Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now the inquest
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Now the inquest

This thread currently has 15,396 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimPol
April 22, 2024, 1:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -782
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Teestogreen
And hopefully , the new better recruits won’t have to play pre - season at Cleethorpes Town and Grimsby Borough to get injured - as usually happens each season - Groundhog Day - so frustrating

Surely they have to play someone so the Coaches can asses the squad, and if the local team(s) are up for it why not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 159
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 22, 2024, 1:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,761
Gold Stars: 81

One thing I would like to steer clear of is academy players from Championship other PL clubs who like to play the game as if it is a glorified training session. That is the way they have been brought up but it doesn't really work in league 2.

Think that is more to do with selecting the right players off the top of my head, in recent years, we have had Embleton, Robson, Richardson (when fit), Glennon, Benson, Smith and the blond haired central defender from Bristol City. All of these had the right attitude and were good enough to play in L2.

Lincoln had Morgan Rogers and Brennan Johnson in the year they made the playoffs so quality lads are about we’ve just not always got our choices right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 159
RonMariner
April 22, 2024, 1:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,789
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GrimPol

Surely they have to play someone so the Coaches can asses the squad, and if the local team(s) are up for it why not?

I think some of the concerns are about the poor playing surfaces causing injury.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 159
LocalLadGTFC
April 22, 2024, 1:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from RonMariner

I think some of the concerns are about the poor playing surfaces causing injury.

Linden Club is probably a better pitch than half the ones we've played on this season  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 113 - 159
diehardmariner
April 22, 2024, 2:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I’d be very disappointed if we kept Hunt. at the expense of Green. One wants to play for us the other seems like he isn’t that bothered.

Hunt is under contract. Green is out of contract.
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 159
MarinerDevil
April 22, 2024, 3:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from diehardmariner

Hunt is under contract. Green is out of contract.

We do have a one-year option on Green though, so could easily keep him if we wanted to. I'm 50/50 on him. I think it will come down to his wages, if he's a relatively high earner and we can bring in a midfielder who can add the same sort of physicality, and who we're confident is better, then we should get rid. Otherwise he's worth another year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 159
MuddyWaters
April 22, 2024, 4:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I’d be very disappointed if we kept Hunt. at the expense of Green. One wants to play for us the other seems like he isn’t that bothered.

I’m surprised that you would keep someone who is not suited to playing the ‘game style’ the owners want.
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 159
diehardmariner
April 22, 2024, 4:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Very true.  But not keeping Hunt isn't really an option.

I've spent far too long on this forum defending, backing, praising and showing frustration at his lack of game time.  But putting that to one side, Hunt isn't likely to appeal to anyone willing to pick up the final year of his contract.

His career so far has amounted to a decent third of a Conference campaign with us and a six or seven game run where he impressed with a York side who ended up staying in the Conference by the skin of their teeth.  He kept threatening to break into a Wednesday first team but never did, didn't impress in a Ragarse Rovers Oldham side in League Two and has failed to gain the trust of 3 different sets of managers in 2 seasons at League Two level with us.  Six months before he signed a 3-year deal for us he signed a new contract at Sheff Weds, it's incredibly likely we would have given him a fairly decent contract to sign for us.    Who's going to take that on?

If you're a League Two side are you looking at the lad who failed to break into the fourth worst side in the division?  Might be a few Conference sides who would like him (his best football has come there and I'd say he's proved he can cut it at that level) but there isn't any money sides there now.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 159
Hagrid
April 22, 2024, 4:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m surprised that you would keep someone who is not suited to playing the ‘game style’ the owners want.

You and I agree on most things- With the exception of Hunt-!

Does it sit right with you that the owners are actively dictating the way with play? Deeply uncomfortable with me, they are not football men, for me they shouldnt have any say in the style of football we play, or the types of player we are identifying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 159
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 22, 2024, 4:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Hagrid

You and I agree on most things- With the exception of Hunt-!

Does it sit right with you that the owners are actively dictating the way with play? Deeply uncomfortable with me, they are not football men, for me they shouldnt have any say in the style of football we play, or the types of player we are identifying

I really don't agree. In any business the tone is set from the top, the owners/leaders say 'this is where we're going and this is what we want it to look like'. They then recruit the right people to deliver that vision. I'm sure Artell was told the vision and he agreed that he could deliver it.

I would be worried if they were telling DA who to play and what positions certain players should play but there is no hint of that. How to get there (the execution of it) is DA's job but not the vision, that would be the tail wagging the dog.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 159
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now the inquest

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.