16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
April 23, 2024, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Non-footballing staff is a different kettle though.  Most will have a relatively short period of notice on both sides.  Hunt has a year and (he's not alone in this) will do well to get close to matching the terms he's got here.

Let's just wait and see.

Great memory on Joel Grant, Abdul.  
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 159
pontoonlew
April 23, 2024, 11:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I think it’d underestimated just what damage a complete overhaul can do. If some of the players we don’t seem quite good enough become squad players then that’s worth doing as opposed to taking your chances in the window.

Green is a good example of it, I personally think we’d do well to replicate a player like Green who would be willing to probably not play every week, especially given he’s undoubtedly improved as a footballer recently.

There’s more than enough that should go, but I do think we should be careful with this mentality of ‘bin the lot them’.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 159
jamesgtfc
April 23, 2024, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pontoonlew
I think it’d underestimated just what damage a complete overhaul can do. If some of the players we don’t seem quite good enough become squad players then that’s worth doing as opposed to taking your chances in the window.

Green is a good example of it, I personally think we’d do well to replicate a player like Green who would be willing to probably not play every week, especially given he’s undoubtedly improved as a footballer recently.

There’s more than enough that should go, but I do think we should be careful with this mentality of ‘bin the lot them’.

I think binning the lot of them would be problematic as we then need to recruit 24 instead of about 12, but I do think futures should be under review regardless of contract status.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 159
Stew0_0
April 23, 2024, 1:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Not sure if complete overall would be true statement as i wouldnt be adverse to this starting next year

GK
New keeper
New No.2

RB
New RB/WB x 2

LB
New LB/WB x 2

CB
Harvey Rodgers
Doug Tharme
Toby Mullarkey
Niall Maher (New Contract)

RW
2 x new wingers

LW
Charles Vernam
1 x new winger

CM
Curtis Thompson
Harry Clifton (offer new contract)
2 x new midfielders

ST
Danny Rose
2 x new striker
Donavan Wilson
Cameron Gardner

I would release, Eastwood, Hunt and Pyke from their contracts
All the out of contract players apart from Maher and Clifton let go.

All this meaning for a starting 11 we would have the spine mostly in place with the exception of GL, RB, LB, a winger and 1 or 2 CM's, ST
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 159
LocalLadGTFC
April 23, 2024, 1:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Stew0_0
Not sure if complete overall would be true statement as i wouldnt be adverse to this starting next year

GK
New keeper
New No.2

RB
New RB/WB x 2

LB
New LB/WB x 2

CB
Harvey Rodgers
Doug Tharme
Toby Mullarkey
Niall Maher (New Contract)

RW
2 x new wingers

LW
Charles Vernam
1 x new winger

CM
Curtis Thompson
Harry Clifton (offer new contract)
2 x new midfielders

ST
Danny Rose
2 x new striker
Donavan Wilson
Cameron Gardner

I would release, Eastwood, Hunt and Pyke from their contracts
All the out of contract players apart from Maher and Clifton let go.

All this meaning for a starting 11 we would have the spine mostly in place with the exception of GL, RB, LB, a winger and 1 or 2 CM's, ST

What would be the point of releasing Eastwood? We know more than likely he'll be number 2 next season and he's shown that he is more than capable of stepping in when required and has 3 clean sheets in 5 games. More than capable of being a number 2 and fighting for the number 1 spot.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 144 - 159
IlkleyMariner
April 23, 2024, 1:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

What would be the point of releasing Eastwood? We know more than likely he'll be number 2 next season and he's shown that he is more than capable of stepping in when required and has 3 clean sheets in 5 games. More than capable of being a number 2 and fighting for the number 1 spot.

Fully agree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 159
Maringer
April 23, 2024, 2:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
Eastwood has done fine since he came back into the team. Good handling, no real chance of saving the goals which he conceded (that I saw at BP) and a massive kick which is helpful when it's windy as it so often is during the season. I sound like Slade now, talking about a goalkeeper's massive kick!

I don't think Cartwright was that bad, either, and I don't blame him for many of the goals we conceded, but he probably wasn't quite ready for the pressure of a relegation scrap.

As Eastwood is under contract, I suspect we'll sign somebody to compete with him for the position. Might be Cartwright again, who knows? It depends what Artell thinks about Eastwood, I suppose.

Otherwise, I'd release/attempt to move on/not attempt retain the following players:

Glennon, Amos, Maher
Holohan, Green, Khan, Eisa, Hunt (?), Gnahoua
Pyke, Wilson

As I think I've already said in this thread, I just don't fancy Wilson, though he's done OK in the goalscoring stakes. I'd be fine if he stayed, but don't think he will.

Of the current loan players, I'd try to keep Smith. I don't think Hume is very good at defending (and is especially crap in the air), so doesn't offer enough for me. I wouldn't be averse to Andrews returning on loan next season, as I think he can improve further and has done well at times this season, even in a rubbish midfield. Not sure I'd be trying to sign him full-time, however. I think Ainley could be a very good signing if his fitness is up to scratch and he's recovered from his treatment. On Saturday, I think he showed a lot of what we've been missing in midfield for much of the season.

