9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
oldfootballer
June 20, 2010, 10:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +21 / -2
Approval: +8
Quoted from carrot top
Lincoln away 71/72 season. We got thrashed 3-0. It was a night match, crowd 15,015. We didn't lose many that season but went up under McMenemy.
I remember walking away from Sincil Bank with my old mate Dave Solway (RIP) and a lincoln fan ran past us and nicked my scarf from my neck. Fantastic atmosphere at the ground. How many Div 4 games can attract 15,015 these days eh.

I can add further to that game, I was taking a throw in and it was at the open side at Sincil Bank and just as I was going to throw the ball a Police guy was taking a Town supporter who I new very well and he had a knife in his back, could not believe it, he ended up alright, bit of a character at the time and now he is one of the most respected people in the Town.
OLDFOOTBALLER

when the ball is on the ground everybody is the same size its what you do with the ball that matters m/http/thisis.co.uk/274236/signature/gtfc-soldier-aphanfc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 85
Cumbrian Mariner
June 20, 2010, 10:00pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +304
FA Cup away at Coventry, 3rd Feb 1973 - my 7th birthday!  Robbed by a Mick Coop penalty in about the 93rd minute, gutted all the way home in my dad's mates Morris Minor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 85
hertfordshire mariner
June 20, 2010, 10:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
Quoted from USAMariner
Was living down south at the time, so the firs "away" game was the Wimbledon cup game - actually got to meet Bobby Gould in the ticket office when we went to get our tickets.

When I moved back to Town, I think was Bolton away when we went 1-0 up, 3-1 down and then scored twice in the last 10 minutes to draw 3-3.

if its the same game iam thinking of i was there to. groves scored twice i think. that was my fave season as a town fan. went to loads of away game and mostly traveled by train. good times

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 85
Madeleymariner
June 20, 2010, 10:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
If someone can tell me which game came first out of these then that was the one late 70s at a guess?

League Cup Replay match drew with WOLVES then went to Derby for the 2nd replay

2-1 away win at Northampton on a Tuesday evening to win promotion,  I remember standing behind a rope by the sidelines as the old ground only had a stand at one side and 1 end I think.

1-0 away at Everton, league cup

Scunny (I lived there as a kid and teen) I think we drew 2-2, Wainman was in goal.

Lost 1-0 away at Coventry evening cup match

Halifax away won 1-0

Old age catching up and I just can't remember the defining moment  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 85
gary_elton
June 20, 2010, 10:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
1 - 1 away at Hull... the infamous trip of the almost sinking ferry... what year was that ?
around early sixties... Ron Cockerill was playing I remember that....

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 85
theicenian
June 20, 2010, 10:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from gary_elton
1 - 1 away at Hull... the infamous trip of the almost sinking ferry... what year was that ?
around early sixties... Ron Cockerill was playing I remember that....

It was you that nearly tipped us over rushing to get off first was it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 85
gary_elton
June 20, 2010, 10:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
chuckle... when the skipper took the ferry back into the humber and refused to dock until folk stayed where they were ? ha ha ha I remember being frightened as the thing almost tipped over    

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 85
marinernige
June 20, 2010, 11:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +578
Gold Stars: 17
Man City in the league cup,about 1976,Main Road was a rough old place to go, Town lost 2-1,local kids used to take 50p of all the cars to'look after' them. Long journey back across the woodhead pass.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 85
ginnywings
June 20, 2010, 11:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from oldfootballer
[/b]

I can add further to that game, I was taking a throw in and it was at the open side at Sincil Bank and just as I was going to throw the ball a Police guy was taking a Town supporter who I new very well and he had a knife in his back, could not believe it, he ended up alright, bit of a character at the time and now he is one of the most respected people in the Town.
OLDFOOTBALLER

Bonzo?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 85
conscorner
June 21, 2010, 7:18am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
Northampton Town - at the County Ground in 1979 - Mariners won 2-1 (Cumming, Waters)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › First ever Town AWAY game

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.