5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Alfie
December 21, 2012, 10:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from AndyGTFC
Fantastic win that could be vital to our season.

It was a very tight game with hardly any clear cut chances. For most of the game, we weren't quite firing going forward but we took the one chance we had and were fantastic throughout defensively. Pond was terrific and Miller would start for virtually any other side in this league.

Correction, he'd start every game for every team in this league and a few in the league above imo. Unbelievable strength in depth at the back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
Codswede
December 21, 2012, 10:50pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
I do see what he does, but I spend a lot of time watching him just jogging about trying to guess where the ball will go. If he nullifies the oppositions best players then yeah I see why he's there, but there's times I wonder why Thanoj couldn't do the job with a much better final pass. Completely different players and think the duo are right to switch between games where Thanoj gets time on the ball. Don't see Niven as a weak link by any means, just reminds me of yard dog Stacey.

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
jimgtfc
December 21, 2012, 10:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,124
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Codswede
I do see what he does, but I spend a lot of time watching him just jogging about trying to guess where the ball will go. If he nullifies the oppositions best players then yeah I see why he's there, but there's times I wonder why Thanoj couldn't do the job with a much better final pass. Completely different players and think the duo are right to switch between games where Thanoj gets time on the ball. Don't see Niven as a weak link by any means, just reminds me of yard dog Stacey.

As much as i like thanoj, theres no way he could do niven's job, not strong enough, cant tackle as well, lacks positional and tactical sense and experience. With a midfield of Disley and Thanoj we would not have won that game.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
cod.gtfc
December 21, 2012, 11:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
i hate people saying niven is poor !! alot of people assume all midfielders are only good if they attack, will Niven is a great player, my MOTM

Agreed I love Niven, unfortunately for him hes the type of midfielder we have been missing for the last few years and the type that you don't notice except when they make mistakes.

His mistakes are that he can't pass to save his life, so its even more noticeable. If he could he wouldn't be  at this level. He's a big reason we are so good at the back because he breaks up play so much. wouldn't say he was MoM tonight but he did his job well and he isn't poor and rarely has a poor game, passing aside.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
BIGChris
December 21, 2012, 11:04pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I havent seen two better sides than the two in actiona t Bundell park tonight.

Evenly matached and both sides gave their all.

Pond was immense, Miller slotted in alongside him and despite Wrexham having plenty of possession they never opened us up. Someone went on about all their chances, i can't actually recall any clear chances as I can't think we had many either?

Cook won everything in the air. That is clearly a wekness in Wrexhams game. They miss Creighton who was injured early in the season. Neilson in hs last game gave his all and deserved his ovation at the end. He has had a good three months here which i think has benefitted him and GTFC.

Niven does what he does so well. He isnt a ball playing modfielder and has his limitations but he allows us to play. Disley had a good game too as they were often outnumbered in midfield.

Overall one fantastic ball from Thomas and jonny on the spots finish was the difference which i think our 2nd haf display just about deserved.

Really buzzing for the players and fans and am looking forward to a terrific atmosphere in the away areas at Sincil Bank on Boxing day
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
bradzmilne
December 21, 2012, 11:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Wasn't the most attractive of games to watch for a neutrals perspective. Fortunally none of us are neutrals!!!!
What a 3 points and a superbv start to the festive period - vital we kick on now over the next 3 games.
Cooky was emense today best i've seen him, think his settling down now.
Pond was just Pond, it is so vital we keep him. I still wouldn't mind him seeing him play cm - he would be class there. Feel a bit for Miller, comes in does he job and doesnt play for weeks. Would mind seeing:
Miller Pearson
Pondy Thanoj/Nivern/Disley
As if you remember he is a cm that can play cb.
Hannah is a goal scorer, he gets one chance in 90 minutes. We win the game 1-0. Every team from sunday league to champions league needs a goal scorer even if thats all they do. The prospect of him and hearn playing together are what dreams are made off!
This is the best town team i've seen properly. Not that take much competiton  
Roll on Wednesday!
UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
BIGChris
December 21, 2012, 11:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from bradzmilne

As if you remember he is a cm that can play cb.
UTM

I remember him telling Fleetwood he wouldnt play in midfield  & instead he went out on loan to a lower level club just to play at centre back!
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
bradzmilne
December 21, 2012, 11:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from BIGChris

I remember him telling Fleetwood he wouldnt play in midfield  & instead he went out on loan to a lower level club just to play at centre back!

I heard an interesting rumour about him leaving fleetwood, not sure how true though - so wont say anything haha

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
Eastendmariner
December 21, 2012, 11:17pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
ok it was,t pretty but wrex are a Good SIDE  let,s all take heart 2 derby games coming up and not take things for granted believe me it will be totally diff on Boxing day !! our three thumbed friends will be trying there hardest !!  one game at a time !!UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
petethemariner
December 21, 2012, 11:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Niven does the job for us that Claude Makelele did for Chelsea when they were all but unbeatable  - at an obviously much higher level, he is priceless at breaking up opposition attacks - its not only excellent defensive players that have contributed to a fantastic defensive record, he  has played  a big part in that too, OK you have to counter the Niven style with the fact that he isn't going to be a threat going forward, or a creative passer - if he was he would be playing several tiers above us!
Disley is also an excellent player, although perhaps just a tad too similar to Niven, meaning when the ball breaks loose  at the edge of the opposition penalty area they are  BOTH often too deep to capitalise. Makalele had Lampard as a counter balance, perhaps Dis needs to gamble going forward a bit more, but hey- ho at the moment everything is brilliant results wise ( no tempting fate intended!).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.