Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 24, 2011, 11:25am
fenty re elected to board but unsure he wants to be chairman as power now lies outside the club..

all according to JT on twitter.
Posted by: STB, November 24, 2011, 11:29am; Reply: 1
Possibly the worst news I've heard in over a decade.
Anyway, no point moaning, there's nothing we can do about it.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 24, 2011, 11:29am; Reply: 2
Someone twist his arm then
Posted by: Quagmire, November 24, 2011, 11:54am; Reply: 3
Why is there this supposed necessity for Fenty to be Chairman?
Posted by: Quagmire, November 24, 2011, 12:01pm; Reply: 4
Incidentally if he wants power to return to within the club then maybe he should convert his loans into shares?  It's far better for GTFC if his investment is in shares rather than loans anyway.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 24, 2011, 12:09pm; Reply: 5
slightly good news IMO, when he was gone, we was worring about the money side of things, now he back, we have a bit of stability
Posted by: gtfc98, November 24, 2011, 12:10pm; Reply: 6
They're 'friendly' loans, trust him he'd never recall them, honest. So what would be the point in converting them to shares ;) has anyone got a spare can of worms?
Posted by: marinerjase, November 24, 2011, 12:28pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
slightly good news IMO, when he was gone, we was worring about the money side of things, now he back, we have a bit of stability

gone? don't think he's been anywhere..
Posted by: supertown, November 24, 2011, 12:29pm; Reply: 8
Good
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 24, 2011, 12:36pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from marinerjase

gone? don't think he's been anywhere..

RE elected
Posted by: marinerjase, November 24, 2011, 12:53pm; Reply: 10
I'm aware of that..never mind, went right over your head.
Posted by: upthestripes, November 24, 2011, 12:58pm; Reply: 11
I thought the election was for chairmanship, not just to be back on the board.
Good news anyway.
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 24, 2011, 1:04pm; Reply: 12
I think the last few months have proved we need Fenty; good news.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 24, 2011, 1:06pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Quagmire
Why is there this supposed necessity for Fenty to be Chairman?

Why, do you know somebody else who's willing to fund the club in the future?
Posted by: Keelbysaint, November 24, 2011, 1:07pm; Reply: 14
unfortunately the club needs life support to survive at the moment, and there are not many people willing to give it to us
Posted by: Quagmire, November 24, 2011, 1:09pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Les Brechin

Why, do you know somebody else who's willing to fund the club in the future?

So unless he's Chairman he cannot continue to loan the club money?
Posted by: upthestripes, November 24, 2011, 1:27pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Quagmire

Talk about having your cake and eating it!
Posted by: Quagmire, November 24, 2011, 2:02pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from upthestripes

Talk about having your cake and eating it!

And the difference between him lending the club money, to cover his mismanagement, as a Director rather than Chairman is what upthestripes??
Posted by: upthestripes, November 24, 2011, 2:52pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Quagmire

And the difference between him lending the club money, to cover his mismanagement, as a Director rather than Chairman is what upthestripes??

Sorry Quagmire  I went storming in there wth the wrong end of the stick, my apologies. Because the thread is about him being back on the board I somehow interpreted that as meaning him being off the board while still financing the club. Again my mistake and apologies.
Posted by: Perkins, November 24, 2011, 3:00pm; Reply: 19
Anyone know if Parker is at the AGM?. Hav'nt seen many posts from the "Parker is the Saviour" brigade of late.
Posted by: Quagmire, November 24, 2011, 3:10pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from upthestripes

Sorry Quagmire  I went storming in there wth the wrong end of the stick, my apologies. Because the thread is about him being back on the board I somehow interpreted that as meaning him being off the board while still financing the club. Again my mistake and apologies.

No need to apologise UTS. I'm a little bit argumentative at the minute.
Posted by: Squarkus, November 24, 2011, 3:16pm; Reply: 21
What a treat, new players, getting rid of some sh-t, still in the cup, FENTY for PM, what a week, im glad to see people are comming to there sences, we only have JF and where lucky to have him after all the sh-t he has had to put up with, this is a new dawn, the town are going up.
Posted by: BIGChris, November 24, 2011, 3:38pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Perkins
Anyone know if Parker is at the AGM?. Hav'nt seen many posts from the "Parker is the Saviour" brigade of late.

