14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Paddymariner
September 10, 2010, 1:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from scrumble
A review of the comments on this board over the last few months.

"Ticket prices are too high, it's ridiculous for non-league"

"Fenty should spend more money on players"

"Dave Moore as physio is just  a cheap option to save money. Booo"

and now in this thread we have

"We need to make more cuts to make the club financially sound"

So the club needs to reduce its income, throw money at players, but also reduce its expenses. Even Gordon Broon would struggle to blag his way through that.

Which is why he is unemployed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 130
pier39
September 10, 2010, 2:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Quoted from sonik

Very very true!   Words fail me at times like this.  I really can't be bothered to reply to most on here lately and read the forum daily.  We have a club to support and hopefully one on the up at last.  By god does John, Mike and others deserve some luck and footballing fortune to help on the way.

Onwards and upwards.  UTM!!

christ i feel soooo sorry for john hes the architect of this mess we find ourselves in,course he props it all up financially but consistent bad decisions by him are costing him a lot of dollar bet he wished hed kept slade or even re employed him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 130
BIGChris
September 10, 2010, 2:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from pier39

christ i feel soooo sorry for john hes the architect of this mess we find ourselves in,course he props it all up financially but consistent bad decisions by him are costing him a lot of dollar bet he wished hed kept slade or even re employed him

I bet he doesn't!
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 130
pier39
September 10, 2010, 2:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Quoted from BIGChris

I bet he doesn't!

we are non league FFS and in the last 3 seasons our win ratio is laughable,do you honestly chris think woods was the right man for the job last season when he couldnt win a match in caretaker charge?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 130
moosey_club
September 10, 2010, 2:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from scrumble
A review of the comments on this board over the last few months.

"Ticket prices are too high, it's ridiculous for non-league"

"Fenty should spend more money on players"

"Dave Moore as physio is just  a cheap option to save money. Booo"

and now in this thread we have

"We need to make more cuts to make the club financially sound"

So the club needs to reduce its income, throw money at players, but also reduce its expenses. Even Gordon Broon would struggle to blag his way through that.

While i see your point there is a flaw...

JF sets the budgets for the forthcoming season based on a financial model balanced against required achievement.
Predicted income forms the basis of the financial model which is based upon predicted and historical gate receipts, sponsorship, commercial activity etc, so this figure becomes the budget limit to spend, you spend the anticipated income and theoretically if all works out you break even.
Where i believe the mistakes have been made are in the predicted income from gate receipts which have fallen short of the mark. It was within the last couple of seasons while we were in the current downward spiral that JF announced that we needed to average 5000 at home to break even, there was even a telegraph campaign i believe.
Now if we needed 5000 average to break even and were not achieving that then the financial model was flawed, so you are losing money every game you dont hit the predicted average. Add to that the additional over the predicted budget spend come January when we have been strengthening the team with loans, signings etc as the initial budget spend team were boll@cks and looking like relegation then you have further trouble, add to that even lower attendance as performances are poor makes you further out on the predicted model and losing even more money per week and the cherry on top is the offers and promotions to get a crowd in, even less buck per head creating further mis alignment with original.
In a nutshell....set a realistic budget reflecting the actual achievable attendance, do not include football fortune windfall as a maybe, stick to it. It is the only way the club has any chance of managing its way out of debt and becoming self sustaining.
People ask how can Hayes, Histon, Tamworth etc survive on measly gates, the answer could be they cut their cloth accordingly and prudently manage their finances.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 130
theicenian
September 10, 2010, 2:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.00
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from moosey_club

The most comical and worrying factor though, considering he is a businessman, is his lack of responce to the first question, what are you doing to minimise the costs of the club with the current year on year losses.......hoping for a cup run!!! FFS. I would have been slightly more reassured if he had said "well i buy a lottery ticket every week, sometimes two when its a rollover"  

While always supporting JF as he has flushed plenty of his own money on Town the last couple of seasons have seen some odd strategies and statements from him. Hopefully Mike Parker can take some of the strain and add another perspective to the financial plans of the club.

I would really like to see your alternative business plan.   You should keep in mind as a fan I require cheaper admission and better players on the pitch and naturally I would like to see a premiership type manager and backroom staff please.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 130
barralad
September 10, 2010, 2:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from moosey_club

People ask how can Hayes, Histon, Tamworth etc survive on measly gates, the answer could be they cut their cloth accordingly and prudently manage their finances.

I'm not really sure I understand all of the financial stuff that has gone into this thread. In fact it makes my brain hurt....

However speaking as a lay person wouldn't it be easier to manage their finances if their expectations are lower than say ours? I don't know much about the others but I simply refuse to believe that Histon have got to where they are simply by managing their finances well. John Beck has recently left them because allegedly the board wouldn't back him with money. As I understand it they had the financial input of a very wealthy benefactor who has now put the brakes on.
I'd guess all three of the teams you quote would be thinking they'd "achieved" merely by staying in the Conference. Much like we were when we were regular features in the Championship (AKA Division 2). We however cannot be happy with anything but a concerted effort to restore our football league status so the potential for risk taking increases because the rewards are potentially greater.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 130
Denby
September 10, 2010, 2:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +12 / -2
good post, moosey
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 130
theicenian
September 10, 2010, 2:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.00
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from Denby
good post, moosey

How many more times do you need to be told Denby.   You have to keep quite or your on the naughty step for a week.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 130
Maringer
September 10, 2010, 2:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Paddymariner
[/b]

Which is why he is unemployed.

Erm, so being an MP doesn't count as a job then? I'm confused.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 130
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › GTFC Huge loss

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.