Obikwu is a no for me as he looked clueless way too often, even when he nicked the odd goal here and there. Same goes for Wood who has a vast amount to learn yet. He could do with sticking a few kebabs down his neck as well as he looks like he could be blown away by a strong wind at the moment.

I just don't rate Hunt, but think he'll perhaps get (yet) another chance to prove me wrong as he's under contract. As I've said before, I like Gnahoua as he has a lot of ability, but his injury record this season isn't good so we'll probably see him move on as well.

No idea about the youngsters as I haven't seen anything of them to be able to decide. Khouri has been one for the future for a long time but has been injured/ill so often, I've no idea if he's up to the job or not.

It is a big churn of players, but I really think a big change is required. With the players we have under contract (plus one or two we try to retain), I think we have a good basis for a more competent side. Let's face it, we'd all accept a solid season next year with perhaps a Cup run and a chance of getting into the play-offs. A play-off spot would be miles better than we've managed for decades, but I think it could potentially be possible.

Just got to get the players, of course. It doesn't really matter what formation or style of play you plan if the players aren't up to the job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 159
LocalLadGTFC
April 23, 2024, 3:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Eastwood has done fine since he came back into the team. Good handling, no real chance of saving the goals which he conceded (that I saw at BP) and a massive kick which is helpful when it's windy as it so often is during the season. I sound like Slade now, talking about a goalkeeper's massive kick!

I don't think Cartwright was that bad, either, and I don't blame him for many of the goals we conceded, but he probably wasn't quite ready for the pressure of a relegation scrap.

As Eastwood is under contract, I suspect we'll sign somebody to compete with him for the position. Might be Cartwright again, who knows? It depends what Artell thinks about Eastwood, I suppose.

Otherwise, I'd release/attempt to move on/not attempt retain the following players:

Glennon, Amos, Maher
Holohan, Green, Khan, Eisa, Hunt (?), Gnahoua
Pyke, Wilson

As I think I've already said in this thread, I just don't fancy Wilson, though he's done OK in the goalscoring stakes. I'd be fine if he stayed, but don't think he will.

Of the current loan players, I'd try to keep Smith. I don't think Hume is very good at defending (and is especially crap in the air), so doesn't offer enough for me. I wouldn't be averse to Andrews returning on loan next season, as I think he can improve further and has done well at times this season, even in a rubbish midfield. Not sure I'd be trying to sign him full-time, however. I think Ainley could be a very good signing if his fitness is up to scratch and he's recovered from his treatment. On Saturday, I think he showed a lot of what we've been missing in midfield for much of the season.

Obikwu is a no for me as he looked clueless way too often, even when he nicked the odd goal here and there. Same goes for Wood who has a vast amount to learn yet. He could do with sticking a few kebabs down his neck as well as he looks like he could be blown away by a strong wind at the moment.

I just don't rate Hunt, but think he'll perhaps get (yet) another chance to prove me wrong as he's under contract. As I've said before, I like Gnahoua as he has a lot of ability, but his injury record this season isn't good so we'll probably see him move on as well.

No idea about the youngsters as I haven't seen anything of them to be able to decide. Khouri has been one for the future for a long time but has been injured/ill so often, I've no idea if he's up to the job or not.

It is a big churn of players, but I really think a big change is required. With the players we have under contract (plus one or two we try to retain), I think we have a good basis for a more competent side. Let's face it, we'd all accept a solid season next year with perhaps a Cup run and a chance of getting into the play-offs. A play-off spot would be miles better than we've managed for decades, but I think it could potentially be possible.

Just got to get the players, of course. It doesn't really matter what formation or style of play you plan if the players aren't up to the job.

Wouldn't want both Eastwood and Cartwright as our options again, I don't think Cartwright is commanding enough right now to be a number 1 imo and would again leave us with a distinct lack of experience in goal.. i'd like someone that's a bit more commanding in the Crocombe mould.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 147 - 159
Maringer
April 23, 2024, 3:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Wouldn't want both Eastwood and Cartwright as our options again, I don't think Cartwright is commanding enough right now to be a number 1 imo and would again leave us with a distinct lack of experience in goal.. i'd like someone that's a bit more commanding in the Crocombe mould.

I wouldn't disagree with that but, other than Crocombe, I think the last commanding keeper we had was probably Davison (unless I'm forgetting somebody). A long time ago now! Henderson as well, of course, but we're not likely to sign somebody with his potential on loan again in a hurry. You don't get all that many 'commanding' keepers at this level which makes it doubly disappointing that we didn't try hard enough to retain Crocombe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 159
LocalLadGTFC
April 23, 2024, 3:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

I wouldn't disagree with that but, other than Crocombe, I think the last commanding keeper we had was probably Davison (unless I'm forgetting somebody). A long time ago now! Henderson as well, of course, but we're not likely to sign somebody with his potential on loan again in a hurry. You don't get all that many 'commanding' keepers at this level which makes it doubly disappointing that we didn't try hard enough to retain Crocombe.

I don't mean neccassarily commanding as in coming and claiming everything, but a bit more of a presence in the sticks and someone that marshalls the back four. I like Cartwright and think he'll go on to have a good career but you used to be able to hear Max marshalling his back 4 and talking to them.. Harvey not so much.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 149 - 159
16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Now the inquest

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.