Mike Parker was NOT at the AGM and John Fenty said that he didnt expect MP to have any involment in the club going forward other than as a (still) substantial shareholder
Posted by: Perkins, November 24, 2011, 3:52pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from BIGChris

Mike Parker was NOT at the AGM and John Fenty said that he didnt expect MP to have any involment in the club going forward other than as a (still) substantial shareholder

I just don't get it with Parker, i still don't understand why anyone with a substantial shareholding does not want  to have any involvement with the club.
Posted by: BIGChris, November 24, 2011, 3:54pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Perkins

I just don't get it with Parker, i still don't understand why anyone with a substantial shareholding does not want or to have any involvement with the club.

I'm with you on that one. I still dont understand the thought process of why he gifted £500,000 shares to The Supporters Trust.
Posted by: marinerjase, November 24, 2011, 3:57pm; Reply: 25
To annoy Fenty?
Posted by: Squarkus, November 24, 2011, 4:26pm; Reply: 26
MP after making himself look like a night in shinning he has run off like a gazelle, we wont see the whites of his eyes, yet Fenty stands up to be counted.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, November 24, 2011, 4:30pm; Reply: 27
I can't call MP because he has given such an amazing gift to us fans but having JF still on board we still still have a fighting chance of surviving.
Posted by: Garth, November 24, 2011, 5:15pm; Reply: 28
Good day today new players, still int cup! and big John re crowned, WHA--AAAA   UTM
Posted by: alvinghammariner, November 24, 2011, 5:42pm; Reply: 29
I don't think the emphasis should be on finding someone to pump money in to cover losses, more finding people that can budget and not get us to lose 900k a year. In the very short term this is good news as it should see us over until we can find someone who can find a way to run the club sustainably.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 24, 2011, 6:00pm; Reply: 30
MP is not a well man at the moment so ive heard and i would imagine the last thing on his mind is the stress of running a football club?
Posted by: aldi_01, November 24, 2011, 6:02pm; Reply: 31
Is anyone actually surprised by this??? It's been on the cards since this whole shambles started.

Yes John, I thank you for your money but I can't help but think buggerall has and will change. Poor boardroom decisions will be made and the team is still pretty poor so we are still where we were weeks ago.

Hey ho though, we're still the cup...
Posted by: cardiffmariner, November 24, 2011, 6:03pm; Reply: 32
This is a great moment, but only because Fenty hasn't returned as chairman.

It still feels like he is playing some kind of politicians game. He has had in excess of a month to consider his position and the position of others and decide how he is going to present himself at this AGM.  So why is he 'unsure' about whether he wants the role of chairman? His comments seem vague and, in my mind, continue to leave the club in limbo.

There is nothing surprising about today and the boardroom games continue.  Not good for anyone.
Posted by: BIGChris, November 24, 2011, 6:27pm; Reply: 33
The other two Directors were invited to speak;

John Elsom said he is now 72 years of age and never expected to be in position of one of only 3 directors. He joined as a non executive director ( i think we all know this was to safeguard his position on the FA Council or other such body). He has thus far put in £75k and cannot put in anymore. His income is limited he told the shareholders. He also said at present he couldnt resign because that would leave the club without a quorum.

Mike Chapman owns 500 shares. He firmly declined the invitation to speak.

The board really do need some help. They want investment, i understand that, but I feel they also need some new faces with ideas and drive to share the load. JF is reluctant to give others a say unless they help with the financial burden. That isnt an unreasonable stance perhaps but the club needs people to help out the club in whatever way.

JF did say negotiations had been entered into with a group who would take over JF's shares and inject £5-10m into the club. When the club asked for some evidence of funds the investors disappeared!!!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 24, 2011, 6:32pm; Reply: 34
Sad day for the club and no light at then end of the tunnel.

Drop the debt! Fenty out
Posted by: sonik, November 24, 2011, 6:59pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Sad day for the club and no light at then end of the tunnel.

Drop the debt! Fenty out

Grow up for crying out loud.  If you was a shareholder and able to attend you would see that this football club of ours need John to be involved. I and many thank him for that. Another thread twisted to slate him!  Why would he want to be Chairman again? Give credit where it's due and not continually bang on with your negative slant on things.  Sad day for the club my backside!  UTM!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 24, 2011, 7:04pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from sonik

Grow up for crying out loud.  If you was a shareholder and able to attend you would see that this football club of ours need John to be involved. I and many thank him for that. Another thread twisted to slate him!  Why would he want to be Chairman again? Give credit where it's due and not continually bang on with your negative slant on things.  Sad day for the club my backside!  UTM!

