Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › john fenty re elected to board.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 138 Guests

john fenty re elected to board.

This thread currently has 7,943 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
cleefish
November 25, 2011, 10:18am
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from sonik

I can't see anyone else willing to put themselves or their money on the line to save our Club. Please. If you have a chance watch the AGM on Mariners Player and then make your own judgement.  Do you see an alternative waiting in the wings?  I don't!

My self like a very many more fans have had our moan at big John but like you both say who Elsa is there waiting to become involved nobody so welcome back John let us  fans alike get behind club and management and strive to move forward and back into  league football once again.
I think that under S&H we have 2 blokes who want success and are not frightened to put thier mistakes right it is nice to see a few pounds come into the club from our mild sucsess in the cup run be it early but they and the team have so far done us proud well at least I am.UTMM. ;cleefish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 82
RonMariner
November 25, 2011, 10:21am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,007
Gold Stars: 216
JF has been very generous, but we really can't expect him to cough up £900k a year.

What we really need is to cut back our spending and get to a balanced budget. That means a big clearout at the end of the season, but long term we need to be self financing. With our fan base we should still be capable of funding a competitive side in the BSP. We get double the gates that some teams do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 82
shareholder
November 25, 2011, 10:25am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Quoted from Quagmire

So unless he's Chairman he cannot continue to loan the club money?

I was at the AGM and Mr Fenty said he didn't know if he wanted to be Chairman with all that goes with it and will wait and see.

He said there is still the opportunity for someone to join the board and take up this role.

In terms of his further financial support he was quite clear in that until after the AGM he didn't even know if he would be re-elected and therefore could not have a clear plan until after this.

Furthermore he did say others now have responsibility meaning the GST with their new found fortune and that the Board would be looking for external financial support as he will not close the entire funding gap.

Not once did he say if he is not the chairman that he would not provide funds to the club.

He maintained that control needs to be within the Board Room and i can see this.

The club needs 500k to finish this financial year till May and forecasts a further 500k needed for next season.

Who would provide all of that or most of it, knowing that they could be kicked off of the Board anytime.

Just a few facts as i was there!!!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 82
MuddyWaters
November 25, 2011, 10:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from shareholder

Just a few facts as i was there!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh good for you! You don't need to go to an AGM to see what the future holds. More knee-jerk reactions, continued depravation of the ground, continued disengagement with the fans, no reserve team, no academy, part-time football etc.etc.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 82
Frontier Psychiatrist
November 25, 2011, 11:35am

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Oh good for you! You don't need to go to an AGM to see what the future holds. More knee-jerk reactions, continued depravation of the ground, continued disengagement with the fans, no reserve team, no academy, part-time football etc.etc.

How pathetic! Indeed, why bother even listening to the evidence and the other sides of the argument - it's not as if it might help substantiate and develop your own opinion?!

Of course you can still have an opinion without having been to the AGM, but the above poster was just sharing their experience of the meeting - probably thinking it would be of interest to those who couldn't attend, and that it might give the posters on here a little bit more information to inform the discussion.

I'm not overly optimistic about Fenty's continued involvement - his knee-jerk managerial decisions have at times left me feeling completely disengaged (especially the appointment of Newell and the Woods sacking). However, the club needs Fenty at the moment - certainly financially, but probably also in terms of stability until other investors come in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 82
MuddyWaters
November 25, 2011, 11:43am
Barley Wine Drinker

I'm not overly optimistic about Fenty's continued involvement - his knee-jerk managerial decisions have at times left me feeling completely disengaged (especially the appointment of Newell and the Woods sacking). However, the club needs Fenty at the moment - certainly financially, but probably also in terms of stability until other investors come in.

And what potential investors would come in at this point? The only potential ray of light - Mike Parker- has withdrawn from the arena, allegedly due to poor health, and we are left with more of the same where the club and its' assets are at the behest of one man.

Which incidentally, is the point that I first made, there are no arguments to be listened to - we are reliant on one man to keep the club afloat and living in hope that one day we get lucky - not much of a plan is it?
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 82
Ipswin
November 25, 2011, 12:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from shareholder

he was quite clear in that until after the AGM he didn't even know if he would be re-elected and therefore could not have a clear plan until after this.

FFS that in a nutshell is exactly the problem  'could not have a clear plan until after this' (the AGM)

He should never have been re-elected unless he had a clear plan, in fact having a plan which he could lay before the shareholders should be a pre-requisite before anyone even stands for re-election

What is the point in having someone on the board (and almost certainly as Chairman again by the New Year) if he has no plan on how to take the business forward and end the disasterous run which his other 10 'planless' years have caused.

The very least he could have said was 'if I am re-elected I will...', it's a a bit like a political party going into an election without a manifesto but promising to think of one if they win but then of course Fenty knew he would be re-elected whatever he said or didn't say as he has got the club literally by the b@llocks with his benign loans etc.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 82
forza ivano
November 25, 2011, 12:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,138
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And what potential investors would come in at this point? The only potential ray of light - Mike Parker- has withdrawn from the arena, allegedly due to poor health, and we are left with more of the same where the club and its' assets are at the behest of one man.

Which incidentally, is the point that I first made, there are no arguments to be listened to - we are reliant on one man to keep the club afloat and living in hope that one day we get lucky - not much of a plan is it?

i DO see waht you are saying old codger ,but although the get lucky plan might not be much of a plan i , for one, am happy enough for that to be the plan ,until summat better comes along.
i think your plan is basically to have the club run on a non loss making basis so that we didn't have to rely on fenty's charity. that would inevitably result in many redundancies around the club and probably part time football with next to nil youth set up. well it seems to me that the even the worst happened under the fenty watch the result  would be the same as you're advocating. therefore i'll take the hope we get lucky scenario, with the money behind it, coz i'd prefer that to guarenteed years in this god foresaken league that your plan would ensure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 82
Frontier Psychiatrist
November 25, 2011, 12:24pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with your bleak outlook for the club - I'm certainly not optimistic, and would echo much of the above quote.  

I just thought you were being a tad harsh on the previous commenter, who was just trying to share what they picked up from the meeting.

And re: your comment on not needing to go to the AGM to tell what the situation is - I just think that anyone's argument can be informed and improived by what goes on at such meetings (even if the overall conclusion remains the same). An argument that's engaged with both sides is always stronger than one where only one perspective has been considered.

I've been to the AGMs of a few local sports clubs (never GTFC though), and - although they have rarely made me change my opinion - they have helped me to understand the context and motives for decisions being made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 82
MuddyWaters
November 25, 2011, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

i DO see waht you are saying old codger ,but although the get lucky plan might not be much of a plan i , for one, am happy enough for that to be the plan ,until summat better comes along.
i think your plan is basically to have the club run on a non loss making basis so that we didn't have to rely on fenty's charity. that would inevitably result in many redundancies around the club and probably part time football with next to nil youth set up. well it seems to me that the even the worst happened under the fenty watch the result  would be the same as you're advocating. therefore i'll take the hope we get lucky scenario, with the money behind it, coz i'd prefer that to guarenteed years in this god foresaken league that your plan would ensure

I don't have access to either the figures or the funds to create a sustainable business out of GTFC - I only wish I did! - therefore I don't have a plan. What I will say, and have done all along, is that there is money being spent that could be cut out of the club's budget. There is also a case to suggest that the board need to look at ways to bring ex-supporters back into the club. We are where we are - 5 points above another relegation place - this is a results based business and the only way to attract more revenue is better results.

If I had the clout that GTST now has, I would have wanted to see some detail as to how the board plan to make the books more balanced and less reliant on JF - surely it's in his interests too?
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › john fenty re elected to board.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.