BIGChris
September 10, 2010, 3:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from pier39

we are non league FFS and in the last 3 seasons our win ratio is laughable,do you honestly chris think woods was the right man for the job last season when he couldnt win a match in caretaker charge?

Nobody mentioned Woods. You posted that you bet that Fenty wished he had re-engaged Slade as manager.

I posted that I bet he doesnt for the simple reason that JF would never have re-appoited him IMO. You can't regret something that you would have never have comtemplated!
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 130
Paddymariner
September 10, 2010, 3:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from Maringer

Erm, so being an MP doesn't count as a job then? I'm confused.

Oh I thought he'd done the honourable thing and retired. On second thoughts, honorable and Brown.........nah!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 130
Garth
September 10, 2010, 3:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from sonik

Very very true!   Words fail me at times like this.  I really can't be bothered to reply to most on here lately and read the forum daily.  We have a club to support and hopefully one on the up at last.  By god does John, Mike and others deserve some luck and footballing fortune to help on the way.

Onwards and upwards.  UTM!!

I think its true to say Sonic that the majority of GTFC fans do appreciate the efforts of the board, as we all know talks cheap if its not your money thats being spent.

Some people on here may live to regret their selfish comments when this town fails to have a football club, at this moment in time we are scrambling our way up after hitting rock bottom and if it continues the good times are not too far away.

Finally I would say that JF has had some cruel luck in appointing Newel and trusting him with the fortunes of this club, and the truthful ones amongst us thought at the time that Newel was the next Mark 1 Buckley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 130
sonik
September 10, 2010, 3:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Garth

I think its true to say Sonic that the majority of GTFC fans do appreciate the efforts of the board, as we all know talks cheap if its not your money thats being spent.

Some people on here may live to regret their selfish comments when this town fails to have a football club, at this moment in time we are scrambling our way up after hitting rock bottom and if it continues the good times are not too far away.

Finally I would say that JF has had some cruel luck in appointing Newel and trusting him with the fortunes of this club, and the truthful ones amongst us thought at the time that Newel was the next Mark 1 Buckley

Thanks. Nice post.  UTM!!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 130
1mickylyons
September 10, 2010, 4:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Garth

Your easily pleased if you think were on our way up at this moment?Now taking barralds comments about realistic expectations you have to realise that for many of us midtable in the Championship was a gimme season after season so faffing about in the Conference is a massive shock to the system and JF is responsible for that.I really hope Woodsy pulls off promotion and then JF will be deserving in comments for backing his man etc and then lets talk about clawing our way up whilst were in the Conference were not even on the board.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 130
marinerjase
September 10, 2010, 5:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,636
Gold Stars: 147
Whilst the chairman admirably keeps putting money in, that doesnt escape numerous mistakes as well, which he is accountable for. With  position of responsibility comes territory for others to express their opinions and also they have to acknowledge said mistakes. Yes he's keeping us going, but he put himself in that position, he wanted it, and I personally dont feel the need to keep thanking him. He should be thanking us for continually supporting them! Without the fans..its nothing.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 130
sonik
September 10, 2010, 5:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from marinerjase
Whilst the chairman admirably keeps putting money in, that doesnt escape numerous mistakes as well, which he is accountable for. With  position of responsibility comes territory for others to express their opinions and also they have to acknowledge said mistakes. Yes he's keeping us going, but he put himself in that position, he wanted it, and I personally dont feel the need to keep thanking him. He should be thanking us for continually supporting them! Without the fans..its nothing.

He continues to thank the fans all the time Jase.  Clapping at the announcement of attendances every game being one instance.  I can also assure you that he does'nt expect thanking for what he contributes either.  He like you, me and others are dying for the success that we all crave.  I just hope that isn't to far away.  UTM!!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 130
1mickylyons
September 10, 2010, 5:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from sonik

He continues to thank the fans all the time Jase.  Clapping at the announcement of attendances every game being one instance.  I can also assure you that he does'nt expect thanking for what he contributes either.  He like you, me and others are dying for the success that we all crave.  I just hope that isn't to far away.  UTM!!