Yes, the club needs your brother, if only for the cash. What the club needs is a proper, thought-out, reasoned business plan. Not written on the back of  a postage stamp, not a series of knee-jerk reactions - a sensible, achievable, costed & budgeted plan that can be adhered to.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 24, 2011, 7:12pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from sonik

ive been told parker has just had a pacemaker fitted and the whole episode has made him very ill so we certainly do need your brothers money to keep afloat
Posted by: sonik, November 24, 2011, 7:14pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yes, the club needs your brother, if only for the cash. What the club needs is a proper, thought-out, reasoned business plan. Not written on the back of  a postage stamp, not a series of knee-jerk reactions - a sensible, achievable, costed & budgeted plan that can be adhered to.

Sorry Old Codger.  This question was asked and explained very well IMHO.  The whole of the AGM will be on Mariners Player soon so you will be able to judge for yourself if more than a postage stamp was required or used!
Posted by: cardiffmariner, November 24, 2011, 7:20pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from sonik

No it hasn't, people have just expressed opposing views about the thread's topic.

Disagree. Fine. But you are the one twisting the thread and starting to become abusive.  John wouldn't be happy.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 24, 2011, 7:25pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from sonik

Sorry Old Codger.  This question was asked and explained very well IMHO.  The whole of the AGM will be on Mariners Player soon so you will be able to judge for yourself if more than a postage stamp was required or used!

who put the plan together?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 24, 2011, 7:43pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from sonik

I do give him credit, credit for ruining a once football league club and turning it into a struggling conference one!
Maybe you should grow up and realise that not everyone thinks the sun shines out of John's harris!
Posted by: Ipswin, November 24, 2011, 7:58pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from sonik

I suspect Fenty would struggle to plan a night out on the urine quite frankly and whilst his 'ideas' might run to the back of a cigarette packet (as opposed to a postage stamp) they are bound to be sh!te if the last ten years of disasters are anything to go by

We need his money unfortunately but he has absolutely fukall else to offer, could you ask him to sign the cheques and do absolutely nowt else please?In fact could he stay away from Blundell Park completely and just send the money by post?

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 24, 2011, 9:03pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Ipswin

We need his money unfortunately but he has absolutely fukall else to offer, could you ask him to sign the cheques and do absolutely nowt else please?In fact could he stay away from Blundell Park completely and just send the money by post?

if carlsberg did posts.........
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), November 24, 2011, 9:17pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from BIGChris
The board really do need some help. They want investment, i understand that, but I feel they also need some new faces with ideas and drive to share the load. JF is reluctant to give others a say unless they help with the financial burden. That isnt an unreasonable stance perhaps but the club needs people to help out the club in whatever way.

Surely the question is, how much help does he require ?

We all know one source of potential investment is the fans themselves.

I sympathise with JF's predicament (I do sincerely thank him for his continued financial support) but if he's reluctant to give others a say, can he really expect them to (at least help) share the financial burden LONG TERM ?

I understand loyal fans will contribute to GTST etc but how long will supporters keep digging deep without any real say whilst GTST make their decisions in the "interests of the club" ? (which is always subjective in the eyes of supporters)

We all heard from GTST that Mike Parker's offer of shares gave fans "a real opportunity" but what opportunity does it give in reality ?
Maybe something will be announced by GTST later but I just can't see how these shares make a blind bit of difference.

A place on the board might be one option but whatever the amount was to gain a seat on the board, it sounded a lot !
And it's only a one-off payment anyway ?
Besides which, would ONE seat make a difference to a 1 person 1 vote situation anyway ?

Surely you create a lot more LONG TERM incentive and involvement for every fan to part with their cash if there's a real structure where every fans decision and contribution has an impact ?

There has to be some way EVERY single Town fan can contribute to get THEIR say in the club.
I don't mean "democracy" - that's 2 wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner.

My idea/vision would simply be, allow every fan their OWN opportunity to say where THEIR money went - whether it be on e.g. improving faclities, buying players, supporting the youth team, appointing a director of football etc.
You can't get better direct democracy than that !

It avoids the issue of hierachical "democracy" where the minority's wishes are never represented and the society board have the ultimate say even if the membership all vote yes.

Sure it might be peanuts to start off with, but the priniciple of the IDEA that supporters MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS would engage them and grow (as opposed to dwindle away like GTST did last time.)
Even if it's only e.g. £200,000/year it's better than £0/year ?
And just think, how many stayaways might come back ?

