5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Alfie
December 21, 2012, 10:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Wow, tense.
In truth, probably not our finest display. Lacked a cutting edge up until the goal. Wrexham overran us in midfield with their three well on top.

Absolutely superb ball to Aswad Thomas for the goal. He'd been having a shocker up until that but put a peach of a ball into Hannah who's always there and always dispatches us.

Pond was an absolute rock at the back with Miller fitting in seemlessly. McKeown dealt with a couple of dodgy pass backs but, despite pressure, didn't have to make a proper save. Hatton now established himself as first choice right back.

Going forward, as ever, the only concern and it's going to be a loooong couple of games until Ross is back. Cookie looked clumsy again today.

Neilson and Marshall okay in flits and starts with the former getting a great reception when he went off. Appreciated it clearly but, unfortunately, don't think we'll see him again. Shame as he showed glimpses and touches of brilliance again tonight.

Wrexham are a good team and will definitely make the play offs. Definitely deserved a point but when we've got a predator like Hannah in our team, it's always going to swing the pendulum in our favour.

Onwards and upwards. If anyone doubted our title credentials before that, they've just been well and truly silenced. GOING UP!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
December 21, 2012, 10:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,526
Gold Stars: 544
Agree with all of that apart from the cookie thing! Thought he was immense today, winning everything and battling! UTM Bring On the Gimps!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
Codswede
December 21, 2012, 10:25pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
Everyone excellent, Niven quite awful IMO, but I allow that he may cause dizza to play a better game and Disley in this form is up there with any midfielder in the league!

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
MuddyWaters
December 21, 2012, 10:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Pond outstanding. End of.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
Tommy
December 21, 2012, 10:28pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Good second half. As the commentators kept saying, Scott and Hurst obviously got us to press them better second half which worked for us.

Dis and Del Boy got stuck in to their midfield, and we got Neilson on the ball a bit more.

Special mentions for me should go to Neilson who worked as hard as anyone out there when it could've been easy for him to slack off a bit in his last game. And Miller who continues to come in from the cold and put in solid performances.

I thought the game as a whole summed us up really - solid at the back, and likely to score if we create a chance going forward.

The more the second half wore on i was thinking to myself - if we just create one good chance i fancy us to win this.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
Alfie
December 21, 2012, 10:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from Tommy

I thought the game as a whole summed us up really - solid at the back, and likely to score if we create a chance going forward.

The more the second half wore on i was thinking to myself - if we just create one good chance i fancy us to win this.

This.
We're not pretty to watch and definitely not the best footballing team in the league but we're SO hard to beat. German efficiency... ODD!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
jimgtfc
December 21, 2012, 10:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,125
Gold Stars: 46
I think its a good job Niven cant pass a ball, he wouldn't be at this level if he could. His positional sense and discipline are second to none, i lose count of the amount of times he breaks up the opposition. He made a great run tracking Cielslewics on the counter in the second half that potentially stopped them scoring. Worth his weight in gold imo.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
AdamHaddock
December 21, 2012, 10:33pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,842
Gold Stars: 26
Shocking in the first half - Wrexham will be kicking themselves for not punishing us with the possession they had and chances created. Second half - a bit better but still very frustrating going forward. Certain individuals want an age on the ball when there are options to play someone in or have a shot. The difference was Hannah of course, instinctively sliding in to finish off a low cross (Aswad's only decent contribution to the game).

I'm actually dreading Lincoln now. Got 0-0 written all over it with defeat at Mansfield duly following if Cook, Colbeck et al don't step up.

Putting all that to one side, great to be back on top.
We can now sit back and wait for the mighty Braintree to shock Newport tomorrow

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
barralad
December 21, 2012, 10:35pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
The game could have gone either way with the difference being Hannah's nouse for goal. To be truthful he hadn't done a great deal up to that point but a great finish from easily the best pass of the night.

There was obviously concern about Wrexham's midfield capabilities and Disley played a lot deeper than he has in recent games.

A couple of notes of negativity: Both Neilsen and Marshall tried to do too much with the ball on several occasions. Cook won loads of ball in the air but we didn't profit from it at all.

Hannah got MOM but for me Pond was absolutely miles in front of anything on the pitch. One tackle in the box in the first half was Bobby Moore-esque.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
davmariner
December 21, 2012, 10:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,987
Gold Stars: 79
Marshall poor IMO. Nowhere near as good as Neilson.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.