nickmariners
February 24, 2012, 4:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from gobby

Is there not a Town called Lincoln on the same road going towards the falls?
UTMM

That whole area near Burlington and Hamilton was settled by Empire Loyalists and is full of Lincolnshire town and river names -- worked there once and visited a few times, inc Grimsby.

Apparently, Niagara Falls is modelled on the waterfall feature down Cleethorpes seafront....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
American Mariner
February 24, 2012, 5:03pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Apparently, Niagara Falls is modelled on the waterfall feature down Cleethorpes seafront.... [/quote]

Haa Haa made me laughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
Tinymariner
February 24, 2012, 6:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Cayman_mariner

Yeah I have, my missus best mate is from Toronto and they used to live there so we took a trip down there(if you ever go to Toronto is on the way to Niagra falls) and stopped for a Maccy D's and checked it out.  Was a pretty little town to be fair, some lovely houses and a pretty nice area - none of the locals recognised the Town top though.

It was good seeing you again recently Mike, Ive got loads of mates now living in Canada so Ill have to come over for a visit at some point. Ill give you a bell when I do mate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
Cayman_mariner
February 24, 2012, 7:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Tinymariner

It was good seeing you again recently Mike, Ive got loads of mates now living in Canada so Ill have to come over for a visit at some point. Ill give you a bell when I do mate.

You too Tiny, please do, be great to grab a few beers and catch up, will PM you my email address.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
grimps
February 24, 2012, 8:43pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,188
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from nickmariners

That whole area near Burlington and Hamilton was settled by Empire Loyalists and is full of Lincolnshire town and river names -- worked there once and visited a few times, inc Grimsby.

Apparently, Niagara Falls is modelled on the waterfall feature down Cleethorpes seafront....

Do they ever chuck a bottle of washing up liquid in it like we used when we was kids ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
mariner91
February 24, 2012, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,838
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from immariner
It's always fascinated me how people can just up-sticks and root themselves somewhere so far away and unfamiliar (though of course you have the language there at least), far away from loved ones and things you love (watching the might Mariners). Obviously there's much more to life than sticking to what you know and I can't wait to travel as much as possible. Obviously if a great opportunity came up to live abroad I'd almost certainly feel differently, though I couldn't see myself living anywhere else in the States than New England as I love history and historic architecture too much. I'd go for a year; any of you offer free lodge?

I agree, I'd love to live in New England but not fussed about the rest of the states.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
alvinghammariner
February 25, 2012, 2:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
Visited NY, Washington, Orlando and Boston, I love visiting the states, but i couldn't live there permanently. Going back to boston in a few weeks and I want to visit San Diego fairly soon

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
Caementarius
February 25, 2012, 5:17pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Mariners fan in Williamsburg Virginia here.  Interesting read on everyone's time spent in the States - whether due to family relations, or job, or just visiting.  I'm a half-breed myself - half Limey and half Yank.  Mom is from Grimsby (WWII war bride); Dad is from Texas - quite the combination if I do say so.  Seaside gal moves to small farm in Texas - it didn't exactly work out so Dad got back in Army and the rest is history.  They live outside of Atlanta Georgia in Jonesboro.  I joined the service (Air Force) and retired in 2006 and settled in Williamsburg.  A ton of English history here - some good (Jamestown and Williamsburg) and some not so good (Yorktown) but a great area if you like the combination of history and the water.  Was posted to Bristol from 90-94 (worked for AF at BAe and RR) and visited relatives in Grimsby and other places as often as I could.  Saw a few matches at Blundell Park - especially remember cup tie versus I beleive Aston Villa in the 92-93 timeframe.  My son was an AV fan so was quite the treat - place was packed - great excitement but Mariners couldn't quite pull it off.  Good memories but now I'm an internet fan - check results all the time.  Not a good showing versus YC today but with injuries, player cup-ties, and the suspension, things will get back to 'normal' quick enough.  Let's Go Mariners - back to the League!           
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
USAMariner
February 29, 2012, 10:11pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
^ not too far from me really - just a couple of hours

Been her 12 years now and enjoying it a great deal. Only miss the pub and Town, plus famly & friend but not homesick. Been 11 years since I've been home.

Last visit at Blundell Park was against Palace when we came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2

It's better to be judged by twelve, than it is to be carried by six
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › any GTFC fans in the United States

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.