IMO the possibilities are endless and if you can capture the imagination of 5000 people as opposed to a hard core of 1500 you've a much better chance of pushing forward at all levels.

Sure it raises issues, questions and needs thought and talking through but what's the alternative ?
Create a sense of obligation for a dwindling number of fans to be loyal, generous and cross your fingers it works ?
The carrot is always better than the stick...

At the end of the day if you want the club to be part sustainable/fan funded in the long term surely you can't have it both ways ?

In all seriousness unless GTST come up with something concrete, maybe they should gift their shares to JF as a gesture of goodwill to strengthen the working relationship, put majority shareholding back inside the boardroom and concentrate solely on representing supporters as opposed to worrying over what Fenty might do and what's best for the club.
If these shares don't provide any real advantage for supporters interests then why not ?

I don't expect you'll reply Chris, but you were the one who said you wanted new ideas and people to help out in any way they could.
Or have you and GTST got a better idea ?
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, November 24, 2011, 10:10pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
I can't call MP because he has given such an amazing gift to us fans but having JF still on board we still still have a fighting chance of surviving.

WHY?
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, November 24, 2011, 10:10pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Quagmire

Bingo! I'm not alone. I was beginning to think everone has had a lobotomy.
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, November 24, 2011, 10:11pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Keelbysaint
unfortunately the club needs life support to survive at the moment, and there are not many people willing to give it to us

So, we've got a fatal wound and the only man who can save us is.....

....the man who stabbed us in the first place.

Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, November 24, 2011, 10:14pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from sonik

Getting away from all the personal abuse being thrown around, will you say in simple words why this football club needs your brother?

Posted by: sonik, November 24, 2011, 10:34pm; Reply: 49

Getting away from all the personal abuse being thrown around, will you say in simple words why this football club needs your brother?

I can't see anyone else willing to put themselves or their money on the line to save our Club. Please. If you have a chance watch the AGM on Mariners Player and then make your own judgement.  Do you see an alternative waiting in the wings?  I don't!
Posted by: twitterman, November 24, 2011, 11:02pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from sonik

Nothing like having rose tinted glasses on is there??
Posted by: DJ Mera, November 24, 2011, 11:09pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from 1600

Surely the question is, how much help does he require ?

We all know one source of potential investment is the fans themselves.

I sympathise with JF's predicament (I do sincerely thank him for his continued financial support) but if he's reluctant to give others a say, can he really expect them to (at least help) share the financial burden LONG TERM ?

I understand loyal fans will contribute to GTST etc but how long will supporters keep digging deep without any real say whilst GTST make their decisions in the "interests of the club" ? (which is always subjective in the eyes of supporters)

We all heard from GTST that Mike Parker's offer of shares gave fans "a real opportunity" but what opportunity does it give in reality ?
Maybe something will be announced by GTST later but I just can't see how these shares make a blind bit of difference.

A place on the board might be one option but whatever the amount was to gain a seat on the board, it sounded a lot !
And it's only a one-off payment anyway ?
Besides which, would ONE seat make a difference to a 1 person 1 vote situation anyway ?

Surely you create a lot more LONG TERM incentive and involvement for every fan to part with their cash if there's a real structure where every fans decision and contribution has an impact ?

There has to be some way EVERY single Town fan can contribute to get THEIR say in the club.
I don't mean "democracy" - that's 2 wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner.

My idea/vision would simply be, allow every fan their OWN opportunity to say where THEIR money went - whether it be on e.g. improving faclities, buying players, supporting the youth team, appointing a director of football etc.
You can't get better direct democracy than that !

It avoids the issue of hierachical "democracy" where the minority's wishes are never represented and the society board have the ultimate say even if the membership all vote yes.

Sure it might be peanuts to start off with, but the priniciple of the IDEA that supporters MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS would engage them and grow (as opposed to dwindle away like GTST did last time.)
Even if it's only e.g. £200,000/year it's better than £0/year ?
And just think, how many stayaways might come back ?

IMO the possibilities are endless and if you can capture the imagination of 5000 people as opposed to a hard core of 1500 you've a much better chance of pushing forward at all levels.

Sure it raises issues, questions and needs thought and talking through but what's the alternative ?
Create a sense of obligation for a dwindling number of fans to be loyal, generous and cross your fingers it works ?
The carrot is always better than the stick...

At the end of the day if you want the club to be part sustainable/fan funded in the long term surely you can't have it both ways ?

