This thread currently has 14,208 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
JazzMariner
June 19, 2010, 9:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +8 / -6
Quoted from theicenian
I'm distinctly unimpressed by the Telegraphs urge to publish photographs before people have actually been charged never mind convicted of anything. In their usual way they go charging in with only half the facts and act as judge and jury.  

The point being ofcourse how accurate are the photos,were they taken on the day,were the folks involved on the pitch ,in the stand etc etc.  What happened to innocent until PROVED guilty.  According to the Telegraph it's guilty until proved innocent. By this I do not in any way defend those who actually caused mayhem but in the country I was born into there USED to be something akin to justice and this is not it.

Whilst I am not a fan of the GT, why are you giving them stick over this? I would suspect that every single regional newspaper, all national rags and every tv news organisation has done the same, so why stick the knife in on the GT?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 115
theicenian
June 19, 2010, 10:37am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from JazzMariner

Whilst I am not a fan of the GT, why are you giving them stick over this? I would suspect that every single regional newspaper, all national rags and every tv news organisation has done the same, so why stick the knife in on the GT?  

You may be right that every regional paper does it but the GT covers our game in our area and is supposedly our local paper. My quible isn't with the prosecution of those that misbehaved,it is my belief that they should be prosecuted afterall they have broken the law. My beef is simple,you cannot simply post photos in the paper saying these are hooligans without proof. Sceptical,yes cos most times the CPS will not prosecute someone simply on CCTV evidence alone nor still photos. The solicitors will have a field day claiming their clients were convicted before they come to court. A more circumspect method could have been adopted but simply labeling everyone a hooligan is leaving all sorts of loopholes for a decent defence to wriggle through. There are,as has been been pointed out degrees of guilt,which are simply brushed over by simply tarring everyone with the same brush. Yes going on the pitch is illegal but are you going to treat someone who wanders onto the pitch the same as someone who wrecks the fabric of the ground or who attempts to assault the police or stewards?

All I'm really saying is this gungho approach to journalism,whether it is in the GT or The Little Snoring Advertiser is wrong because it does not give folks the right to defend themselves. Those that have done wrong should be prosecuted but there is no proof that those photos were taken on the pitch,or in the stand or outside the ground is there. Given the shambles that was the stewarding and policing and even the ticket sales it is certain there will be mistakes made over identification and participation so simply printing photos and saying these are hooligans is a mistake.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 115
dapperz fun pub
June 19, 2010, 11:02am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
allways thought in this country you are inocent untill proven guilty,fair enough if convicted of anything publish pictures but the telewag whos recent headlines include a dog bit a postman havent got anything else to print. someone earlier mentioned the ginger lad not doing anything well ive seen youtube footage of him throwing something so hes fooked
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 115
STB
June 19, 2010, 11:20am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
The only criminals on the day were the management and team of GTFC.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 115
dapperz fun pub
June 19, 2010, 11:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from STB
The only criminals on the day were the management and team of GTFC.

are you including jon fenty (con) in that ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 115
dapperz fun pub
June 19, 2010, 11:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from immariner
All who went on the pitch should be given banning orders. It is a criminal offence and they all knew it. Nothing to celebrate, obviously, why go on the pitch? These people aren't as innocent as some would like to make out. Trouble was going to happen, going on to the pitch at least makes them a sympathiser and at worst a brain dead knuckle dragger. I'd rather not be surrounded by either.

i imagine there was a lot of pitch invasions around the country so would you ban everyone who encroached the pitch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 115
JonnyK
June 19, 2010, 2:08pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +18
Quoted from immariner
All who went on the pitch should be given banning orders. It is a criminal offence and they all knew it. Nothing to celebrate, obviously, why go on the pitch? These people aren't as innocent as some would like to make out. Trouble was going to happen, going on to the pitch at least makes them a sympathiser and at worst a brain dead knuckle dragger. I'd rather not be surrounded by either.

What an amazingly bone-headed and ridiculous comment to make.  I only wish you were just a WUM on a mission.  I 'encroached on to the playing surface' after the final whistle, but mostly to calm down a few mates who were clearly overcome on the day and affected, like a lot of us were by a bit of alcohol.  Some people were there to cause trouble, some people were on the pitch to cause trouble, but a lot weren't.  Illegal it may be to go on the pitch, but get in the real world.  It happens, right in front of police and stewards all over the country and they don't do anything.  

Tarring a lot of peopole with the same brush coz you have nothing better do says an awful lot about you.  I don't go for following other people's opinions of posters on an internet forum, but the chap who inferred you probably had bullying issues seems spot on to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 115
DoggerBank
June 19, 2010, 3:41pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Since the GET started publishing photographs of convicted law brakers leaving court,from drink drivers to petty criminals, why does the GET feel the need to dipict them with a cigarette in their mouths,does it somehow make the more hidiously evil because they smoke?
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 115
brad_gtfc
June 19, 2010, 5:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
immariner, what a tool. Get a grip.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 115
brad_gtfc
June 19, 2010, 5:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
I recognised 3 of them. Half of the people who have been arrested haven't been charged with any offences, the case will be the same with these 12 I should think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hooligans in paper

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.