14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
May 13, 2021, 12:16am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

I see its all kicking off yet again.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
May 13, 2021, 5:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The media representation of this conflict is as interesting as the conflict itself...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 136
DB
May 13, 2021, 7:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,046
Gold Stars: 390
I would have thought by now after decades of conflict in this area that the UN could have found a way for peace.

The unfortunate thing is that when you have extremists on one or both sides they won't compromise, which is probably why there is no peace. Then you have the political implications in both countries and the politics from other countries affecting the situation along with religion.

Finally, you have money. As with all wars, somebody is making a lot of money out of the supply of weapons etc. If all countries banned the supply of weapons, and materials to make weapons, to the Israeli's and Palestinians then the supply would dry up.  Peace would eventually break out and proper decent meaningful negotiations could take place.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 136
Manchester Mariner
May 13, 2021, 11:06am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from DB

Finally, you have money. As with all wars, somebody is making a lot of money out of the supply of weapons etc. If all countries banned the supply of weapons, and materials to make weapons, to the Israeli's and Palestinians then the supply would dry up.  Peace would eventually break out and proper decent meaningful negotiations could take place.

I saw something yesterday with Boris Johnson tweeting the 'UK being deeply concerned by the growing violence and civilian casualties in Israel and Palestine' juxtaposed with a news story headlined 'British arms exports to Israel reach record level.' It's rather similar to the UK giving aid to Yemen whilst selling all sorts of weapons to Saudi Arabia to bomb Yemen.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 136
DB
May 13, 2021, 2:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

Skillfully avoiding the fact that religion is the fundamental reason these people are fighting! Weird when you think they all represent the same god anyway.

My original words are:-
'Then you have the political implications in both countries and the politics from other countries affecting the situation along with religion.'

This seems to upset you for some reason so I'll amend them:-

Then you have religious implications, political implications in both countries, and politics from other countries affecting the situation.

I have in no way have ever defended religion as a means to instigate any sort of violence, troubles, conflicts, or wars. In rewriting my words I have put religion first and in no way trying to hide the fact it plays in this or any conflict.

I hope you are now happy with this wording.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 136
Biccys
May 13, 2021, 4:24pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Sorry my bad, I missed your initial religion mention. I'll amend.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 136
MarinerWY
May 13, 2021, 4:57pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Not sure religion is the fundamental reason. One of the major factors for sure, certainly entwined - put Jews and Muslims lived in Palestine long before the creation of the state of Israel, and I'd argue that a two-state solution that respected 1967 boundaries would enable peace. Its the continual infringement on Palestinian land through settlements and the backing of Israel as a geopolitical stronghold in the Middle East by US etc that has as much to answer for as religion does imo
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 136
KingstonMariner
May 13, 2021, 5:24pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
There’s an argument that even the 1967 boundaries represent a theft of Palestinian property in some areas. During the foundation of Israel many Palestinians were forced out of their homes to make way forward Jewish immigrants from Europe. That’s before you even begin to talk about the Occupied Territories and the more recent encroachments.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 136
MarinerWY
May 13, 2021, 6:14pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from KingstonMariner
There’s an argument that even the 1967 boundaries represent a theft of Palestinian property in some areas. During the foundation of Israel many Palestinians were forced out of their homes to make way forward Jewish immigrants from Europe. That’s before you even begin to talk about the Occupied Territories and the more recent encroachments.

For sure. I just genuinely think that when 1967 boundaries or even settlements just halted up till 2000 would go a huge way towards peace. Sure there might be the extreme faction still who would still want Israel wiped out but pretty sure I've seen research that suggests most Palestinians would accept a two state solution if settlement building stopped and Gaza was released from its mass imprisonment

Also the treatment of Arab population within Israel is disgusting
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 136
DB
May 13, 2021, 6:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Biccys
Sorry my bad, I missed your initial religion mention. I'll amend.

We all misread, not a problem. Peace

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 136
14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Israeli-Palestinian conflict

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.