In all seriousness unless GTST come up with something concrete, maybe they should gift their shares to JF as a gesture of goodwill to strengthen the working relationship, put majority shareholding back inside the boardroom and concentrate solely on representing supporters as opposed to worrying over what Fenty might do and what's best for the club.
If these shares don't provide any real advantage for supporters interests then why not ?

I don't expect you'll reply Chris, but you were the one who said you wanted new ideas and people to help out in any way they could.
Or have you and GTST got a better idea ?

Like Ebbsfleet Utd. then ?

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 24, 2011, 11:09pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from sonik

I can't see anyone else willing to put themselves or their money on the line to save our Club. Please. If you have a chance watch the AGM on Mariners Player and then make your own judgement.  Do you see an alternative waiting in the wings?  I don't!

I am sorry but how on earth can anything you say be taken seriously?

I dont mean that nastily,but he is your brother for goodness sake and you simply cannot be objective.

I would be very proud to have you as a brother as your support is unwavering.

Trouble is,the fans,the people who really matter,have seen their famous old club brought to its knees under the watch of this chairman,whilst clubs a fraction of our size,history,pedigree have gone from strength to strength because they have been run in a competent manner and have invested in what matters - quality players.

You do realize that barring one good cup result,this season has been as bad as all the rest??

We dont want to be consumed by boardroom politics and on a life support machine forever-we want a LEAGUE club to be proud of.

Can your brother deliver that by doing precisely the same as he has done before?

If however,you see a future where he continues to subsidise the mismanagement of the club and we should be thankful for having a club at all,then  I guess were stuck with it.      

Posted by: ticker_1610, November 24, 2011, 11:10pm; Reply: 53
Some people just feel the need to express I'll founded opinions. Why can't they see NO ONE has come forward willing to move the club forward. No matter what you think JF is not I repeat not out to deliberately destroy the club. He's admitted he has made mistakes and our situation hurts him as much as any other fan. Let's get behind the trust and club and leave those perpetual snipers n conspiracy merchants to moan amongst themselves. They don't really even deserve a response to their constant drivel n mean mouthed theories to them selves!!! UTM.
Posted by: LeightonMariner, November 24, 2011, 11:39pm; Reply: 54
Allegedly bigsleazy came forward (hope the ex chairman ducked in time) but then retreated in deference to the person he's been slagging off for 3 years.
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), November 25, 2011, 12:28am; Reply: 55
Quoted from DJ Mera
Like Ebbsfleet Utd. then ?

Really, how do they operate ?
If you can shed any light on it I'd be grateful cos I don't know.
Posted by: davmariner, November 25, 2011, 1:27am; Reply: 56
Quoted from 1600

Really, how do they operate ?
If you can shed any light on it I'd be grateful cos I don't know.

Think he's referring to this 80s.

Quoted Text
Since February 2008, the club has been owned by the web-based venture MyFootballClub, whose members may vote on team selection and player transfers, instead of those decisions being made exclusively by the club's management and staff as at most other clubs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebbsfleet_United_F.C.
Posted by: 1600 (Guest), November 25, 2011, 1:44am; Reply: 57
Cheers davmariner !  

Picking the team wasn't what I personally had in mind, but any idea is always a good idea.  :)
Not sure Scott and Hurst would be too happy though !  ;D

Thoughts ? (if I dare ask !)

Here's a question then - as a fan, what would you be prepared to put your hand in your pocket to pay for ?

Here's mine.... (to name a few)

Youth team (already have)
Better catering
Signing a player
Keeping a player
Putting on a reserve fixture
Posted by: aldi_01, November 25, 2011, 7:19am; Reply: 58
Aside from the personal abuse, those with rose tinted specs and the like...He is back, we all know we need his money and as pointed out, there isn't anyone waiting to waste their money on the club like he does so fair play to him.

This was the most unsurprising news in GTFC history as far as i'm concerned, this was only going to happen and eventually I am sure he will become chairman once again...

In reality, all the fans want to know is why he has seemingly never sought advice before appointing one of his many failed managers, why we keep wasting money on stuff to do with the new ground and why the club keeps losing money yet there is little or no improvement on the pitch...

