5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
December 21, 2012, 11:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,838
Gold Stars: 264
We are so hard to score against. They had a lot of possesion but we are so disciplined and organised its like facing a wall at times. Pond is just immense and the midfield two are very dogged and do a great amount of pressuring and cutting angles off. Would love to get all the loanees here because that Wrexham team are the best team in this league (except us) but we matched them and beat them. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
oldun
December 22, 2012, 12:43am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Fact is we are very difficult to beat. Work rate excellent all round. Must mention Marshall who worked his socks off all game. Not everything came off going forward, but I think he could develop into an excellent player and can play on either wing. He is tall enough to win some headers and is strong on the ball. If you don't concede you are always in with a shout and 1 0 was a good result in a tight game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
80sglory
December 22, 2012, 1:08am
Guest User
Fantastic result and most probably a deserved one for the dogged performance and the tactics employed IMO.

Constantly amazed how accurate Paul Hurst is in his analysis and evaluations !
On Premier he thought it could be tight and paid tribute to the players hard work after the final whistle.
Spot on yet again !
If he wasn't a manager sure he could get a job in public relations. (although suppose it's part of it...)

Such was the importance of keeping cards close to chests, pre-match tactics were kept quiet as a doormouse by Hurst (and on here).
But guess we all wondered if we could cope with their 3 in the middle and how we would ?...
Quite rightly everyone worked their socks off to close them down.  
Obviously this was the instruction pre-match and after half time.

Thought we got the shakes again a bit before the break but it's nothing to complain about, only to be aware of in future.
And thought we generally looked rock solid.
Was a bit concerned pre-match about Hatton defending at right back against a top team but tbf thought he did well enough even though Wrexham did come down our left side a few times 1st half. Interesting to note how Marshall & Neilson chipped in defensively too.

Generally thought we looked more dangerous going forward and they looked better in possession. (as expected)

Result could have gone either way and draw might have been fair, but you can't ask for more effort or application than what we saw.

Whilst I thought Wrexham had a possible weakness pre-match at set pieces that we failed to exploit, ironically it was a full back (who didn't even have a particularly great game) that made the difference.

So being objective, slight concerns over possession were merited (and to some extent still are but thought Niven passed it well tonight).
But when you've got different threats all over the park and look a big threat going forward, you've always got a chance of nicking one if you can be solid, hang in there and weather the storm.

HUGE game and a GREAT result  - well done !!!  
Reply: 32 - 44
moosey_club
December 22, 2012, 2:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,338
Gold Stars: 229
If Wrexham had a decent striker they would be miles clear IMO...but they dont. Very happy to see Morrell limp off...stretching for a ball semed to do his hamstring, they are so much better with him leading the line.

Very similar to the first game, tight affair but thats two games in which Wrexham seemed pretty toothless...testament to our defensive display i think.

Could have been a more comfortable victory if on several occasions players could have squared it or looked up, Cook twice and Neilson going alone when others better placed.

Overall the result was fair, i had it even first half but pretty dominant second half.........and the ref....FFS! Hope his incompetence came across on the telly so he may get relegated.

Good start to the festive period and with Newport/ FGR /Wrexham playing each other over the next week or so  another 4/6 points would be very useful.

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
Havelock the Dane
December 22, 2012, 8:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Niven is ace.

A short post, but a pithy one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
oldun
December 22, 2012, 8:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Well done also to the groundstaff. Although it was fortunate there was a break in the weather, the playing surface was excellent and did not cut up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
ginnywings
December 22, 2012, 8:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Thought it was the sort of performance that wins leagues. Didn't play particularly well but got the all important three points. To be fair to Wrexham, they are a good side and still have a better midfield than we do after three years in the conference, which is a worry. Think we have the better defence though and slightly better in the forward areas, which gave us the very slightest of edges.

We took the only guilt edged chance of the night and are now in a great position to push on. At least we would be if we were not about to lose Neilson and especially Hannah at a crucial period.

Don't think the three points would have come our way without those two last night but you never know. It will be interesting to see how we fare over the holidays without our main goal threat. Could be make or break but i can't see us scoring many with Cook, Pearson and Southwell up top.

The defence will have to be at their best but i think we have the best centre half in the league in Pond, with Miller and Pearson not far behind. The rest of the back five are very good too and Wood is very unlucky to be benched. Him and Miller would walk into just about all the sides in this division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
aaron rattray
December 22, 2012, 10:17am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Even without Hannah neilson and Marshall we are a very tough team to beat

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
Tinymariner
December 22, 2012, 10:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I watched it on tv and didn't think the ref was too bad. Only a couple of wrong decisions but that can be expected, as they are only human. He definitely was not incompetent.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
cmackenzie4
December 22, 2012, 1:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.22
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from aaron rattray
Even without Hannah neilson and Marshall we are a very tough team to beat

Agree with this Aaron, But i am struggling to see were the goals would come from.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.