Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › john fenty re elected to board.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 215 Guests

john fenty re elected to board.

This thread currently has 8,017 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
twitterman
November 24, 2011, 11:02pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Quoted from sonik

Grow up for crying out loud.  If you was a shareholder and able to attend you would see that this football club of ours need John to be involved. I and many thank him for that. Another thread twisted to slate him!  Why would he want to be Chairman again? Give credit where it's due and not continually bang on with your negative slant on things.  Sad day for the club my backside!  UTM!

Nothing like having rose tinted glasses on is there??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 82
DJ Mera
November 24, 2011, 11:09pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +18 / 0
Approval: +1
Quoted from 1600

Surely the question is, how much help does he require ?

We all know one source of potential investment is the fans themselves.

I sympathise with JF's predicament (I do sincerely thank him for his continued financial support) but if he's reluctant to give others a say, can he really expect them to (at least help) share the financial burden LONG TERM ?

I understand loyal fans will contribute to GTST etc but how long will supporters keep digging deep without any real say whilst GTST make their decisions in the "interests of the club" ? (which is always subjective in the eyes of supporters)

We all heard from GTST that Mike Parker's offer of shares gave fans "a real opportunity" but what opportunity does it give in reality ?
Maybe something will be announced by GTST later but I just can't see how these shares make a blind bit of difference.

A place on the board might be one option but whatever the amount was to gain a seat on the board, it sounded a lot !
And it's only a one-off payment anyway ?
Besides which, would ONE seat make a difference to a 1 person 1 vote situation anyway ?

Surely you create a lot more LONG TERM incentive and involvement for every fan to part with their cash if there's a real structure where every fans decision and contribution has an impact ?

There has to be some way EVERY single Town fan can contribute to get THEIR say in the club.
I don't mean "democracy" - that's 2 wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner.

My idea/vision would simply be, allow every fan their OWN opportunity to say where THEIR money went - whether it be on e.g. improving faclities, buying players, supporting the youth team, appointing a director of football etc.
You can't get better direct democracy than that !

It avoids the issue of hierachical "democracy" where the minority's wishes are never represented and the society board have the ultimate say even if the membership all vote yes.

Sure it might be peanuts to start off with, but the priniciple of the IDEA that supporters MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS would engage them and grow (as opposed to dwindle away like GTST did last time.)
Even if it's only e.g. £200,000/year it's better than £0/year ?
And just think, how many stayaways might come back ?

IMO the possibilities are endless and if you can capture the imagination of 5000 people as opposed to a hard core of 1500 you've a much better chance of pushing forward at all levels.

Sure it raises issues, questions and needs thought and talking through but what's the alternative ?
Create a sense of obligation for a dwindling number of fans to be loyal, generous and cross your fingers it works ?
The carrot is always better than the stick...

At the end of the day if you want the club to be part sustainable/fan funded in the long term surely you can't have it both ways ?

In all seriousness unless GTST come up with something concrete, maybe they should gift their shares to JF as a gesture of goodwill to strengthen the working relationship, put majority shareholding back inside the boardroom and concentrate solely on representing supporters as opposed to worrying over what Fenty might do and what's best for the club.
If these shares don't provide any real advantage for supporters interests then why not ?

I don't expect you'll reply Chris, but you were the one who said you wanted new ideas and people to help out in any way they could.
Or have you and GTST got a better idea ?

Like Ebbsfleet Utd. then ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 82
lew chaterleys lover
November 24, 2011, 11:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from sonik

I can't see anyone else willing to put themselves or their money on the line to save our Club. Please. If you have a chance watch the AGM on Mariners Player and then make your own judgement.  Do you see an alternative waiting in the wings?  I don't!

I am sorry but how on earth can anything you say be taken seriously?

I dont mean that nastily,but he is your brother for goodness sake and you simply cannot be objective.

I would be very proud to have you as a brother as your support is unwavering.

Trouble is,the fans,the people who really matter,have seen their famous old club brought to its knees under the watch of this chairman,whilst clubs a fraction of our size,history,pedigree have gone from strength to strength because they have been run in a competent manner and have invested in what matters - quality players.

You do realize that barring one good cup result,this season has been as bad as all the rest??

We dont want to be consumed by boardroom politics and on a life support machine forever-we want a LEAGUE club to be proud of.

Can your brother deliver that by doing precisely the same as he has done before?

If however,you see a future where he continues to subsidise the mismanagement of the club and we should be thankful for having a club at all,then  I guess were stuck with it.      

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 82
ticker_1610
November 24, 2011, 11:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Some people just feel the need to express I'll founded opinions. Why can't they see NO ONE has come forward willing to move the club forward. No matter what you think JF is not I repeat not out to deliberately destroy the club. He's admitted he has made mistakes and our situation hurts him as much as any other fan. Let's get behind the trust and club and leave those perpetual snipers n conspiracy merchants to moan amongst themselves. They don't really even deserve a response to their constant drivel n mean mouthed theories to them selves!!! UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 82
LeightonMariner
November 24, 2011, 11:39pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Allegedly bigsleazy came forward (hope the ex chairman ducked in time) but then retreated in deference to the person he's been slagging off for 3 years.

When in doubt, start a conspiracy theory  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 82
80sglory
November 25, 2011, 12:28am
Guest User
Quoted from DJ Mera
Like Ebbsfleet Utd. then ?

Really, how do they operate ?
If you can shed any light on it I'd be grateful cos I don't know.
Reply: 55 - 82
davmariner
November 25, 2011, 1:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from 1600

Really, how do they operate ?
If you can shed any light on it I'd be grateful cos I don't know.

Think he's referring to this 80s.

Quoted Text
Since February 2008, the club has been owned by the web-based venture MyFootballClub, whose members may vote on team selection and player transfers, instead of those decisions being made exclusively by the club's management and staff as at most other clubs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebbsfleet_United_F.C.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 82
80sglory
November 25, 2011, 1:44am
Guest User
Cheers davmariner !  

Picking the team wasn't what I personally had in mind, but any idea is always a good idea.  
Not sure Scott and Hurst would be too happy though !  

Thoughts ? (if I dare ask !)

Here's a question then - as a fan, what would you be prepared to put your hand in your pocket to pay for ?

Here's mine.... (to name a few)

Youth team (already have)
Better catering
Signing a player
Keeping a player
Putting on a reserve fixture
Reply: 57 - 82
aldi_01
November 25, 2011, 7:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Aside from the personal abuse, those with rose tinted specs and the like...He is back, we all know we need his money and as pointed out, there isn't anyone waiting to waste their money on the club like he does so fair play to him.

This was the most unsurprising news in GTFC history as far as i'm concerned, this was only going to happen and eventually I am sure he will become chairman once again...

In reality, all the fans want to know is why he has seemingly never sought advice before appointing one of his many failed managers, why we keep wasting money on stuff to do with the new ground and why the club keeps losing money yet there is little or no improvement on the pitch...

The slagging off is a simple reaction for some, myself included and many others at times and then the complete overkill of support is another but just ask the simple questions because they are the questions with the answers we all want to know...we are in a catch 22, GTFC needs John Fenty but GTFC could do without the one common factor in our downfall..

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 82
shareholder
November 25, 2011, 10:12am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yes, the club needs your brother, if only for the cash. What the club needs is a proper, thought-out, reasoned business plan. Not written on the back of  a postage stamp, not a series of knee-jerk reactions - a sensible, achievable, costed & budgeted plan that can be adhered to.

Such as what??? a football team that can give us some football fortune and oh by the way whilst and up until that day we need to keep paying our bills giving us the opportunity and hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › john fenty re elected to board.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.