The slagging off is a simple reaction for some, myself included and many others at times and then the complete overkill of support is another but just ask the simple questions because they are the questions with the answers we all want to know...we are in a catch 22, GTFC needs John Fenty but GTFC could do without the one common factor in our downfall..
Posted by: shareholder, November 25, 2011, 10:12am; Reply: 59
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Such as what??? a football team that can give us some football fortune and oh by the way whilst and up until that day we need to keep paying our bills giving us the opportunity and hope.
Posted by: cleefish, November 25, 2011, 10:18am; Reply: 60
Quoted from sonik

My self like a very many more fans have had our moan at big John but like you both say who Elsa is there waiting to become involved nobody so welcome back John let us  fans alike get behind club and management and strive to move forward and back into  league football once again.
I think that under S&H we have 2 blokes who want success and are not frightened to put thier mistakes right it is nice to see a few pounds come into the club from our mild sucsess in the cup run be it early but they and the team have so far done us proud well at least I am.UTMM. ;cleefish
Posted by: RonMariner, November 25, 2011, 10:21am; Reply: 61
JF has been very generous, but we really can't expect him to cough up £900k a year.

What we really need is to cut back our spending and get to a balanced budget. That means a big clearout at the end of the season, but long term we need to be self financing. With our fan base we should still be capable of funding a competitive side in the BSP. We get double the gates that some teams do.
Posted by: shareholder, November 25, 2011, 10:25am; Reply: 62
Quoted from Quagmire

I was at the AGM and Mr Fenty said he didn't know if he wanted to be Chairman with all that goes with it and will wait and see.

He said there is still the opportunity for someone to join the board and take up this role.

In terms of his further financial support he was quite clear in that until after the AGM he didn't even know if he would be re-elected and therefore could not have a clear plan until after this.

Furthermore he did say others now have responsibility meaning the GST with their new found fortune and that the Board would be looking for external financial support as he will not close the entire funding gap.

Not once did he say if he is not the chairman that he would not provide funds to the club.

He maintained that control needs to be within the Board Room and i can see this.

The club needs 500k to finish this financial year till May and forecasts a further 500k needed for next season.

Who would provide all of that or most of it, knowing that they could be kicked off of the Board anytime.

Just a few facts as i was there!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 25, 2011, 10:49am; Reply: 63
Quoted from shareholder

Just a few facts as i was there!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh good for you! You don't need to go to an AGM to see what the future holds. More knee-jerk reactions, continued depravation of the ground, continued disengagement with the fans, no reserve team, no academy, part-time football etc.etc.
Posted by: Frontier Psychiatrist, November 25, 2011, 11:35am; Reply: 64
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Oh good for you! You don't need to go to an AGM to see what the future holds. More knee-jerk reactions, continued depravation of the ground, continued disengagement with the fans, no reserve team, no academy, part-time football etc.etc.

How pathetic! Indeed, why bother even listening to the evidence and the other sides of the argument - it's not as if it might help substantiate and develop your own opinion?!

Of course you can still have an opinion without having been to the AGM, but the above poster was just sharing their experience of the meeting - probably thinking it would be of interest to those who couldn't attend, and that it might give the posters on here a little bit more information to inform the discussion.

I'm not overly optimistic about Fenty's continued involvement - his knee-jerk managerial decisions have at times left me feeling completely disengaged (especially the appointment of Newell and the Woods sacking). However, the club needs Fenty at the moment - certainly financially, but probably also in terms of stability until other investors come in.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 25, 2011, 11:43am; Reply: 65

I'm not overly optimistic about Fenty's continued involvement - his knee-jerk managerial decisions have at times left me feeling completely disengaged (especially the appointment of Newell and the Woods sacking). However, the club needs Fenty at the moment - certainly financially, but probably also in terms of stability until other investors come in.

And what potential investors would come in at this point? The only potential ray of light - Mike Parker- has withdrawn from the arena, allegedly due to poor health, and we are left with more of the same where the club and its' assets are at the behest of one man.

Which incidentally, is the point that I first made, there are no arguments to be listened to - we are reliant on one man to keep the club afloat and living in hope that one day we get lucky - not much of a plan is it?
Posted by: Ipswin, November 25, 2011, 12:05pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from shareholder

he was quite clear in that until after the AGM he didn't even know if he would be re-elected and therefore could not have a clear plan until after this.

FFS that in a nutshell is exactly the problem  'could not have a clear plan until after this' (the AGM)

He should never have been re-elected unless he had a clear plan, in fact having a plan which he could lay before the shareholders should be a pre-requisite before anyone even stands for re-election

What is the point in having someone on the board (and almost certainly as Chairman again by the New Year) if he has no plan on how to take the business forward and end the disasterous run which his other 10 'planless' years have caused.

