely after this outrageous 'sweetener') If it has been made dependent on the Trust members voting 'yes' it is totally out of order and shows the man for what he is, in my opinion, a manipulative stop-at-nothing operator

The vote must surely be null and void if there is a chance just one voter has been swayed by this underhand late announcement. It should be put to the membership again after the Trust has taken its place on the board

I was trying to be slightly more tactful but THIS!
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
Trawler
February 27, 2012, 12:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm interested to know your views on the potential benefits of having the Trust on the GTFC board I listed Codger. Agree or disagree?

As for coherence I guess this is subjective. Coherence can be hard to muster when you're relying on the board of GTFC to be singing from the same hymn sheet.

And it's easy to forget that the Trust board is totally voluntary in nature and there are going to be hiccups along the way.  This is a relatively new board who were immediately called on to deal with the biggest events in the Trust's short life.  Under those conditions I think they have dealt with things pretty coherently.

Your definition of spokesmen/women is unclear - do you mean to say there are too many Trust board members on the Fishy?

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
forza ivano
February 27, 2012, 12:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,305
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Ipswin

i think you're probably right ipswin - it's both a carrot and stick proposal, and he's done it because he was getting nervous ; he obviously reads the fishy and indeed it has been suggested he even posts on here. the third way option - i.e. vote no, but that it could be a yes if the trust was offered more has got quite a bit of support on here, and after gobby's thread more and more interesting/difficult questions were being asked.i'll repeat the point i've made previously - jf desperately wants those shares and that control, and i thought that he'd have more to offer if pushed.
and i think i'd agree that the ballot process has been corrupted. a re-ballot would also keep up the pressure on him, which would be no bad thing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 85
Coley Surfer
February 27, 2012, 12:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Who has actually made this offer to the Trust? John Fenty is not in a position to offer a seat on the board is he? as he himself is only a board member and not Chairman. Surely any new board members have to be approved by the shareholders at an AGM or EGM. What is a non-executive position? Is anything the Trust suggest to be thrown out by the rest of the board using what used to be the Trusts shares against them.

Although I would love to see the Trust have a proper seat on the board, I just see this as an attempt to sway the upcoming vote, and even with the Trust sitting in at board meetings etc. they will still actually be powerless to influence anything.

So here I am once more in the playground of the broken hearts
One more experience, one more entry in a diary, self-penned
Yet another emotional suicide overdosed on sentiment and pride
Too late to say I love you, too late to re-stage the play
Abandoning the relics in my playground of yesterday
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust - Seat on GTFC Board

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.