Reply: 50 - 85
Roast Em Bobby
June 21, 2010, 7:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
1979 League Cup 5th Round replay v Wolves at Derby's County Ground  - we lost and Wolves went on to win the final with a winner by Andy Gray
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 85
barralad
June 21, 2010, 9:27am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from marinernige
Man City in the league cup,about 1976,Main Road was a rough old place to go, Town lost 2-1,local kids used to take 50p of all the cars to'look after' them. Long journey back across the woodhead pass.

It was 78. We gave a group of kids £1.00 to look after the car. When we got back to it they stolen the cassette player but locked the car up again! My mate decided to report it to the Police and on the way to a Police Station we hit a Reliant Robin at an unmarked junction which disintegrated before our eyes leaving the driver holding the steering wheel like something out of a Roadrunner cartoon. Got home at 5 a.m.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 85
barralad
June 21, 2010, 9:31am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
17.9.66 Brighton v GTFC. Town won 2-0 (Tees scored both but I admit I had to look that bit up!) We lived down there then so doesn't really count.

First away match back in Grimsby was Lincoln 2 Town 1 in the League Cup in 1970. It was a night match. We went in BenBowers grandads Bedford van!! Town scored first and missed a twice taken penalty. The only other thing I remember is Town fans invading the pitch led by a bugler!!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 85
NorthLeedsMariner
June 21, 2010, 9:34am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +11
Stoke Away, early 90's - Town needed to win to get promoted to then 2nd division. We drew and won the last game against Exeter I think.

Abiding memories was of 1000's of Stoke fans invading the pitch and running at us in the away end....

<*))))))><
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 85
ginnywings
June 21, 2010, 9:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad

It was 78. We gave a group of kids £1.00 to look after the car. When we got back to it they stolen the cassette player but locked the car up again! My mate decided to report it to the Police and on the way to a Police Station we hit a Reliant Robin at an unmarked junction which disintegrated before our eyes leaving the driver holding the steering wheel like something out of a Roadrunner cartoon. Got home at 5 a.m.

My mate got hit by a Reliant Robin while walking across a junction down Park St.

It was braking as it approached the end of the street and my mate had time to jump in the air and he landed on the bonnet.The thing just collapsed and my mate rolled off unhurt.

Funny as fook.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 85
Townfantom
June 21, 2010, 9:50am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: -1
1-1 against notts county few years ago, I only recently started going to away games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 85
June 21, 2010, 10:54am
Guest User
Quoted from NorthLeedsMariner
Stoke Away, early 90's - Town needed to win to get promoted to then 2nd division. We drew and won the last game against Exeter I think.

Abiding memories was of 1000's of Stoke fans invading the pitch and running at us in the away end....

Hmmm, I was at that game. Police horses and the lot. I remember them throwing the corner flags at us too.

What was it all about? "Revenge" for what happened at BP earlier in the season?
Reply: 57 - 85
Marinermaiden
June 21, 2010, 4:23pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
My first ever away game was at Notts County - David Ellery was the referee (he was shocking!) he sent off Rhys Wilmott and Graham Rodger, we had to put Tommy Watson in goal - he made them retake a penalty which they still didn't score from then Gary Lund popped up and scored against us anyway!! 0-1 defeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 85
Brazilnut
June 21, 2010, 4:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Crewe about 1978

you sure

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › First ever Town AWAY game

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.