The very least he could have said was 'if I am re-elected I will...', it's a a bit like a political party going into an election without a manifesto but promising to think of one if they win but then of course Fenty knew he would be re-elected whatever he said or didn't say as he has got the club literally by the b@llocks with his benign loans etc.

Posted by: forza ivano, November 25, 2011, 12:09pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And what potential investors would come in at this point? The only potential ray of light - Mike Parker- has withdrawn from the arena, allegedly due to poor health, and we are left with more of the same where the club and its' assets are at the behest of one man.

Which incidentally, is the point that I first made, there are no arguments to be listened to - we are reliant on one man to keep the club afloat and living in hope that one day we get lucky - not much of a plan is it?

i DO see waht you are saying old codger ,but although the get lucky plan might not be much of a plan i , for one, am happy enough for that to be the plan ,until summat better comes along.
i think your plan is basically to have the club run on a non loss making basis so that we didn't have to rely on fenty's charity. that would inevitably result in many redundancies around the club and probably part time football with next to nil youth set up. well it seems to me that the even the worst happened under the fenty watch the result  would be the same as you're advocating. therefore i'll take the hope we get lucky scenario, with the money behind it, coz i'd prefer that to guarenteed years in this god foresaken league that your plan would ensure
Posted by: Frontier Psychiatrist, November 25, 2011, 12:24pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with your bleak outlook for the club - I'm certainly not optimistic, and would echo much of the above quote.  

I just thought you were being a tad harsh on the previous commenter, who was just trying to share what they picked up from the meeting.

And re: your comment on not needing to go to the AGM to tell what the situation is - I just think that anyone's argument can be informed and improived by what goes on at such meetings (even if the overall conclusion remains the same). An argument that's engaged with both sides is always stronger than one where only one perspective has been considered.

I've been to the AGMs of a few local sports clubs (never GTFC though), and - although they have rarely made me change my opinion - they have helped me to understand the context and motives for decisions being made.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 25, 2011, 12:27pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from forza ivano

i DO see waht you are saying old codger ,but although the get lucky plan might not be much of a plan i , for one, am happy enough for that to be the plan ,until summat better comes along.
i think your plan is basically to have the club run on a non loss making basis so that we didn't have to rely on fenty's charity. that would inevitably result in many redundancies around the club and probably part time football with next to nil youth set up. well it seems to me that the even the worst happened under the fenty watch the result  would be the same as you're advocating. therefore i'll take the hope we get lucky scenario, with the money behind it, coz i'd prefer that to guarenteed years in this god foresaken league that your plan would ensure

I don't have access to either the figures or the funds to create a sustainable business out of GTFC - I only wish I did! - therefore I don't have a plan. What I will say, and have done all along, is that there is money being spent that could be cut out of the club's budget. There is also a case to suggest that the board need to look at ways to bring ex-supporters back into the club. We are where we are - 5 points above another relegation place - this is a results based business and the only way to attract more revenue is better results.

If I had the clout that GTST now has, I would have wanted to see some detail as to how the board plan to make the books more balanced and less reliant on JF - surely it's in his interests too?
Posted by: Ipswin, November 25, 2011, 12:35pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If I had the clout that GTST now has, I would have wanted to see some detail as to how the board plan to make the books more balanced and less reliant on JF - surely it's in his interests too?

Really? or could it be that the lack of a plan that might make the club less, and ultimately not at all, reliant on Fenty is exactly what he wants? It might be interpreted that he actually enjoys the control and power he has at BP

Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 25, 2011, 12:44pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Ipswin

Really? or could it be that the lack of a plan that might make the club less, and ultimately not at all, reliant on Fenty is exactly what he wants? It might be interpreted that he actually enjoys the control and power he has at BP

He might enjoy the control and power but surely he would want to minimise his risk or is he prepared to continue funding the club sufficiently until we return to The Football League?
Posted by: Quagmire, November 25, 2011, 12:59pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from shareholder

He maintained that control needs to be within the Board Room and i can see this.

The club needs 500k to finish this financial year till May and forecasts a further 500k needed for next season.

If control needs to be in the Boardroom then why doesn't he convert his loans into shares?  By doing so control can then return to the Boardroom and it, in my opinion, shows that he is optimistic about the future of the club and he has faith in his own ability to turn the club around.

By keeping his investment in loans he could be accused of hedging his bets ie if the club goes to the wall he will get something back if his money is in loans, whereas as a shareholder he won't get anything back.

Personally I would prefer him to make share acquisitions rather than additional directors loans.