At least JF and MP have put money in unlike the paltry £500 the other 3 have forked out to be Directors unless i read it wrong?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 130
hertfordshire mariner
September 10, 2010, 6:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
Quoted from moosey_club

Very interesting and in my opinion slightly deluded answers,

his denial to being in a mess does not really stand up just because they have projected a loss, and have said they will cover the debt. John Fenty started the cost cutting at this club several years ago, as he rightly identified there was too much outgoing for survival, has this cost cutting achieved parity in the accounts....would certainly appear not, have these measures stabilised the finances of the club.....would appear not......have these measures improved our on pitch strength and league presence.......no. Have the measures to date enabled us to survive, well we are still here so yes. Did his financial plan for restructuring of the club aim to have us losing 500,000 - 700,000 per season.....well not sure what we were losing prior to his restructuring but it must have been an awful f\/cking lot if the current prediction is an improvement.
The most comical and worrying factor though, considering he is a businessman, is his lack of responce to the first question, what are you doing to minimise the costs of the club with the current year on year losses.......hoping for a cup run!!! FFS. I would have been slightly more reassured if he had said "well i buy a lottery ticket every week, sometimes two when its a rollover"  

While always supporting JF as he has flushed plenty of his own money on Town the last couple of seasons have seen some odd strategies and statements from him. Hopefully Mike Parker can take some of the strain and add another perspective to the financial plans of the club.

2000 - 2001 operating loss of £2,391,300

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 130
Swansea_Mariner
September 10, 2010, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from moosey_club

While i see your point there is a flaw...

JF sets the budgets for the forthcoming season based on a financial model balanced against required achievement.
Predicted income forms the basis of the financial model which is based upon predicted and historical gate receipts, sponsorship, commercial activity etc, so this figure becomes the budget limit to spend, you spend the anticipated income and theoretically if all works out you break even.
Where i believe the mistakes have been made are in the predicted income from gate receipts which have fallen short of the mark. It was within the last couple of seasons while we were in the current downward spiral that JF announced that we needed to average 5000 at home to break even, there was even a telegraph campaign i believe.
Now if we needed 5000 average to break even and were not achieving that then the financial model was flawed, so you are losing money every game you dont hit the predicted average. Add to that the additional over the predicted budget spend come January when we have been strengthening the team with loans, signings etc as the initial budget spend team were boll@cks and looking like relegation then you have further trouble, add to that even lower attendance as performances are poor makes you further out on the predicted model and losing even more money per week and the cherry on top is the offers and promotions to get a crowd in, even less buck per head creating further mis alignment with original.
In a nutshell....set a realistic budget reflecting the actual achievable attendance, do not include football fortune windfall as a maybe, stick to it. It is the only way the club has any chance of managing its way out of debt and becoming self sustaining.
People ask how can Hayes, Histon, Tamworth etc survive on measly gates, the answer could be they cut their cloth accordingly and prudently manage their finances.  

I do not know John Fenty but he is undoubtably acutely aware this financial model is flawed, that is why he has said over and over that the club needs to relocate to new facilities to attract a more diverse revenue source. This is not feasible at the present time so instead he is funding over and above what would allow us to break even to help us to achieve success  - why because he loves the club.

Eventually the national economic position will change and he will be able to build a new stadium which will attract the revenues that will allow us to compete in the football league based on income generated rather than Director investment. I have seen nothing to believe that he will not continue to manage the club financially through the next few years from his own, and Mike Parkers own money until the time at which a new stadium can be built.

I'm not sure how many times and how many different ways Fenty can say that he is committed to bearing the brunt of the financial plight of the club, he's being doing it for several years so on that basis I firmly believe there is no reason to worry about it in the short to medium term.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 130
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › GTFC Huge loss

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.