Finally, is the 500k needed to get through to the end of the season in addition to the 1 million pound funding requirement that was agreed upon, and which Parker paid his 500k funding which caused this latest debacle, or is it 500k that Fenty promised but is yet to put in?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 25, 2011, 1:50pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Ipswin

Really? or could it be that the lack of a plan that might make the club less, and ultimately not at all, reliant on Fenty is exactly what he wants?

It might be interpreted that he actually enjoys the control and power he has at BP

Careful....speculation about JF's intentions could be negatively construed if you don't have any evidence to back up what you've written  ;)

Posted by: Informer the real one, November 25, 2011, 5:07pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Quagmire

Finally, is the 500k needed to get through to the end of the season in addition to the 1 million pound funding requirement that was agreed upon, and which Parker paid his 500k funding which caused this latest debacle, or is it 500k that Fenty promised but is yet to put in?

As i understand it Qauggy Mr Fenty and Mr Parker jointly agreed to fund the club 50/50. 150k of the 500k Parker put in was for last season and 350k was towards this season.

It appears Mr Parker then left the Board and decided he wanted something tangible and publicly bought 500ks worth of shares. Strictly speaking this is a capital acquisition and not sharing in the losses as was agreed.

I think publicly Mr Fenty has mentioned a broken agreement and at the AGM he has said the club needs 500k more  just to complete the season a tab which some think he and he alone should pay.

Not taking sides, but has there not been a material breakdown? Fenty/Parker agreement 350k each for this season or sharing in the losses of GTFC. It clearly looks like losses being the greater.

Break down/reneging, should he shouldn't he. Well I wouldn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: marinerjase, November 25, 2011, 6:29pm; Reply: 75
So is the Trust position now to help Fenty with financing the club? Or is that not the case?
Posted by: Ipswin, November 25, 2011, 7:51pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from MuddyWaters

is he prepared to continue funding the club sufficiently until we return to The Football League?

No fuker has that much money, the way he runs things he will be

a) bankrupt or
b) dead

long before that happens (if it ever does)

Posted by: Ipswin, November 25, 2011, 7:54pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Careful....speculation about JF's intentions could be negatively construed if you don't have any evidence to back up what you've written  ;)

No problem - conversely it could also be interpreted that he actually hates the control and power he has at BP (I doubt it tho' somehow don't you - I reckon I was closer first time)

Posted by: Meza, November 25, 2011, 11:14pm; Reply: 78
Doesn't it say in the GET that GTFC will not be part time next year, and although he is disappointed with our current position this is the first time we have had a manager(s) that ate striving to bring success to this club which I'm sure we can all agree is a good thing.

Regarding the board I'm sure the trust had no option up allow JF back onto the board there is no-one else.  Are the trust able to sell the shares?  Forgive me but this is a grey area for me.
Posted by: DavidB, November 26, 2011, 1:13am; Reply: 79
Quoted from Meza
Doesn't it say in the GET that GTFC will not be part time next year, and although he is disappointed with our current position this is the first time we have had a manager(s) that ate striving to bring success to this club which I'm sure we can all agree is a good thing.

?!
Posted by: Guttedgate, November 26, 2011, 5:25am; Reply: 80
There is one man who has money to invest in a club and has been looking for sometime, i am just surprised he has not been mentioned beffore. He owns one of the biggest health care companies in the UK and was previously Chair at Aldershot (pre going bust)
He wanted to buy Mansfield but wasnt able to do it his way, i know of him and would suggest the club get in touch with him and have a chat he may well be just what Town is looking for!
His name is Colin Hancock!
Posted by: voice of reason, November 26, 2011, 10:13am; Reply: 81
Quoted from Meza

Regarding the board I'm sure the trust had no option up allow JF back onto the board there is no-one else.  Are the trust able to sell the shares?  Forgive me but this is a grey area for me.

I think he said similar about Mike Newell and Neil Woods, so don't get too excited...
Posted by: upthestripes, November 26, 2011, 1:15pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from Guttedgate
There is one man who has money to invest in a club and has been looking for sometime, i am just surprised he has not been mentioned beffore. He owns one of the biggest health care companies in the UK and was previously Chair at Aldershot (pre going bust)
He wanted to buy Mansfield but wasnt able to do it his way, i know of him and would suggest the club get in touch with him and have a chat he may well be just what Town is looking for!
His name is Colin Hancock!

Why on earth is he looking to invest in a non league club? Does he have too much money?
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 10:28am